Do You Want To Know More? SST Owners club; Past, Present and Future.

By tamoore

4 years ago

Stats

• 536 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by Pinless
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 119 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

28378940_195798561006928_2602119437497405735_n (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (6) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (4) (resized).jpg
Powder Coated (5) (resized).jpg
IMG_3341 (resized).jpg
IMG_5473 (resized).JPG
2017-02-19 20.15.18 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.14.55 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.15.05 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.15.12 (resized).jpg
2017-02-19 20.14.00 (resized).jpg
IMG_4910 (resized).JPG
06f79b9ed2549b9476acb85da52ab58dcda99cbf (resized).jpg
0efc47bf09ac70a39b3b897e2437d76f59491ab8-1 (resized).jpg
20170109_020405 (resized).jpg
20170109_020415 (resized).jpg

There are 536 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 4 years ago

Have you become a citizen? Do you want to, or have you sadly and prematurely renounced your citizenship?

This thread is for all things Starship Troopers.

Post pictures, mods, stories, testimonials or any other info showing SST to be the underrated gem we know it is.

What? You don't like it? I guess the Brain Bug has already gotten to you..

Well, did you want to live forever?

#2 4 years ago

Lol
I'm in!
But mine showed up non working so its still in project phase...

#3 4 years ago

I loved the book.
I enjoyed the movie. ( for what it was )
I was always kinda meh on the pin.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I loved the book.

Some people are not ready for citizenship. That's ok..... I guess....

#5 4 years ago

I like the game. I made a deal to buy one a little over a year ago that was i awesome shape; but the wife veto'd the purchase due to the play field toys. I'm not even kidding.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I like the game. I made a deal to buy one a little over a year ago that was i awesome shape; but the wife veto'd the purchase due to the play field toys. I'm not even kidding.

DENIED! That is a horrible story...

Wife is no fan of the bugs then, eh?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

DENIED! That is a horrible story...
Wife is no fan of the bugs then, eh?

Afraid not, she would have made a great citizen . . . stepping on the little bugs like the children doing her part to defend humanity.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I loved the book.

Agree with the first two. Totally disagree on the last.

LOVE the pinball. Bought one a couple months back. It was working when I looked at it and developed issues upon set up. I'm hoping they are minor and plan to reset the connectors. Been so busy lately I haven't even had a chance to do that.

Great game that can still be found for a fair price. That won't last long once people start to realize how fun the game is.

Cheers,
Duane

#9 4 years ago

I have two. Best sega game I've played..

The weather on Klandathu is beautiful this time of year!

-jon

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

I have two. Best sega game I've played..
The weather on Klandathu is beautiful this time of year!
-jon

Two?

Honorary president of the club, I'd say....

#11 4 years ago

ya, one of 'em came in a pkg deal. wouldn't normally have taken it but it was the only way for me to jump on a getaway.

#12 4 years ago

Who has LEDs in this game?
I'm getting ready to as soon as my new LEDs arrive.
F-ing Sega staples!!!

#13 4 years ago

I got LED's in mine..

I tore the thing down from the top to put them in, though....

SST_LEDS.jpg

#14 4 years ago

Only Sega game I own, big fan of the movie, I've seen it multiple times, lot more going on there than first appears to be. Just wish it didn't have the Sega style artwork, but it's a really fun game, putting the bug spear thru the guys head never gets old

#15 4 years ago

Love the movie , missed out on the pin by a few hours . Sad.

#16 4 years ago

the pin definatly grows on u. R U READY SOLDIER! music and gameplay seem strange at first but after 10 to 15 games feels great. love the shout outs, dead bug sounds not so much. have to get rid of cuz 2 yr old daughter is freaked out over the bugs. game looks awesome in the dark with leds.

#17 4 years ago

remember your training and you will make it back alive!!

#18 4 years ago

Do your job or i'll shoot you! Michael Ironside is awesome!!! Great sega game. Only one worth keeping. I had one but sadly it had been in a nasty place before I got it so it left and now I am looking for a better example. I have extra key fobs and extra full NOS bug set and a manual plus slingshots for sale if anyone needs them.
IF YOU HAVE THIS GAME!!! This game cries for the extra amp and speaker to be added back in. Stereo for this game makes all the difference. More sounds that were never there before and the sounds that were there before sound so much better!
I did my old one and wow! I have the instructions to retrofit should anyone need. The manual has everything you need though.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Do your job or i'll shoot you! Michael Ironside is awesome!!! Great sega game. Only one worth keeping. I had one but sadly it had been in a nasty place before I got it so it left and now I am looking for a better example. I have extra key fobs and extra full NOS bug set and a manual plus slingshots for sale if anyone needs them.
IF YOU HAVE THIS GAME!!! This game cries for the extra amp and speaker to be added back in. Stereo for this game makes all the difference. More sounds that were never there before and the sounds that were there before sound so much better!
I did my old one and wow! I have the instructions to retrofit should anyone need. The manual has everything you need though.

Well it looks like I may be joining this club tomorrow, as tp's game he's moving out is heading my way.
The speaker upgrade is interesting. I've never done any speaker/sound upgrades because I generally avoiding blasting audio too loud & annoying everybody. Although what you are saying here sounds a bit different than having a bit more boom. You mention adding an extra amp & speaker back in? You mean it was designed this way but scrapped for production? & as a result some sounds got lost. I may not be into blasting eardrums, but I'm all for improved quality at whatever volume level.

I might want whatever info you have on this.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Have you become a citizen? Do you want to, or have you sadly and prematurely renounced your citizenship?
This thread is for all things Starship Troopers.
Post pictures, mods, stories, testimonials or any other info showing SST to be the underrated gem we know it is.
What? You don't like it? I guess the Brain Bug has already gotten to you..
Well, did you want to live forever?

I've played yours.....and I like it!

Put me down as an eventual future owner.......or at the very least I'll keep playing yours.

Hey.....I do believe that post just pushed my karma to - "Pinball Master"

#21 4 years ago

I only have one rule... everyone plays no one walk away before the last ball drains!

ownsers unite!

#22 4 years ago

I just added extended side rails to cover wear.

100_0783.JPG

#23 4 years ago

Would love to rejoin the club. Have had two and sold both for diff pins. I regret it. Anyone near MD with one for sale or trade let me know....The only good bug is a dead bug.

#24 4 years ago

Sold mine w LEDs just a couple weeks ago
Great game! Light show w LEDs installed is insane!
3rd flipper is sniper accurate once you get the hang of it.
"Do you wanna live forever!?"

#25 4 years ago

I love the female voice anouncing the multiball!

#26 4 years ago

Here's mine b.t.w.

pin02.jpg pin01.jpg

#27 4 years ago

I just got SST today! tp from above came by with his & some cash, & he got my real nice JD. Loved JD but in only a 4 game collection I had the game 5 years, time to try some new stuff. SST looked interesting even though I never played it IRL. & from pics I saw & from what I read from everybody, it really seemed like it would be tough to go wrong with it. Plus, I "got" the theme. I saw the movie. It all makes sense to me. Those who do give the game negative reviews seem to have issues with theme/art. But they just don't "get it", I'm convinced. This isn't a game where they went for a serious violent theme & failed. No, it is supposed to be exactly what you see & hear. Cheese & all.

With only a few plays I really can't comment much on the details of the game, other than it seems pretty damn clever. Look forward to bashing more targets/bugs. Very cool that the bug counters are easy to see right on the PF. The first time the brain bug popped up I got a good chuckle, then I bashed its ass back into the PF.
If I do the sound upgrade mentioned above, this really could be a game where I'm baffled by why it doesn't get more love. Much like JD was for many years. Maybe this will change with everybody saying such good things about it. Remains to be seen how I feel about the game some months from now, but first impressions are pretty solid.

Btw, tp (Tom) was a good dude & easily to deal with. We all broke a sweat moving the 300lb behemoth JD up my stairs on a hot humid PA day! SST was much easier to move in.

#28 4 years ago

I restored my SST in February of 2012. Here's a link to my blog where I detailed it.
http://www.duaneconnell.com/blog/?p=424
Since then I've LED'd it out and it's bad to the bone! I also installed cathode lights under the cabinet. I love this pin. It is severly under-rated.

I had a problem with the auto-launcher. It would just launch a little ways up and drain, from time to time. Got a new auto-launcher assembly and it's great now.
This is a fun pin!

#29 4 years ago

I saw the original movie when it first came out and LOVED it and bought the dvd when it came out then bought the Bluray Dvd when that came out and watched it like 30 times since. So...is that good enough to get into the club?

Oh ...and I did play it about 10 times at the Minnesota Pinball BBQ last week, it was GREAT!!!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I saw the original movie when it first came out and LOVED it and bought the dvd when it came out then bought the HD Dvd when that came out and watched it like 30 times since. So...is that good enough to get into the club?
Oh ...and I did play it about 10 times at the Minnesota Pinball BBQ last week, it was GREAT!!!

You're IN!

But, I suspect you might just have a thing for Dina Meyer's boobs....

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

They certainly didn't hurt the movie!

#32 4 years ago

Hoping to Join up soon.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You're IN!

OH BOY DO I!!!!! Thanks And I have the other 2 movies and the animated series. All I need is the pin and it's complete.

2 weeks later
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

I would love this info. Picking one up this weekend.

#35 4 years ago

I just read in another recent thread that upgrading the board is nearly pointless because most of the Sega sounds were still mastered in mono.
& that just adding the speaker is the way to go. The Pinball Pro speakers were mentioned but I'm not a big pin audiophile & those are pretty expensive. I wonder if only adding the missing speaker would still make for a nice budget upgrade.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I just read in another recent thread that upgrading the board is nearly pointless because most of the Sega sounds were still mastered in mono.

Hi Rob,
Do you have a link? I'd love to read this.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

Love the movie , missed out on the pin by a few hours . Sad.

Well, if I ever sell it, you'll get first dibs! Well, after the original owner that is. He asked me to let him know if I ever consider selling it.

.....I kind of want a Sega X-files to go beside it now.

#39 4 years ago

It's a good machine, one of Sega's best, and a sleeper. For a long time machines were only considered good if they were deep, so many of these fell through the cracks. This is a very fast and fun machine loaded with MB's and little extras. The light show with LED'd flashers is insane.

It's one major flaw, however, is that you can get the finale awarded on recon 6. That sort of ruins the final, and I'm not a fan of that, and wish you could turn that off. The higher recon stuff is quite useful, and it's hard to avoid going to 6, which is an obvious option.

The nukem feature for planets visited is another great idea for this machine. Many don't know of the trick for this tricky saucer shot, which is hold the ball on the regular right flipper, and then shoot the little upper right. If your flippers are positioned correct, this will hit that saucer dead on everytime.

By the way, I love the thread title haha.

Quoted from dangerwil:

I just added extended side rails to cover wear.

Did you make the second hole yourself? What did you use? I assume this is a Stern protector?

#40 4 years ago

Anyone done an easy speaker upgrade? I just want to drop a couple of 4" speakers in but don't want to put in a whole lot of work. I know there is another thread about this but.... I don't want to start doing work I'm not used to doing and jack something up, tying in an extra speaker shouldn't be to terribly complicated I wouldn't think...

#41 4 years ago

http://pinballpro.net/shop/stern-or-late-sega-swtr-4a/

I checked with Flipper Fidelity but they haven't done one for this machine yet.

I'm looking at getting this.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Well, if I ever sell it, you'll get first dibs! Well, after the original owner that is. He asked me to let him know if I ever consider selling it.
.....I kind of want a Sega X-files to go beside it now.

Mighty kind of you to consider sir !!

#43 4 years ago

SST is one of my all time favorites! I believe the OP got his soon after seeing mine.

Would you like to know more?

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

Mighty kind of you to consider sir !!

Not really, since I don't sell DMD pins that don't have an "exit" from my collection flag on them.

JP:LW, I liked a lot but that snagger wait drove me bonkers. That's the only DMD game that's made an escape from my clutches.

#45 4 years ago

Added lights in the cockpits and guns on the ships. LEDs look like crap in the video but trust me they look stunning in person.

» YouTube video

pappy

#46 4 years ago

I have done a speaker upgrade with Pinball Pro speakers in my X-Files, Star Wars Trilogy, Lost World, Lost in Space, and Godzilla. The showcase cabs are tough, but even mono with two speakers sounds better. My X-Files is the most improved, it sounds SOOO much better! And, you can actually understand the quotes now!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Not really, since I don't sell DMD pins that don't have an "exit" from my collection flag on them.
JP:LW, I liked a lot but that snagger wait drove me bonkers. That's the only DMD game that's made an Escape from my clutches.

That fact that you would consider it is ll that matters !

#48 4 years ago

I wish there were a way to know how many SSTs were produced. Its doubtfull that there are very many.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I wish there were a way to know how many SSTs were produced. Its doubtfull that there are very many.

1500. Not very many.

#50 4 years ago

and who knows how many were junked and destroyed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 139.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 110.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 77.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 91.00
$ 131.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 536 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside