(Topic ID: 274387)

Do you want auctions on Pinside?

By Daditude

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you want auction options in the Pinside marketplace?”

• Yes 157 votes
      37%
    • No 271 votes
      63%

(428 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

541B748B-30BC-4C0D-9559-2D38E75978DE (resized).jpeg
    DaringFeistyIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif
    s-l225 (resized).jpg
    29B0BA00-4CF7-440E-B207-CC55F4AB23F9 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

We are reaching out to the community to see if you are interested in auction options for the classified ads on Pinside. Please leave any input or ideas in the comments.

#2 3 years ago

Yes. Thanks.

#3 3 years ago

No. Thanks.

#4 3 years ago

It’ll probably be cheaper then eBay so I say yes please

Problem is what if people back out after wining the bid ? Would waste sellers time . I hate it when that happens on eBay

#5 3 years ago

Oh come on, it would be fun!

#7 3 years ago

No

#8 3 years ago

No

#9 3 years ago

Great idea, I think you should

#10 3 years ago

Could be fun to try. Just to see how enthused people are to get certain games.

#11 3 years ago

I don't care. Thanks.

#12 3 years ago

Pros:

*Fun to watch
    *Make greedy pinsiders realize what their games are really worth
    *great conversation starter
    *hey, maybe B titles will actually start selling for good deals

Cons:

*flaming nuclear threads about deals gone wrong
    *flaming nuclear threads about suspected shill bidding
    *people meeting at airports
    *daditude becomes the fall guy

#13 3 years ago

As long as they are all done at no Reserve I'm in.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

As long as they are all done at no Reserve I'm in.

No reserve..yes. Great idea. Would be
    fun and entertaining.

#16 3 years ago

Worth a try! If there were no reserve, it would have to be protected by a starting bid that the seller could live with selling the item. No protection at all would be too risky from a selling standpoint.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

It’ll probably be cheaper then eBay so I say yes please
    Problem is what if people back out after wining the bid ? Would waste sellers time . I hate it when that happens on eBay

take a credit card and pinside can charge it once auction ends.

#19 3 years ago

Yes, but lots of work. Would it be a flat fee,or on a scale depending on price? No buyer premium please like the big auction guys

#20 3 years ago

Great idea, if you want Pinside to be full of auction ads by people joining just to list. It was bad enough when the retailers took over the Market.

#22 3 years ago

Absolutely not

If I wanted an auction site, I would be on eBay.

#23 3 years ago

Nope, shill bidding will be a big issue.

#24 3 years ago

It would have to be set up correctly...

But yes- Having the option would ultimately favor both sellers and recipients and keep the price police from getting too toxic.

Akin to irritating/repetitive posts, members could elect to not observe/participate if it's not their vibe.

Pinside could also raise the transaction fees as well, perhaps?

I'd use it for sure as a buyer.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Nope, shill bidding will be a big issue.

What he said. Too many price pumping jerkoffs more concerned about protecting their "investment" than playing pinball. It will lead to increased speculation which ruins hobbies.

Just my opinion.

#27 3 years ago

Daditude, do you have more details on how this would be implemented.

Blind bidding?
    Open bidding with bidders identified?
    How to protect from non payers?
    Popcorn style or hard stop listings?

Seems like it is a bad idea for a Collectors
    Forum, but would like to hear more before weighing in.

#28 3 years ago

BringATrailer style auctions: YES!!!!

#29 3 years ago

It’s a great idea and a good way for pinside to charge some commission.

I’m
    For it.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Daditude, do you have more details on how this would be implemented.
    Blind bidding?
    Open bidding with bidders identified?
    How to protect from non payers?
    Popcorn style or hard stop listings?
    Seems like it is a bad idea for a Collectors
    Forum, but would like to hear more before weighing in.

It is something we are currently discussing and we wanted to get the pulse of the community along with any ideas/thoughts about it.

I can say that there would certainly be guidelines in place for shill bidding and backing out of bids. This would be the most sensitive element, but a community within a niche hobby where many collectors know one another personally, have networks of friends in common, can securely pay, are confirmed within the website, and one which has a good system for feedback makes it far easier than what it would be for many other forums.

Obviously, it would simply be an additional marketplace choice of sellers to do an "auction-style," so those not interested in participating would not have to.

Open/closed bidding, soft/hard closes, incremental bids, etc are all up for suggestions and discussion.

#31 3 years ago

There should definitely be some restrictions on brand new user accounts being allowed to list or sell anything, auction or not.

#32 3 years ago

No, enough other sites offering auctions. And like some others said, a few pinsiders with specific attitudes might make it crap fest.

#33 3 years ago

It would undoubtedly go wrong in horrible ways.
    Please, no.

#34 3 years ago

The staff of Pinside should really be asking themselves if they want a new full time unpaid job being auction police.

#35 3 years ago

Im on the fence. Yes for everything, but games.

Sometimes, I have had parts, that I dont know how to price, so Ebay gets them....

#36 3 years ago

100% YES

Just another choice for buyers/sellers.

Sellers and bidders need to be "verified".

#37 3 years ago

This is super ridiculous when we couldn't even have a fire sale thread without someone complaining enough to have that shut down almost instantly. Must have hurt some serious feelings.

So, how are you going to manage this when the sniveling whiners of pinside pushing the complaint button always get their way?

#38 3 years ago

Yeah Ebay sucks.Let's not become Ebay.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yes, but lots of work. Would it be a flat fee,or on a scale depending on price? No buyer premium please like the big auction guys

Huh??

#40 3 years ago

Sounds stressful. Haha. I’m not interested, but if the auctions have a separate page I can just choose not to participate. So, that’s my suggestion. Keep the auctions separate from the general marketplace.

#41 3 years ago

I kinda like the idea. Verified bidders, sellers, and guidelines (like deposit, payment, shipping definitions) could work.

E-bay is a crapshoot at best w way overpriced games..don't really know who you're dealing with, and stupid fees.

Rather see fees going to Pinside and help Robin build/ maintain the site.

We already have plenty of price police, and anyone selling anything here gets grilled anyway. I'd bid...

#42 3 years ago

I hate that the market would just become ePay.

#43 3 years ago

Auction Bidding on a machine will take away all abilities to see the condition in person and cash on the glass.

Right now if I want to buy a machine, I drive over we negotiate a little, cash on the glass and tail warranty goes into effect.

Bidding, I now have to bid against other folks and most likely not seeing the machine for most people are not going to want 30 or 40 visitors tracking thru their home over the course of a week that the auction is running to view a machine, and what do the non local people do you know the same ones who will drive 6-10 hours one way to grab a machine. Will they have to do that now just for an inspection? No thanks.

People will then have to wait until the auction is over to see if they won or was knocked out by a $1.50 last minute.

If I have the cash I want to go travel, look, buy and haul it home now. This eliminates all that.

Now if I bid, win, send a deposit and condition isn't up to spec as we were led to believe and I don't buy it, is the deposit refundable without an altercation or new slander topic threads created on buyer/seller and so fourth?

Now if the buyer is selling and in the last few hours they feel the value isn't favorable for them, how do you stop shill bidding? The good o'l Hey Jimmy do me favor and bump this.....

Sorry but this seems way more problematic then it worth, these are thousands of dollars toys and for these reasons IMHO it's best to leave it as classified sale come see it and buy and take it with you or pass on it with no hard feelings.

I can honestly say I wouldn't touch any machine that is an auction for said reasons, if I 'm traveling to see , inspect and buy I don't want my personal time off wasted or the sellers time wasted for said reasons above. I like the I'm here lets get the deal done policy.

#44 3 years ago

I am thinking for parts it could be fine. Not for pins.

Also, once listed as auction there needs to be no pulling of auction items prior to end and strict penalties for that sort of stuff.

#45 3 years ago

I think it would be fine for mods or new in box games. Things that are hard to misrepresent.
    Allowing auctions for used pins sounds like a mess.

#46 3 years ago

I say not for pins. What happens if you bid, show up and the pin is not as described? Have had it happen several times when buying off here.
    Game had no sound.
    Cab planked with the dmd stating the main toy was malfunctioning when turned on.

Some sellers on here are not honest.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Yeah Ebay sucks.Let's not become Ebay.

eBay certainly has a lot of problems--the shill bidding, the last second sniping, the one-sided nature in the way ebay rules over disputes, just how big of a cut ebay and paypal take, plus a dozen other things that I'm sure many of us dislike.

The general idea would be to do many of the good things people like about auctions and cut out a lot of the problematic stuff that has developed over the years. The benefit of hindsight as well as looking at other collector-focused auction platforms.

First and foremost, it would be the seller's choice as to how they want to list items for sale. With a firm price, OBO, trade, or in an auction format.

But yes, there would be a bunch of details and guidelines to hash out. There are a lot of smart people here...I'm sure we can all come up with some good ideas that would make it a good, fair, and a reasonable option for some situations.

Personally, I've wanted to throw lots of stuff up for auction, but ebay just isn't where I prefer to turn to. I also like participating in auctions on occasion, but again, ebay doesn't thrill me.

So if you want auctions...your choice is basically eBay, or secret one-sided auctions by PM or email. I don't like those options. I'd like to see a viable third option.

#48 3 years ago

If doing auction, I like popcorn style when dealing w a community forum.
    Lots of poster and bourbon groups I am in have it figured out.

Seller sets starting bid (must be well below retail, or not allowed as setting at retail is BS for auctions)
    Seller sets ending date and time
    Seller sets minimum increment.

If a bid is made in last minute of auction then end time auto adjusts 5 min out.

This can go on for a while if people keep bidding on final minute of each extension.

Helps get a fair price for seller and bidders from what I have seen and gets rid of the snipe bots.

#49 3 years ago

Ive been on ebay 20 years.
    Pinside would open the proverbial "pandora's box".
    There is so many laws involved as well from state to state, international.
    If I was Robin, I'd avoid it.

#50 3 years ago

Absolutely, positively NO!
    Let Pinside buyers and sellers hash out a price the old fashioned way.
    Auctions will lead to a bunch of non pinheads signing up and trashing this site just to sell their trashed blown out pins at inflated pricing.

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-auctions-on-pinside?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.