(Topic ID: 274387)

Do you want auctions on Pinside?

By Daditude

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you want auction options in the Pinside marketplace?”

• Yes 157 votes
      37%
    • No 271 votes
      63%

(428 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

541B748B-30BC-4C0D-9559-2D38E75978DE (resized).jpeg
    DaringFeistyIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif
    s-l225 (resized).jpg
    29B0BA00-4CF7-440E-B207-CC55F4AB23F9 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 3 years ago

It was great to see that Baywatch again!

#152 3 years ago

Auctions are fun! I am in.

I bet pinside auctions would bring many new users to both the site and hobby.

#153 3 years ago

We would be flooded by scammers whose antics have been clamped down on by eBay and who would see Pinside as virgin territory.

#154 3 years ago

Auctions here got shut down halfway thru this thread when the R&M e-bay auction thread was closed I believe.

So, instead of auctions or announcing you are having one somewhere, you'll now have to start a "lookie what I got" kinda thread. Then have somebody else post a link to where the auction or sale is actually taking place. That kind of activity seems to still be OK here.

1 week later
    #155 3 years ago

So... the poll is nearly 2 to 1 against... so when are the auctions starting?

Call me cynical, but the smell of $$$ is probably going to overwhelm any stink from auction shenanigans.

#156 3 years ago

No thanks.

#157 3 years ago

100% No.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Call me cynical, but the smell of $$$ is probably going to overwhelm any stink from auction shenanigans.

OP Moderator has not come back to this topic in 20 days.......?
    What were your thoughts Daditude?

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I voted against because I am skeptical and don't want to poison the atmosphere here with bickering. On the other hand I would love to be proven wrong and have pinside pull off a working auction system at a reasonable charge with rules and oversight that keep things inline. I could definitely see auctioning off some old parts and playfields like in the old days before ebay got ruined. I might even consider auctioning or buying a pin in the right circumstance. Established pinside members don't want to tarnish their reputation, so I would want to see strict vetting and pre-qualifying of any participants whether buyers or sellers.

#160 3 years ago

Id like to see Auctions for Parts only.....

#161 3 years ago

No brainer....be great if that was an option...

#162 3 years ago

Of all the games posted for sale on pinside, what percentage actually sell on pinside?
    I would guess the number would be less than 20%.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Of all the games posted for sale on pinside, what percentage actually sell on pinside?

my guess is that parts would sell a lot, and be very successful....big ticket items like games would be another story....

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

No its way higher. We just have a huge percentage that don't pay a dime after a sale here on pinside.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

This is an all or nothing choice?
    Plenty of people want the auction. Especially if Robin and crew can make it work efficiently.
    Ebay is a world of people and potential scammers. Pinball is a small niche community where we pretty much all know each other.
    The people that like the service should be able to use it, the one's who don't can ignore it. Just like we are able to do with people on here!
    You could have an option to turn off the feature all together if it offends you somehow.
    Do a trial run and see how it goes?

All good points and seems like the most reasonable way to approach this idea.Having a separate area for auctions(and auctions related threads)or being able to ignore it altogether is a great idea. I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to at least having Pinside try it? Participation is optional just like everything else on Pinside.

And even if it turns out to be a hassle/disaster for the powers that be, it's their hassle not yours, so what's the harm? If it's not viable, it goes away, end of story.

As far as people bitching about endless threads about auctions, that's why Pinside has the ignore and drain options. The only way you're going to see threads or annoying Pinsiders you dont want to see, is if you want to see them. Get it?

#166 3 years ago

Let's turn Pinside into eBay--great idea---can we pay only via PayPal as well?

#167 3 years ago

Absolutely!

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-auctions-on-pinside/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.