(Topic ID: 112623)

Do you use surge protectors?

By EvanDickson

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

I use them... but only as outlet strips and do not expect any real surge suppression.
    I bought several of those Tripp lite Isobar4's from somebody dumping a ton of new ones on ebay ... $5 each. At $5 each, quite nice and beats any of those cheapie walmartish outlet strips.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Here's something I've wondered: if my wall outlets are all on a switch, are the games protected when the switches are in the OFF position? Or does the lightning just jump the gap on the switch anyway?
    I also wondered: if the lightning strike hits the wires from the panel to the outlet, doesn't that completely bypass the whole-home protection and fry your stuff anyway?

Direct lightning strike - nothing will stop it. Considering how far the lightning has already traveled, that couple millimeter gap in the wall switch would be a momentary delay before arcing over and striking your machine. It won't bypass the whole-home protection but will fry the whole home protection... then proceed to fry the rest of your stuff.

Indirect lightning strike - depends on how far away the strike is.
    Pretty unlikely to strike your wiring after the panel - usually comes in thru power mains. But I have seen one house take a strike to a gas line on a fireplace then jump over to close electrical wiring and taking out nearly all electronics, appliances and water pump. Fortunately, the gas line was disconnected at the time and didn't start a gas fire.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-use-surge-protectors?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.