Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dignity.jpg
    Soda.jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

+1
    Teach them the importance of a good education so that they don't drop out of school and end up working at the Waffle House for $2.10 an hour.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, slow down. I need someone to work at the Waffle House for when I get the urge for some of those hashbrowns.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from kosmo:

Bullshit, it may happens, but usually, the service is good !

Haha... Ok fair enough... I was a big dramatic with my blanket statement. Surely there is good service "somewhere" in Europe. I just haven't encountered it yet in the 5-6 countries I have visited there.

-mof

#103 10 years ago

I do not tip them. On the flipside- delivery. When they pick up games from my house, they sometimes will make up stories that are not true "we called him several times'' when they never called once. ''there's ice'' when there isn't. ''oh no, a step...'' really? They even told a buyer one time, that I wouldn't allow pickup- a flat out lie. They were picking up a game from me, and i told them ''this one next to it is suppose to be picked up too'' the driver said, yeah, not today. Then they told the buyer I didn't let them pick it up?? WTF? I guess it's easier to make up stories and blame it on the person they're picking up from, then to answer to their bosses and dispatchers.

I've had them bitch and complain about having to pick up on my back porch (ground level porch, just a little longer walk) I've had one guy even bitch to me that HE had a bad back, picking up from my garage, and asked me to bring it to the truck, which I did! And I have a bad back! What kind of company hires a driver that can't work? A scarecrow could have done more.

I didn't feel they needed a tip delivering me a TOM with a big scratch down the side of the cab. They just shrugged, and they or their insurance didn't even compensate me.

It's a rotating door of delivery drivers, they're not all bad, and some do their job and are friendly. Once in awhile though, i'm just like wtf . I personally have not been in a position where I felt they earned a tip, or a tip was warranted. If you're gonna tip NAVL for overpriced shipping, mine as well tip pinsiders that deliver...

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

+1
    Let's encourage our children to never in life accept handouts, tips, charity or government assistance.
    Teach them the importance of a good education so that they don't drop out of school and end up working at the Waffle House for $2.10 an hour.
    Do something nice for a teacher, a first responder or a service member instead.
    These are my 'tips' for a never ending bad habit here in America.

what irrelevant nonsense is this? have you ever worked as a waiter? it must be wonderful to be privileged enough that you equate tips with handouts. talk about a lack of perspective.

i'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is. i'm sure you're not going to hypocritically accept social security in your old age or unemployment if you lose your job, and surely you will rear up and spit in the face of anyone that tries to help you out if something unfortunate happens to you. wouldn't want to accept charity, right?

#105 10 years ago

I tip well for pinball deliveries and pickups. When I get a 'new' pin for the house I have someone else install and set it up. Always leave a huge tip and a larger one around christmas. Considering I can afford dozens of machines and don't have the time to set them up and ship them and unpack them it's hugely worth it for me. And it's not like the job of shipping and delivering these machines to my house is easy.

If you're ordering a $6,000 machine to your house and you don't tip then that's rather cheap. You can't even throw each guy a $10? I don't tip the retailer or pinsider I buy my games from. But I'll tip the delivery guys. Just like I don't tip at the grocery store but I tip at a restaurant.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from SuperTurbo:

If you're ordering a $6,000 machine to your house and you don't tip then that's rather cheap. You can't even throw each guy a $10? I don't tip the retailer or pinsider I buy my games from. But I'll tip the delivery guys. Just like I don't tip at the grocery store but I tip at a restaurant.

Let's see how generous you are, when your $6000 game arrives with a huge scratch down the side of the cabinet, and the drivers going ''oh shit, how'd that happen''

#107 10 years ago

Damage is seldom the driver's fault.

I always give my UPS driver a bottle of good booze at Christmas for not leaving my boxes in the rain, and giving them to my neighbor while I'm out of town.

If a box is crushed, I doubt it's because he personally crushed it, lol.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

when your $6000 game arrives with a huge scratch down the side of the cabinet

I'd guess that if a game shows up with a huge scratch, it's because it was not crated correctly.

Wrapping a game in stretch wrap is not really giving it much protection from all the other pallets it gets shipped along side with along the way.

#109 10 years ago

It was actually crated better than most I have received. Regardless, when they take possession and responsibility of what they're shipping, they are responsible for any damage. It was not taken that way, and ended up that way, and they did not pay for the damages.

#110 10 years ago

It was actually crated better than most I have received. Regardless, when they take possession and responsibility of what they're shipping, they are responsible for any damage. It was not taken that way, and ended up that way, and they did not pay for the damages.

this is the driver's fault how? do you tip at restaurants based on the quality of the food?

#111 10 years ago

I never said it was the drivers fault, but i'm not going to applaud him or his company while paying $400 to ship a game. Someone has to be responsible. He could have said, ''hey, I'll contact my dispatcher and we'll get this resolved'' They jumped in the truck and screwed.
    I tip well out to eat. Do you tip the person that takes the trash out after your meal? tip your garbage man? The driver of the trash truck? The weigh station? The landfill?

#112 10 years ago

the next time a State Trooper pulls you over for speeding, you better tip him too. He's protecting your interest and safety...

#113 10 years ago

I always tip, ranging from servers to movers. I feel that if I give a little, I always get it back in some shape or form ten fold. You may not like my statement, but it has made my life enjoyable so far throughout the years.

Steve

#114 10 years ago

I never said it was the drivers fault, but i'm not going to applaud him or his company while paying $400 to ship a game. Someone has to be responsible. He could have said, ''hey, I'll contact my dispatcher and we'll get this resolved'' They jumped in the truck and screwed.
    I tip well out to eat. Do you tip the person that takes the trash out after your meal? tip your garbage man? The driver of the trash truck? The weigh station? The landfill?

I've never been to a weigh station since i'm not a truck driver, but yeah we tip our garbage collectors (and mail carrier) at Christmas time.

also again you don't seem to get it -- a tip is intended to reward an INDIVIDUAL's service, not the company they represent. I'm pretty sure drivers don't kick back tip percentages to their employer.

#115 10 years ago

the next time a State Trooper pulls you over for speeding, you better tip him too. He's protecting your interest and safety...

nah I don't tip tax collectors.

#116 10 years ago

to the guys that tip drivers that deliver: do you also tip when they pick up machines from you?

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

what irrelevant nonsense is this? have you ever worked as a waiter? it must be wonderful to be privileged enough that you equate tips with handouts. talk about a lack of perspective.
    i'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is. i'm sure you're not going to hypocritically accept social security in your old age or unemployment if you lose your job, and surely you will rear up and spit in the face of anyone that tries to help you out if something unfortunate happens to you. wouldn't want to accept charity, right?

When my grandmother passed away my co-workers had the audacity to take up money for me, which I gave back.

Don't give me anything I haven't worked for. Period.

I also don't believe in bailouts and redistribution.

We can learn a lot from our grandparents.

Dignity.jpgDignity.jpg

#118 10 years ago

I hope your grandmother left you a dictionary to look up "audacity"

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from ardvark666:

I hope your grandmother left you a dictionary to look up "audacity"

It was a generous gesture, but since they *know* what I get paid, it was really audacious.

#120 10 years ago

Wow! Just wow.

#121 10 years ago

I always tip whenever good service has been given to me. It AMAZES me how many poor tippers their in the world. I know people that own awesome restaurants and hear the stories. I don't care about their salaries if they take care of my machines with pride then they deserve a tip. I agree with some of the statements above that if you don't tip then stay home. It is the biggest slap in the face to have given good service and not receive gratuity in the service industry. In the year 2013 a $1 bill on a table for ANY food at all is NOT acceptable either. Just sayin'

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

When my grandmother passed away my co-workers had the audacity to take up money for me, which I gave back.

so you allowed your objectivist political leanings to cause you to act like an ungrateful jackass towards your co-workers. way to go.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

so you allowed your objectivist political leanings to cause you to act like an ungrateful jackass towards your co-workers. way to go.

I told them to donate the money to someone who was less fortunate than me.

If that makes me an "ungrateful jackass," I stand guilty as charged.

#124 10 years ago

Yes I tip the delivery guys. In general, I tip above the suggested norms.

People sure feel strong about this topic. I've never felt bad about a tip, but I've regretted not leaving one a time or two. My only pet peeve is a lack of appreciation. If I tip, I like a thank you.

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

whoa what? i thought charity was the devil!

#126 10 years ago

$20.00 each if they are friendly.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

whoa what? i thought charity was the devil!

They donated the money to a local food bank.

Nobody is going to force a person to eat, that's left up to them.

#128 10 years ago

So, If you picked up a machine at stern, would you tip the guys that load it in the back of your truck?

Do I tip myself when I get home?

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

So, If you picked up a machine at stern, would you tip the guys that load it in the back of your truck?

Sure, if they are polite and careful, why would you not want to take care of them?

If you can afford a $6,000+ toy, you can certainly afford to palm a guy a few bucks who probably makes $15 a hour.

Don't be cheap, it's not becoming of a man of your income and stature.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

They donated the money to a local food bank.
    Nobody is going to force a person to eat, that's left up to them.

hmm, ok, just trying to piece together your point of view, here. let me get this straight: you're not against charity, just against charity for YOU because you don't need it ("I know what I make" is what you said). well hey good news: most tips, charity, and handouts don't go to the wealthy, so you can let go of all that indignation and grandpa-pining. the truck driver delivering your pin is most likely not wealthy. probably has a crap job for a crap boss delivering 300-pound boxes to customers who act like its his fault the box got banged up somewhere along the way.

you know there are people out there like you who are lucky enough to make it without outside help. congratulations. but disdain for the less fortunate is a disgraceful thing for a person of self-admitted privilege such as yourself.

#131 10 years ago

Whether I tip is based on the service I requested and the service I end up getting. I've had three pins delivered over the years and each time the driver(s) have offered to take the game where I needed it, either in to my house or at least in to my garage. I usually tip $10, but gave the last guy $20 because he offered to bring the game in to my garage with his pallet jack without my asking -- when he was only responsible for unloading it at my driveway. On the flip side, the couple of times I have had to pick up a game at a trucking terminal the guys did nothing to help beyond binging the game to my truck on the forklift. Of course, that's all they were responsible for doing, so there was nothing to be upset about.

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Whoa Whoa Whoa, slow down. I need someone to work at the Waffle House for when I get the urge for some of those hashbrowns.

Chances are you're gonna need a lot more than that as you age. Most of us will. I wonder what Boss Shit will be preaching then.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Don't give me anything I haven't worked for. Period.
    I also don't believe in bailouts and redistribution.
    We can learn a lot from our grandparents.

Dignity.jpg 0

Oh brother.

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Yes, you do.

#135 10 years ago

This is a really interesting thread.

I expected tipping a delivery driver to be the exception rather than the norm, so was overwhelmed at the positive responses. To me it is like tipping the UPS driver or the delivery man, it just never has crossed my mind to do so.

As some have said, it seems peverse to subside and condone sub-minimum wage labour. Over here the minimum wage is just that, the absolute minimum by law a company can pay. It's at around $9 / hr here from memory.

All the above said, in the highly unlikely event that a driver comes in and offers to set-up, chances are he will get a gift of some kind.

It seems here the only people that would expect a tip would be waiting staff, fast food deliverymen and taxi drivers.

#136 10 years ago

I tip my UPS driver >> he will call me if I have a big or important package and he needs signature. He calls and I will leave work to go meet him on his route to sign and get the package. I palm him $5 every time.

It is a win for him also because he does not need to come back the next day to try and attempt a second or 3rd delivery.

Because I treat him well in these instances he will wrap pakages in garbage bags before leaving them on the back porch if rain is coming and he actually takes stuff to the back porch which is a big plus from my perspective.

Always treat the people in service nicely is what my grandpa taught me. It worked for him and it works for me.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It worked for him and it works for me.

And it especially works if you have always have the same delivery driver.

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I tip my UPS driver >> he will call me if I have a big or important package and he needs signature. He calls and I will leave work to go meet him on his route to sign and get the package. I palm him $5 every time.
    It is a win for him also because he does not need to come back the next day to try and attempt a second or 3rd delivery.
    Because I treat him well in these instances he will wrap pakages in garbage bags before leaving them on the back porch if rain is coming and he actually takes stuff to the back porch which is a big plus from my perspective.
    Always treat the people in service nicely is what my grandpa taught me. It worked for him and it works for me.

My cousin is a UPS driver. Your UPS driver is just covering his ass. UPS company policy wants the driver to leave the package away from the elements and the viewing public. UPS gives their drivers those bags.

If your package ever gets damaged by the elements or stolen, the driver may end up paying for the package for not following company protocol.

Your tips had nothing to do with these actions.

UPS drivers are also prohibited from accepting tips. Give him a cold drink instead.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-tip-the-shipping-guys/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.