(Topic ID: 297756)

Do you tip the delivery guy that brings your pinball machine?

By PismoArcade

86 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by ZooDude
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you tip the delivery guy that brings your pinball machine?”

• Yes 52 votes
      54%
    • No 45 votes
      46%

(97 votes)

#1 86 days ago

Getting my Mando on Tuesday and it's been a few years since I've purchased a pin. I can't remember if I've tipped in the past or not.

#2 86 days ago

Guy delivered my Aerosmith dropped it off at the end of driveway. But took it all the way to my back door. I tipped him $20 for two minutes of extra work. But it would have took me 30 minutes.
    The guy that delivered my laser also took it to my covered back porch. I gave him a nice new in box knife.

#3 86 days ago

I always offer a cold soda or water.

#4 86 days ago

I will give them a 10 or something if they help me get it in the house/ drive way. If he is a a-hole no mass

#5 86 days ago

When I ordered my 2 pins from GAP I paid the $395 delivery/setup fee as well as gave Rocco a $60 tip each time. Great guy and good service goes a long way with me.

As for a LTL delivery where I don’t know they guy - I’d prob just give him a 10 to grab lunch if he brings it up to my doorstep with a dolly.

#6 86 days ago

Games to the driveway only no, Games to the garage may be, Games taken down to my walkout basement yes.

#7 86 days ago

I give him $20 if it’s on a pallet and they drop it in the garage. If they bring it upstairs for me I tip them and extra $20 per guy over what they charge to take it up or down stairs.

#8 86 days ago

Between $20 to $30 bucks each. Same guys from STI most of the time. Lets me keep the shipping blankets.

#9 86 days ago

I recently ordered a game from a distributor and was told that there would be a $125 extra fee for delivery. I wonder if they’ll expect a tip on top of that.

#10 86 days ago

It's 2021. All service employees expect and deserve a tip. $20 each time insures I get good service. Cheap insurance.

#11 86 days ago

When we were finishing our 1700 sq ft basement, the delivery guys brought a stack of drywall about 4 feet tall. I asked them how much to move it all to the basement. They said $200. 30 minutes later it was done, and I didn't even break a sweat handing them the money.

#12 86 days ago

Since Covid I have been tipping a lot of people that I would not have tipped 2 years ago, and my tips in restaurants have gone way up.

#13 86 days ago

When my TMNT was delivered I tipped the delivery guy $20. He helped move the box into the garage and wanted to chat for a few minutes about pinball.

#14 86 days ago

Both times I got NIB games at my condo, I tipped both the guys. I believe first time it was 10 bucks each, then 2nd time it was 20 bucks each because it was the same guys and they actually remembered me. Super nice fellas.....they walked the games into our condo, which considering they parked on the street, is about 75 yards further than they needed to go with it.

#15 86 days ago

Years ago at my distributor, I always tipped the dock guys. They unloaded my game(s) put new one on the truck. I tied them down myself. And I didn't have to go find them in the building to sign paper work. They found me.

Now not so many games. I pick them up at the freight terminal. I tip the guy $20. Something they rarely see. Same guy left the desk know if I came in to call him. And he helps load in my van, hauls away the pallet, and went above and beyond when box and bottom came apart when I cut the straps.

They aren't always out in the best weather. And if they do a good job, deserve a little extra. Especially if you'll use them again.

With what games cost. A tip for good service is tiny.

LTG : )

#16 86 days ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Since Covid I have been tipping a lot of people that I would not have tipped 2 years ago, and my tips in restaurants have gone way up.

EXACTLY! I've been tipping people just because I'm so thankful they're actually going to work and keeping the country moving. It's pathetic what's been happening.

In related news, I'm a music teacher and I'll have a tip jar on my desk come September. Hey...if the people at Dunkin' can get away with it, so can I.

#17 86 days ago

My last 3 nib deliveries all came from different companies even though they all shipped direct from stern. All had significant damage to the box which lead to immediate unboxing by the delivery driver to inspect for damage. Luckily no damage but no tip if the box isn't in decent shape from me. The last guy didn't speak much English and wouldn't stop trucking from the wrong side so no tip there either. If I see one that cares a little I'll tip but have not seen that in a while.

#18 85 days ago

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I'm generally a generous tipper but couldn't remember the protocol with delivery drivers.

Definitely going to give him/her at least a 20...more if they go the extra mile and bring it in the house or even my garage.

Again..thank you.

#19 85 days ago

Never had one delivered, but these days I'd give a 20

#20 85 days ago

always tip. nothing makes someone smile like making a few bucks more than they expected to from their monotonous job.

#21 85 days ago

I tip the delivery guy and when I’m selling a game i tip the shipper when they come to pick a game up as well.

#22 85 days ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

always tip. nothing makes someone smile like making a few bucks more than they expected to from their monotonous job.

This.

A couple of my friends love to tease me about what they perceive as overtipping. Like most of you, through hard work, I've been fortunate and life is good. There's nothing better than having someone go out of their way to thank you for the gratuity.

#23 85 days ago

I just had 2 used pins delivered on pallets, guy set them in the garage with his hand cart. I gave the guy $20.

#24 85 days ago

I tipped $20 to the drivers of both my NIB deliveries. The first time, the driver tried to refuse. I told him he got it here undamaged and in one piece and I appreciated it. Both were friendly and dropped the pallets off in my garage. I will tip the next drivers if they get the games to me undamaged and are friendly.

#25 85 days ago

9/10 times I will, especially if they hang around while I inspect the goods. The delivery guys are usually cool and seem like they care. The warehouse guys sometimes……

#26 85 days ago

$50 each for JJ’s guys

#27 84 days ago

Anybody else reading this thread filling like a douche for not tipping? I always offer water/cokes/beer(beer fridge by pins) always offer to let them play any pins. Most guys take me up for at least 1 game on a pin.

#28 84 days ago

At least $20, $50 if they bring it to the game room.

#29 84 days ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Anybody else reading this thread filling like a douche for not tipping?

Well, I was fine until you said something.

#30 84 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, I was fine until you said something.

It's okay beelzeboob. I heard delivery guys tip you.

#31 84 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's okay beelzeboob. I heard delivery guys tip you.

But just the tip I promise. Lol

#32 84 days ago

Nitro Pinball delivers and sets up the machine wherever you like. Stairs or not. I tip $40 for sure.

#33 81 days ago

So here's what happened.

FedEx truck shows up with my Mandalorian. Box is in great shape. No holes, etc. I ask him to bring the machine into my living room which he gladly does. I hand him a 20 and he refuses, saying it's not necessary. I practically had to force it on him after which he thanked me three times. Super nice guy.

#34 80 days ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

... I practically had to force it on him...

When people do that to me I wait till their aboot to drive away and hail them acting like they forgot something, then hand it to them. They get the point then. If not, throw it in their truck and run away.

#35 80 days ago

My Mando was off of the skid loose in the truck. Was not happy about that. Make sure that you request delivery in a LIFT GATED truck so the pin stays on the skid. That said, the delivery guys actually drove the truck up my driveway instead of curb delivery and CARRIED the boxed pin up the front steps and into the house. That got them a $50 tip.

#36 79 days ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

My Mando was off of the skid loose in the truck. Was not happy about that. Make sure that you request delivery in a LIFT GATED truck so the pin stays on the skid. That said, the delivery guys actually drove the truck up my driveway instead of curb delivery and CARRIED the boxed pin up the front steps and into the house. That got them a $50 tip.

Actually, worst experience was when STI pulled up in a 53’ box truck. They wanted to drop the machine off in the road! Forgot how much I paid them to get in a better spot (wasn’t a tip in my opinion). Paid cash for shipping and was contacted by STI about a month later about a transaction owed. Explained in detail what happened and never heard back. Soo I guess, sometimes they don’t send out the A team.

#37 79 days ago
    Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

...The last guy didn't speak much English and wouldn't stop trucking from the wrong side so no tip there either...

That'll show those immigrants trying to do an honest day's work!

#38 79 days ago
    Quoted from jdroc:

That'll show those immigrants trying to do an honest day's work!

Was more talking about the communication issues. He couldn't read the box and was not listening when I told him where he should truck it from. Actually a very frustrating experience. All he wanted to do was get it off the truck and was no help at all so no tip.

1 month later
    #39 25 days ago

I found this thread as I am expecting delivery today and wondered what others are doing. I always gave a 20 in the past which I will continue to do.

#40 25 days ago

I had Fedex deliver on Monday and tried to tip the guys. They put the machine into the garage and they really took care of it and were very communicative which was really nice. Definitely earned it but they would not accept the tip at all and I tried several times.

#41 25 days ago

I tipped $20 to my last driver, good guy, did a great job and I'll most likely get more delivered.
    I also tip my mailman and garbage guys at x mas and one of my favorite sayings is
    "I am the best type of drinker...the poor man who tips well"
    Not really poor anymore but it's stuck.
    B

#42 25 days ago

I'll go against the grain here and say I don't tip the delivery drivers, never have and never will, they aren't waiters or pizza guys. I offer them a drink if they look sweaty thats about it. I'm such a monster!

#43 25 days ago

Yes, $40 and also a six pack of Guinness each!

#44 24 days ago

Yes, I always tip them as long as they aren't jerks. You just bought a $5,000-$15,000 toy, drop them $20-$40 and be thankful for their work.

They do get paid but it's a rough job for the most part.

#45 24 days ago

Do you tip the FedEx driver when he delivers a TV? If they are just unloading the machine and leaving it in my driveway I am not tipping. If they bring it in and set it up, sure... but I never have them do that.

#46 24 days ago

I flash a couple $20's (not giving it yet but making sure it's seen while they are bringing it down the liftgate) and meet the driver at the curb with some waters and Gatorade. The guy always has brought my pallette to the top of my steep driveway and watched while I take pics and inspect. I then give the $40 bucks and we usually chit chat a little. Have had the same couple drivers a couple times each and they always remember my place and I've had great service so far. Knock on wood.

#47 24 days ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you tip the FedEx driver when he delivers a TV?.

I'd probably never have a TV delivered, but yeah I would at least try, I've got a Victorian with lots of stairs (game room is in the walk in basement) so yeah, I'd light him up.
    Working class people gotta stick together, help each other out.
    B

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside