(Topic ID: 286616)

Do you tip this guy? (discuss who to tip thread).

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mtn-
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2A24F1A-58C9-4983-A85B-BBB3825FDF3B (resized).jpeg
    1a6a35065ac3d70d5b5ff6c8af695b30--steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs (resized).jpg

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

I have a quick question. Do I tip this guy? He owns and operates a mobile car detailing charging $150 to detail a small sports car. Should I tip him or not?

#2 3 years ago

#3 3 years ago

I don't tip car detailers, but I also don't do it a lot. The prices are so inflated they seem to already include the tip

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't tip car detailers, but I also don't do it a lot. The prices are so inflated they seem to already include the tip

this was my feeling as the guy is the owner (that makes a difference to me) because if it was just a worker who might be getting $10/hr rather than the owner who gets the whole deal.

#5 3 years ago

Usually I wouldn’t but since the pandemic I’ve felt compelled to tip small businesses that might be losing business.

#6 3 years ago

I don't think I'd THIP any guy.

#7 3 years ago

Funny, I though for sure this would be about tipping your mailman. I go back and forth with people on that one all the time. I tip my mailman $20 at Christmas every year and I get impeccable mail service. I used to tip my garbage man too but can't seem to catch them in the act as pick up at my house is 5AM.
    In my neighborhood growing up, everyone tipped the mailman $1 at X mas, thought for a long time that everyone did.
    Nowadays I tip as much as I can.
    B

#8 3 years ago

Mailman is a tough one because my mailman fucking sucks, so do I not til them and it gets even worse?!

#9 3 years ago

Do you guys tip when picking up food to go? Why am I asked to tip when picking up from a local food truck, but not when I go to McDonalds?

Also, I can guarantee you that people are making more in tips during the pandemic. It used to be that you go pick up food and add the tip to the receipt when you sign. Now with COVID and the employees handling the payment for you, it's "And would you like to leave a tip?" or my personal favorite "And would you like to leave a 20, 25, or 30% tip today?"

#10 3 years ago

I leave big tips when picking up

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I leave big tips when picking up

Honestly, I usually tip like $5 on food to go. I tip well for wait service, but if I am just picking the food up, I don't really get why I am tipping a percentage of the bill. I don't know, just seems weird.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mailman is a tough one because my mailman fucking sucks, so do I not til them and it gets even worse?!

I'd try anyway, only time it hasn't improved my mail service is when I lived on a "training route", other than that,once I tip I never get my mail shoved into the box, always brought to my door (up stairs!) with a friendly knock.
    B

#13 3 years ago

I did tip him anyway, i gave him a chance!
    Former mail lady was great and always got a tip.

I assume the higher the bill, the more work is being done, equaling higher rip

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have a quick question. Do I tip this guy? He owns and operates a mobile car detailing charging $150 to detail a small sports car. Should I tip him or not?

Not if he owns the business becuase he is already getting all the business profits
    If he was an employee .... yes

#15 3 years ago

I wouldn’t, but mainly because I would think I’d just see cashier when dropping off and picking up. Don’t think I’d see the actual person doing the work. I tip the person who dries off the car when leaving a car wash. But if I’m paying for a service like car detailing, I shouldn’t need to tip for a job well done. I’m paying $150 to receive a job well done.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Funny, I though for sure this would be about tipping your mailman. I go back and forth with people on that one all the time. I tip my mailman $20 at Christmas every year and I get impeccable mail service. I used to tip my garbage man too but can't seem to catch them in the act as pick up at my house is 5AM.
    In my neighborhood growing up, everyone tipped the mailman $1 at X mas, thought for a long time that everyone did.
    Nowadays I tip as much as I can.
    B

It's illegal for your mailman to accept a tip.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article247787490.html

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Why am I asked to tip when picking up from a local food truck, but not when I go to McDonalds?

Because McDonalds is a multi-billion dollar global corporation.......your food truck operator is probably...not.

I tip pretty generously since the pandemic when picking up carry out. In the past it would depend on the place and might only be a buck or two. I mean, you're handing me a bag of food, not waiting on me and refilling our glasses, etc, which is usually why you tip - -

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not if he owns the business becuase he is already getting all the business profits
    If he was an employee .... yes

Exactly

#20 3 years ago

I am being more generous about these things in the pandemic. My expenses are down because we are at home more and have maintained jobs so I figure it is a good time to do a little helping as I go.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

He owns and operates a mobile car detailing charging $150 to detail a small sports car.

$150 ... !

Don’t be lazy ... do it yourself, then tip yourself a cold beer for a job well done.

rd

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Because McDonalds is a multi-billion dollar global corporation.......your food truck operator is probably...not.

What does that have to do with the employees I am tipping?

#23 3 years ago

Just let your car sit outside and get moldy, and let the fast food bags pile up inside- you never know when you need that emergency napkin. that's what I do.

#24 3 years ago

The American tip system is so out of hand. If federal minimum wage becomes $15 I’m done tipping anybody because everything will become plenty expensive.

#25 3 years ago

I always heard that you don’t tip an owner as is the case here.

#26 3 years ago

Well that is stupid, never been happier to be a scofflaw.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

The American tip system is so out of hand. If federal minimum wage becomes $15 I’m done tipping anybody because everything will become plenty expensive.

Agreed. I tip 15% when dining out +/- 5% based on service and $5 for delivery. I'd rather companies raise their prices to pay their employees and show me the real cost upfront. If minimum wage becomes $15/hr we won't have anywhere to eat or we'll give our order to a robot.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I tip pretty generously since the pandemic when picking up carry out. In the past it would depend on the place and might only be a buck or two. I mean, you're handing me a bag of food, not waiting on me and refilling our glasses, etc, which is usually why you tip - -

Yeah we used to tip a few bucks on a big take out order because they still have to box it and put it together etc. During the pandemic we’ve gone to full tip or more on takeout as a number of the restaurants around here are curbside only or greatly reduced capacity and they are tip pooling among all the employees. Feels like a little something you can do to make things a little better...

#29 3 years ago

People who can't afford to eat out probably shouldn't, especially if you are looking for an excuse to tip people 10 percent.

It would be nice if wages and benefits rose to the point where we could abolish the tip system but I don't see it happening here. A $15 miminum wage would hardly reach that threshold.

I do like when I'm in europe and you don't tip, it's less bullshit. But, I've noticed the service tends to be a lot shittier over there. I doubt it's a coincidence!

I can personally live without the song and dance and fake smiles etc. but I hate waiting for a refill.

#30 3 years ago

I usually eat at places I like to eat at, so I don't mind tipping them to help them survive so i can keep eating there in the future.
    I dont really give a shit why other people tip or don't or if they do or not.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's fine. People who can't afford to eat out probably shouldn't.

It is about value for money and business’s transferring costs. Went to breakfast in Santa Monica Cali in 2019 and they had a mandatory 10% insurance charge on my bill which provides health coverage to their employees. It was voluntary upon my asking and they requested I tip on the amount post insurance. I couldn’t believe it. My point is this kind of thinking is only getting worse not better.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I always heard that you don’t tip an owner as is the case here.

According to Miss Manners, you are correct.

I didn't use to accept tips. Changed my mind when things got ugly in the mid 2000's.

LTG : )

#33 3 years ago

The general rule is to not tip owners, but always tip employees in the service industry.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Last year a plow took out my mailbox. I asked the maillady to please just drop the mail on my porch until i could get a makeshift box. It's a very short distance. She told me she couldn't.

I saw her a few houses down doing just that. Getting out and placing the mail on someone's steps.

All winter long i had to go to my post office to get my mail.

no tip for her.

#35 3 years ago

I only put the tip in.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Last year a plow took out my mailbox. I asked the maillady to please just drop the mail on my porch until i could get a makeshift box. It's a very short distance. She told me she couldn't.
    I saw her a few houses down doing just that. Getting out and placing the mail on someone's steps.
    All winter long i had to go to my post office to get my mail.
    no tip for her.

Damn sounds like she doesn’t like you !

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

What does that have to do with the employees I am tipping?

McDonalds probably has an actual "no tipping" policy for their thousands of employees - i'd venture things are a little more fast and loose when it comes to a food truck.......

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

McDonalds probably has an actual "no tipping" policy for their thousands of employees - i'd venture things are a little more fast and loose when it comes to a food truck.......

Yeah I tried to tip the teenager at the Times Square Krispy Kreme and he said he had to refuse!

#39 3 years ago

Never mind

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have a quick question. Do I tip this guy?

Interesting topic.. I know this guy has a strong opinion.

1a6a35065ac3d70d5b5ff6c8af695b30--steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs (resized).jpg1a6a35065ac3d70d5b5ff6c8af695b30--steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs (resized).jpg
    #41 3 years ago

I don’t tip mail person because they’re already getting a salary and benefits etc. heck why should we tip a mailman? What’s next tip the IRS guys who reviews our tax returns?

What about movers?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I used to have a mail lady..she always smashed everything in the mailbox..she was too lazy to bring it up to the porch even when it would say do not fold/bend..ended tipping for her. She retired, and the new young man is awesome!! If it doesn't fit he always brings it up with the rest of the mail.He gets a yearly tip at Christmas...and I actually get a thank-you note in the mail from him.

Always tip the trash-man!

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

What about movers?

If you use them more than once. I would.

LTG : )

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

What kind of sports car? Responses in these kinds of threads always crack me up because pinball people are some of the cheapest bastards I have ever met. People will have 50-100K in pinball machines and bitch about shipping costs on parts from Pinball Life or Marco. I eat out all the time and always leave big tips. Even when I get bad service I still end up leaving 15% and feel guilty about it all night. I don't have a nice enough car that warrants getting detailed however people are entitled to do what they want with their money. Maybe base the decision on how nice of a job they did when you go pick it up.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I do like when I'm in europe and you don't tip, it's less bullshit. But, I've noticed the service tends to be a lot shittier over there. I doubt it's a coincidence!

Depends on the country. I always lookup what tipping standards are where I am going. I'm curios about which countries you don't tip at where you were.

Some countries over there have schooling for there wait staff. Much better service than your high school kid that doesn't give a shit and still expects a tip.

Edit: ...And in the Czech Republic your glass is refilled immediately after you finish.

#46 3 years ago

I’ll ask the obligatory what about the guy(s) that deliver your pinball machine (In home/set up)?

#47 3 years ago

Here the food service workers earn about the minimum wage of 3.50 an hour. It's poverty wages and pathetic to treat them that way. I sometimes tip at the drive thru window but you don't know which workers actually receive it. And then you get home and see the order is wrong.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from DMVPin:

I’ll ask the obligatory what about the guy(s) that deliver your pinball machine (In home/set up)?

For sure!

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

What kind of sports car? Responses in these kinds of threads always crack me up because pinball people are some of the cheapest bastards I have ever met. People will have 50-100K in pinball machines and bitch about shipping costs on parts from Pinball Life or Marco. I eat out all the time and always leave big tips. Even when I get bad service I still end up leaving 15% and feel guilty about it all night. I don't have a nice enough car that warrants getting detailed however people are entitled to do what they want with their money. Maybe base the decision on how nice of a job they did when you go pick it up.

D2A24F1A-58C9-4983-A85B-BBB3825FDF3B (resized).jpegD2A24F1A-58C9-4983-A85B-BBB3825FDF3B (resized).jpeg

#50 3 years ago

Subaru or Toyota Rai?

Quoted from DMVPin:

Haha...I'm not 90 y/o yet

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-thip-this-guy-discuss-who-to-tip-thread?hl=froytheorc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.