Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

blackout.JPG
Blackout_Playfield1.jpg
Blackout_Backglass.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hey everyone,

This would be my first Pin, so I would like your opinion. I can pick up in my area a "Super Orbit" machine, thing is I can't find any price suggestions and considering the simpleness of the machine I don't think it would be valued very high. Ask price is $500 but I think it needs some work so I was thinking of going lower than that....what is your suggestion on this machine. Have a price suggestion?

Thanks all.

#2 12 years ago

Super Orbit is an ok game, alot of people knock it however. $500 seems a little high though. It books at $450 in my latest price guide. I really like the EM versions Outer Space/Orbit. The game just feels "right" in the EM versions as opposed to the solid state. Gottlieb was way behind the times on Super Orbit, I guess because of the price cutting at that time.

If the game is in decent condition I think $400 would be reasonable.

#3 12 years ago

Hey hawkeye, thanks for responding. I noticed you have a Blackout machine, how do you like it? Reason I ask is there is a Blackout that I would have to travel to get but it is $750. Thoughts on it?

#4 12 years ago

I love Blackout, always have. Way, way, way better game than Super Orbit.

At $750 it should pretty much be plug and play.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks hawkeye. I think I will try to get the Blackout if I can get it lower but I think Super Orbit would just get boring really quick and probably wouldn't be a good first machine.

#6 12 years ago

Blackout is an awesome game. Definitely try for that one. $750 is high, but if it's working 100% and in very nice physical condition, I'd say it is worth it. If there is the typical wear on the playfield and backglass then it should be much lower priced.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from natdawg:

Hey hawkeye, thanks for responding. I noticed you have a Blackout machine, how do you like it? Reason I ask is there is a Blackout that I would have to travel to get but it is $750. Thoughts on it?

Blackout is a great game!! Really fun, and when you get the BLACKOUT feature it is kinda cool!! $750 might be a bit high, depending on condition and is it working??? The BG on this one is notorious for flaking...
Good luck I hoe you get it!!

Phoebe

#8 12 years ago

Yeah, Blackout would be MUCH more fun than Super Orbit. But you can also get even better games in that price range or a bit less. I picked up a fully-working LAH for $750 last year, and a gorgeous, clean and mechanically flawless Mars Trek for $400. There are many fun, solid games that come up for sale in the $500 +/- range.

#9 12 years ago

So I have been talking to the person and it sounds like the back display doesn't have any graphics on the side...every pic I've seen they do have a graphic. I'm going to try and make a trip to see it, I def. don't want to pay $750, if he won't budge I think I will pass. On a brighter note, he has a friend that does pin repair so it is prob in good working order but I think the cab. as a whole has some wear so I'm prob going to see if he will come down...start at $450 and see what he says. As far as flaking goes I'm not sure what to look for so if I can figure it out I will upload some photos to get some opinions. thanks guys.

#10 12 years ago

Check these out.

Blackout_Backglass.jpgBlackout_Backglass.jpg Blackout_Playfield1.jpgBlackout_Playfield1.jpg

#11 12 years ago

Hard to tell the condition of the playfield from that pic. Backglass appears ok, and everything is there. How does it work?

I'm not seeing $750 so far.

#12 12 years ago

Well I don't think I will get it, seller won't budge (they are compairing it to ebay prices....of machines that haven't sold lol). But I'm glad I got to go look at it, you can def. tell that it's a 32 yr old game. Some pieces are not actual Blackout replacement pieces and some chips and fading, the play field look pretty worn with a significant are of damage near the 9 and 10 in the center of the field. Needs to be cleaned! Probably a pass but it was a good learning experience.

1 week later
#13 12 years ago

Actually, I just picked up a BLACKOUT for 750 in MI last eve. A true plug and play. PF has mylar with minimal bubbling, no wear in the areas that is not covered. Plastics are free of cracks and chips.The BG has some flaking but been sealed. Plays fast and strong. Well worth the money and drive from Chicago. PLUS I met a new pinball friend WIN WIN for me

#14 12 years ago

The center of the playfield on the one natdawg was looking into is repainted badly. Checkout what it's supposed to look like:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=317&picno=16466&zoom=1

#15 12 years ago

Good catch, didn't even see that at first glance. That's a pretty poor touchup job, drops the price even further.

One thing I would recommend is popping off the backglass to check for corrosion around the batteries. Easy enough for a beginner to check, if there's a lot of corrosion the price should fall quickly.

I'd have the seller compare his machine to those that have sold on eBay, even though those prices are quite inflated. Then I'd point out that he let a toddler repaint his PF. I probably wouldn't go above $450ish.

#16 12 years ago

With that much of a playfield screwup, i'd pass completely on it unless I could get it for under 200.

#17 12 years ago

There's alot more than $200 worth of fun right there, assuming it works. His asking price is probably 2x what it's worth in that shape, though. I'd say forget it, unless it's close.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-this-would-be-a-good-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.