Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

innovate.jpg
    24flyer.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballophobe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 8 years ago

Stern didn't have any competition for years. So they can go at thier own their pace. LCD will be there one day

Gary has a lifetime of knowledge in the pinball business.

I was just thinking about the 3 game approach by stern on the weekend.

Its actually a great business model. I'm new to pinball. So I didnt want to spend very much. When I first started looking for a pin. I set out a budget of $2000

I quickly realize $2000 got me old games. Like 80s. So I increased my budget to $4000. Now I'm in 90s. But the problem was. These games were routed.

In my travels. I found sterns new games at starting $5500 all in cnd

JJP WOZ starting at $8500

Sterns 3 game strategy gets ppl new machines and playing pinball. Whether for home use or playing on location.

So chances are. New players playing these days are playing on stern pros. Which is great for everyone.

Stern pros are still awesome
    A pro is an easy game to play with flow. When i play games like kiss acdc on location. Still have mad fun.

Really the reason to not like a pro is because u know about the LE

#26 8 years ago

Swinks. I agree. I really wonder how much it costs stern to build and code 2 different machines.

It's ironic though. U asked if stern will lag behind from competition

It's the competition that is the reason why stern has 3 models

I Don't worry about 3 models. I just buy what i like. To me pins are just toys that I just want to have fun with.

I have never seen a WOZ in real life let alone play one. I doubt I will ever see a hobbit machine. But I have played wrestlemania,twd,Star Trek,kiss,acdc, metalica on location

So play before I buy

#28 8 years ago

When I think of no LCD on stern games for so long. I actually think its quite smart to use dmd

Like u said "old technology". But that old stuff is tried and tested

Let JJP and WOZ test the market on lcds.
    Will ppl love them?
    Will they be trouble free?

#30 8 years ago

When u have no competition. U can go at your own pace.

But if u have competition. When u lose market share or when it becomes the norm.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I couldn't disagree with you more. In 2010 a Whitewater would cost you $1800 and I could get a brand new Stern for $4K. Now if you can explain how in 5 years a game as gone from $4K to $6.5K all while removing stuff on pretty much each game as they go along (service brackets, metal apron, lockdown bar mech...) JJP WOZ was $6K when they started taking preorders.
    The LE model is a broken model because at that price point you only get a very target buyer. Eventually that buyer is going to run out of room. LE's should be like Swinks stated upgrades to specific pieces but leave the entire game identical. That way you don't spend twice the effort to coding almost the same game. And god knows Stern needs help in the coding department..
    In order for a pinball to be a real hit you need 3 things: Great Art, Good Flow, Good Code. Missing on one of these 3 pillars will affect sale margins.

U really need to stop blaming stern on exchange rate

In aug of 2014 I know for a fact that I could have a Star Trek pro shipped to my door for $5500 cnd
    Aug of 2015 that star pro is now $6500 cnd shipped to my door

Should I blame JJP that a WOZ costs over $12000 cnd now when it could had for $6000 as u say

If a guy is buying all top dollar machines. He isn't running out room. He will make room if that happens. I bet u they run out of garage space for theirs cars before they run out space for pins

Coding is not easy. I'm sure there is lots reusable code

But someone has to see the logic and write the code for each instance the ball does something

The more complex the game. The difficulty in coding is exponential.

Just out of curiousity. How many pinball programmers do u think there are in this world? Heck if u wanted to become a pinball programmer. Where would go and learn ? Exactly how does one even get experience in that field?

#57 8 years ago

I'm not blaming the exchange rate specifically. Yes some of that as to be factored and is out of our control but to go and solely blame it on exchange rate is wrong. Other factors are at play here. If you don't factor in the exchange rate, the games when up by $1500+ in 4 years. Technical advancements like the spike system helped them remove a lot of wiring and a lot of boards. Replacing the lockdown mech with the latches, the service brackets for two pegs, replacing the metal apron for a plastic. I'm all for a cheaper BOM and quite honestly don't mind the changes apart from the services brackets change. Trying to keep the machine the same price while increasing your profits is good but to lower the BOM and increase the price.....ummmm....

That $1500 increase in 4 years. I would like to know the breakdown.

In Canada there is only 1 distributor and then resellers

I buy from a reseller here.
    So that pin goes has touched 3 hands before it got to me

So 3 companies could jack up the end price to me for whatever reason

Say each adds $125 per year
    That's like 3% each inflation per year per company. Does that seem that bad?

#61 8 years ago

The distributors or resellers are not the ones increasing the MSRP. Stern is.

Since when have u paid msrp on a stern game?

That $5500 price I gave u for Star Trek pro in 2014 was a landed price to my door. Gst and shipping all in

#85 8 years ago

It doesn't matter. Stern raises MSRP, distributor raises price to make up for the difference.

I think u just answered the question on who is raising the prices to u

If u are so much at odds with sterns prices and sterns business practices. Simply don't buy their games and buy the competitions games to help them grow.

I should have asked earlier. Please show me a nice white water for $1800 where it's remotely close to me (edmonton Alberta) Because if it's far. I have to add shipping which will drive the price up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballophobe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-stern-will-start-to-fall-behind-like-gottleib-did?tu=pinballophobe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.