(Topic ID: 120778)

Do you think Jpop/Magic Girl will cause JJP/Lawlor to step up #3?

By notaflyingtoy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you think Jpop/Magic Girl will cause JJP/Lawlor to step up #3?”

• Yes 5 votes
    4%
  • No 102 votes
    85%
  • Maybe 4 votes
    3%
  • Don't know 9 votes
    8%

(120 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New-18.png
blueboy.jpeg
folder art.PNG
sparky.PNG
lisa frank.jpg
Fans.jpeg
th.jpeg
peeps.jpg
pTRU1-12809932dt.jpg
magic_pf_full_blue.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I listened to the sounds and call outs on my HD600 headphones and they are great, even considering they had been reduced in quality by being MP3ed.
Other boutique manufacturers have such shrill sounding game sounds that it is actually fatiguing to play (or be near someone playing).
-
Then look at that playfield art and the plastics <------- THAT IS HOW IT'S DONE!
-
Finally, look at those animations!
They make the other manufacturer's look about as animated as a Hanna Barbara cartoon.
-
Now if Jpop can get some software that is up to the quality level of they rest of the game, who is going to be able to clear that bar?

Again with the "If"s. Haha. I really do hope it's great, but so far it's just great art... and JPOP didn't do that part!

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Again with the "If"s. Haha. I really do hope it's great, but so far it's just great art... and JPOP didn't do that part!

Cheer up and quit being so negative.

Jack did not design WOZ and Gary did not design AC/DC.

lol.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All the colors of a Huffy girls bicycle.

lisa frank.jpglisa frank.jpg

I was thinking more Lisa Frank, and I'm hyped on that.

Edit: And Dirty Donny reminds me of middle school notebook doodles, and I'm hyped on that as well.

sparky.PNGsparky.PNG

folder art.PNGfolder art.PNG

#54 9 years ago

blueboy.jpegblueboy.jpeg

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cheer up and quit being so negative.
Jack did not design WOZ and Gary did not design AC/DC.
lol.

Not my intention to be negative at all. I suppose that's the end result. My apologies. I was just being silly.

I do believe in keeping this positive. I always try to be.

Generally, if I don't have something nice to say, I don't say anything at all. I think my posts reflect that.

I have been dumbfounded with the progression of these pins though... I just don't understand the deification of JPOP.

The thing that FINALLY got me to chime in (after a million posts in the JPOP thread) was seeing a Pinside hero of mine (vid1900) praising an as yet non existent machine. Again... Just being silly.

I certainly do hope they're great, and see completion soon.

Negative Nancy Out!

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

praising an as yet non existent machine.

I only praised the Art, Animations and Sounds as potential bar raisers.

As far as a completed machine, I can't praise it because, like you said, it's non existent.

#57 9 years ago

The line art itself is nice, actually really nice but the palette is no good. Biggest problem is that the colors are all too close together in brightness. Makes all the detail hard to make out, without good color contrast to help. Eliminate the hue and see what a mess it is

New-18.pngNew-18.png

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

One thing for sure, Pat Lawlor has risen the bar before. #3 might be the game where he does it again.

Not in a decade

But I have hope.

To the OP:
No other company will cause JJP to raise the bar as much as BUYERS holding these boutique companies more accountable will....

No fawning over themes to the point where they ignore basic fundamentals.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

That is JJP's ace in the hole. Keefer is the king in this arena IMHO. I don't see any reasonable threat of unseating him unless Stern unleashes Lyman ... and I would still take Keith.

Absolutely! If the Jedi council represented all of the programmers in pinball then Keith is Yoda.

#60 9 years ago

When people start color matching LEDs, that playfield will be a washed out pink and purple nightmare. You won't see all that beautiful art work.

#61 9 years ago

It is not even a threat to any pinball company if it was the best and most beautifull pin ever.

Cause only a handfull will be made. Plus the price is way to high to seriously compete with others.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Absolutely! If the Jedi council represented all of the programmers in pinball then Keith is Yoda.

And Lyman is Mace Windu.. Because his lightsaber is the one that says "Bad-ass Mother F***er"

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

I think Jpop's stuff is amazing and is setting and raising the bar. I can only hope that JJP#3 is better for it but I don't know. Would love to hear from folks who have some insight.

All we know about MG is that the artist JPop hired is amazing, but nothing beyond that is apparent.

The market has proven that well done custom art on a pinball machines increases sales, so considering JJP Pin #3 is not not based on a movie like #1-2, here's to hoping it does use custom art.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Say what you will, that artwork is incredible.

Yeah, amazing what you can do with a computer assisted tablet

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

All we know about MG is that the artist JPop hired is amazing, but nothing beyond that is apparent.
The market has proven that well done custom art on a pinball machines increases sales, so considering JJP Pin #3 is not not based on a movie like #1-2, here's to hoping it does use custom art.

#3 unlicensed and custom, John Youssi hired and signed on for the next few titles for JJP. There was a thread about that announcement Stern wasn't happy about it.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you burned your bridges with Stern and JJP kicks the bucket, where you gonna go?

Actually AFAIC Stern burned the bridge, I just kicked the burnt-out remains over the cliff.

And, yeah, there's absolutely nothing else I could do in life. Poor me.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

#3 unlicensed and custom, John Youssi hired and signed on for the next few titles for JJP. There was a thread about that announcement Stern wasn't happy about it.

Considering Stern has had both Lawlor and Youssi on staff for prior games if they regret not having them now that is their own fault. As much as I like the resurgence in pinball including some of the best pinball talents re-employed to do what they are best at, I'm also still waiting for new blood to come into the industry to make a truly lasting difference.

#68 9 years ago

DP

#69 9 years ago

It's Apples Oranges and Pears really.

#70 9 years ago

Zidware is high end boutique at the moment.

I think JJP has more to worry about from Dutch Pinball

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Zidware is high end boutique

There goes that word again. "boutique".... must go with the color scheme....

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

And, yeah, there's absolutely nothing else I could do in life. Poor me.

Living under an overpass, coding the final lines of WOF on an old Gateway laptop, siphoning power from a solar construction sign, a figure approaches, the laptop is guardedly closed, an open hand is lowered, a gold pinball is offered - it's warm and glows with the power of a hundred #44 bulbs, in the light you see a familiar smile, Steve Kordek takes you home

#73 9 years ago

This is like comparing Unicorns to Leprechauns. We've heard of both, but the chances of actually seeing one in the wild are impossible.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This is like comparing Unicorns to Leprechauns. We've heard of both, but the chances of actually seeing one in the wild are impossible.

Without speculation what is Pinside?

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Living under an overpass, coding the final lines of WOF on an old Gateway laptop, siphoning power from a solar construction sign, a figure approaches, the laptop is guardedly closed, an open hand is lowered, a gold pinball is offered - it's warm and glows with the power of a hundred #44 bulbs, in the light you see a familiar smile, Steve Kordek takes you home

Nicely done vid, but I don't think we'll be seeing Keith under any overpasses, anytime soon. You should be a fictional writer however! What do you do for a living?

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, I think Ted is Yoda here, although I don't think he'd like being called a small green troll with bad grammar...

I'll leave it to the rest of you to figure out who Obi-wan is.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Nicely done vid, but I don't think we'll be seeing Keith under any overpasses, anytime soon.

I sure hope not.

Quoted from Hitch9:

What do you do for a living?

Nowadays I design, build and service CNC machines.

Backintheday, I ran a coinop route.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Plenty of 'other' programming jobs out there other than Pinball, Keith's options are wide open I would think.

Not all programming jobs are created equal.

For instance, a programmer who works with pinball code might not have the skillset to make mobile apps. Different languages, different techniques, different code libraries, different audiences, etc.

It's like the difference between driving a sedan and driving a 16-wheeler. Sure, the rules of the road are the same and the idea is to get from point A to point B, but different pools of skills, knowledge, and experience are needed to operate each vehicle.

#79 9 years ago

Horrible analogy...
I had a CDL its not that hard to learn to drive a big rig if you know how to drive.
Much like Keefer could probably learn real quick to program other things.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Horrible analogy...
I had a CDL its not that hard to learn to drive a big rig if you know how to drive.
Much like Keefer could probably learn real quick to program other things.

There are folks who can jump between disciplines/languages, much like some people can drive both kinds of vehicles, as you've just indicated. It's not always an exclusive relationship--simply a smaller pool of people.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not all programming jobs are created equal.
For instance, a programmer who works with pinball code might not have the skillset to make mobile apps. Different languages, different techniques, different code libraries, different audiences, etc.
It's like the difference between driving a sedan and driving a 16-wheeler. Sure, the rules of the road are the same and the idea is to get from point A to point B, but different pools of skills, knowledge, and experience are needed to operate each vehicle.

While I know where you are going - I have to disagree. I got a CS degree 20+ years ago. Did Unix C++ coding, then went to Microsoft/C++, then Visual Basic (don't miss that), then C#, then Java, then back to C# - did everything from batch jobs, system integration, cell phone rating/billing system, mobile, desktop, cloud - etc.

While I agree a programmer may have to adapt to new platforms, languages, best practices, etc. I think someone like Keith would have no problem. I think he has a programming/engineering degree from Virginia Tech (not too shabby)

Edit: Forgot to mention I mostly do Javascript/CSS/HTML 5/bootstrap type of development now - a far cry from Unix/C++ but I still use those 'baseline programming' skills all the time.

#82 9 years ago

All moot anyway, JJP ain't going away anytime soon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-jpopmagic-girl-will-cause-jjplawlor-to-step-up-3/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.