(Topic ID: 120778)

Do you think Jpop/Magic Girl will cause JJP/Lawlor to step up #3?

By notaflyingtoy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you think Jpop/Magic Girl will cause JJP/Lawlor to step up #3?”

• Yes 5 votes
    4%
  • No 102 votes
    85%
  • Maybe 4 votes
    3%
  • Don't know 9 votes
    8%

(120 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New-18.png
blueboy.jpeg
folder art.PNG
sparky.PNG
lisa frank.jpg
Fans.jpeg
th.jpeg
peeps.jpg
pTRU1-12809932dt.jpg
magic_pf_full_blue.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

EDIT
I am going to ask that this thread be closed. At the time of posting this I was assuming that there would actually be a Zidware game produced. Now it just comes across as something of an insult to Pat Lawlor and the men and women of Jersey Jack Pinball, which was never my intention. My apologies.
Lawrence
---------------------------

Was wondering that with all that is known about Magic Girl if that causes JJP or Pat Lawlor to want to exceed that level of design (I realize Jpop / Zidware hasn't even shown a fully functioning game). I'm not implying that JJP sees Zidware as a competitor. But I know one of Jack's goals is to push the boundaries, which is one of John's goals. I'm a big Pat Lawlor fan, and in a way he has something to prove since he was away for awhile.

I think Jpop's stuff is amazing and is setting and raising the bar. I can only hope that JJP#3 is better for it but I don't know. Would love to hear from folks who have some insight.

#2 9 years ago

No. I'm pretty sure JJP #3 will be released first and JPop will be forced to scrap the current MG design and try and match Lawlor. I love JPop's games and have 2 of his best, but I don't think he's even in Lawlor's realm as a designer.

#3 9 years ago

Jpop's new stuff is beyond raising the bar.

Assuming the rules are good, that art and sound package IS the one to beat - amazing.

#4 9 years ago

Nothing not released causes anyone to step up their game. IMO we should wait till a pin is complete and shipping before we crown it King.

#5 9 years ago

As of yet, I have seen nothing about MG that screams "bar raising" to me. The art is phenominal and so is the screen, but so are those items on JJP's offerings so far.

MG really looks like a tribute to JPop's 90's games by JPop. Not too exciting for me. I would be interested to see AIW, assuming he ever actually starts making games.

#6 9 years ago

For what it's worth, i know for a fact that JJP does view Zidware as a competitor.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

For what it's worth, i know for a fact that JJP does view Zidware as a competitor.

If Jpop ever makes a game, let alone ships one out then the poll would hold some relevance. Otherwise just throwing darts at a board at this time.

#8 9 years ago

We'll be lucky to see a JPOP game made by JJP Release #300. So until then; the only competition jjp has from JPOP is the $ he can swindle from more people.

#9 9 years ago
magic_pf_full_blue.jpgmagic_pf_full_blue.jpg
#10 9 years ago

All the colors of a Huffy girls bicycle.

#11 9 years ago

Zidware's hand-drawn art looks excellent and is a nice change of pace from other games being made now. The neon color palate doesn't do much for me, but I guess if they went with anything else they'd be disappointing JPop's fans. And the "magic" inserts in the middle of the playfield are in serious need of a font makeover (has a futuristic vibe that doesn't scream "magic" to me.) So I'd say there's plenty of room for JJP to make #3 a beautiful, hand-drawn game that could readily compete with Zidware on pure aesthetics.

Still, I'm hoping like everyone else that Magic Girl comes together soon and makes the buyers very happy, they've been on a long and bumpy ride and deserve some satisfaction!

#12 9 years ago

pTRU1-12809932dt.jpgpTRU1-12809932dt.jpg

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Zidware's hand-drawn art looks excellent and is a nice change of pace from other games being made now. The neon color palate doesn't do much for me, but I guess if they went with anything else they'd be disappointing JPop's fans. And the "magic" inserts in the middle of the playfield are in serious need of a font makeover (has a futuristic vibe that doesn't scream "magic" to me.) So I'd say there's plenty of room for JJP to make #3 a beautiful, hand-drawn game that could readily compete with Zidware on pure aesthetics.
Still, I'm hoping like everyone else that Magic Girl comes together soon and makes the buyers very happy, they've been on a long and bumpy ride and deserve some satisfaction!

They look good lite up by the laser

#14 9 years ago

He must have settled on the color palate around Easter time. Looks like a basket full of Peeps!peeps.jpgpeeps.jpg

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

We'll be lucky to see a JPOP game made by JJP Release #300. So until then; the only competition jjp has from JPOP is the $ he can swindle from more people.

Ouch! kind of harsh SKB

#16 9 years ago

Jpoops MG is how much, 12-15K? I don't remember. JJP is 7500.00. By looking at what I have seen of MG and comparing it to WoZ and/or THLE I would 1000 times rather have MG but you cant compare the two. MG is a Ferrari JJPs pins are mass produced Corvettes. The artwork on MG is beautiful hand drawn stuff while as nice as JJP's PF are they are still photoshoped pics. JJP #3 may be different but I don't see it anywhere near the quality that MG looks to have. But, we haven't seen a actual MG have we? My opinion and jumbled thoughts

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All the colors of a Huffy girls bicycle.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

He must have settled on the color palate around Easter time. Looks like a basket full of Peeps!peeps.jpg

honestly, it looks like someone ate those peeps and then puked on a piece of plywood...

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

MG is a Ferrari

th.jpegth.jpeg

#20 9 years ago

I'll wait to call MG a Ferrari until we see an actual working game. Might turn out to be a Pinto.

I think it might be safe to compare them to Art such as Picasso vs average graphic designer.

But, until he has actually produced a working game, its all just a big art display.

#21 9 years ago

What car is that? Yes MG is a Ferrari. I think the PF art and colors are awesome. You are talking to a guy who has a fluorescent yellow, green and orange and purple motorcycle helmet. And no I am not gay, I just like bright colors.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

And no I am not gay, I just like bright colors.

Well, that's a start

#23 9 years ago

I definitely think that Jpop's imaginary game has raised the bar for Pat Lawlor's imaginary game.

I'm hoping that Eugene Jarvis and Steve Ritchie form their own company and come up with an imaginary game to raise the imaginary bar for everyone.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

You are talking to a guy who has a fluorescent yellow, green and orange and purple motorcycle helmet. And no I am not gay, I just like bright colors.

And as he rode off into the sunset, the first chords of "Purple Rain" could be heard echoing over the roar of his engine ...

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

And no I am not gay, I just like bright colors.

You can be gay and like bright colors.

#26 9 years ago

Say what you will, that artwork is incredible.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ouch! kind of harsh SKB

Ya I know and unlike me really (sort of). But put it this way regarding my comment; id be much happier if I was more wrong than right in this scenario
I'm just scared that I might not be wrong

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can be gay and like bright colors.

Sure you can. I however am not

#29 9 years ago

You can buy comic books with similar/better hand drawn art for $3 every day. No one is doubting the art is great, but to raise the bar on anything, this thing has to become a pinball machine.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Sure you can. I however am not

You can be honest, James. We're all friends here.

#31 9 years ago

If the code is anything like JPops other games the game will have the looks of a Ferrari but putter around with a Fiat engine.... I'll take the company that's actually building games and has Keefer and Ted on software. I don't think JPop is a threat to anyone until he starts shipping games.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I definitely think that Jpop's imaginary game has raised the bar for Pat Lawlor's imaginary game.
I'm hoping that Eugene Jarvis and Steve Ritchie form their own company and come up with an imaginary game to raise the imaginary bar for everyone.

Yes please. A game from Ritchie that does not have to be reigned in by Gary Stern would be awesome.

#33 9 years ago

We like it!

Fans.jpegFans.jpeg

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Was wondering that with all that is known about Magic Girl if that causes JJP or Pat Lawlor to want to exceed that level of design.

In short, no. MG is not a competitive threat to PLJJP. Pat and his team have been designing and developing the game that will showcase what can be done with an unlicensed title on the JJP platform. I can't imagine anything that JPop could do that would say to the JJP team "oh, we have to switch gears to remain viable", even if MG is released prior to Pat's game, no matter how fantastic MG may be.

Given that almost no one will ever have a chance to own (or even see/play) MG, I don't think what JPOP does with it is going to matter to anyone at JJP or impact Pat's game in any way.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Given that almost no one will ever have a chance to own (or even see/play) MG, I don't think what JPOP does with it is going to matter to anyone at JJP or impact Pat's game in any way

Partially disagree:
Both are working on a pre-order model,
Both of them are on the very expensive side,
and the number of people like me still ready to support pre-order it is shrinking fast.

Most of us have limited $ and/or space so we commit ourselves to a limited number of projects.

Worst if no game is released because that $ is immobilized forever, and non-existing games cannot be resold... meaning the poor pre-buyers for MG, RAZA, Predator are stuck.

#36 9 years ago

Here's another thing. If I wanted to order a game from Jpoop I wouldn't know how. He refuses to answer a phone or a email or anything else. I aint giving anyone any money that I cant speak to. Jack would always answer a phone, text or email. I called Jen and asked for a refund and I got it within a month. Can I do this with Jpoop and this is why I use the term Jpoop.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

the number of people like me still ready to support pre-order it is shrinking fast.

I'm not sure this is true at all. Has a single "pre-order" effort fallen flat yet?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You can be honest, James. We're all friends here.

OK, you got me. Im a lesbian trapped in the body of a man.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure this is true at all. Has a single "pre-order" effort fallen flat yet?

Vonnie D ?

Jokes aside, how many "pre-order" efforts have succeeded ?

#40 9 years ago

IPB and JJP? Was BJM a pre order?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Jpop's new stuff is beyond raising the bar.
Assuming the rules are good, that art and sound package IS the one to beat - amazing.

Vid, I usually find you to be the voice of reason here... but that is one HELL of an assumption!!!

The whole JPOP thing is a total mess, there is no universe in which it's raising any bars!

#42 9 years ago

Magic Girl costs $16k-$18k right? Thats in range of double the price of a JJP pin. It better be far better then anything JJP has offered at those crazy prices.

Also, why should JJP feel they have to step it up for JJP #3? For $8k WOZ already offers the most value for an available higher priced NIB pin. If stepping it up means even higher prices then I wouldnt want that personally. Also, if JJP wants to continue selling a decent number of pins every year they need to stick within the $6500-$8k range in my opinion.

I don't think any pinball manufacture can stay in business selling pins at $8500, $9k, etc in the long run. Zidware can get away with JMagic Girl at $16k-$18k as so few of them are being made.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

The whole JPOP thing is a total mess, there is no universe in which it's raising any bars!

I listened to the sounds and call outs on my HD600 headphones and they are great, even considering they had been reduced in quality by being MP3ed.

Other boutique manufacturers have such shrill sounding game sounds that it is actually fatiguing to play (or be near someone playing).

-

Then look at that playfield art and the plastics <------- THAT IS HOW IT'S DONE!

-

Finally, look at those animations!

They make the other manufacturer's look about as animated as a Hanna Barbara cartoon.

-

Now if Jpop can get some software that is up to the quality level of they rest of the game, who is going to be able to clear that bar?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Partially disagree:
Both are working on a pre-order model,
Both of them are on the very expensive side,
and the number of people like me still ready to support pre-order it is shrinking fast.

There is no pre-order for Pat's game.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Now if Jpop can get some software that is up to the quality level of they rest of the game, who is going to be able to clear that bar?

That is JJP's ace in the hole. Keefer is the king in this arena IMHO. I don't see any reasonable threat of unseating him unless Stern unleashes Lyman ... and I would still take Keith.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

That is JJP's ace in the hole. Keefer is the king in this arena IMHO. I don't see any reasonable threat of unseating him unless Stern unleashes Lyman ... and I would still take Keith.

Pinball is a volatile biz, they could all swap partners in the blink of an eye.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball is a volatile biz, they could all swap partners in the blink of an eye.

You are all too correct my friend. Still, I don't see Keefer or Lyman being lured into a job with JPop.

#48 9 years ago

One thing for sure, Pat Lawlor has risen the bar before. #3 might be the game where he does it again.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Still, I don't see Keefer or Lyman being lured into a job with JPop.

If you burned your bridges with Stern and JJP kicks the bucket, where you gonna go?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you can't go back to Stern and JJP kicks the bucket, where you gonna go?

Plenty of 'other' programming jobs out there other than Pinball, Keith's options are wide open I would think.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-jpopmagic-girl-will-cause-jjplawlor-to-step-up-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.