(Topic ID: 191557)

Do you think Chicago Gaming will make Monster Bash?

By Rascal_H

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will Chicago Gaming make MB?”

• Yes, I'm sure they will make it! 206 votes
    50%
  • Yes, I'm guessing/hoping they'll make it! 138 votes
    33%
  • No, I know they won't make it. 33 votes
    8%
  • No, I'm guessing/hoping they don't make it. 21 votes
    5%
  • Andrew Heighway will return to make it. 16 votes
    4%

(414 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8462 (resized).PNG

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Meet the Micro folk at a couple shows now. Nice people, great product. They had a batch of MB, and many more. Really pumping these playfields out now working with PPS. Many new titles ive never seen anywhere.

I"m confused. Does Mirco do the playfields, or is CGC doing them?

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Are there any games missing from my list that are in the remake possibility category? I'm a buyer for all of the titles listed, but like others can't justify paying big money if a remake is coming out.
Cactus Canyon
Monster Bash
Tales of Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
?
?

Big Bang Bar

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I do think that MB will be easier than CC for PPS as the code is allready complete, CC without CCC is not that great! Rick has stated that there will never be a CCC but they would "update" CC code, who knows what that will be like or who will code the game.

This is a really good point. I'm not sure the demand for this title with its original code would really be that strong. They would have to do work to finish it or find a way to get the CCC code into it, and was that code even licensed (I don't know the history on it)?

#104 6 years ago

I wonder if CGC could do what Stern has done and update a layout with new art, rules, and dots?

A new DW based on the new series would be pretty cool. They would have the perfect number of doctors if they start with 8 (not really classic who but not new series either and he was not in the original game) and include whoemever Capaldi will regenerate into this Christmas.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wonder if CGC could do what Stern has done and update a layout with new art, rules, and dots?
A new DW based on the new series would be pretty cool. They would have the perfect number of doctors if they start with 8 (not really classic who but not new series either and he was not in the original game) and include whoemever Capaldi will regenerate into this Christmas.

Posting some updates on that front soon. Not *exactly* what you have in mind but it really improves the game in a huge way...

Also Paul McGann did appear on the new series as Doctor 8; he regenerates into the War Doctor (john hurt). Plus he has done hours and hours of audio dramas for the BBC as the 8th. even the worst one is miles better than that awful movie he did.

#106 6 years ago

All I can say is.... Maybe

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I"m confused. Does Mirco do the playfields, or is CGC doing them?

CGC makes them for the PPS/CGC games.

LTG : )

#108 6 years ago

Cactus Canyone is alright. Monster Bash deserves the remake first though. It's such a classic game and never gets old.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

Cactus Canyone is alright. Monster Bash deserves the remake first though. It's such a classic game and never gets old.

Totally a classic. Never getting old though.. I dunno about that. Once you've seen monsters of rock a few times the novelty kinda wears off. But I'm gravitating towards deeper rulesets these days so maybe I'm on my own in this thought.

#110 6 years ago

Are there any games missing from my list that are in the remake possibility category? I'm a buyer for all of the titles listed, but like others can't justify paying big money if a remake is coming out.
Cactus Canyon
Monster Bash
Tales of Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
?

Okay, based on this thread here's an updated list of real possibilities then.

Cactus Canyon
Monster Bash
Tales of Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
Big Bang Bar
Circus Voltair ?
King Pin ?

#111 6 years ago

Who would like to see Addams Family Made? I know I would! Most Addams are trashed because they were good earners.
Standard, Gold and Platinum edition. Who's in?

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Who would like to see Addams Family Made? I know I would! Most Addams are trashed because they were good earners.

I'd love to put a TAF on location, would crush it.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Totally a classic. Never getting old though.. I dunno about that. Once you've seen monsters of rock a few times the novelty kinda wears off. But I'm gravitating towards deeper rulesets these days so maybe I'm on my own in this thought.

Agreed ... afm and mm are much better than mb . I am actually letting mine go soon .

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Addams, Indy, twilight zone, will never ever be made. Licencing would never be settled for these 3 titles.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Agreed ... afm and mm are much better than mb . I am actually letting mine go soon .

Kind of the same feeling I've had lately. LOVE the theme, but I play my CFTBL wayyyy more..

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Kind of the same feeling I've had lately. LOVE the theme, but I play my CFTBL wayyyy more..

You know where to find me for a potential MB / MMr trade deal....I'd consider it and we live soooo close

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

You know where to find me for a potential MB / MMr trade deal....I'd consider it and we live soooo close

I've got some ideas... still waiting on that PF But if you wanna come check it out after the 4th maybe we can try something!

1 week later
#118 6 years ago

Okay, based on this thread here's an updated list of real possibilities then.
Cactus Canyon
Monster Bash
Tales of Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
Big Bang Bar
Circus Voltair ?
King Pin ?

I guess I'm the only one who could care less about CC. I've never even heard of BBB or KP, and I've played for decades. MB never did a thing for me. Arabian, same. I enjoy Theater of Magic, but if you can buy the game for less than $7,000 I don't think it's fiscally sound for them to remake it, right?

I want them to remake Scared Stiff. I was set to buy AFM two weeks before they announced the remake, but I called them and they said to wait while winking over the phone.

I know nothing about any of the legalities, licensing, whatever so I'm just spitballing since this is supposed to be fun. Someone was saying all the Addams Family games are trashed. Boy is that true. Same for STTNG.

If they lowered the price point, I think it would open up for a lot of remakes to be possible and make a lot of sense. Maybe some people are purists and only want to shop out originals, but I'd much rather buy new game and never let it leave my sight.

1) Scared Stiff
2) Addams Family
3) Star Trek: The Next Generation (might not be willing to pay as high as other remakes though)
4) Twilight Zone

remember, this is a fantasy list... I think I'd be good at that point

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from norcalfella:

3) Star Trek: The Next Generation (might not be willing to pay as high as other remakes though)

That thought hit me like a hammer.
This machine is a blast to play - awesome flow, fantastic music and sound effects and overall exemplary. I sold mine years ago due it being a permanent "construction zone". Now let's assume CGC doing a remake with bulletproof electronics and all the original's flaws ironed out. This prospect alone makes me reach for my wallet.
Though unlikely at this point in time, I'd love to see this happen somewhere down the road.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

bulletproof electronics and all the original's flaws ironed out.

Had one for a few years. Put in new boards and haven't had an issue since. Nothing. Maintenance free for a couple years now.

That said, there is so much stuff packed in that game that a remake would be LE pricing level for sure and I don't see people paying 8 or 9k for a game that can be had for 4k players and maybe 5k ish for a pristine one. I think they made a TON of them too so no shortage of choices. So, my bet, they never remake STTNG.

#121 6 years ago

Addams, Indy, twilight zone, will never ever be made. Licencing would never be settled for these 3 titles.

What makes you say that? Pinball Arcade got the rights to virtually reproduce Twilight Zone and Addams (but for Christopher Lloyd and Pugsley's faces, of course). Indiana Jones could admittedly be tricky/impossible. But I wouldn't discount the other two out of hand.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That said, there is so much stuff packed in that game that a remake would be LE pricing level for sure and I don't see people paying 8 or 9k for a game that can be had for 4k players and maybe 5k ish for a pristine one.

I agree. One man can dream though (add XXL-Color Display, upgraded sound, starship toys, full RGB Leds ...).

#123 6 years ago

If there's money to be made from otherwise dead or moribund franchises they will find a way. That's the way the world works.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from norcalfella:

I've never even heard of BBB or KP, and I've played for decades.

If you go to some of the local shows, like CAX, which is nearby where you live, somebody is nice enough to bring them every year. Otherwise, they are so rare, most people won't ever get to see or play one.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

This machine is a blast to play - awesome flow, fantastic music and sound effects and overall exemplary. I sold mine years ago due it being a permanent "construction zone". Now let's assume CGC doing a remake with bulletproof electronics and all the original's flaws ironed out. This prospect alone makes me reach for my wallet.
Though unlikely at this point in time, I'd love to see this happen somewhere down the road.

Yeah it might be a pipe dream and kinda weird considering the recent new Star Trek game, but damn certain tables just get things right. A lot of stuff to do, ramps, etc and you don't get bored playing 1,000 times.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

If you go to some of the local shows, like CAX, which is nearby where you live, somebody is nice enough to bring them every year. Otherwise, they are so rare, most people won't ever get to see or play one.

I might have to do it at the end of the month. BBB only had 14 made it says? Well that explains it. I do see it on the list for CAX. Last year I went to Dixon (which is moving I forget what they call it for 2018 next May) and don't think it was there.

Same super rare deal with KP (9 made!) which is also on the list. I'm shocked both of these will be at the show.

I might have to save some stamina for Food Fight, the rare arcade game I GAF about.

Thanks for the tip.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from norcalfella:

I might have to do it at the end of the month. BBB only had 14 made it says? Well that explains it. I do see it on the list for CAX. Last year I went to Dixon (which is moving I forget what they call it for 2018 next May) and don't think it was there.
Same super rare deal with KP (9 made!) which is also on the list. I'm shocked both of these will be at the show.
I might have to save some stamina for Food Fight, the rare arcade game I GAF about.
Thanks for the tip.

Bbb was remade by gene ....i believe another 190-200 were made.

2 months later
#128 6 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

You mean bullet proof like Sterns new Spike system which is turning out to be a HUO nightmare? As long as they are interested in saving on production costs, I would think the push to surface mount components and disposable circuit boards will be a primary consideration. This does not bode well for us DIY hobbyists.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

You mean bullet proof like Sterns new Spike system which is turning out to be a HUO nightmare?

Can you elaborate? I've read people's concerns that Spike node boards are harder to do DIY repairs on, but has Stern actually started negging requests for "warranty" service on the boards? (I put "warranty" in quotes because of course most of this stuff falls outside the letter of Stern's written warranty). I hadn't read reports of that.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Can you elaborate? I've read people's concerns that Spike node boards are harder to do DIY repairs on, but has Stern actually started negging requests for "warranty" service on the boards? (I put "warranty" in quotes because of course most of this stuff falls outside the letter of Stern's written warranty). I hadn't read reports of that.

Many spike owners are concerned about future availability of these custom node and LED boards and the outrageous cost of them. And you are correct in that the hobbyist will unlikely be able to trouble shoot and repair these boards. Check out this video.

#131 6 years ago

Many spike owners are concerned about future availability of these custom node and LED boards and the outrageous cost of them. And you are correct in that the hobbyist will unlikely be able to trouble shoot and repair these boards. Check out this video.
» YouTube video

Yeah I've seen the video and read the related threads (if you haven't you should, there are interesting comments in there from people that actually do work on these types of boards professionally). Just not sure how speculation about future availability equates to a "HUO nightmare."

EDIT: Here's the post I was thinking of:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-sterns-node-boards-repairable#post-3783551

I take this to mean that professional board repair community should still be able to fix Stern node boards as needed down the line. I know there are those here that like to do their own board work, and the node boards will require either learning new skills (and buying new equipment), or hiring others to do repairs. But for those like me that would be sending our boards out for service anyway, it really doesn't sound like there will be a difference. So long as they are still readily repairable, I'm satisfied.

#132 6 years ago

heard they are supposed to announce mb at expo! guess we'll know in 2 days!

#133 6 years ago

MB would be very tempting for me... Very tempting.

#134 6 years ago

I think they will do some other game before Monster Bash. ToM would be a good choice and that would give them time to get all the licensing together for MB. After that I hope they do Cactus Canyon Continued so I can replace my original one and that way I get all the new stuff and I don't have to do a playfield swap........yeah.

John

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I think they will do some other game before Monster Bash. ToM would be a good choice and that would give them time to get all the licensing together for MB.

Why would the licensing for MB be hard? Pinball Arcade got it pretty easily back in the day, I think it was one of the first tables they put out, before they got into the whole kickstarter thing for "difficult" licenses like TZ and T2. You think Universal's failing attempt to relaunch it's "Universal Monsters" line is going to muck things up somehow?

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Why would the licensing for MB be hard? Pinball Arcade got it pretty easily back in the day, I think it was one of the first tables they put out, before they got into the whole kickstarter thing for "difficult" licenses like TZ and T2. You think Universal's failing attempt to relaunch it's "Universal Monsters" line is going to muck things up somehow?

Universal is BIG, which is one reason I can think of. They seem to be ok with slapping the Monsters on a lot of products, but it probably costs a percentage of sales, and I bet it has to be approved. May be a pain, vs a game like CC which is wholly owned. Seems like the other games which were not licensed did well

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Universal is BIG, which is one reason I can think of. They seem to be ok with slapping the Monsters on a lot of products, but it probably costs a percentage of sales, and I bet it has to be approved. May be a pain, vs a game like CC which is wholly owned. Seems like the other games which were not licensed did well

MM and AFM definitely seem to have sold well! But CC and some of the other non-licensed titles people bring up as alternatives to MB are not in everybody's top ten list, which I think probably had something to do with the sales figures for MM and AFM. In other words, MM was selling for $12k before the remake because it was extremely popular, CC was selling for $12k because it was extremely rare. Once you remove the supply bottle-neck, would you want to be selling a machine that everyone loves, or a machine that collectors were excited about because it was rare but that you've just made easily available?

Incidentally, a lot of my thinking on pinball licensing comes from this interview with Roger Sharpe:
http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/
Sounds like licensing costs are not a huge part of the overall budget for most pins (he thinks no one would ever pay $100/machine, so we're talking < 1.5% of MSRP on a $6,500 machine). Of course there may be some exceptions for uber licenses like Star Wars, but Mr. Sharpe seems like he knows what he's talking about when it comes to pinball licensing.

None of this means that any particular license is guaranteed to be obtainable -- if people say no they say no, and that happens sometimes with actors and likeness rights (not an issue with MB, of course!) But generally, money talks ...

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Why would the licensing for MB be hard?

I agree. Vid1900 famously brought up a box of tissues he had with Universal Monsters art.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Does anybody under 40 today really care about the Universal Monsters?

No - not really.

#140 6 years ago

I guess its possible that MB would be remade but who knows how difficult or expensive that might be (with licensing). I figure some possibilities that might be just as likely (or maybe more likely) are...

CCC (my vote)
SS (I've gotten the impression that this license holder is pinball friendly)
TOM
TOTAN
WH2O
CV

I could be wrong, but, in general, I think A-List games with original non-licensed themes are more likely to be remade.

#141 6 years ago

I'd love if they remade WH2O, still love that game. I am not sure if they have to recreate all the ramp molds and stuff m, vs Mb which seems to me to have a lot smaller BOM. There's the figures and a couple of wireforms and... um... plastics? Even the frank table isn't that many pieces really. Drac's motor and that arm might be a pain. Man I would love if TOM was remade!! That's my vote

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Vid1900 famously brought up a box of tissues he had with Universal Monsters art.

And that's probably the least offensive item in his Universal Monsters collection ...

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I could be wrong, but, in general, I think A-List games with original non-licensed themes are more likely to be remade.

Of course we can't really judge from what CGC has done so far -- they remade two non-licensed themes, but those also happen to be two of the most beloved pinball machines of all time. So it's not easy to say whether licensing played any part in their decision. Again, based on what Roger Sharpe said, and how ubiquitous licensed themes are in new Sterns that sell at an even lower price point, I have trouble believing that licensing is regularly going to be a deal breaker. There will probably be issues with individual titles (Harrison Ford might refuse to allow use of his face on an Indy remake, for instance, or the Tolkien estate might have somehow regained rights and neg an LOTR Vault edition). But big companies have licensing teams that are paid to make deals just like this every day, so that they can milk every last penny out of these properties, right down to tissues and breakfast cereals.

Hopefully we'll find out within a few days what CGC's next move is, and then we can scratch one off the list and get on to speculating about their game number four!

#143 6 years ago

In the CGC Production thread Doug has posted that CGC will reveal their next game at TPF in March.

Quoted from CGC_DougS:

Hello:
I hope all is good with everyone. Fall is soon to be upon us and both the tradeshows and pinball fests will start all over again. Next week I will be attending the EAS in Berlin Germany, which is a tradeshow for the professional amusement and park industry. We will have a stand at the exhibition and look forward in meeting new operators and dealers. Beyond that several more shows before the year is up (including pinball Expo and the IAAPA).
Update:
1. Please join me (follow us) on Facebook and see the quick walk through on MMR production: https://www.facebook.com/chicagogamingcompany/
2. MMR Production will carry on to likely October 6th. We will then quickly turn back to AFMR.
3. Our first order of business upon returning to AFM, will be build out all of the overseas containers. A good percentage of the MMR is being stages for these containers as well. I am predicting that this will take about three weeks of AFM production. After completing these orders, we will return to North America production again. Our goal is to have all LE’s shipped prior to Christmas…fingers crossed.
4. Most of our dealers are reporting that they have either sold through or will soon sell through their LE allocation. All 1,000 units have been allocated by CGC to dealers. Special Edition and Classic Edition orders are growing every day, but the priority on these models will not be focused until most of the LE’s have been shipped. We will be producing AFMR until the end of February of 2018. Our plan is to have Pin 3 start down the line in early March, with a launch date at the TPF 2018.
On occasion, I check in to Pinside and see so many of you are enjoying your games. We know some of you are impatiently waiting and we look forward to shipping your games as well.
Best regards.
Doug Skor

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

In the CGC Production thread Doug has posted that CGC will reveal their next game at TPF in March.

Doh, I guess we'll have to keep speculating for a while then. Of course this is a very reasonable way for CGC to handle their business, carrying out the plan of announcing their next machine only when they're ready (or just about ready) to swing into production. Avoids cannibalizing sales of their current games, and avoids upset expectations when development and production deadlines inevitably slip.

Plus it gives us several more months to speculate with no direct evidence on the renewability of twenty-five year old IP licenses.

2 weeks later
#145 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah I've seen the video and read the related threads (if you haven't you should, there are interesting comments in there from people that actually do work on these types of boards professionally). Just not sure how speculation about future availability equates to a "HUO nightmare."
EDIT: Here's the post I was thinking of:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-sterns-node-boards-repairable#post-3783551
I take this to mean that professional board repair community should still be able to fix Stern node boards as needed down the line. I know there are those here that like to do their own board work, and the node boards will require either learning new skills (and buying new equipment), or hiring others to do repairs. But for those like me that would be sending our boards out for service anyway, it really doesn't sound like there will be a difference. So long as they are still readily repairable, I'm satisfied.

Perhaps you should go back and actually read these posts this time around! I take it you don’t do board work. If you think diagnosing and repairing smd node boards is doable for most diy pinheads you truly have no clue. And what do you not get about future availability being a problem if said boards can’t be repaired?

#146 6 years ago

Perhaps you should go back and actually read these posts this time around! I take it you don’t do board work. If you think diagnosing and repairing smd node boards is doable for most diy pinheads you truly have no clue. And what do you not get about future availability being a problem if said boards can’t be repaired?

Did you read my post? I'll cut and paste it to give you another shot, with emphasis added this time:

Quoted from fosaisu:

#147 6 years ago

A much bigger issue will be if we see an issue like the unobtanium chips in the WPC95 A/V boards, which just flat out don't exist any more. So if you can solder but don't have the necessary chip, repair skills mean nothing.

The good news, at least for the A/V boards, is now we have the PinSound solution..: but that took what, 20 years!

#148 6 years ago

Listen to me now and believe me later.....but I believe MB will happen.

John

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Does anybody under 40 today really care about the Universal Monsters?
No - not really.

Well sort of, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf man, etc are pretty timeless. So relevant today

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Listen to me now and believe me later.....but I believe MB will happen.
John

Can I just believe you now?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-chicago-gaming-will-make-monster-bash/page/3?hl=noahd42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.