(Topic ID: 230765)

Do you take your games to pinball shows?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1098 (resized).JPG
IMG_1093 (resized).JPG
IMG_1095 (resized).JPG
F265E85A-A38A-41C1-BDC2-4C5532604880 (resized).jpeg
5A259FE6-CED7-41AA-989D-699E7B82EE29 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20181209_155216642 (resized).jpg
79EDD2B1-0F69-464F-AB95-CD85D5068C02 (resized).jpeg
43CC2905-19A8-45D3-B92E-0D1B9CD7056C (resized).jpeg
617BF3B1-9AE3-4C41-AF9E-CD10B180C454 (resized).jpeg
6308E7C2-CFF3-40D4-8F49-B06AE4DF6278 (resized).png
664E6692-89EE-40B2-848E-92E74AFFCD05 (resized).jpeg
90BF2344-7B57-4AF0-B175-7E2520E19338 (resized).jpeg
66005578-8C38-4026-908A-F210068401CF (resized).jpeg
1C129DCD-E34C-4545-9A91-5369DB32299A (resized).jpeg
E05D5642-7824-4782-81DA-BBEF6D40142A (resized).jpeg
F38E23FF-8C67-49BB-9AB5-8FDEB0296ACA (resized).jpeg
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Pintastic New England wants you to bring games; it's a big show where the whole pinball community of the Northeastern USA and Eastern Canada celebrates and enjoys pinball. Game-bringers get a lot more than just free admission. The 2018 incentives are described here:
https://pintasticnewengland.com/game-registration-2018/
Watch for more improvements in 2019!

Now let's get to some of those questions.
Q: Is my machine going to be "beat to crap" at an event like this?
A: That's highly unlikely, with so many members of the pinball community around. Furthermore, Pintastic has a Tech Team, supported by a state-of-the-art trouble ticket system. Any player can report a technical issue, and the Tech Team will do standard "on location" repairs. The game owner is contacted only for more complex work. There ARE parts vendors in our vendor hall.
Q: Are most of the machines older machines, or are there a fair share of "nicer" machines?
A: Pintastic has a good mix, including games that are both old and nice. There are bonus points for games that are rarer, in demand, associated with our special guests, etc.
Q: Could I put up a for sale/for trade sign up on my machine?
A: You can. Pintastic has special features in the game registration system that will publicize the fact of the game being for sale (and your asking price, if specified) before the show on our website, as well as at the show on the game card.

Thanks to all the Pinsiders who bring games to Pintastic New England and other shows!
.................David Marston

#52 5 years ago

Would love to bring a game to a show. Don’t really care about the free pass but would want to get the machine out before the last day of the show.

#53 5 years ago

At pinfest (Allentown) you can remove your game at the end of of the day Friday, first thing Saturday morning or the end of the show on Saturday without penalty. A 2 day commitment is not needed.

#54 5 years ago

The short answer is yes.
I bring a variety of things to ZapCon which is our local show here in Phoenix.
Anything from Pins, Arcade games EM games etc.
I normally bring around a dozen or so games.

Personally I think it important to support the hobby on this sort of level.
I go there and play other peoples machines and its only fair.
Most of the local collectors that I know participate in bringing machines on some level as well.
We would not have conventions like this if people did not do this.

#55 5 years ago

Yep. I normally rent a U-Haul with fish1975tx and we max it out at 12 games to the local Houston Arcade Expo. This year I brought 6 games....Stern Indy, Bally Hotdoggin, LAH, BK2K, Junkyard, and Rocky and Bullwinkle. I even managed to talk my friend, jawjaw into bringing my BSD that he was pinsitting at the time.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I set a rule for myself 5 years ago when I started Pintastic. I will always be the one who brings the most games to my show. Last year I brought 21 games. In 2019 it will be more!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What about year one when I brought a 27’ uhaul with 27 games for the two tournament banks and a handful of freeplay room games?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Would love to bring a game to a show. Don’t really care about the free pass but would want to get the machine out before the last day of the show.

At the Golden State Pinball Festival we have a lot of guests from up and down the coast. We make arrangements with them to allow their machines to leave first thing Sunday morning. It's the games taking off at 2pm we want to avoid

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh so that was Gryszz's game that was annoyingly loud huh? That explains everything i guess.

Well Nancy next time say somethin. I asked around all the time. Errybody kept sayin turn it up!

#59 5 years ago

I am definitely not a veteran at bringing games to shows but my willingness to take games is in direct proportion to how confident I feel that people at the show will help look out for my game(s). For Pincinnati I knew there would be so many great pinheads around, most of whom would be ready to kick someone directly out the door for being a dick to my games even if I wasn't there at the time, that I was willing to bring my games. I do think it helped to have the rules card on the games but if I didn't have a good level of confidence in the attendees not being assholes and / or more people than myself helping keep an eye out for everyone's games I'm not sure I'd bring anything more than a beater or two. At both Pincinnati and the Louisville shows I've taken games to the experience has been fine and rather rewarding.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I’ve brought games games to TPF every year I have attended. I find it rewarding to share and the incentives are generous.

Me too. I brought these to TPF 2015, both won awards. It's a long haul from Nebraska, but worth it IMO.

IMG_6283 (resized).JPGIMG_6283 (resized).JPG
#61 5 years ago

No,I don't! My Pins are mostly modded out,and wouldn't take the pounding they take at shows! I work security at the GSPF and watch for mishandling of pins,and I see too much

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

keep an eye on it. is it worth getting in free? not really, but its a nice incentive.
some people abuse, some don't. some people set stuff (drinks, phones, purses, coats) on your game glass, lean stuff against it, etc. things can happen. I've had guys who are setting up games next to mine place pinball legs, coin boxes, tools on my games glass next to theirs.
it happens. Also, lean their games glass against my games cabinet. basically not respectful at all.
id never bring an expensive pin. to much risk.
i don't mind bringing em to use in tournaments as they are watched the entire time.

Jeez you must hate life... seems like everything puts you on edge

It’s only a pinball machine

#63 5 years ago

Bring as many games as your can! It’s a huge way to keep this hobby alive and very rewarding!

Slapping and shaking your pins won’t cause any harm unless you have an underlying issue. Some people have no concept on what’s their “collector gems” have been through during the 90s

#64 5 years ago

Going to the Louisville Arcade Expo around 8 years ago is what got me started collecting.

I bring games every year to inflict the same punishment on unsuspecting attendees.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

No,I don't! My Pins are mostly modded out,and wouldn't take the pounding they take at shows!

If your pins cant take being played they are useless. If the mods are causing this problem they are beyond useless.

#66 5 years ago

I take a game or 2 to Pinball at the Zoo in Kalamazoo, MI every year. I have had varying degrees of success in keeping it running, mostly due to previously unknown issues. The last 2 years, it has stayed working all weekend. In fact last year, I won an award for best 70's S/S game (Joker Poker). I also usually take my Pac cocktail. Always gets played.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

No,I don't! My Pins are mostly modded out,and wouldn't take the pounding they take at shows! I work security at the GSPF and watch for mishandling of pins,and I see too much

You are great security though and we are lucky to have you.

#68 5 years ago

I will admit, I've seen some people treat machines horribly at shows, even pinheads. At Expo, I watched a guy trying to dislodge a stuck ball by lifting up the front of the machine six inches and slamming it down.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I will admit, I've seen some people treat machines horribly at shows, even pinheads. At Expo, I watched a guy trying to dislodge a stuck ball by lifting up the front of the machine six inches and slamming it down.

Was it Pacak? I've seen him do that.

#70 5 years ago

Getting machines in and out of my basement is a massive headache (narrow, steep staircase), so I try to do it only when absolutely necessary. Since I wanted to be able to bring machines to shows, I went out and bought a couple of pre-war games-- they are smaller and lighter so I can move and transport them more easily, and they aren't commonly seen titles, so they tend to be pretty popular.

#71 5 years ago

I've been to three show and was only able to bring games once. I really do like to support the shows by bringing games, however I typically don't (can't) stay for the entire show. My ideal show is a Friday evening and Saturday until early afternoon. I'm then able to travel back home late on Saturday, and still have a day to relax and get stuff done around the house.

PS: I'm really torn on MGC this year. My favorite time to play is the After Hours Party, but you can't attend without bringing a machine. Ideally, I'd like to come down on Saturday (noon-ish) to Sunday (noon-ish). If we can make that work, I'd bring a game, but I totally understand it's difficult to deal with special requests like that when running a big show. I just can't commit to staying two nights, nor staying late on Sunday.

#72 5 years ago

I always take games to shows! It's a whole 'nother experience, and it makes the show so much more fun.
Don't be a baby! Pinball was meant to be shared. Go for it! You won't regret it.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well Nancy next time say somethin. I asked around all the time. Errybody kept sayin turn it up!

Not a big deal, i just moved on. I guess all that shitty metal music that you listen to turned up wide open has probably damaged your hearing and you didn’t know any better.

#74 5 years ago

I am not opposed to bringing games, but I just can't bring myself to being married to the venue for a whole weekend. There are too many people there that seemingly haven't showered since the show the year before.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've been to three show and was only able to bring games once. I really do like to support the shows by bringing games, however I typically don't (can't) stay for the entire show. My ideal show is a Friday evening and Saturday until early afternoon. I'm then able to travel back home late on Saturday, and still have a day to relax and get stuff done around the house.
PS: I'm really torn on MGC this year. My favorite time to play is the After Hours Party, but you can't attend without bringing a machine. Ideally, I'd like to come down on Saturday (noon-ish) to Sunday (noon-ish). If we can make that work, I'd bring a game, but I totally understand it's difficult to deal with special requests like that when running a big show. I just can't commit to staying two nights, nor staying late on Sunday.

Stinks for your schedule, but the perk of the after party is in place w the constraints for good reason.

I hope u can figure out a way to adjust your schedule and make it work. Best after party any where and well worth the effort!

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am not opposed to bringing games, but I just can't bring myself to being married to the venue for a whole weekend. There are too many people there that seemingly haven't showered since the show the year before.

I always hear about how bad people stink and stuff at these pinball shows and was wondering if i was going to encounter any of that when i went to Pincinnati but everyone seemed pretty clean and nice. I didnt even get crop dusted one time that im aware of? Us Ohioans must be some really classy people i guess.

#77 5 years ago

Exhibitors are awesome! Pinball shows can’t happen without them. Support your local (or even not so local) pinball show. Check out this awesome video TPF Exhibitor Cary Hardy made for us:

#78 5 years ago

I brought games to shows for many years, Usually with for sale signs on
them. Had a couple bad experiences with disrespectful folks and
won't go to the hassle anymore.

On one occasion I brought out a really nice Sinbad. A group of guys
decided they would hold their own tournament on this game and
monopolized it for *hours*. No one else got to play it and it was a
pin I really wanted to sell. Finally just turned it off.
Steve

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

I always take games to shows! It's a whole 'nother experience, and it makes the show so much more fun.
Don't be a baby! Pinball was meant to be shared. Go for it! You won't regret it.

Yes you do! Do you even have a show within 4 hours of you?

#80 5 years ago

I usually take games to the Denver show but Realistically it just isn’t worth it anymore. You have to take 2 games for a single pass and disappointing goodie bag. I’ve taken /at least 4 games the last few years and it’s just not worth it anymore.

I will however take a few games to TPF2019.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Stinks for your schedule, but the perk of the after party is in place w the constraints for good reason.
I hope u can figure out a way to adjust your schedule and make it work. Best after party any where and well worth the effort!

Agreed. Unfortunately, I don't see the schedule changing this year, so I'll either work it out and pay the penalties for late arrival / early removals, assist friends who bring multiple games, or just party at Up/Down after hours.

EDIT: Another thought, I could bribe a friend into bringing, setting up, and watching my game with there games. That way my game would be there the entire show even if I can't be there.

#82 5 years ago

I always try to take games to shows, even my nicer games. Vamp & BSD made the trek to both Pinfest and York this year. Like everybody else said, you just have to keep an eye on them once in a while. The right flip came loose on my Vampire at York, and people kept playing it. That was slightly annoying, but a patron was aware enough to call me (always put your number on the card).

I came back around, shut the game off, fixed it and put the glass back down so people could resume enjoying it.

Mine was the only BSD at York, and got a shit ton of plays.

And if anybody wants to know what Hilton looks like so they can smack him next time, that’s him in the green t-shirt next to me at Pinfest.

E05D5642-7824-4782-81DA-BBEF6D40142A (resized).jpegE05D5642-7824-4782-81DA-BBEF6D40142A (resized).jpeg9B012679-1262-41F3-81EC-047F20BDD185 (resized).jpeg9B012679-1262-41F3-81EC-047F20BDD185 (resized).jpeg1C129DCD-E34C-4545-9A91-5369DB32299A (resized).jpeg1C129DCD-E34C-4545-9A91-5369DB32299A (resized).jpegF38E23FF-8C67-49BB-9AB5-8FDEB0296ACA (resized).jpegF38E23FF-8C67-49BB-9AB5-8FDEB0296ACA (resized).jpeg
#83 5 years ago

If you take your game, I would suggest is printing your number in big letters on a custom instruction card. That way if something happens people can call you.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And if anybody wants to know what Hilton looks like so they can smack him next time, that’s him in the green t-shirt next to me at Pinfest.

Smack away. My brother larry (in the white shirt) will be happy to lendme a hand.

#85 5 years ago

Colson, u comin to MgC this year?

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I always hear about how bad people stink and stuff at these pinball shows and was wondering if i was going to encounter any of that when i went to Pincinnati but everyone seemed pretty clean and nice. I didnt even get crop dusted one time that im aware of? Us Ohioans must be some really classy people i guess.

Ha ha come to Louisville expo. I'll be holding a can febreze instead of a beer.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Colson, u comin to MgC this year?

Aiming to come out, not 100% sure if I can yet. It’s on the calendar.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Aiming to come out, not 100% sure if I can yet. It’s on the calendar.

Awesome! Hope u can come! If you want to bring a game and leave it here... u know what one i want

Bring it as your show game so you can do the after party. Ill take it home

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not a big deal, i just moved on. I guess all that shitty metal music that you listen to turned up wide open has probably damaged your hearing and you didn’t know any better.

We'll Scoob, we don't need the whole gang to solve this caper. Another case of "Pinside Pussification".
I have quite a few pinball pals in Cincy/OH, so I'm not hard to find, or spot. Addressing your concern/problem/hangnail face-to-face is SO UNPINSIDE LIKE! That's just crazy talk!
The correct thing to do is:
wait 3 days then...
--post pics of the guy walkin away
AND/OR
--talk big shit on the interwebs like most certified badasses.
Ok seriously....all you had to do was ask me to turn it down AND I WOULD'VE.
Save yer big dick swingin for Christian Mingles or yer Fox News Forum. Don't talk down to me mf. Esp when you had the chance in person.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Save yer big dick swingin for Christian Mingles or yer Fox News Forum. Don't talk down to me mf. Esp when you had the chance in person.

Oh shit!! .... Fade in The Small Hours from Garage Days....

90BF2344-7B57-4AF0-B175-7E2520E19338 (resized).jpeg90BF2344-7B57-4AF0-B175-7E2520E19338 (resized).jpeg66005578-8C38-4026-908A-F210068401CF (resized).jpeg66005578-8C38-4026-908A-F210068401CF (resized).jpeg

#91 5 years ago

Pinbum I'm surprised you had time to downvote me isn't Thurs night yer turn to be in the middle of the circle? Best night of the week AMIRITE?

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

We'll Scoob, we don't need the whole gang to solve this caper. Another case of "Pinside Pussification".
I have quite a few pinball pals in Cincy/OH, so I'm not hard to find, or spot. Addressing your concern/problem/hangnail face-to-face is SO UNPINSIDE LIKE! That's just crazy talk!
The correct thing to do is:
wait 3 days then...
--post pics of the guy walkin away
AND/OR
--talk big shit on the interwebs like most certified badasses.
Ok seriously....all you had to do was ask me to turn it down AND I WOULD'VE.

Gryszz i had no idea that it was even your game and furthermore i don't even care. I just said that it figures that it was your game that was cranked up. We all know that your the toughest guy on pinside but seriously you can take your tough guy act somwhere else because you don't scare me at all dude. Grow up!

#93 5 years ago

Not tryin to be a "tough guy". Internet is not for that. All I'm saying is if you got some bullshit to say to me, say it in person. Not 3 days later on Pinside. So fuck off jizzjuggler.

#94 5 years ago

You talk a lot of shit , but unlike most i would slap the taste out of mouth. Like i told you before put down the meth pipe or whatever else your on, because your tough guy shit means nothing to me.

#95 5 years ago

How does any of this help a guy bring a game to a show?

Back on topic. Report back after the show and let us know how it went. Interested to hear how your experience was!

#96 5 years ago

Haha. You're gonna "slap the taste outta my mouth" but IM THE TOUGH GUY?! LOL.
Let's hold hands Pinbum and sing Christmas songs.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not tryin to be a "tough guy". Internet is not for that. All I'm saying is if you got some bullshit to say to me, say it in person. Not 3 days later on Pinside. So fuck off jizzjuggler.

Actually i dont have anything at all to say to you other than you need to grow up. Do you think i wanna fight you because you had your game turned up way too loud at a pinball show lol? You obviously got some serious issues Gryszz.

#98 5 years ago

NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FIGHTING FOR FUCKS SAKE.
All I said was if the volume was bothering you, you COULDVE ASKED ME TO TURN IT DOWN.
I WOULD HAVE.
You don't need to come here with the "annoying" and "shitty metal" and "must not kbow any better". Don't fuckin play dumb Terry. It's convincing, but I'm not buyin it.

#99 5 years ago

I spent all day burying a dear friend today, so I'm feelin extra salty. I liked you Terry, that's why I'm taking yer comments too personally.
Just not a good day.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I spent all day burying a dear friend today, so I'm feelin extra salty. I liked you Terry, so that's why I'm taking yer comments too personally.
Just not a good day.

Sorry to hear that dude...friend of mine passed yesterday also. Holiday season is always when that shit happens....or at least it makes it worse. Sorry for your loss.

Everyone should take it down a notch before mods step in, because this thread isn’t the place for that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-take-your-games-to-pinball-shows/page/2?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.