Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 197 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you smoke? Or have you quit?”

• Smoker 31 votes
      10%
    • Ex-smoker 150 votes
      50%
    • Never started. 120 votes
      40%

(301 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rf.gif
    Ron (resized).jpg
    7C0C5D71-5193-42CB-B943-606A947877AA (resized).jpeg
    smoking campaign (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.00.47 PM (resized).png
    chocoholic (resized).png
    FB238C16-0F6B-4C9C-8538-CF2809AA03DE (resized).png
    There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I had my last smoke Monday nite..I told myself that when this last pack is done, I’m done. I had 3 left in it, and told the old lady (who quit in March) to throw away. I went to the pharmacy on Monday night and signed up for the patch; it’s free here, and I’m determined to quit this nasty habit/addiction. Already, just being around smokers, they just smell bad..I’ve turned into ‘that guy ‘ I yet to have any alcohol or smoke a joint, but I will be strong and stay focused. There’s so many things/reasons why I need to abstain: my health, financial reasons, and I just want to be a better role model for my daughters..shit, with some $ saved, I’d love to get another pin, or an old car..sending positive thoughts to others that are going through what I am..and condolences to those who have lost loved ones with this addiction..

I wish you well with the patch. I tried those and they did not do it for me.

Sometimes I wonder if vapor sticks had not been invented if I would still be smoking.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Just hide the smokes, cause if they are within arms reach while drinking, I guarantee you'll be smoking long before you pass out.

Ha well yeah this is for when you've already thrown them out of the house and you're ready to commit.

1 month later
    #154 4 years ago

If anyone is interested,I can P.M you a pretty good method for quitting.No sense in posting it,if no one is interested.

#155 4 years ago

You are just some sales site selling shit. Now, everyone knows.

#156 4 years ago

My grandfather quit smoking when he was 43, he's now 91 and beat cancer twice, including lung cancer. He stopped by sticking a toothpick in his mouth instead of a cigarette. I quit 18 days ago using the same method, wish I would have done this year's ago. I started smoking when I was 15, I am now 39 and can honestly say I don't miss it at all.

#157 4 years ago

I quit over 20 years ago,and I still miss them. My mouth waters when I smell someone smoking a cigarette.
    What I don't miss is getting winded going up a flight of steps,or having a smokers cough all the time.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I quit over 20 years ago,and I still miss them. My mouth waters when I smell someone smoking a cigarette.
    What I don't miss is getting winded going up a flight of steps,or having a smokers cough all the time.

Wow I'm the exact opposite. Quit over 15 years ago and I hate the smell. Thankfully my wife finally quit a few years back so no more stinky kisses for me.

#159 4 years ago

I'm walking out of the pharmacy today picking up prescriptions for my FIL who smoked and is a lary. A guy driving buy asks me to check on that lady who looks passed out in her car. She was Ok, but on oxygen. Everything was nicotine stained. The car. The tubes going into her nose. Everything. Amazingly she could talk, but just barely.

My FIL? He has given up. He won't eat, though he can. He won't try to learn to talk. His wife can't get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time because she has to feed him through a stomach tube, which is now infected, every couple hours.

It is a shitty way to go out.

#160 4 years ago

I quit about 20 years ago. Smoked about a total of 15 years and decided before my second child was born I wanted to see him grow up. I didn't even smoke the last whole pack and threw them away. I was ornery as hell for 3 weeks but it was the best thing I ever did. The one thing I don't miss is getting up in the morning feeling good and then light one up and feel like shit. Also I feel stupid paying all that money to kill myself and that every where you go you have to have enough cigs to get you by and not run out. I can't believe I ever started.

#161 4 years ago

I quit about 6 years ago. Having become an avid hiker somewhere along my way through life, lighting up while hiking or once I reached a summit, smoking just wasn't working out.

Oh yeah....and dammm I feel a whole lot better!

2 weeks later
    #162 4 years ago

Hey fellas. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to talk about what is going on with the proposed flavored vaping ban.

Short version, Illicit THC/Vitamin E pods are killing people and the sledgehammer response from the US is to ban everything. Germany, UK, others have recognized in some cases 9 deaths of adolescents from THC infused products.
    This sucks. The other arguments
    adults don’t like flavor, save the kids, are just a cover up. It sucks. Smoking has dropped 29 percent and these products save lives. This is harm reduction. Not oxygen. But if people care, check out

http://www.casaa.org/news/trump-administrations-ban-on-flavored-e-cigarettes-does-more-harm/

I dont invest or own a shop. Just want to pass on fact

7C0C5D71-5193-42CB-B943-606A947877AA (resized).jpeg7C0C5D71-5193-42CB-B943-606A947877AA (resized).jpeg
    #163 4 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Hey fellas. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to talk about what is going on with the proposed flavored vaping ban.
    Short version, Illicit THC/Vitamin E pods are killing people and the sledgehammer response from the US is to ban everything. Germany, UK, others have recognized in some cases 9 deaths of adolescents from THC infused products.
    This sucks. The other arguments
    adults don’t like flavor, save the kids, are just a cover up. It sucks. Smoking has dropped 29 percent and these products save lives. This is harm reduction. Not oxygen. But if people care, check out
    http://www.casaa.org/news/trump-administrations-ban-on-flavored-e-cigarettes-does-more-harm/
    I dont invest or own a shop. Just want to pass on fact[quoted image]

There's another thread for vaping...probably why your post got the downvote...

#164 4 years ago

Well I was on the patch for 5-6 weeks, and went camping w the boys. We did some fishing, caught some trout, and did some drinking (no way) I forgot to replace my patch after the 2nd day, and I said to myself that I just don’t need this fn patch! I’m happy to say that I haven’t had a cigarette for 9+ weeks! And man I feel pretty good..I eat more and have gained a few pounds, but I’ll take that over the smelly clothes, yellowed teeth any day..

#165 4 years ago

As a basic health nut who eats right, am not overweight, don't drink fructose soda's, gets plenty of exercise, and stays active almost the entire time I'm awake, smoking would almost go against my better judgement and everything I'm about.

But I do it anyway. I can quit anytime as I have for years at a time and can stop on a dime, but now I am trying to convince myself it's just another healthy activity.

But tomorrow's another day, so I may just quit. Everyone stops smoking for good eventually.

#166 4 years ago

Massachusetts just ordered 4 month ban on sale of vaping products.

https://www.apnews.com/48359af03a034eacbb315971db005e58

#167 4 years ago

New Year’s Eve 1987. Just stopped. Wasn’t easy and I missed them for years but it was the best thing I ever did.
    I did it for me, my mum who incessantly nagged me (as mums do!) and for my future kids. Whom are now 26 and 28 and thank me for stopping even though they weren’t even a twinkle in Dads eye back then.

If your thinking about it just do it. And as others have said. Stay OFF he grog. Beer and cigarettes go hand in hand. Which is why the previous 2 NYE attempts failed. Good luck to all.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As a basic health nut who eats right, am not overweight, don't drink fructose soda's, gets plenty of exercise, and stays active almost the entire time I'm awake, smoking would almost go against my better judgement and everything I'm about.
    But I do it anyway. I can quit anytime as I have for years at a time and can stop on a dime, but now I am trying to convince myself it's just another healthy activity.
    But tomorrow's another day, so I may just quit. Everyone stops smoking for good eventually.

EVENTUALLY

#169 4 years ago

Smoking and vaping should be forbidden.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

How would you control that? Go back to the U.S. during the days of prohibition, study the history, and tell us how that worked out. Smoking marijuana is still mostly prohibited but the war on that substance was lost before it ever started. How would prohibiting smoking change anything? It has been prohibited for anyone less than 18 for years and years. I started smoking when I was 13.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending tobacco. But how would you forbid it?

In the U.S. vaping is just another revenue stream. The UK handles vaping a little differently. The UK considers vaping a smoking cessation tool. I can attest that vaping works as a stop-smoking tool.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/health/vaping-us-uk-e-cigarette-differences-intl/index.html

#171 4 years ago

Castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yes, this has worked so well with all other forms of prohibition in U.S. history. Great idea!

#173 4 years ago

I never smoked as a teen, but it was the 70s so I hung out with a lot of people that did. I would surf and run instead. It wasn't until the 80s and I was sometimes doing that weekend warrior thing, hanging out with friends and doing the other self destructive things of the time. But come Monday it was put all that away and get back to business.

In the 90s I took a job where everybody was puffing butts, so I joined in but quit shortly after my daughter was born. It wasn't until about 5 years ago, I found my self deep in this pinball hobby and with hanging around some others that did I took it up again. I mean a lot of older games have depictions of smoking on them, and some even have butt holders. Plus I love to get my Jack and Coke buzz on and it seems to go well with that.

Spring of this year, an old surf buddy came to stay with me. He still surfs, skateboards, snowboards, and helped me knock out quite a bit of work on my house when he was here. Including some much needed work to my roof.

This is Ron. He is almost 60 years old and smokes a pack of Pall Mall reds a day. So perhaps it is mind over matter?
    Ron (resized).jpgRon (resized).jpg

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

. He is almost 60 years old and smokes a pack of Pall Mall reds a day. So perhaps it is mind over matter?

No, smoking is actually bad for you.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:No, smoking is actually bad for you.

For him, it might be more like rocket fuel.

#176 4 years ago

My grandmother lived till she was 92 and smoked for about 70 years. So that's proof cigs are good for you!

I mean, she did end up dying of lung cancer but she had a hell of run. RIP Nana

Funny you mention Pall Malls, when I told her to quit she'd yell "YOUR MOTHER SMOKED PALL MALLS! NO FILTER!"

Yes, I guess my mom smoked them 50 years ago before quitting altogether well before me but thanks for the history lesson Nana. She certainly had no filter!

#177 4 years ago

Watched my Mother, a sister, and two Aunts suffer through Emphysema before passing from smoking and it is not something I want to experience ever again.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My grandmother lived till she was 92 and smoked for about 70 years. So that's proof cigs are good for you!

I mean, she did end up dying of lung cancer but she had a hell of run. RIP Nana

Mom is 97 as has spent her whole life being anti as any. She has had several body parts removed however, and lately has been losing her memory. She is in a senior facility where she fights them every step of the way. 1:00 AM last night I get a call she is trying to escape the place.

My old man dropped dead of a heart attack still with his wits about him and doing what he loved till the very end. Tough choices as to which way I'd rather go out.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For him, it might be more like rocket fuel.

rf.gifrf.gif
    #180 4 years ago

Someone recently told me if you smoke weed, it counteracts a lot of the bad things you get from smoking cigs. That seems like a logical analysis to me at this point.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is Ron. He is almost 60 years old and smokes a pack of Pall Mall reds a day. So perhaps it is mind over matter?

Sadly, no. It's statistics.

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Sadly, no. It's statistics.

Statistics also say it's better to lead an active life and stay fit, than be fat and or sedentary, no matter what you consume.

It's all about balance.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How would you control that? Go back to the U.S. during the days of prohibition, study the history, and tell us how that worked out. Smoking marijuana is still mostly prohibited but the war on that substance was lost before it ever started. How would prohibiting smoking change anything? It has been prohibited for anyone less than 18 for years and years. I started smoking when I was 13.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not defending tobacco. But how would you forbid it?
    In the U.S. vaping is just another revenue stream. The UK handles vaping a little differently. The UK considers vaping a smoking cessation tool. I can attest that vaping works as a stop-smoking tool.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/health/vaping-us-uk-e-cigarette-differences-intl/index.html

That"s the most stupid argument.
    Why shouldn't murdering be allowed aswell?
    Inability to enforce a law, shouldn't make it void.

#184 4 years ago

Stupid argument? Interesting.

Murder is not accepted in any society I have studied. Murder carries a punitive penalty in the countries I am familiar with. Either life in prison and the death penalty.

So, you want to forbid something. Doesn't matter what it is that you want to forbid. How are you going to control it. How are you going to police it. You can forbid something all you want but without some sort of punitive measure attached no one will pay attention to what you and what you just banned.

My question remains.

Without a law there is nothing to enforce. What law are you going to put on the books?

Beyond jumping up and down, pulling your hair out, and waving your hands in the air, how would you control the ban on smoking and vaping?

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Stupid argument? Interesting.
    Murder is not accepted in any society I have studied. Murder carries a punitive penalty in the countries I am familiar with. Either life in prison and the death penalty.

Then you haven´t studied many cultures. There are cultures today, totally ok with stoning people for adultry. Killing your offspring for falling in love with the wrong boy.
    There are also countries today, that has no problem with deathpenalty for minor drug infractions.
    you dont have to go back more then a fifty years or so and there were cultures ok with cannibalism.

What is ok, is a matter of cultural acceptance, and also what it evolves to. Unfortunately currently there is a slid in western culture that is more and more ok with things that are obviously harmful to society. Now it is cannabis, what comes next and where does that path end?

Quoted from cottonm4:

So, you want to forbid something. Doesn't matter what it is that you want to forbid. How are you going to control it. How are you going to police it. You can forbid something all you want but without some sort of punitive measure attached no one will pay attention to what you and what you just banned.

A trouble to enforce a law isn´t an arguement against it. How easy is it to enforce laws of adultry? Wife beating?
    So we should be ok with beating the wife, or the kid? There are lots of cultures that are ok with it, and it´s a well hidden crime and really difficult to enforce?
    Much more so then smoking.

Quoted from cottonm4:

My question remains.
    Without a law there is nothing to enforce. What law are you going to put on the books?
    Beyond jumping up and down, pulling your hair out, and waving your hands in the air, how would you control the ban on smoking and vaping?

I dont really see where you are going with this. Generally laws are made to inflict punishment on thoose hurting the society, or the people within.
    This can sometimes be tricky, since there are lots of activities that are a mix of hurtful and benefit.
    you may argue that driving a car for fun is hurtful to society and the environment, but it´s fun and instills a feeling of freedom for the person doing it.

That is for most a fairly easy one.

How about alcohol? Hurtful for sure, but many people enjoy aspects of it, and it´s an important part in cleaning, somewhat in cooking etc etc.
    In my own view alcohol is hanging on the ropes.

Smoking?
    My opinion is that there are very little redeeming qualities for smoking. It´s a niquitine fix for nervous people. It has zero real qualities going for it, and loads and loads against it.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Smoking marijuana is still mostly prohibited but the war on that substance was lost before it ever started.

A society that gives up on important battles, that are clearly harmful for the inhabitants of that society, is a lost society.

#187 4 years ago

Ok I'll bite. Been smoking since 14 since my older brother who was 15 at the time he gave me a marlboro light to smoke and 25 years later I'm still smoking. I really want to quit and I heard alot of successful stories with chantix. What I want to know is all these side effects you guys are mentioning. What are they?

#188 4 years ago

I quit about 5 weeks ago, cold turkey and the patch, worked, Im totally off the patch now, for me it always seems easy to quit, but even easier to
    start back up again, I was jones'n bad for on yesterday, but went for gum instead, Non smokers just don't realize the struggle we go through with these damn things, scared to shit of the vape , tried it and coughed like hell, whats in that shit!

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

I quit about 5 weeks ago, cold turkey and the patch, worked, Im totally off the patch now, for me it always seems easy to quit, but even easier to
    start back up again, I was jones'n bad for on yesterday, but went for gum instead, Non smokers just don't realize the struggle we go through with these damn things, scared to shit of the vape , tried it and coughed like hell, whats in that shit!

Good for you. Keep fighting. I realize it´s damned tough to kick the habit, but i can asure you that terminal copd and lungcancer is a thousand times worse.

Vape is just one more crap drug, with goodies such as formaldehyde etc.

Stay cold turkey. Stay healthy.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Ok I'll bite. Been smoking since 14 since my older brother who was 15 at the time he gave me a marlboro light to smoke and 25 years later I'm still smoking. I really want to quit and I heard alot of successful stories with chantix. What I want to know is all these side effects you guys are mentioning. What are they?

My buddy tried chantix recently. He became very moody and couldn't sleep. Said he was almost hallucinating with very messed up dreams. Quit it within a week, back on the patch. Hasn't had a butt in a month.

#191 4 years ago

Growing up my mom was a big smoker but always told me how much she wanted to quit. My sister and I would hide her packs of cigarettes etc.
    I started smoking at 16 when I was a busser at a restaurant. It was really the only way to get a break and a way to just shoot the shit and vent with others. From there it was smoking at concerts and at the skate park. I would smoke at work and on my way home but always hid it from my parents. When I hit college I became a pack a day smoker(if not more at times) and would smoke every chance I was given. My Junior year I met my now wife, and she was ok with my habit at first but then made a comment one day that I reeked of cigarettes. That one comment was all I needed to quit cold turkey. It's almost been ten years now since I had last bought a pack, and now just the smell of others smoking makes me feel ill. Strangely, there are times when I watch an older moving with smoking in it that I get a strange urge to smoke. I think its more of a symbol of my youth and rebellion but who knows.

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I have a few friends that used Chantix - they both mentioned crazy dreams.....

#193 4 years ago

I used to quit often. It's been over 15 years now since my last smoke , and I fight it daily. That said, e-cigarettes are what did it for me. I got the nicotine I needed, and had no fun smoking... so it allowed me to quit by weening off the nicotine and thinking of how unfun it was.

Good luck to all quitting or thinking of quitting - I've personally been much healthier since... still nervous as #$%^@ and I miss having 'breaks', but I've got people who need me, so I'll live (hopefully) without for now

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

I have a few friends that used Chantix - they both mentioned crazy dreams.....

When I used the patch those were the knock out craziest dreams I ever had. I used to double them up and take sleeping pills it was so intense.

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

When I used the patch those were the knock out craziest dreams I ever had.

I did the patch long ago, and I loved all those vivid dreams. I wanted to just stay on the patch, but they caused my blood pressure to go to like 240/140 after a while and I had to just go back to my old ways to be normal again.

Nicotine is way more addictive than anything.

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

When I used the patch those were the knock out craziest dreams I ever had. I used to double them up and take sleeping pills it was so intense.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I did the patch long ago, and I loved all those vivid dreams. I wanted to just stay on the patch, but they caused my blood pressure to go to like 240/140 after a while and I had to just go back to my old ways to be normal again.
    Nicotine is way more addictive than anything.

The patch did nothing for me. No dreams. No nothing. When I forgot I was wearing the patch and was still lighting up, the patch went away.

6 months later
    #197 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I quit a nasty habit for good with Chantix... if you decide to do it... go the conservative route where you can still smoke while you're on the drug... I did that successfully and had NO SIDE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER... I'm 3+ years smoke free.

My sister quit 6 months prior (she had been a smoker for 30+ years). The drug was a success for her as well, but she did complain of some very colorful dreams.

I highly recommend the drug; tried the patch, nicotine gum, and cold turkey, these just didn't work for me.

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-smoke-or-have-you-quit/page/4?hl=munsters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.