(Topic ID: 243747)

Do you ship pins?

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you ship pins ”

• Yes 51 votes
      59%
    • No 35 votes
      41%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Usingers (resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

I’m somewhat reluctant to ship my pins, but realize that’s limiting my area.

Wanted to know if you guys are comfortable shipping and what steps are required to ensure you don’t get scammed (reversed money from the bank etc..)

#2 4 years ago

Used too but it always turned into too much of a hassle and the last two I had shipped were a total disaster. One got busted up and the other was lost and once it was found I ended up just going to get it myself even though I had already paid NAVL to ship it, with no refund of course........
    After that I said never again will I ship another game, it's just not worth the headaches.

John

#3 4 years ago

I have before,but I’d prefer not to. I like someone to come see and play the pin in person.

#4 4 years ago

I've shipped dozens of machines almost all with NAVL and never had a problem.

#5 4 years ago

Rather sell a little cheaper local then ship

#6 4 years ago

Generally no but did with the Pinball Company they made it super easy. Just bring game up to entry. Normally I want buyer to play and inspect and if good cash payment.

I have also held games for out of state buyer for a reasonable time. I haven't accepted deposit because if game doesn't meet new buyer's standards I would refund it anyway. That being said marketplace is large here and I don't rotate my games much.

#8 4 years ago

I have used NAVL/STI numerous times. Fastenal a few years back. All smooth.

#9 4 years ago

I've shipped once before, and just shipped my WOZ. Also getting an aerosmith that was shipped from another pinsider next week. If you can't verify the seller/buyer is good via forum feedback and references, I would use escrow.com. Protection for both buyer and seller, and the fees are very reasonable.

#10 4 years ago

Personally I won't ship. If the buyer drives a distance I send them home with Wisconsin beer, brats or cheese.

I have three games listed in the marketplace right now. I'd like to sell at least one. Somebody make's a trip they go home with extras.
    I'd send you home with Usingers Brats and Weiners. Just stocked up recently. I can share some of my bounty.

Machine - For Sale
    Wheel of Fortune Archived
    HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) - “HUO - Wheel of Fortune. Excellent Condition and Low plays. Nicest WOF I have seen. $4200 cash and carry. Will not ship. No Trades. I need space ! REDUCED $4100 Cash will buy it. ...”
    2019-05-20
    Grafton, WI
    Archived after: 6 days
    Viewed: 188 times
    Machine - For Sale
    Straight Shooter Archived
    Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Straight Shooter. Plays great. Shay Repro Backglass. New playfield plastics. New Backglass and plastics are about Five hundred dollars in upgrades alone... Nice playfield and soli...”
    2019-05-22
    Grafton, WI
    900 (OBO)
    Archived after: 7 days
    Viewed: 142 times

Usingers (resized).JPGUsingers (resized).JPG

#11 4 years ago

I agree with in person inspection . Cash on the glass!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Personally I won't ship. If the buyer drives a distance I send them home with Wisconsin beer, brats or cheese.
    I have three games listed in the marketplace right now. I'd like to sell at least one. Somebody make's a trip they go home with extras.
    I'd send you home with Usingers Brats and Weiners. Just stocked up recently. I can share some of my bounty.

Machine - For Sale

Rob Zombie's Spookshow International

HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) “Rob Zombie - HUO
    V23 software. Plays excellent, no issues. 250 plays.

Out of room and need space. Full up at home.
    Game is located at my son's apartment in Greenfield, WI. He has...”

5 days ago

Grafton, WI

4,800 (OBO)

NoQuarters

Machine - For Sale

Wheel of Fortune

HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) “HUO - Wheel of Fortune. Excellent Condition and Low plays. Nicest WOF I have seen.

$4200 cash and carry. Will not ship. No Trades. I need space !
    REDUCED $4100 Cash will buy it.
    ...”

4 days ago

Grafton, WI

NoQuarters

Machine - For Sale

Straight Shooter

Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean “Straight Shooter. Plays great. Shay Repro Backglass. New playfield plastics. New Backglass and plastics are about Five hundred dollars in upgrades alone...

Nice playfield and soli...”

2 days ago

Grafton, WI

900 (OBO)

NoQuarters

[quoted image]

Now that’s a reason to go! Beer and brats!

#13 4 years ago

I have shipped a bunch of games. Never had an issue. I typically offer things local for a few days or a week and then open it up to shipping. I’ve “met” a ton of people that I now consider friends just from shipping them games.

#14 4 years ago

I’ve shipped two pins in the past, but was able to verify the buyers reputations were solid in advance. Because they can’t see and inspect the game in person, i take videos of gameplay and with glass off so i can activate all the switches and modes to show it was 100% before packing it up. Both transactions went smooth. But the key is it is up to both parties to due their due dilligence.

#15 4 years ago

Sell your game of thrones or metallica to me :p

On that note - someone buy his machines, super nice guy, nice seller, and takes care of his pins.

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Machine - For Sale

Rob Zombie's Spookshow International

HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) “Rob Zombie - HUO
    V23 software. Plays excellent, no issues. 250 plays.

Out of room and need space. Full up at home.
    Game is located at my son's apartment in Greenfield, WI. He has...”

5 days ago

Grafton, WI

4,800 (OBO)

NoQuarters

Machine - For Sale

Wheel of Fortune

HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) “HUO - Wheel of Fortune. Excellent Condition and Low plays. Nicest WOF I have seen.

$4200 cash and carry. Will not ship. No Trades. I need space !
    REDUCED $4100 Cash will buy it.
    ...”

4 days ago

Grafton, WI

NoQuarters

Machine - For Sale

Straight Shooter

Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean “Straight Shooter. Plays great. Shay Repro Backglass. New playfield plastics. New Backglass and plastics are about Five hundred dollars in upgrades alone...

Nice playfield and soli...”

2 days ago

Grafton, WI

900 (OBO)

NoQuarters

[quoted image]

#16 4 years ago

I can only answer from the buyers perspective, but I have purchased 1 pin and 3 video games that have been shipped all via STI. I have had all good experiences and the games have arrived in good shape. In all cases these were less common/rare games that I couldn’t find locally. I have driven up to 8 hours each way to get a pin/arcade.

The pin I just got earlier this week, a 1950 Gottlieb Knock Out was 2,0000 miles away. Much too far to drive. I appreciate those that are willing to ship and I certainly understand the concerns with those who don’t or are reluctant. If you are open to the idea, I think it all comes down to a little research regarding the buyer or seller and trusting your gut.

#17 4 years ago

I used to until almost year ago to the day. Bought a JM in AZ. Took from almost Memorial Day weekend to mid July to receive it. I think originally the delivery date was 09 June. I ended up receiving it around 15 July.

Now, if a pin is shipped, it is with a distributor like GEX. They do enough business with shipping companies that it seems like their games make it to destinations on time.

#18 4 years ago

in the uk we have a guy called Martin, if you want a pin shipped you call Martin!

#19 4 years ago

I'd prefer not to ship, but I have on a handful of games. Not a big deal. The worst part is have to take off work to meet the truck at my house in a "four hour window".

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I'd prefer not to ship, but I have on a handful of games. Not a big deal. The worst part is have to take off work to meet the truck at my house in a "four hour window".

O'yeah that reminds me. Another time NALVL brought the game to my work, and even backed there truck into the dock. I have no idea how they got my work address when it was supposed to come to my house. I yelled at the driver to get that truck out of the dock and into the yard. Of course we had to unload half the truck to even get to my game and load it into my truck since I didn't want them to handle it any longer as it's already bounced from California to here.

I guess I just don't have any luck when it comes to shipping anything.

John

#21 4 years ago

shipped with sti 3x every time was nothing but a headache, late to pick up by 2 days, late to deliver by a day... showed up to pick up, truck lift broke down. very flakey company.

#22 4 years ago

I’ve had STI forklift through a Tron LE.
    I’ve had a less than perfectly described Funhouse that I wrote off.
    As a buyer it’s now either NIB or cash on the glass.

Selling: Cash on the glass is preferred.
    Or escrow.com, unless I’ve had prior experience with the buyer.
    I encourage remote buyers to FaceTime or Skype before driving or shipping.

For shipping in California, we have a local guy, Chris Fox, who takes fantastic care packing and moving games.

#23 4 years ago

Shipping is easy but ads significant cost of course , NAVL gets the job done , not always smooth with their subcontractors but get it done nevertheless

Make sure you buy from trusted source
    And look for obvious scam tricks

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I've shipped dozens of machines almost all with NAVL and never had a problem.

ditto (with NAVL), except they bent a leg one time. It was a leg I was gonna replace anyway, so no loss.
    Was a little hesitant when I saw them shipping the game on the legs, but soon realized that taking the forklift out the equation was probably a smart move. Every damaged freight I've ever had involved a forklift hitting the item.

#25 4 years ago

I ship games all the time, for myself or others.
    For mine, paid for before they leave.
    Usually email money transfers, bank to bank. no issues.

#26 4 years ago

Of course buying or selling games locally using "cash on the glass" is preferable. The problem is, of course, many games -- especially those in "collector's" condition -- aren't always available for local sale/pickup. So as a buyer, you have two choices: either wait until one IS available locally or buy/ship. My own philosophy is to only ship when a truly exceptional game is involved -- it makes little sense to buy a $1200 game from someone and then spend $600 shipping it in my opinion. If you advertise your game on Pinside, it is being viewed by a global audience. You've widened your net and will mainly get offers from people where shipping will be required. You can always stick to CL or FB Marketplace for local only sales.

I've personally used STI/NAVL three times for pins -- twice as a buyer and once as a seller. I've been very happy with the results. Also, if you are the seller and the buyer wires the money directly to your bank account -- as you should insist on -- (and you allow it to clear) where is your risk? Again, in all three of my transactions that has been the case -- either I or the buyer directly wired the money. Escrow would be indicated only if the BUYER didn't trust YOU. You get the money well before he gets your pin. The only risk is on his part -- not yours. Again, reputations matter here and the two parties I've purchased pins from through Pinside were both well known Pinsiders and I felt comfortable wiring money. Had I not, I would have insisted on using an escrow service.

Also, the buyer arranges and pays for shipping with all of it's attendant risks -- all contingent on your schedule/availability. I personally oversaw the packaging of the last pin I sold and shipped, but STI also assists with this as well. Shipping is insured (again, arranged for by the buyer) so the buyer does get compensated (albeit not completely) should something catastrophic happen during transport. But the bottom line is, shipping incurs risk and every BUYER should know this.

My advice is that if you are selling a "high end" pin (like a Star Trek LE, for example you should be prepared to ship it -- preferring local sales of course, but understanding that it's perfectly fine to ship to the right buyer (like the one offering full price and wired money).

Just my 2 cents.

#27 4 years ago

Had one shipped once and the stress and anxiety was too much for me. Better just to pick it up. I've even done two parking lot trades where we met halfway.

#28 4 years ago

I had one pin shipped to me. it went smoothly, the seller did all the work put in the original box even and insured it for more than it was worth. When I sent the wire from my bank the bank manager was asking me if I was sure about this because it was irrecoverable once it was sent, the money was in the sellers hands.

#29 4 years ago

I hold out for a local sale for a while. Its the easiest transaction for both parties. I will eventually ship if I can’t find someone local in a month or 2 though.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Had one shipped once and the stress and anxiety was too much for me. Better just to pick it up. I've even done two parking lot trades where we met halfway.

Isn’t that how people disappear ?!
    “ parking lot trades “

Safer to ship

#31 4 years ago

For me, it's too much of a risk & hassle to ship.

Quoted from John_I:

The worst part is have to take off work to meet the truck at my house in a "four hour window".

Yup, not worth it to me.

I do most of my selling at shows, but sometimes someone will do a pick-up.

#32 4 years ago

as long as its packed and palleted very well and with an actual freight shipper. use ratchet straps, not band straps. make sure pallet large enough.
    no game overhanging the edges.
    freight shippers can ship anywhere in the USA from 1-6 days max coast to coast. You get tracking, you get insurance, its all good.
    id rather ship than deal with most people in person but that's me.
    id also rather have a game shipped to me than drive to get it as well.
    No time or desire and time plus gas, mileage costs more than just having it shipped if you have a freight account.

#33 4 years ago

Shipping rocks!

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

you get insurance, its all good.

Most shipping company's wont insure USED games, or they say they do but if something happens they offer you salvage rate ( couple dollars per pound)

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheJerol:

Of course buying or selling games locally using "cash on the glass" is preferable. The problem is, of course, many games -- especially those in "collector's" condition -- aren't always available for local sale/pickup. So as a buyer, you have two choices: either wait until one IS available locally or buy/ship. My own philosophy is to only ship when a truly exceptional game is involved -- it makes little sense to buy a $1200 game from someone and then spend $600 shipping it in my opinion. If you advertise your game on Pinside, it is being viewed by a global audience. You've widened your net and will mainly get offers from people where shipping will be required. You can always stick to CL or FB Marketplace for local only sales.
    I've personally used STI/NAVL three times for pins -- twice as a buyer and once as a seller. I've been very happy with the results. Also, if you are the seller and the buyer wires the money directly to your bank account -- as you should insist on -- (and you allow it to clear) where is your risk? Again, in all three of my transactions that has been the case -- either I or the buyer directly wired the money. Escrow would be indicated only if the BUYER didn't trust YOU. You get the money well before he gets your pin. The only risk is on his part -- not yours. Again, reputations matter here and the two parties I've purchased pins from through Pinside were both well known Pinsiders and I felt comfortable wiring money. Had I not, I would have insisted on using an escrow service.
    Also, the buyer arranges and pays for shipping with all of it's attendant risks -- all contingent on your schedule/availability. I personally oversaw the packaging of the last pin I sold and shipped, but STI also assists with this as well. Shipping is insured (again, arranged for by the buyer) so the buyer does get compensated (albeit not completely) should something catastrophic happen during transport. But the bottom line is, shipping incurs risk and every BUYER should know this.
    My advice is that if you are selling a "high end" pin (like a Star Trek LE, for example you should be prepared to ship it -- preferring local sales of course, but understanding that it's perfectly fine to ship to the right buyer (like the one offering full price and wired money).
    Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%. Since Atlanta, GA isn’t exactly a pinball hotbed, I almost have to buy from distances too far to drive. There is always more risk for me when buying without seeing it in person, but I don’t have many other options.
    I have no problem shipping if the buyer wires the money first and it clears. When I sold my GBLE last year to a guy in Ohio, we FaceTimed so he could see the machine in real-time and inspect it somewhat. As far as Beltline/STI, the guys on my end that deliver or pick up are always on time with no issues. In fact, there is one guy that is always the main guy of the crew.

#36 4 years ago

I've shipped (both to or from) on multiple occasions. If the buyer wants to ship, fine with me. They handle all the logistics and assume all the risk. Same goes when I ship a game. Personally, I can't think of anything worse than wasting a day or two (seems like the places I ship from are always over 12 hrs away) driving. I think that is a big part of the equation. I know people that love to drive. The talk about a six hour drive like it's a quick jaunt down to the corner store to pick up a gallon of milk. Anything more than an hour or two and I'm bored as hell. (disclaimer, I'm ADD/ADHD)

#37 4 years ago

I think I just shipped my pants

#38 4 years ago

Shipped a dozen games from the US to Australia no problem. In every case the machine arrived as it left. I place a high level of commitment to making sure the shipper has integrity. In every case the seller has been great and enabled me to obtain machines that I want when I want them.

2 weeks later
    #39 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m somewhat reluctant to ship my pins, but realize that’s limiting my area.
    Wanted to know if you guys are comfortable shipping and what steps are required to ensure you don’t get scammed (reversed money from the bank etc..)

I feel the same way, but more concerned with receiving payment. What steps to avoid getting scammed when you don't know the person.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I feel the same way, but more concerned with receiving payment. What steps to avoid getting scammed when you don't know the person.

This is something I’m debating. I suppose if you got a wire transfer to your bank and waited a few days for it to settle but I can’t say for sure.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Checking a pinsiders feedback is a good start. I think Vid or Force posted a whole thread on how to not get scammed.

I like shipping personally. Does shit sometimes go wrong?-yeah but shit can go wrong anytime your moving a pin hundreds or thousands of miles.

I just want to thank all those who ever worked with me on shipping a pin. Without them a lot of us pinsiders are straight outta luck getting the pin we want in the right condition. Thats also without waiting half our lives for it to show up on craigslist locally.

The 4 hour pickup window is a pain but if you have a motivated buyer they can request an "on-time" pickup window of an hour or two. It does cost more but thats the price of convenience.

I've had a few close calls but all my pins have made it to me safe. Its the arcade cabinets that don't get blanket wrapped that get damaged all the time. Side and corner gouges everytime.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ship-pins?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.