2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GotAQuestion
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you set your home pins on free play or credits/coins”

• Free play 81 votes
      83%
    • Credits/coins required 17 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 98 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

I dont set any of my pins to free play. Part of the fun of pinball is earning a replay credit, a special or a match. Part of the tension and thrill of playing a game is to getting a replay credit and hearing the replay music and the knocker go off.

I like to put one credit on a game and seeing if I can get a replay credit. If I know there are unlimited credits, it takes away some of the fun and pressure to play well.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I dont set any of my pins to free play. Part of the fun of pinball is earning a replay credit, a special or a match. Part of the tension and thrill of playing a game is to getting a replay credit and hearing the replay music and the knocker go off.
    I like to put one credit on a game and seeing if I can get a replay credit. If I know there are unlimited credits, it takes away some of the fun and pressure to play well.

All of our pins are set to free play...(you still get the knocker sound when you get a replay) The only time we have set ours for coin drop is when we held the Cincy Pinball Championship here at our house last Summer. The games that were used in the tourney, were set to coin play for the tourney. When you signed up and paid your entry fees, you were given 4 quarters for the game you chose to play and when your entry attempts were gone (we limited it to 10 total attempts) then that was it. We are planning to hold the 2nd annual Cincy Pinball Championship here again this Summer...Not sure we are going to make games coin drop again, still deciding.

Phoebe

#3 2 years ago

Free play at home here.

#4 2 years ago

All of ours are on free play but our DE Simpsons

#5 2 years ago

I love the coins. Seems right. Wished all my games were set that way.

#6 2 years ago

Free play for me.

It's both easier for me alone and for my friends when i have a party. By way of example, I have a beautiful antique slot machine that people always comment on but rarely play even though i always put a pile of quarters right beside it. Since most of my friends aren't really into pinball, I'm a little worried that if my pins weren't on free play, they would probably end up the same.

#7 2 years ago

I'm new to this folks. Have an old kiss machine. Have to open the door every time and set the credits desired.

How can I set this old Bally machine to free play or up the credits per coin?

Any help or guidance is appreciated!!

#8 2 years ago

Free play. I dropped enough quarters in my youth.

#9 2 years ago

I'd like for all my games to take coins, but I would have to buy proper coin mech for my modern games, so no

#10 2 years ago

I have all mine at Free Play but they do all have coin mechs.

#11 2 years ago

I have a few games on coin, but most on free play. I'm planning to put more on coin, but I'll lower the limit on some games to have a fighting chance. I agree having the games on coin makes for more tension and exciting play, especially on games like Cyclone. I do find the coin mechanisms to be a bit unreliable, I guess maybe if they are not used regularly.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

If you have the keys to get your coins back I really don't see your point here...

#13 2 years ago

There is just something about having to drop a coin(s) in a machine to be able to play it that I much more prefer.
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with monetary gain or "you wanna play you gotta pay".
    Every one of my pins are coin-op and have coin mechs in them.
    I do have a couple of early em's that were wired for free play when I got them and I just left them alone. There were a couple others that were too but I changed them back to coin-op.
    If anyone comes over and wants to play, I have plenty of coins laying around.
    Not to mention all the coins in the machines I can retrieve.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from bronco-jon:

There is just something about having to drop a coin(s) in a machine to be able to play it that I much more prefer.
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with monetary gain or "you wanna play you gotta pay".
    Every one of my pins are coin-op and have coin mechs in them.
    I do have a couple of early em's that were wired for free play when I got them and I just left them alone. There were a couple others that were too but I changed them back to coin-op.
    If anyone comes over and wants to play, I have plenty of coins laying around.
    Not to mention all the coins in the machines I can retrieve.

Now... THIS I get! The joy of dropping a coin and hear the sounds and clicks that comes with it!

#15 2 years ago

I dont see the point in paying myself to play, also i think the swedish gambling laws dont allow it, IIRC.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Meatbat:

I'm new to this folks. Have an old kiss machine. Have to open the door every time and set the credits desired.

Go into the settings of the game and set the replay score levels very low and make sure that the award for hitting those scores is a replay. Then also set your game to have a maximum of 40 credits. Credit up the game to 40 manually. Then each game as long as you hit that really low score you set the game will award a free game thus never needing to manually enter a credit again.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Go into the settings of the game and set the replay score levels very low and make sure that the award for hitting those scores is a replay. Then also set your game to have a maximum of 40 credits. Credit up the game to 40 manually. Then each game as long as you hit that really low score you set the game will award a free game thus never needing to manually enter a credit again.

To add to this you can set multiple replay levels so if you have a really good game it racks up 2 or 3 credits. The bonus is you get to hear the knocker a lot!

#18 2 years ago

My games are set to free play.

Coins/tokens just seems like a silly waste of time to me.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Meatbat:

If you have an Alltek MPU replacement board in there, that allows for truly setting it to free play. The low replay scores definitely work too.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

My games are set to free play.
    Coins/tokens just seems like a silly waste of time to me.

You don't need coins. Just push the credit button inside the coin door. When you have no credits (instead of an infinite number of free credits) your game takes on a whole new level of excitement.

#21 2 years ago

I have my Stargate set to add 20 credits with one quarter, and I just leave a few quarters in the coin return. Part of the reason I do this is because when I first got the machine, the switch on the coin door wasn't working so the game wouldn't enter attract mode on free play, but that's fixed now. The main reason is that I just like dropping a quarter in ever so often. Plus, sometimes, if I've been playing for a while, I'll decide I should quit once I run out of credits- unless I can earn a replay!

#22 2 years ago

Just depends on whos coming over. If the Little terrorists (lol grandkids) I either leave them off, or put on coin, and defiantly remove the coin door key!!!

There great and fun but dam can they hit start buttons fast on games LOL.

#23 2 years ago

All mine are set on free play.
    So much fun to have a group of mates over all enjoying themselves playing some pins! Don't think many people would play if i made them pay.

#24 2 years ago

Free play here - although I have wanted to get some custom coins made so we can cycle them through the games. Several of the games have non-working coin mechs though (one accepts Euros!) so I'd need to deal with that too. Thus, free play

#25 2 years ago

Mine is not set to free play. To me it adds to the fun and is nostalgic and yet not really making me more poor.

I enjoy the sound of the quarter dropping into the cash box. Reminds me of my youth and all the time spent in arcades. As mentioned by others, there is something nice about that sound.

I sometimes too use the startegy mentioned above by mystman12 that I can only keep playing if I earn a credit. Keeps me on my toes!

I have a small basket full of quarters in the game area--no one needs to pay (and I don't think anyone has stolen!). Don't have to do it too often but sometimes have to remove quarters to replenish the basket.

And finally I was lucky to have a home machine in my youth (70s era--mom picked it up for a few 100 at some place in downtown LA) that was set to free play. I always wished I could figure out how to make it take quarters (but never did). Now I can!

#26 2 years ago

I have a few set to take coins, but it is my goal to get most or all of the coin mechs operational.

No reason I should have to foot the bill for all of this is the way I see it.

#27 2 years ago

And I have been impressed with my coin mechs! I know that they don't get the same use and abuse that machines in arcades get, but I've never had to clear a jam or tape one off (or put a screw in one god forbid) like seemed to always happen in arcades.

#28 2 years ago

You... can still earn replays on Free Play.

Plus my coins slots don't start jamming and sticking. MAN do I hate that at arcades. One less part to fix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 49.00
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside