(Topic ID: 279650)

Do you restart your game after a bad 1st ball?

By Chet_Hardbody

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 165 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Anony
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2487 (resized).jpg
    youre-all-just-a-bunch-of-pussies (resized).jpeg
    20201107_145609 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1601418922186 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Never. There is absolutely no reason to. My score doesn’t matter unless I’m competing. So why would I need to artificially inflate it by removing the bad balls? If I have a house ball on ball 1, I want to see what I can do with 2 and 3.

I am in this group; with the caveat I did "restart" my JP a few times to test out the raptor lock mechanism.

So NEVER during play, if needed during testing, sure. That should be obvious but some people are super literal.

To me I am stepping up to play a pinball GAME. 3 balls, maybe more. Part of that game is having a rough ball or two maybe. Doing what you can with the rest. Other opinions are valid, but I don't know why I would choose to rob myself of setting a new grand champion score on a single ball or whatever; some of my best games only have 1-2 real played balls. That's pinball baby

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

How is it cheating? All you're doing is starting a new game.

Depends if you are trying to "test" your skill and ability to bounce back from a bad ball, or just get coddled with constant do-overs. If you have fun only playing "good" games, do that. If you want a reality check that "sometimes you suck, and you should work to get better" that is fine too.

If all I did in life was press reset button every time I screwed up, I would be much less careful and probably not be as good at a lot of things. No consequences etc. I think there was a Rick and Morty episode about that...

Is life (or pinball ) without consequences meaningless? Up to you to decide...

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

All you holier than though purists talking all this shit need to relax. I'm still a better player than you.

You seem to be the one talking crap here my man.

How about this; if you can't take a bad ball, would you accept pressing a button combination to add say 20 million to your score on modern Sterns so you could "feel better and have fun"? Or would that be "dumb and pointless"?

Alternatives could be giving yourself a stupid long ball saver, setting the game to extra easy etc. , all of those are equally valid options if you really can't stand that the universe could somehow give you a lousy ball now and then.

But if you can't accept this happening to you, I doubt you are a "better player than me" on at least a few metrics...

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

The reason I don’t play golf is everyone takes it too seriously. Pinball is different.

Fair, but I think as is often the case it is a matter of perspective.

Being able to have fun and walk away from a "bad" game is the definition of not taking it seriously IMO. Feeling an anxious rage ball because you are not always awesome seems like a person is "taking it seriously".

So I really can't see what side of the coin you are on here, aside from "have fun", which is really the right side in all of this! Well done.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Exactly.....I can't believe people are getting hot under the collar over some dude restarting his game at his house....ridiculous.

I don't think many people here are getting hot under the collar. It is okay for two similar minded groups to discuss something and not 100% agree. And sometimes people bring up interesting points like...

Quoted from barakandl:

It is a bad habit that I do occasionally. Mainly if I am high score chasing and having rough balls in a row

If you are high score chasing and trying to be efficient, I can see doing this. Still not my bag, but I understand.

1 month later
    #120 3 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What the hell are blathering on about? Can you throw in a cargument as well. If you own the golf course and bowling alley, and are not competing against others, then yes, rebowl or redrive. You people that think it’s cheating are on crack.

If you can't understand what he is saying, stop and reread it. It is okay if you disagree with it, but it makes more sense to me than resetting a game because somehow the fact your first ball wasn't amazing riled you up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-restart-your-game-after-a-bad-1st-ball?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.