(Topic ID: 320727)

Do you report pinball capital gains to the IRS?

By spidey

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you report pinball gains as taxable income?”

• Yes 10 votes
      13%
    • Shhhhhhh! 56 votes
      71%
    • I prefer to trade games to avoid capital gains 13 votes
      16%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ralph (resized).jpg
    aadebac0757506274c9eace39873cd33 (resized).jpg
    Good-Fellas-Hilarious (resized).jpg
    ei8OO (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    TaxTables (resized).png
    2C2FBAD6-6E8B-4A6D-88B0-CF7377B2259D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7C446951-8AF2-4571-B934-DBCFB2DC1B8D.gif
    645C1A80-DF1E-4941-AC8D-752A6BC0356E.gif
    8F966EEC-081F-43FB-9B7A-6A4F2C7DF5DF (resized).png
    giphy.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I beg to differ. This chart proves that not only do the 1%'ers pay the highest share of the total tax revenue, but they're also taxed at the highest rate compared to every other income level. That income level for the 1% is as low as 546k, too. As for someone who has ridden both sides of the top and bottom of that 50% income level mark, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing how the rich people need to "pay their fair share", right before they raise taxes. It's simple: the higher the tax rate, the more deductions and loopholes rich people(and their accountants) use. The lower the tax rate, the easier it is for them to just pay it and not worry about the shell game of hiding money from the IRS. I've seen it firsthand with the owners of a company I used to work for.
    [quoted image]

Chart says it all right there. But like you said, they don’t let the facts get in the way of good political sales pitch.

The effective tax rate of the top 1%? I guarantee you it’s much higher than the average of 25.6%, as the higher you go up the ladder in terms of income in that group, there are NO further deductions once you hit that top tax bracket of 37% on income over $647,850 for married couples.

I have an effective rate of 38.6%, while the marginal rate is 37%. I pay my “fair share” and then some.

That’s 37% federal tax on every dollar above that. If you live in high tax states like New York, NJ, Cali and Illinois, with state income taxes amongst many other local taxes and fees you are well above 50%.

As a tax attorney/financial advisor myself, their are no more real meaningful “loopholes” for most people depending on what they do.

You can move to Puerto Rico and set up residency, that’s a good one!

Section 7702 is a good one for the long term.

Everybody can take advantage of the best “loophole”, a Roth IRA and Roth IRA alternatives like IULs under 7702

Deferring taxes? No thanks, tax are on sale today, will never be lower through 2025

Cap gains on pinball sales?

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Cap gains on pinball sales?

Well now I’m interested. I know of some sellers who have taken advantage of the current market to sell off nice collections. I’m not talking one or two pins but maybe 20 pins to the tune of $80,000. I’d assume a significant part of that was gain in appreciation. And, no tax?

#53 1 year ago

The IRS when you deposit $600 into your bank account:

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Well now I’m interested. I know of some sellers who have taken advantage of the current market to sell off nice collections. I’m not talking one or two pins but maybe 20 pins to the tune of $80,000. I’d assume a significant part of that was gain in appreciation. And, no tax?

A huge % of audits, maybe 80% or so, are “letter audits” based on what you claimed on you tax return as a deduction or what you didn’t claim as income that they have a 1099, K-1, W-2 for etc.

The chance of an in person audit has gone up significantly now with 87k more agents coming. The IRS is still the most inefficient outdated government agency and that’s saying something.

Btw, they promised you that no one making under $400k per year will be affected by the recent tax and spend climate bill.

You would have to be “in person” audited, with bank accounts reviewed and even then, mods, labor etc raise the Cost basis to offset sales price. And IF you had losses I would, as result of an audit getting that far, file those purchases and sales on schedule C and write off everything I could possibly associate with that “business”

And, if you fall under certain income levels you won’t pay cap gains tax.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Should add….must be able to lift TZ up a flight of stairs…
    [quoted image]

This might be the most interesting thing in this thread. What in the actual f?

Quoted from Miguel351:

I beg to differ. This chart proves that not only do the 1%'ers pay the highest share of the total tax revenue, but they're also taxed at the highest rate compared to every other income level. That income level for the 1% is as low as 546k, too. As for someone who has ridden both sides of the top and bottom of that 50% income level mark, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing how the rich people need to "pay their fair share", right before they raise taxes. It's simple: the higher the tax rate, the more deductions and loopholes rich people(and their accountants) use. The lower the tax rate, the easier it is for them to just pay it and not worry about the shell game of hiding money from the IRS. I've seen it firsthand with the owners of a company I used to work for.
    [quoted image]

Or..you know close the loopholes that no one else can use. But why would we do that right? You do understand that 20% of 30k is way more impactful that 30% of 1 million right? The fair share thing is because everyone knows they can do those loopholes and widdle down their 'income'. It's not a secret. Maybe misunderstood by many, but the paper numbers while 'true', don't paint the entire picture and we all know it. It's not about wanting them to pay more, it's about wanting them to quit doing exactly what you state they do above.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Since when do facts & data have anything to do with expressing an opinion?

Do facts and data always matter or is it just for todays topic,just curious.

#57 1 year ago

Speaking of failing to truly close a loophole for the wealthy when they just had the chance?

Look up “carried interest rule”. Got kicked out of this bill at the end thanks to Sinema.

Hypocrites screaming “pay your fair share”

Here’s another loophole for the wealthy doctors and lawyers.

$32 billion of student loan debt already canceled. Now they want to cancel the rest!

A decision is coming in SOON. Has anyone here paid off a student loan already?

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

This might be the most interesting thing in this thread. What in the actual f?

You won’t find it on their site anymore either. It became a meme so fast they took it down. This was a few weeks ago but it’s common knowledge it was legit for how fast it spread.

Take it with a grain of salt. When my dad worked for the USPS in downtown Saint Paul he had access to their private shooting range in the basement. Full autos were discharged there from time to time. Now, I’m guessing your mailman doesn’t carry, but depending on the position, some USPS workers do but not mail carriers that I know.

That being said it does raise some eyebrows from an IRS perspective. It does make sense if some of the felony level tax offenders are into some other “stuff” too while being investigated.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

You won’t find it on their site anymore either. It became a meme so fast they took it down. This was a few weeks ago but it’s common knowledge it was legit for how fast it spread.
    Take it with a grain of salt. When my dad worked for the USPS in downtown Saint Paul he had access to their private shooting range in the basement. Full autos were discharged there from time to time. Now, I’m guessing your mailman doesn’t carry, but depending on the position, some USPS workers do but not mail carriers that I know.
    That being said it does raise some eyebrows from an IRS perspective. It does make sense if some of the felony level tax offenders are into some other “stuff” too while being investigated.

Yeah, if it's legit, I would assume it's not for a desk job pushing the paperwork.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

4,461 firearms and about 5 million rounds of ammunition are what the IRS had in 2017. I can only imagine what its up to now in 2022.

#61 1 year ago

So you're defending the rich while simultaneously condemning the poor for buying the very things that make the rich rich.
    You've got everything upside down, inside out, and backwards.
    The rich depend on the poor, can't live without them in fact. Neither can exist without the other.

Imagine what would happen to the rich if the gov't stopped handing out money!

Quoted from GregCon:

It's a popular fallacy that the rich don't pay their 'fair share' of taxes. It's popular because it feeds into the legitimization that parasites crave in rationalizing their standing in life. The truth is the rich pay more than their fair share of taxes. What isn't fair is so many 'poor' people pay no taxes and skate through life accordingly. I have several acquaintances who get a refund every year from the IRS because they are below the poverty line. These are people who wear Nike shoes, drive 5 year old Infiniti's, text on Iphone 32's, eat at Chili's, and always have smokes and beer. No one talks about that injustice.
    As for paying tax on pinball sales, there is an entire class of people in this country - roughly half - who should be taxed to death for it is what they chose. The problem is they threw up and it got all over the rest of us.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Speaking of failing to truly close a loophole for the wealthy when they just had the chance?
    Look up “carried interest rule”. Got kicked out of this bill at the end thanks to Sinema.
    Hypocrites screaming “pay your fair share”
    Here’s another loophole for the wealthy doctors and lawyers.
    $32 billion of student loan debt already canceled. Now they want to cancel the rest!
    A decision is coming in SOON. Has anyone here paid off a student loan already?

My Family paid off their student loans without help.

#63 1 year ago

Capital gains???

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #64 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

The ad only applies to a small number of positions (approx 300) within the Dept.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-IRS-special-agent-gun-028823423140

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

[quoted image]

I am sick and tired of people saying they pay their fair share,while this is true for many its not true for everyone.
    signed J Bezos

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

My Family paid off their student loans without help.

I paid mine off too. Some in Congress want to cancel student debt for everybody!

They need to reign in these colleges, talk about inflation.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I paid mine off too. Some in Congress want to cancel student debt for everybody!
    They need to reign in these colleges, talk about inflation.

This is one area where we actually agree. While the system around funding/schooling isn't perfect by any means, this isn't the solution. It's more dumbing down of the education system and only going to lead to higher education costs - not to mention taxes.

#68 1 year ago

I paid my way through college by fixing pinball machines

I just wanted to say that.

Carry on.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I paid my way through college by fixing pinball machines
    I just wanted to say that.
    Carry on.

I learned to ride the shovel,No handouts all of my bonuses if any were taxed around 40%

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Pinball maintenance $220/Hr .Count every hour and then put in for a deduction

Then the $220/hr would be taxed as regular income.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No. Not unless you’re claiming that activity as a business.
    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/earning-side-income-is-it-a-hobby-or-a-business
    But if you report a sale that has a gain, you can try and step up the basis of your game that you sold to reduce or eliminate the gain experienced on the sale to eliminate your tax debt. So original price plus maintenance costs, mods, etc. That’s what you compare to the sale price to come up with the capital gain you owe tax on. This is if the sale is just a one off here and there and you’re no claiming it as a business.

So if after expenses and all that you are even or selling at a loss. Theres no need to do any paperwork correct?

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, they promised you that no one making under $400k per year will be affected by the recent tax and spend climate bill.

Nailed it!! All those new rookie agents, they won't be able to touch the wealthy and big corporations. The wealthy and big corporations can afford a tax attorney which would absolutely slay any rookie officer. They will go for the low hanging easy fruit (the middle class and low income) with common tax returns.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

So if after expenses and all that you are even or selling at a loss. Theres no need to do any paperwork correct?

I think you technically should, but I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s a risk, but a very low one imo.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

A huge % of audits, maybe 80% or so, are “letter audits” based on what you claimed on you tax return as a deduction or what you didn’t claim as income that they have a 1099, K-1, W-2 for etc.
    The chance of an in person audit has gone up significantly now with 87k more agents coming. The IRS is still the most inefficient outdated government agency and that’s saying something.
    You would have to be “in person” audited, with bank accounts reviewed and even then, mods, labor etc raise the Cost basis to offset sales price. And IF you had losses I would, as result of an audit getting that far, file those purchases and sales on schedule C and write off everything I could possibly associate with that “business”
    And, if you fall under certain income levels you won’t pay cap gains tax.

Something isn't adding up here.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/treasury-department-rejects-gop-claims-irs-agents/story?id=88495613

#75 1 year ago

I believe a lot of us have lost money on games, so even though selling them now for a "profit" (which doesn't feel like it since we typically use the funds to buy another game which also costs more now), it doesn't feel like we should report any supposed gains. But technically it looks like the IRS doesn't see it that way. You sell anything on eBay, Pinside, etc., you usually do so with used items and sell at a loss but don't get a deduction. But anything you sell for more than you paid for it is supposed to be taxable income.
    Are we raising any flags by having deposits made from the sale of these games?

And no I don't work for the IRS, but I do my own taxes.

#76 1 year ago

Imagine being so dumb - even after receiving a formal education - that you sell your soul to the politician who is willing to let you welch out on your student load debt. But to make things better, the politician will even smear lipstick on the pig by referring to it as 'loan forgiveness' so you don't feel so bad about being a loser. One hand washes the other....and the filth all runs onto the person who actually pays his debts. Sweet.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I believe a lot of us have lost money on games, so even though selling them now for a "profit" (which doesn't feel like since we typically use the funds to buy another game which also costs more now), it doesn't feel like we should report any supposed gains. But technically it looks like the IRS doesn't see it that way. You sell anything on eBay, Pinside, etc., you usually do so with used items and sell at a loss but don't get a deduction. But anything you sell for more than you paid for it is supposed to be taxable income.

I've never agreed that 'resale' goods should be taxed, but I understand why they are -- it has more to do with people buying and selling for profit exclusively (like flippers) than it does with people just selling old things they don't want anymore. Unfortunately, like most laws/rules, the people not abusing the system get screwed by it.

#78 1 year ago

now I know why so many of these guys keep their pinball proceeds from their sales in cash in their safe, and use the same cash when buying new games. Seems ridiculous we have to report gains when you make a profit without being a business, but you can't claim a loss when you sell.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I believe a lot of us have lost money on games, so even though selling them now for a "profit" (which doesn't feel like since we typically use the funds to buy another game which also costs more now), it doesn't feel like we should report any supposed gains. But technically it looks like the IRS doesn't see it that way. You sell anything on eBay, Pinside, etc., you usually do so with used items and sell at a loss but don't get a deduction. But anything you sell for more than you paid for it is supposed to be taxable income.

You don't want to consistently land on a "SARS" report with you bank deposits.

When you see the term "cash on the glass" gets the pin, it's up to you to figure out what the next steps might be.

The IRS will still have their hands full cracking down on small business owners to come after onesy/twosy pinball sales.

Oh, and btw, the BILLIONS in Covid fraud? They have a rich pool of $$$ to dive into that current enforcement can't even scratch the surface on.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Imagine being so dumb - even after receiving a formal education - that you sell your soul to the politician who is willing to let you welch out on your student load debt. But to make things better, the politician will even smear lipstick on the pig by referring to it as 'loan forgiveness' so you don't feel so bad about being a loser. One hand washes the other....and the filth all runs onto the person who actually pays his debts. Sweet.

is it any worse than declaring bankruptcy over and over because you can and flat out not paying what you owe people, because you can afford lawyers to deflect, and blatantly lie about things recorded on video repeatedly, oh and what else..tax evasion?...because that was the other option. It's not a one sided issue.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You don't want to consistently land on a "SARS" report with you bank deposits.
    When you see the term "cash on the glass" gets the pin, it's up to you to figure out what the next steps might be.
    The IRS will still have their hands full cracking down on small business owners to come after onesy/twosy pinball sales.

Yeah I get the "cash only" thing. I have a friend that had a painting business and he tried to play by the rules with his employees and fill out tax forms and pay their SS, etc., but soon found out he wasn't price competitive and had to just do what everyone else does, cash only.

#82 1 year ago

"So you're defending the rich while simultaneously condemning the poor for buying the very things that make the rich rich.
    You've got everything upside down, inside out, and backwards.
    The rich depend on the ", can't live without them in fact. Neither can exist without the other.

Sadly, you are the one who is upside down and backwards. There are no rich and poor people - only varying degrees of wealth and perspectives. The poorest person in the USA lives a life of luxury compared to the average poor person in India.

But let's use those terms for a minute. The rich don't need to poor nearly as much as the poor need the rich. It's hardly a 50/50 relationship. If you don't believe me, bear in mind that every day more and more human functions are being replaced by robots and computers and machines. Those are all poor people being replaced - not rich people. Don't presume there is equality in every walk of
    life; there isn't, never was, and never will be. Thankfully, too.

Poor people should be condemned when they do stupid things - like buying Nike shoes when they could buy much less costly shoes that are every bit as good. Like buying cigarettes. Being poor doesn't absolve anyone of personal responsibility or having to use their brains, no matter what TV tells us.

I'm sure there are some 'misbehavers' among the rich - it would be impossible for there to not be. But it's a bromide of the worst sort to stereotype the rich as evil targets...most people who are wealthy either had it dumped in their lap or worked very hard for it. That's capitalism, and it's the backbone of success.

The average rich person does far more for his fellow man than the average poor person.

#83 1 year ago

"is it any worse than declaring bankruptcy over and over because you can and flat out not paying what you owe people, because you can afford lawyers to deflect, and blatantly lie about things recorded on video repeatedly, oh and what else..tax evasion?...because that was the other option. It's not a one sided issue."

Are you suggesting two wrongs make a right?

And...the number of people who do what you suggest is tiny; the number of people who are lined up to default on their loans and join the ranks of 'loser' is massive. Moreover, no one enjoys the benefits (?) of bankruptcy at the bequest of the US government...the losers who have their loans erased do so with full government support. Parasite Life at its finest.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Yeah I get the "cash only" thing. I have a friend that had a painting business and he tried to play by the rules with his employees and fill out tax forms and pay their SS, etc., but soon found out he wasn't price competitive and had to just do what everyone else does, cash only.

Schedule C, small business owners like painters, hairdressers, restaurant owners, you name it have a bullseye on their backs. You get a 1099 or pay one out. Bullseye. "Semi Cash businesses".

If you are a W-2 employee with no other deductions like "rental properties" etc. your chance of audit is MINIMAL.

My business is taxed as Schedule C because i'm a 100% owner. Despite operating as an LLC you get to select how you want to be taxed as for tax purpose, C-Corp, S-Corp etc.

The least audited entity? I think it's still "partnerships". If you operate a small business, you set up the LLC for state law purposes and asset protection and then choose to be taxed as a partnership, with your spouse, if it's not some professional designation, like doctor, lawyer, cpa etc.

My crew does about 700 returns or so (not that i want to but as a service to our clients), maybe one in person audit (rightly so), maybe some letter audits. "Hey, can you justify this charitable deduction credit you took last year".

#85 1 year ago

At some point you have to step back, look at the whole thing, and realize what a wonderful tyranny we've built. I am a government subcontractor to multiple federal agencies and I can tell you that if you saw the waste and scope of incompetence happening everywhere, you would not even think of reporting a profit on your insignificant freakin pinball machine sale.

Keep as much of YOUR money that YOU earned in YOUR pocket for YOUR family, don't give it to these clowns.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

It's a popular fallacy that the rich don't pay their 'fair share' of taxes. It's popular because it feeds into the legitimization that parasites crave in rationalizing their standing in life. The truth is the rich pay more than their fair share of taxes. What isn't fair is so many 'poor' people pay no taxes and skate through life accordingly. I have several acquaintances who get a refund every year from the IRS because they are below the poverty line. These are people who wear Nike shoes, drive 5 year old Infiniti's, text on Iphone 32's, eat at Chili's, and always have smokes and beer. No one talks about that injustice.
    As for paying tax on pinball sales, there is an entire class of people in this country - roughly half - who should be taxed to death for it is what they chose. The problem is they threw up and it got all over the rest of us.

Lol. The poor don't have a right to eat at Chili's without you calling them out? If you make below $____ you can't enjoy any niceties in life without the wealthy calling them grifters. Just eat your gruel and stay in your poor lane and don't bother me with the systemic problems that don't effect me. Man, fuck off with this nonsense. This right here is why I'm in the process to be rotordaves' neighbor.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

At some point you have to step back, look at the whole thing, and realize what a wonderful tyranny we've built. I am a government subcontractor to multiple federal agencies and I can tell you that if you saw the waste and scope of incompetence happening everywhere, you would not even think of reporting a profit on your insignificant freakin pinball machine sale.
    Keep as much of YOUR money that YOU earned in YOUR pocket for YOUR family, don't give it to these clowns.

Ding, ding, ding...winna winna chicken dinna

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think you technically should, but I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s a risk, but a very low one imo.

I started earlier this year keeping track of my acquistion cost and sale costs. I add mods into the acquisition cost. Just a small excel spreadsheet just in case anyone questions anything. But I dont have people make reciepts or anything so its all the honor system i guess.

My bank has asked me a few times why ive deposited 9k here, withdrawn 10k there. Ive told them its pinball. Hard to explain it to them I guess.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

I started earlier this year keeping track of my acquistion cost and sale costs. I add mods into the acquisition cost. Just a small excel spreadsheet just in case anyone questions anything. But I dont have people make reciepts or anything so its all the honor system i guess.
    My bank has asked me a few times why ive deposited 9k here, withdrawn 10k there. Ive told them its pinball. Hard to explain it to them I guess.

Also trades complicate things...

#90 1 year ago

What I’m getting from this thread. The government is spending to cause inflation on our pins. When we sell them they tax us. Boooo!

#91 1 year ago

You earn income (sale minus expense), gotta pay tax. Just how it works.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Huh… my safe deposit box doesn’t ask me these questions.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You earn income (sale minus expense), gotta pay tax. Just how it works.

But I’ve already paid tax on that income, several times.

#94 1 year ago

No one likes to pay tax, or more tax. I think at least we can all agree on that. I think most of us also agree that the way they spend the tax money is wasteful. Where we tend to disagree is what to actually spend the taxes on, but ultimately it still comes back to even if they spend it on what we want, most of it is wasted rather than actually going to who it is supposed to go to.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Huh… my safe deposit box doesn’t ask me these questions.

The problem is the bank still owns the safe deposit box.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

As someone who has never bothered with safe deposit boxes, you aren't required to declare are you?

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

But I’ve already paid tax on that income, several times.

The extra 5k you got for selling a game over the cost you had into it? That money came from
    Someone else.

#98 1 year ago

When Warner Bros. educated your kids on the inevitability of paying state and federal taxes.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

ei8OO (resized).jpgeiO (resized).jpg
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Some banks have rules against storing cash in a safe deposit box, but most do not. Cash is NOT insured if you do this. I keep a certain amount around for large cash purchases like pins. When I sell something, cash goes back in the box fund.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-report-pinball-capital-gains-to-the-irs/page/2?hl=pdx-mike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.