(Topic ID: 257224)

Do you really care about theme that much?

By Shredso

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 139 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

188117B4-0B87-4833-93A5-5B79B86A825D (resized).png
    2C0E585C-54D2-4C8B-BB91-A92277268B33 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I see so many posts here with people living and dying over themes. I don't get it. Sure, I love a good theme as long as it goes along with a great game. I also don't care if the theme isn't something I care about if the game plays great.

Let's review some possible themes... Without seeing or playing the games, how would Pinside react to these? For the record i like all of these games.

Let's base a pin on a comic book that wasn't really very popular that had a movie based on it, but we won't use anything from the movie. Judge Dredd

We'll make an original theme about bringing a robot chick to life and fill it with inappropriate sexual innuendo. Bride of Pinbot

How about we make another non licensed carnival themed game, but this one will have a talking dummy that insults you! Fun House

You know that show that was popular in the 60's and was resurrected by a flop movie? Let's turn that into a game! Addams Family

What if we made an unlicensed Aladdin sort of game with genies and a magic lamp? TOTAN

Monty Python's holy Grail was cool 20 years ago, let's make a game that really rips it off, but doesn't use the license! MM

I could go on for days. I think if any of these themes that a lot of us think are amazing were introduced here, they would be chastised. There are themes I'm looking forward to, but I certainly would never dismiss a game purely based on theme. I think we need to be a little more open minded. Personally, I'd rather see a non-licensed game with the licensing fees going to more game features and a better quality build.

#71 4 years ago

I probably should have specified licensed themes. Of course the theme has to work with the game. I guess I'm just a little surprised at how important it is to some people. Clearly I'm in the minority. If a license I was really looking forward to turned out to be a mediocre game it's not staying long. If I found a great shooter with a license I didn't care for, it might stay, certainly longer than the great license bad game. I guess we all like the game for different reasons, and that's fine. Carry on!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-really-care-about-theme-that-much?tu=Shredso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.