(Topic ID: 257224)

Do you really care about theme that much?

By Shredso

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

188117B4-0B87-4833-93A5-5B79B86A825D (resized).png
    2C0E585C-54D2-4C8B-BB91-A92277268B33 (resized).jpeg

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bearcat:

I would most likely be in on a Hitler Barbie game.

Who Wouldn't

#102 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

TAF is both recognizable and stood the test of time. The New Yorker, TV series, and movies helped it along. Medieval Madness always kills. The looks - medieval, castle, humor, draws in a large audience. Attack From Mars though similar, not the same attraction.
    Appealing to a wider audience gets an easier shot at the first coin up. Fun gets the repeat business easier.
    LTG : )

Quoted from o-din:

We had a Congo on location with about another 150 games in the 90s at the same place. It never drew much of a crowd and I played it very little. First impressions mean a lot when it comes to my 50 cents I guess. in the few times I have played it recently those impressions did not change.
    When playing on location, for me, with so many choices games needed some kind of a hook. Brash, in your face themes, always appealed to me.
    But what it really came down to is how attainable is a replay. That goes way back to the beginning for me. And still feels great when I earn one today.

Great stuff!!! I too, recall, my biggest goal was to hear the knocker for a " free" game. Almost guaranteed alot of my quarters would go in that machine before I walked away...

#103 5 months ago

Austin powers, not a great pin, but love the theme! “You shot me A hole!”

#104 5 months ago

I don’t care about theme, but I understand the reasoning for Stern, JJP, and Spooky to pic a traditionally popular them to sell. Hit a broad and hungry audience and you should have more success. I love original themes. I think they give the developer a little more freedom. I understand that modern games are typically finished before the them and artwork are applied, but in the case of TNA, I think the theme, geometry, and art all work together perfectly.

#105 5 months ago

Theme is important enough to me that I'll probably never own a Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, or Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Same reason why I liked (and subsequently owned) Mustang, but so many other pinheads never really gave the game a fair shake.

#106 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Theme is important enough to me that I'll probably never own a Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, or Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I will admit, Pabst Can Crusher almost won me over on theme alone.

#107 5 months ago

I've found over time that theme doesn't matter that much to me at the end of the day. I will put quarters in any pinball, the game play decides if I'll continue to put quarters in it, or buy it.

I do know that I tend to prefer original themes to licensed themes, and I am a sucker for 'pretty/badass' artwork.

#108 5 months ago

Theme is a huge factor for us. Luckily we already loved Iron Maiden.

The challenge now is that you don’t get full integration of theme, as in audio clips from the source material and movie clips, which makes me sad and makes theme matter less than it would. i.e., Jaws with movie clips is a shut up and take my money. It’s what makes us very open to owning a Hobbit at some point.

Celebrity impersonator audio is distracting and in general I don’t like it. But I have grown used to TWD being narrated by George W Bush.

#109 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I will admit, Pabst Can Crusher almost won me over on theme alone.

Yep - I certainly fell for its exotic allure!

#110 5 months ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

You know that show that was popular in the 60's and was resurrected by a flop movie? Let's turn that into a game! Addams Family

Addams family was top box office for a while and did pretty good.. either way

I don’t care about themes. I have a rollergames and jackbot. Make fun games, that is all

188117B4-0B87-4833-93A5-5B79B86A825D (resized).png
    #111 5 months ago

To answer the thread question....No. Case in point, I own a IMDN.

#112 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yep - I certainly fell for its exotic allure!

LOL. Brought back memories, did it?

Yes, theme matters. Which is why I have owned four Judge Dredds and am on my second No Fear.

#113 5 months ago

I prefer non licensed themes, but I know I am in the minority. I mostly enjoy the era of system 11's with many great non licensed games.

#114 5 months ago

Theme is always important!
    Licensed or non licensed is not important but the integration of the theme is!

And sometimes the theme is a turnoff.
    There are a few themes that suck all the fun out of the game.
    Dialed in fits that bill for me even though that’s all a matter of taste

#115 5 months ago

My lineup is going to be
    1. i500
    2. congo
    3. shadow

Clearly theme means everything....lol.

#116 5 months ago

Theme is everything. That's why I purchased DI.

#117 5 months ago

I can't think of any games I'm likely to buy on theme alone, the game has to play well, and be fun with interesting rules.

But I'd say theme is extremely important - there are tons of games I will never own just because I hate the theme. Pretty much any pool, sports, or playing cards based themes are instant hard NOs. Willy Wonka, Elvira, KISS, Oktoberfest, WWE? Zero chance I'll ever own any of those, total crap themes imo... I'll play them on location, sure. It's slim pickings here in Georgia, there are pretty much no pins I wouldn't at least play a couple times when encountered.

Plenty of mediocre themes are great games, it's just another factor, but they can certainly be deal breakers for me. On some the theme is more important than others.

#118 5 months ago

I absolutely love the theme for Ghostbusters and The Munsters. Gameplay on the other hand....yikes!

#119 5 months ago

A better answer to the question.
    Do themes matter?
    Are all pins whitewood with generic cabs and backglasses?

#120 5 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Do themes matter?

I think the op said earlier that he meant licensed themes vs just themes.

#121 5 months ago

Theme is everything! Last two games I bought are Maiden and JP2. Notice a theme?

#122 5 months ago

I guess the more they cost, the more theme matters? No, that can't be right.

Seriously though, on older games where there were fewer licenses, gameplay and artwork trumps everything, but when you are paying over 5 large for a new game, it better not be some band you stopped liking 30 years ago.

#123 5 months ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

I think the op said earlier that he meant licensed themes vs just themes.

Doesn't matter. Licensed or non-licensed themes are still a theme. I've bought more unlicensed themes without ever playing the game just for the theme then licensed themes.

#124 5 months ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Clearly theme means everything....lol.

It doesn't have to be a great film or TV Show to translate well into a pin. Never got that. I mean there's many many fantastically bad 90's cheese Sci Fi films that I wouldn't watch again but would make great games. Never saw Congo and I don't think it did all that well but damn it made a fine pinball machine as did the Shadow.

Quoted from PinKopf:

I can't think of any games I'm buy on theme alone, the game has to play well

Well certainly, buying a pin with shit gameplay because u love the theme is just as foolish as buying a pin with a theme u hate because u love the gameplay.

#125 5 months ago

Now I see why companies go after good themes/license....most people look like they will buy on theme alone without even playing it first.... case in point look at spookys new title lol . Crazy to me as I go for gameplay first bc well that's what they are for and what the fun factor is based on . Everything else comes second for me.

#126 5 months ago

To me pinball is great any time you get the opportunity to step up to play. I used to not give em's or Gottliebs a second thought until I started going to shows and started appreciating them. With all of these titles to choose from how could theme not be important? When I first started collecting I would have picked up any ss that came my way but as space became an issue theme became more important when deciding on what to add. Now I'm at Sophie's choice and the next one that crosses the threshold better be good enough to warrant letting one go.

#127 5 months ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

It doesn't have to be a great film or TV Show to translate well into a pin. Never got that. I mean there's many many fantastically bad 90's cheese Sci Fi films that I wouldn't watch again but would make great games. Never saw Congo and I don't think it did all that well but damn it made a fine pinball machine as did the Shadow.

Well certainly, buying a pin with shit gameplay because u love the theme is just as foolish as buying a pin with a theme u hate because u love the gameplay.

That's my point. I was being sarcastic. Theme doesn't mean shit or I wouldn't own the pins I mentioned. I only owned the best and have better taste than anyone else out there so everyone should love these pins.

#128 5 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Don't you mean Robinson family as in Lost In Space?

He means the tv show. I think it only lasted one or two seasons.

Very obscure reference, for sure.

#129 5 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Do themes matter?

A theme can be neutral, a positive or a negative towards the game as a whole. Depends on the individual.

Jumping Jacks- I hate clowns, would never own one.
    Stern Jurassic Park or Gottlieb Gold Wings- I neither hate them or love them.
    DE Time Machine- Love the theme.

So in the case of Jumping Jacks, regardless of gameplay I'd not own one. If it had different theme? Might be different story, but as it sits I'm not going to spend cash on a theme I don't like.

#130 5 months ago

Of course theme is important...how else would they have sold all those "Beatles" machines with that play field and why would you buy a Supreme pinball other than the theme?

#131 5 months ago

If I'm purchasing theme is a big influence. When they're not being used they're effectively decorative furniture.

On location I don't care and tend to gravitate towards the "worst" themes. They're more fun to play.

#132 5 months ago

Jetsons was a great theme .....then came the layout and gameplay.

#133 5 months ago

I'd say generally yes, theme is important. In the Pinside top 50, the only weak theme is The Shadow I think.

#134 5 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I'd say generally yes, theme is important. In the Pinside top 50, the only weak theme is The Shadow I think.

I actually like that movie. Cheesiness? Sure. Acting that could use a little help? Absolutely. But I think it has a certain something. Of course, I grew up reading the comics, so I am biased.

Oddly enough, I don't own one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 6,199.99
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Judge Dredd plastic Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 55.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside