Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you rate games?”

• Yes 45 votes
      51%
    • No 43 votes
      49%

(88 votes)

#1 1 year ago

With all of the talk about the top 100, do you rate games? I have never rated a game and wonder if there are more like me.

#2 1 year ago

Don't even know how.

#3 1 year ago

I have, but then stopped because it mostly doesn’t matter. I dont care about the ratings, but I do read them if I am unfamiliar with the game and I am potentially in the market for it. Its nice to know if there is an annoying sound or feature. But I can also look up gameplay videos of most games and that tells me most of what I need to know.

#4 1 year ago

I look at them from a business standpoint.

If I think they are fun. They usually go on to do good for me.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

Yes, but only if I play it all the time at my favorite location or it's in my house. Don't like the I dropped a buck in it at a loud barcade, so here's my 4.5 rating with "I just couldn't get into it" comment.

#6 1 year ago

added a poll

#7 1 year ago

Great idea!

#8 1 year ago

No, a game for me is either fun or not
    And I hate comparing EMs to SS games from the 80's, to WPC era DMDs, to Stern DMDs, to LCD era

Pinball machines are like women, they all have something beautiful about them

#9 1 year ago

I do rate games but only those I’ve owned
    The reason I do it is to help others with what shots they may like or dislike plus must have mods and what to look for when buying rather than just state how great I think it is to boost its rating etc
    All my reviews follow the same formula
    I have had messages stating they have helped somebody and that is good enough for me

#10 1 year ago

No
    Biggest waste of time in the world.

Top 100 is silly, will always change, is based on opinion not fact, and just serves to start arguments among the most opinionated crew on earth, pinheads.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

just serves to start arguments among the most opinionated crew on earth

oPINionSIDE

#12 1 year ago

Wouldn't even know where to start. I also don't think that highly of myself to assume anyone is interested in my thoughts on a pinball machine. Play it yourself and find out.

#13 1 year ago

I have not, ever.

#14 1 year ago

I haven't in a long time. Mainly because I haven't put time on any new games in awhile.

There are games I have rated without playing too much and I think that's ok. If I don't like a game as much as the 60 other pins I could be playing than it deserves a lower rating. Plus a lot of the rating system has to do with art and lighting, which don't take a lot of plays to rate.

However, I have made a habit of updating reviews if playing more helped.

#15 1 year ago

I review games from time to time as I think reviews are useful when done thoughtfully. Contrary to the rankings controversy there is good information to be mined from the review comments.

I will not review games that I own concurrently as I do not want to inject bias into the review.

#16 1 year ago

I do, but only for my own amusement. I get angry flags from other members if I crap all over their most treasured toy. Not sure what that angry flag is supposed to do.

#17 1 year ago

I did when I first joined, but after I saw the whiny pinsiders who flagged my honest reviews and actually posted in threads about it, I just decided to delete and will not rate any more machines on this site. Too many adult babies who can’t handle others not liking their precious games around here.

#18 1 year ago

I rate games for myself to see which game I like more than another game.

The entire idea of rating is the rater puts his own opinion in. Pinside can then interpret the data. I think the rating system is pretty good. Best example is Godzilla. Not my favorite but when you go through the owner's thread and people that play the game, they all love it.

#19 1 year ago

<---look for the ratings logo.

#20 1 year ago

I did at one point, but I don't like the pinside review system at all. It reminds me a lot of traditional video game scores, where even a pretty crappy game (in the grand scheme of things) is still going to score at least a 7/10. What are we even doing?

When I eventually realized it was mostly owners of games trying to justify their purchases and/or an attempt to prop up the value of their game I stopped looking at it entirely.

There's extremely few people who have well articulated and thought out opinions that interest me.

#21 1 year ago

Only when i have put a lot of time on them. If I’ve only played a game or two, then no. And if I haven’t actually played them, definitely not. There are a ton of games I played decades ago that I don’t even remember what they were like.

#22 1 year ago

It's nice that some people take it serious and don't want to review until they feel like they really know the game

Too bad that is offset by the avalanche of people who have an agenda with the game, or don't take reviews as seriously.

#23 1 year ago

No.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's nice that some people take it serious and don't want to review until they feel like they really know the game
    Too bad that is offset by the avalanche of people who have an agenda with the game, or don't take reviews as seriously.

I think you will find most people rate honestly. Just look through the ratings and you will see. The genuine raters far offset the haters.

#25 1 year ago

Nope, could care less.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Nope, could care less.

Could or couldn't

#27 1 year ago

No, don’t read or write reviews.

#28 1 year ago

This thread inspired me to add another review. Interestingly, my rating was within 0.004 points of the average.

#29 1 year ago

Yes, when I have too many, the one with the lowest rating gets the boot.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Nope, could care less.

Both "could care less" or "couldn't care less" are correct Boop!

On topic: I like the idea of rating games, but I've owned exactly one (playing) game, which I've got over 2000 games on. There's no other game that I have anywhere close to comparable experience with - the closest is the TNA at Lyons Classic Pinball, which my kids and I have poured at least $40 into. I feel like I should have similar in-depth experience on 5-10 different machines before I start rating them as superior or inferior to each other.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Both "could care less" or "couldn't care less" are correct Boop!
    On topic: I like the idea of rating games, but I've owned exactly one (playing) game, which I've got over 2000 games on. There's no other game that I have anywhere close to comparable experience with - the closest is the TNA at Lyons Classic Pinball, which my kids and I have poured at least $40 into. I feel like I should have similar in-depth experience on 5-10 different machines before I start rating them as superior or inferior to each other.

People can rate how they want, but really shouldn't be done as a way to force a rank. Review the game individually according to the categories presented. Then they can be compared afterward. Also, just because I like a game better than a game that scores higher according to my scoring, there's no need to adjust, that's ok

#32 1 year ago

One issue is that the machines that I know well enough to give a fully-informed review are usually games that I particularly enjoy playing. I am much less likely to try to review a game that I can barely stand to play. So there is a sort of selection bias going on there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-rate-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.