(Topic ID: 226447)

Do you prefer to drive manual or automatic?

By Luckydogg420

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you prefer to drive”

• Manual 76 votes
      72%
    • Automatic 30 votes
      28%

(106 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B7999083-9FEB-435E-95BC-823466669A3F (resized).png
    A626F0A0-62FF-4E47-A05A-BFA1DA1B7CF3 (resized).png
    BC1D24C5-DDB6-4177-95E7-9F46CB09363B (resized).jpeg
    238043B8-07FB-41D3-9D0C-2759F014CF19 (resized).jpeg
    QmiG (resized).PNG
    014 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_0085 (resized).JPG
    182630_183957511640976_168019_n (resized).jpg
    Infiniti 2 (resized).JPG
    xPW1ICk (resized).jpg
    cayman (resized).JPG
    IMG_4221 (resized).JPG
    nsxclean (resized).jpeg
    90. (resized).jpg
    current-04big (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 1 year ago

I prefer manual transmission cars. I’m not driving a lot in heavy traffic.

I owned 8 MT cars, my first car was a 4 speed MT 1988 VW Fox, I’ve owned MT Maxima and Accord plus S2000 and Z3.

I owned a S2000 for 6-7 years and sold it to get a fancy DCT automatic MT in the BMW M3 which was a great car and the transmission was really fun even though it was not a MT. But 99% I would just leave it in the automatic setting.

I currently own a 2008 Legacy Wagon 5MT that’s for winter and poor weather and the fun car 2018 BRZ tS.

When looking at the BRZ, I also considered a Cayman, but most Porsche cars nowadays are sold with PDK and that really is a great transmission, but I still prefer the MT even if it gives away performance.

8A80D5B8-D52C-4B0E-B93B-86C540189A06 (resized).jpeg

#53 1 year ago

One new feature I have on the BRZ is called hill hold assist. The theory is that you can take your foot off the brake, to the gas without having to ride the clutch while on a hill.

I tried it out to see if it was worthwhile, but for me, if you already know how to drive it’s not important (I’m not driving in San Francisco steep hills so I didn’t find it beneficial).

It kind of had a sticky feel to it as if the parking brake is on. Supposed to only be operational on hills, but a few times I’d be on mostly flat ground and I’d try to take off without gas, in other words just ease off the clutch where it would normally be ok to do, but the hill hold caused me to stall as of the park brake was halfway on.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hows the throw length on the shifter in those? WRX has always had just a pitiful shifter, and a short-throw is 'needed'

My car came with the optional short shifter kit already so I can’t tell. To me it’s perfect, just great and much like my S2000.

In fact the BRZ compares favorably to the S2000 in every way (except the S2K had the magical 9K redline and the extra 35 horses). The shifter was probably a bit shorter/better in the S2000 but I can’t say for sure because I sold it 10 years ago. I think the shifter was more light feeling on the S2000 and less notchy feeling on the S2000. S2000 shifting was like silk while the BRZ you definitely feel the click click when you shift.

I’m sure the BRZ has the edge on the WRX if that’s anything at all like my Legacy, I’m not saying they are compatible but I believe the AWD Subaru’s will have a cable or something to attract the shifter to the transmission rather than being directly into the transmission on a RWD car. But I’ll admit I’m not sure because I’ve not driven a STI

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Without the kit the the WRX has a throw aboot as long as that dodge truck up there; insane.
    Love the BRZ, maybe i'll get one when I retire.

Here’s a great video. Toyota 86 on Autobahn 149 mph.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Without the kit the the WRX has a throw aboot as long as that dodge truck up there; insane.
    Love the BRZ, maybe i'll get one when I retire.

these guys describing the BRZ shifter said it feels a bit shorter than the WRX. My car came with the short throw optional shifter.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Finding a manual option in a car that can comfortable fit 4 or more people and not cost a fortune is getting hard.

I wouldn’t say that. You can get many cars with MT. You just have to look around. Probably most dealers will stock mostly AT but there are a lot of MT cars you can still get. Accord is one example.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/every-new-car-you-can-still-buy-with-a-manual-transmission-in-2018#25

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 265.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside