(Topic ID: 226447)

Do you prefer to drive manual or automatic?

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinmister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you prefer to drive”

• Manual 76 votes
      71%
    • Automatic 31 votes
      29%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B7999083-9FEB-435E-95BC-823466669A3F (resized).png
    A626F0A0-62FF-4E47-A05A-BFA1DA1B7CF3 (resized).png
    BC1D24C5-DDB6-4177-95E7-9F46CB09363B (resized).jpeg
    238043B8-07FB-41D3-9D0C-2759F014CF19 (resized).jpeg
    QmiG (resized).PNG
    014 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_0085 (resized).JPG
    182630_183957511640976_168019_n (resized).jpg
    Infiniti 2 (resized).JPG
    xPW1ICk (resized).jpg
    cayman (resized).JPG
    IMG_4221 (resized).JPG
    nsxclean (resized).jpeg
    90. (resized).jpg
    current-04big (resized).jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Pinball machines take a little extra effort to keep running compared to video games. Could our love of pinballs correlate to our joy of putting in that little bit more effort in life. Most pinball owners seem to be “a little extra effort makes it worthwhile” kind of people. So I wonder if pinball fans also prefer to drive a manual car?

We have 2 vehicles a work van that is auto and a Mazda 3 that’s manual. I prefer driving manual.

#2 5 years ago

I just bought this last week after 12 years of automatics. It's good to feel the drive again.

WRX (resized).jpgWRX (resized).jpg
    #3 5 years ago

I've never owned an automatic. Manuals were all my parents had growing up, even when it took forever to find one at the dealer.

#4 5 years ago

Sports car manual, all others automatic.

#5 5 years ago

Since my work vehicle is an automatic and my weekend toy is a stick, I prefer driving the stick.
    That's probably just by circumstance though.
    If my work truck was a stick, I would probably get tired of it and want an automatic for everyday use.

#6 5 years ago

I live in the traffic mecca of the world so automatic is the way to go. I do love a manual though.

#7 5 years ago

Love banging gears, but i'm in a newer 1/2 ton truck since I need to pull jet skis and haul pins..... I thought about getting another sports car, but then it would be in my garage all winter where I conduct my pin hobby so no sports car. Got to get your priorities straight!

#8 5 years ago

Other than a small stint in the mid 90's, I have driven a manual since 1979.

1979 Dodge Omni
    1985 Ford EXP
    1986 Mercury Topaz GS
    1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    2006 Mazda Speed6
    2014 Audi S4 (current)
    1945 Willys CJ2A (current - 3 on the tree)

#9 5 years ago

Went to a car wash and manager had to come out to move car. All the workers in their 20s did not know how to drive a stick. Love manual trans on back roads but gets old with traffic jams.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Went to a car wash and manager had to come out to move car. All the workers in their 20s did not know how to drive a stick. Love manual trans on back roads but gets old with traffic jams.

This is why I switched. Drove manual from high school until last year. It was fun and I guess I "prefer" it, but practically, I've had my fill of the stop and go. What I really need is a driver...

#11 5 years ago

I need some short throw 6 speed in my life

I haven’t driven a manual in 15 years or so..

#12 5 years ago

Manual for pleasure and cruising, automatic for the daily grind. We don’t currently own any manual cars since my wife doesn’t know how to drive them. She drives a mustang GT and I told her if she wanted a nicer one it’s got to be stick.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

That’s why manual is referred to as a millennial anti theft device.

Quoted from Buzz:

I live in the traffic mecca of the world so automatic is the way to go. I do love a manual though.

Hwy 401 is the most busy hwy in North America. I don’t know of this traffic Mecca you speak of. Try rush hour here.

#14 5 years ago

I installed a TCI Streetfighter ratchet shifter in my wife's '07 Mustang GT convertible automatic. Makes it really fun to drive, plus I used a tuner to customize the shift points.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/tci-ratchet-shifter-0509gt.html

#15 5 years ago

In my decades of driving, I have never driven or learned how to drive manual.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

In my decades of driving, I have never driven or learned how to drive manual.

You need to learn, it is one of the greatest feelings driving a sports car with a manual.

Other mentionable must do feelings...Scuba diving, skiing or snowboarding in waist deep powder, seeing a jam band live, taking a crotch rocket up a steep canyon, and skydiving. All euphoric feelings and must do's.

#17 5 years ago

driving for fun. manual

driving while eating french fries or in traffic. automatic

my current car is automatic and I miss the manual transmission at times. My first car was a Fierro. VRROOOM VROOM

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

driving for fun. manual
    driving while eating french fries or in traffic. automatic
    my current car is automatic and I miss the manual transmission at times. My first car was a Fierro. VRROOOM VROOM

Fierro? Did you pack a fire extinguisher????

#19 5 years ago

With the modern day drive by wire systems, I enjoy my VW tiptronic automatic trans with the ability to drive it in manual mode via shifter or paddles. I was actually thinking about this topic just yesterday being in stop and go traffic and how I don't miss my manual 5 speed. I often use the manual mode to upshift to the next gear to sip less fuel that the computer would actually have me use if I was say going 35 and it would have me in 5th, I'll speed up to 40, shift to 6th and then set the cruise back down to 35, all the while it will stay in 6th.
    All that still doesn't do much cause I typically redline at the next green.
    I don't typically exceed the speed limit by more than 10% but I sure get to that speed fast!

#20 5 years ago

I prefer a semi-automatic transmission with paddle shifters, but a manual transmission in older cars can be fun.

Automatic otherwise.

#21 5 years ago

I can't stand paddle shifters, either give me an automatic or stick.

#22 5 years ago

I have a 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor, and 2 automatics. When it comes to Street Rod,
    a sticks a must for me..

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I just bought this last week after 12 years of automatics. It's good to feel the drive again. [quoted image]

Nice, I have the same car (2016)

Fun car to drive manual with!

#24 5 years ago

I've "inherited" a few automatics but only buy cars for myself with manual transmissions. I do need to teach my wife how to drive them though, she has a tiptronic and never uses it.

#25 5 years ago

My Grand Cherokee Overland has paddle shifters and great sport mode. Like using those when I get outside of DC traffic. Otherwise, automatic for me.

In high school, I had a 62 Spitfire Triumph that was fun to drive. The shifter was different from what most are probably use to as the top left shift point was Reverse, and then you had the traditional H to the right of it. It was finicky so you always had to make sure you were in the correct gear.

#26 5 years ago

I prefer manual in the fun cars - my ‘69 Torino is a 4-speed - but daily commute station wagon is auto.

#27 5 years ago

I vote manual.
    It gives my left leg something to do.

It might also deter some bad habits -- like texting, eating, shaving, reading, etc. while driving.

Stop and go traffic can get old -- especially in my pickup with the lower gearing. People stick to my bumper on takeoff and I can usually see the scowl on their faces in the rearview. I still like the hands on experience though and feel better connected with the vehicle and road using a manual transmission.

#28 5 years ago

Can do both. Had my 94 Nissan pickup for 20 years as a 5 speed. Got a 2015 Fit this year to replace it - 6 speed manual.

I am converting the DeLorean from auto to 5 speed. Turbo'd VR6 engine nuked the 3 speed auto from 1978, so an upgrade was in order. Looking for 350 WHP when done.

38454721_10155926706923710_2071581598670651392_o (resized).jpg38454721_10155926706923710_2071581598670651392_o (resized).jpg

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from myork82:

Fierro? Did you pack a fire extinguisher????

I had an 86 fierro. I think that one didnt burst into flames like the earlier ones... or never did for me!. I had to stop driving it around 150k miles because the frame was rusting through and my dad said it wasn't safe. Engine was getting rough at that point anyways. Sold it for like $300 in 2003 or so.

#30 5 years ago

Except for a chevelle I owned for a year almost 30 years ago, I have only owned manuals. That will change with my next car. Automatics are pretty good now, so I no longer feel the need to have control over that.

#31 5 years ago

Always manual. Here's my daily driver.

DSC05024 (resized).jpgDSC05024 (resized).jpg
    #32 5 years ago

I only drove manual transmissions until my last 20s. Then all the cars I liked were automatic only. So now I drive autos. Even the 3500 Denali I'm looking at only comes automatic.

#33 5 years ago

My 85 4runner is a manual. I drive it more than my 2012 4runner...
    65F17D28-867F-4365-9D0B-DB37C6D8E6B2 (resized).jpeg65F17D28-867F-4365-9D0B-DB37C6D8E6B2 (resized).jpeg

#34 5 years ago

I just sold an afm and bought a fun car. I agree with what was mentioned above, manual for fun car, automatic for everything else

20180929_132630 (resized).jpg20180929_132630 (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I just bought this last week after 12 years of automatics. It's good to feel the drive again. [quoted image]

Shit man I was standing right next to it and didn't know it was yours. Welcome to the team... Now buy some gold rims!

#36 5 years ago

I learned how to drive a manual when I was 12. All my dad's vehicles were manuals up until maybe 10 years ago. But I've always had an automatic.

Currently have a 2017 Mustang GT. I looked at getting a manual, but decided against it for one reason. I've had a history of back problems ever since I was 16. And After testing out the 2017 Manual Mustang, I knew that if I ever had an issue and had to drive myself home or the hospital, I'd never be able to stick my leg out far enough to push in the clutch.

Which, at this current moment, I've thrown it out again.

#37 5 years ago

My daily driver and my not so daily driver. 6-speed manual vs. 3 on the tree.

2016-06-11 09.51.35 (resized).jpg2016-06-11 09.51.35 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_192951 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_192951 (resized).jpg
    #38 5 years ago

4 spd. Top Loader big spline

329AF810-E4AC-488C-A247-709F2270DC2F (resized).png329AF810-E4AC-488C-A247-709F2270DC2F (resized).png
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

My daily driver and my not so daily driver. 6-speed manual vs. 3 on the tree.

Interesting as my flat fender Willys Jeep had a floor shifter as I thought they all did. My '67 Bronco had three on the tree and it liked to drop out of gear when going over a hard bump.

Manual for off roading, automatic for So Cal street and freeway driving for me. Too much stop and go there.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Interesting as my flat fender Willys Jeep had a floor shifter as I thought they all did.

1945 and early 1946 up to serial number 38221 had column shift. Mine's a 1945 CJ2A.
    IMG_20180619_182837 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20180619_182837 (1) (resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

1945 and early 1946 up to serial number 38221 had column shift.

Ah, mine was a '48 CJ2A. I tend to like the floor shift better on off road vehicles for the reason I mentioned about the Bronco above.

#42 5 years ago

Manual.
    Auto is fine if you don't drive as fast as possible everywhere you go...but I haven't quite aged enough for that

#43 5 years ago

My F150-automatic.
    My Mustang Convertible-manual.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit man I was standing right next to it and didn't know it was yours. Welcome to the team... Now buy some gold rims!

Gold rims? That's for the kids!!

#45 5 years ago

Last year I traded in what will probably be my last car with a stick. It’s possible I might own a Sunday drive car with a stick, but as a daily driver, I’m done. I love sticks, but my commute can be up to 2 hours of stop and go traffic. A stick gets real old in that.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

..but my commute can be up to 2 hours of stop and go traffic...

Uff, understandable

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Last year I traded in what will probably be my last car with a stick. It’s possible I might own a Sunday drive car with a stick, but as a daily driver, I’m done. I love sticks, but my commute can be up to 2 hours of stop and go traffic. A stick gets real old in that.

Nah, you love long commutes. I traded mine for a 12-minute commute and kept the stick.

Teasing, but I don't miss my days of long commutes...

#48 5 years ago

I prefer manual transmission cars. I’m not driving a lot in heavy traffic.

I owned 8 MT cars, my first car was a 4 speed MT 1988 VW Fox, I’ve owned MT Maxima and Accord plus S2000 and Z3.

I owned a S2000 for 6-7 years and sold it to get a fancy DCT automatic MT in the BMW M3 which was a great car and the transmission was really fun even though it was not a MT. But 99% I would just leave it in the automatic setting.

I currently own a 2008 Legacy Wagon 5MT that’s for winter and poor weather and the fun car 2018 BRZ tS.

When looking at the BRZ, I also considered a Cayman, but most Porsche cars nowadays are sold with PDK and that really is a great transmission, but I still prefer the MT even if it gives away performance.

8A80D5B8-D52C-4B0E-B93B-86C540189A06 (resized).jpeg8A80D5B8-D52C-4B0E-B93B-86C540189A06 (resized).jpeg

#49 5 years ago

What is the most effective anti-theft device installed in vehicles today?

A manual transmission.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

What is the most effective anti-theft device installed in vehicles today?
    A manual transmission.

Only in north america

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-prefer-to-drive-manual-or-automatic?hl=collint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.