(Topic ID: 351928)

Do you prefer playing at home or a local pinball place?

By Nintegageo

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by briyau15
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rather play at home or a local place?”

• Home 126 votes
      88%
    • Local place 18 votes
      13%

(144 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6494 (resized).png
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 months ago

On the one hand, going out provides variety of games and can be a fun date night or just out with the friends.
    On the other, a night in with the guys makes it easier to just shoot the shit and do mini tournaments with them since you're not monopolizing the machines.

While I do love the ambiance of a local place, I think I rather the home thing. I must be getting old.

#2 5 months ago

Home

(But I still encourage the support of local locations that keep their machines in order and take care of their customers)

#3 5 months ago

Playing at home sucks compared to having a fun time BSing, playing, and competing with folks on location

#4 5 months ago

I like playing at home but play tournaments as well at a local spot here.

#5 5 months ago

Both

#6 5 months ago

Home. A lot of you smell BAD.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Not me, i hose myself down in cologne before tournaments!

#8 5 months ago

Home. Sound effects and the pin's music is a big feature IMHO. Tough to hear the callouts over loud crap music.

Unfortunately, a ton of machines that are being routed at trendy hipster barcades are not being looked after and the settings for the machine are not correct.

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

I think that’s just a strategy. When I flip the calendar to October and see expo on the horizon I know it’s time to stop bathing (and wiping)

With the game hall usually packed I just hover around the machine I want to play and it usually becomes available shortly.

#10 5 months ago

I play mine at my Home,usually by myself!

#11 5 months ago

Way to noisy at locations. For me that's an average player at best I need to hear the callouts to score properly.

Also, a lot of games on location are dirty, broken and plays really badly.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

100%!! Anyone ever smell the fat Johnny Pinball dude at Wizards World in Indiana? Yikes.

#13 5 months ago

I love playing on location. I find the diversity in how the game plays to be more challenging. My games are all setup how I like them so it's much easier to score big on them. It's also really fun to compete and play with random people. There's a social aspect to it I don't get playing by myself in my Gameroom.

#14 5 months ago

Both! I play my meager collection at home but go to locations for the new games.

#15 5 months ago

Both. Home is where I can play continuously, practice my shots, and get lost in the zone, but on location is where I get to play new things, play in tournaments and leagues, and hang out with other cool people in the community.

#16 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Not me, i hose myself down in cologne before tournaments!

Oh man! That is even worse. Give me sweat and ass any day.

#17 5 months ago

Home given the choice. However, I go out to locations and regular tournaments regularly which makes the home setup even better by comparison

#18 5 months ago

I prefer to play older pins at the house and newer releases at locations.

#19 5 months ago

I'd need to play at home instead of a commercial establishment. I play for about 45 seconds and I want to pull the glass and fix something.

Of course, being a dealer for Stern, I generally have about 20 pinballs including the newest releases available to me for free play...

I have to play pinball every day.

It's my job.

(Grins)

#20 5 months ago

I enjoy tournaments on location. I enjoy playing at home more because my collection is mostly all the weird stuff you can't find on location. Also, like PinRetail above, when I see something in need of fixing, the glass is coming off and it's getting fixed, which obviously only works in my arcade lol. Yes, I fix games more than play them lol, but it's still satisfying...

#21 5 months ago

When I want the arcade experience, I turn off all the lights and play in the dark.

#22 5 months ago

Lately, I’ve definitely been doing more location pinball. Games in the garage are slowly collecting dust…

#23 5 months ago

I like location for the variety. But I can't stand all the poorly maintained machines....especially when it's simple things that are easy to fix like weak plunger spring or weak/misaligned flippers.

#24 5 months ago

Home 100%, you can set the volume, pitch and lighting the way you want it. Not getting the full experience usually on location plus I can have multiple cocktails at home without spending a fortune and worrying If I had too many to drive home on location.

#25 5 months ago

Both.
    I love playing my own, but I only have 3.
    Gotta get to the arcade to play all the cool ones I don't/can't own.

The rando-stank is just an unfortunate hazard of being out in humanity.

Frankly, I can bear the stank, as long as they don't also start talking schizo-gibberish at the side of my head while I'm trying to play.

#26 5 months ago

For me it is at local place. I'm not as fortunate, as many of you with multiple games at home.

#27 5 months ago

Both. Fun to be able to play at home whenever I want, solo or with friends, but also there are several good locations near me to visit and it’s a good reason to get out of the house. Local Stern leader boards make location play more fun.

#28 5 months ago

Home. I am a borderline misanthrope. Also, travel time. Don't want to venture out on a -20C night for an hour round trip to spend 30 minutes playing pinball. I sometimes hit locations in the summer if they have a bunch of machines I want to try out, but I tend to go when I know it won't be crowded so I can have a hope of hearing the game.

#29 5 months ago

Friends homes so I don’t raise play count on my own pins.

Home but support locations when they bring in newer games like jaws or interesting titles, hold events etc.

#30 5 months ago

Location. I am slowly purging my entire collection because I just don't play them at home anymore. I would be interested to see age breakdown of "home vs. away"

#31 5 months ago

I don’t understand why most operators feel a need to turn volume way down and room lighting way up. 2 of the 3 biggest attractors to pinball (imo) are the sound and lighting. Pinball sound seems to encompass an area just around the machines if anyone has noticed. I have Pinwoofer on 2 games and upgraded speakers only on the other 2. I can have the PW’s 75% and still hear the games without right next to it, although skipping one space is ideal. Spread out just a bit and show that art off. I’ll wait to get pelted by tomatoes right now, but it works!

IMG_6494 (resized).pngIMG_6494 (resized).png
    #32 5 months ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Quoted from Kkoss24:

I don’t understand why most operators feel a need to turn volume way down and room lighting way up. 2 of the 3 biggest attractors to pinball (imo) are the sound and lighting. Pinball sound seems to encompass an area just around the machines if anyone has noticed. I have Pinwoofer on 2 games and upgraded speakers only on the other 2. I can have the PW’s 75% and still hear the games without right next to it, although skipping one space is ideal. Spread out just a bit and show that art off. I’ll wait to get pelted by tomatoes right now, but it works!
    [quoted image]

Agree. Modern pinball best enjoyed in the dark. Sucks for Strobe Multiball though

#33 5 months ago

well I do play at home much more, but damn-it, those machines have coin-doors for a reason! Playing on location feels more natural, and for $20 you can really get your fill of playing across a variety of machines, walk away satisfied, and not worry about maintenance or the bubble bursting on your investments. Sometimes you even meet nice folks at the arcade. This whole home-ownership/collectors may have saved pinball in the last 20 years, but I'm still hoping the location bar-cade comeback will last. Whenever I step into an arcade and see $100,000 worth of pinball machines sitting there ignored I get worried for the future of the hobby. Unfortunately, with these prices, routing hardly makes sense.

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Location. I am slowly purging my entire collection because I just don't play them at home anymore. I would be interested to see age breakdown of "home vs. away"

48 years old 10% location 90% home. I love spreading a $20 around on site but in all honesty the tunes are much better in the BuzzCade!

#35 5 months ago
    Quoted from Scubaman82:

For me it is at local place. I'm not as fortunate, as many of you with multiple games at home.

we all started there and got bit by the bug. Much cheaper renting them a quarter at a time.

#36 5 months ago

Home, the sounds/music are a HUGE part of playing for me. And the bathroom is right over there....

#37 5 months ago

Definitely at home. I think you can get fully immersed in it with the sound, etc. and as others have mentioned the bathrooms about 15 steps away. And typically no waiting.

#38 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bmanpin:

Definitely at home. I think you can get fully immersed in it with the sound, etc. and as others have mentioned the bathrooms about 15 steps away. And typically no waiting.

Plus the beer is cheaper and you can’t get a DUI stumbling back to your bedroom.

#39 5 months ago

HOME
    I got more pins than any lineup within a short drive, plus the noise of the arcade doesn't thrill me like it used to.

#40 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image]

You're not fooling anyone, you're saving that spot for Jaws.

#41 5 months ago

The Pinball Place.

The women there don't nag as much as the ones at my home.

#42 5 months ago

Home for the simple fact that the arcades are so loud that you can't hear the game that you're playing and the sound on each game is turned down so low that you can barely hear them, just faintly. Another issue with some locations is lighting....like Silverball at Asbury park one of my favorite games there's a huge wall of windows is right behind you facing the games and you know these games look much better in the dark and with the bright sun shining right at the games, well it makes them look about as good as they sound on location....faint. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that places like Silverball exist with such an extravagant lineup of pins throughout the eras that you can go drive to and play for the day...but at the end of the day, I would enjoy playing them much more at home in a quiet and darkened room with the sound turned up so you can hear it, especially with the music pins.

#43 5 months ago

I turn my location games up as loud as I dare, try and keep them as clean as possible and turn down sling power to try and prevent cheap drains.

#44 5 months ago

If you have an operator that turns the volume up and maintains the games, location all the way. Playing for replay is what pinball was\is all about. Claiming Grand champ in your local arcade feels a lot better than on your own machine.

#45 5 months ago

Rather be at our place most of the time. No place local anyway.

#46 5 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I find the diversity in how the game plays to be more challenging.

Lol.

#47 5 months ago

Just got back from playing Jaws pro on location. Stranger Things next to it was was louder so couldn't hear it well, insider connect wasn't connected, three kids running around talking/screaming louder than the games. Guy next to me saw I won a couple free games and says "looks like you know how to giggle the handle" . That's location pinball in a nutshell.

#48 5 months ago

Love playing at Silver Ball as it’s a stone’s throw from my office, but it’s tough to beat playing at home. Perfect lighting, sound and a drink at the ready.

#49 5 months ago

I am gonna catch flak for this but I will throw it out there as well. I prefer watching a movie at home versus going to the theater.

I used to actually enjoy going to the theater, but the overpriced food, fees for advance buying an already overpriced ticket online, and that one person who sits there and plays with the wrapper on their box of candy in between moments of loudly chomping popcorn was the nail in the coffin.

Yes.... I may start yelling at clouds in the near future.

#50 5 months ago

Prefer it dark but need to go local to play newer titles. Support where I can.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.