7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LaughingOtter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I can't afford a MM but I love playing it on PS3. Am I doing a good thing? I like to practice to learn rules and strategies when I encounter one in the wild. Yes I enjoy plating Williams hall of fame but am I getting used to something that will screw me with the real game. Or does getting familiar with advancing the game help me for when I might play a real one?

#2 7 years ago

Yes they are great for learning the ruleset and layout. Just remember they play nothing like the real deal...

#3 7 years ago

yeah, what to hit and when is great, but the flipper strength, live catches, nudges and bounce passes will be nothing alike(obvious I know). Flail away or do what needs to get points, but don't expect anything but knowing the rules.

Makes sense.... TY

#4 7 years ago

Learn the rules...that's what it's good for. Well, other than just having fun. Of course the real world is nothing like playing virtually, but it does serve a purpose.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. I've only played Monster Bash on the iPad until recently, and I think I had a much better time playing it because I knew what I wanted to try and shoot for.

I played some others that I didn't really care for because it wasn't obvious what I should be trying to do, and I think I might have liked them if I had known the rules. World cup soccer is a good example of that.

#6 7 years ago

Learning rules is all its good for. Everything will bounce and play different on a real machine.

#7 7 years ago

Yep, same here... I know they don't play anything like a real table, but for learning rule sets, it's excellent. And even though the ball physics on Virutal Pinball and PinMAME are lame in comparison to the Farsight tables, learning the rule sets and learning what to shoot for is very valuable if you aspire to be a competitive tournament player. And with the lack of on location pinball in most cities, that makes these simulations even more valuable.

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#8 7 years ago

Even the tutorials for the Pinball Arcade tables are valuable learning tools. There's nothing quite like explanations combined with 3D angles and flyovers of the playfield.

#9 7 years ago

I practice on my TSPP since the normal tourney location has one.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Even the tutorials for the Pinball Arcade tables are valuable learning tools. There's nothing quite like explanations combined with 3D angles and flyovers of the playfield.

"To light lock shoot here
    Or here
    3 locks here will start multi ball
    to light jackpot shoot here
    or here"

#11 7 years ago

I'll practice some of the SPL tournament games on Visual Pinball, but as was observed here already it's good for learning the basics but not for true simulated play. Can't say whether the ball physics are better on the PS3, either.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 33.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 15.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 233.10
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside