Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Polish (resized).jpg
    78A9E6B2-E30C-457D-8978-9D1067A74AD6 (resized).jpeg
    20200522_205302 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Am I being too picky by attempting to polish the roll-overs while doing the metal guides?

How do you go about it?

20200522_205302 (resized).jpg20200522_205302 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

Am I being too picky by attempting to polish the roll-overs while doing the metal guides?
    How do you go about it?
    [quoted image]

I tumble the metal guides, but for the rollovers while I have them popped out of their brackets (for playfield waxing) and they're just hanging there under the playfield, I put a little Mother's Metal Polish on a cloth and thand polish them a bit.

#3 3 years ago

Yes, I tumble rollovers. They come out looking like brand new.

#4 3 years ago

Yes. I remember going to a friend’s house with an amazing collection but what really stood out for me was his polished rollovers. Since then, every game I do gets polished rollovers.

#5 3 years ago

Yep

#6 3 years ago

Parts cleaner wash; evaporust; and dremel wire burnish.

#7 3 years ago

Where possible, I polish them.

#9 3 years ago

Absolutely. They get tumbled along with all the other playfield metal pieces initially. Occasional minor maintenance hand polishing after that with Mother's Metal Polish.

#10 3 years ago

In my pf restores I use 400 grit sandpaper on them before reattaching

#11 3 years ago

Always. I see so many otherwise beautiful games where these have been ignored, and it's such an easy thing to clean up. Metal or chrome polish on a cloth is usually good enough to get them sparkling. For really old ones where they're entirely encrusting with gray filth, use a buffing wheel but make sure you're holding it carefully as the wheel will have a tendency to grab it out of your hands and send it flying. And use eye protection.

#12 3 years ago

Yup. If they're not really bad and just doing a quick spiff-up, I do them in place by wedging a wooden chopstick underneath, and polishing with Nevr-Dull wadding.
    Otherwise, they come off and get any of a variety of treatments.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

In my pf restores I use 400 grit sandpaper on them before reattaching

+1

#14 3 years ago

I started today! Although, I worry where this is going...

#15 3 years ago

Tumbler with Flitz polish.

78A9E6B2-E30C-457D-8978-9D1067A74AD6 (resized).jpeg78A9E6B2-E30C-457D-8978-9D1067A74AD6 (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago

Polish sausage, yes.

Do I polish rollovers? If they need it.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Polish sausage, yes.
    Do I polish rollovers? If they need it.

Yep. I polish my game's rollovers and enjoy a good "Polish" too! Mustard and onions please.

Polish (resized).jpgPolish (resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

I've often pondered that. Polish as, "of Poland", and polish, as in "polish the rocket". Seems to me, the latter should be pollish.

#19 3 years ago

Take them out and tumble them and use a Scotchbrite pad on the wire.

#20 3 years ago

I use an actual roller tumbler, not a vibratory tumbler with walnut media and some rubbing compound then if I want everything really shiny I tumble with corn cob media again with some rubbing compound. They typically come out looking better than new and no further rubbing or scotch brute etc is necessary. Now understand if they are actually rusty etc not much will save them.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisel:

I use an actual roller tumbler, not a vibratory tumbler with walnut media and some rubbing compound then if I want everything really shiny I tumble with corn cob media again with some rubbing compound. They typically come out looking better than new and no further rubbing or scotch brute etc is necessary. Now understand if they are actually rusty etc not much will save them.

If they are rusty you can use Evaporust on them and then Scotchbrite pads. They're very easy to restore.

#22 3 years ago

If they're too far gone, PBR sells replacements.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

If they're too far gone, PBR sells replacements.

Love seeing your avatar when I visit the EM threads.

Wayne is the man!

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Love seeing your avatar when I visit the EM threads.
    Wayne is the man!

Yeah. I wonder how he's doing. Closing in on 102. I'd like to maybe give him a call.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-polish-the-roll-overs?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.