(Topic ID: 309462)

Do you play Wordle daily?

By tomdrum

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220825-132112 (resized).png
    20220325_083354 (resized).jpg
    7F0FF889-48F8-42FF-A03C-B178A4E61689 (resized).png
    4DDC1B59-3EE4-4997-94B4-170A7C5ACF94 (resized).png
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I do, makes you think. My current streak is 6/6.

#2 2 years ago

Yep. My kids got me into it.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 2 years ago

I have a rule that if a bunch of crapola news outlets push a game, I definitely will NOT be playing it.

#4 2 years ago

Pretty obvious that I stay away from anything involving spelling.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I have a rule that if a bunch of crapola news outlets push a game, I definitely will NOT be playing it.

Not about what news outlet you'd learned about it, but rather have you tried it? Not being political at all.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

have you tried it?

4DDC1B59-3EE4-4997-94B4-170A7C5ACF94 (resized).png4DDC1B59-3EE4-4997-94B4-170A7C5ACF94 (resized).png
    #7 2 years ago

Plaid, tough are my go to

#8 2 years ago

Yes. I play it daily. Along with Jumble and Sudoku.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I do makes you think. My current streak is 6/6.

Are you playing normal or hard mode?

#10 2 years ago

Just read this thread and played for first time ever. Took me 3 lines toget PLEAT, is that good? Seemed easy enough and I’m already bored with it.

Sort of an letter version of Master Mind, no?

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Ha! Make it so

#12 2 years ago

Just switched to hard mode after today.

I had a pretty good system going to get most of them in 3 tries on regular. Hard mode should be interesting.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just read this thread and played for first time ever. Took me 3 lines toget PLEAT, is that good? Seemed easy enough and I’m already bored with it.
    Sort of an letter version of Master Mind, no?

I just tried it for the first time, too - and it said that the word starts with a W, has an I, and no U….and then the answer was Pleat. The fuck?! Fuck this game.

Added over 2 years ago:

I'm dumb. I thought the tutorial was the clues. I get it now and am hooked lol

#14 2 years ago

No, still stuck on Macarena

#15 2 years ago

Absolutely love it. Play it everyday against my wife. So fun.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Not about what news outlet you'd learned about it, but rather have you tried it? Not being political at all.

I’m not being political either! I just hate when you see all over “omg play THIS GAME!!” Its like those annoying ads, it makes me feel the opposite, I definitely DON’T wanna play!

Apparently that angered someone! Maybe they listen to those ads and immediately think “that’s a great idea!!”

Truthfully I avoid all phone games now and try to do things that feel meaningful and fulfilling. Too many of those games suck you in and you end up wasting countless hours and then you just feel bummed out that the day got away from you.

Good luck to all the enjoy it though. It sounds tough!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you playing normal or hard mode?

Normal, but after seeing the hard mode that's how I've been playing all along.

#18 2 years ago

Will be behind the NYT pay wall before long, so you better get all the days in you can unless you want to subscribe.

1 week later
    #19 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Just switched to hard wordle mode after today.
    I had a pretty good system going to get most of them in 3 tries on regular. Hard mode should be interesting.

NYT took over and appears to be upping the difficulty. I was almost stumped by the last two and usually get everything within 4 guesses.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from marquisroby:

NYT took over and appears to be upping the difficulty. I was almost stumped by the last two and usually get everything within 4 guesses.

Just bad timing. The original curated word dictionary hasn't changed. It just pulled some unfortunate words right after they took over. There's been articles investigating it, not true, just seems that way.

#21 2 years ago

NYT didn't take over, they just outright bought it. They're using it as a way to increase online paid subscriptions up to 25 million by a certain date. Can't remember when, exactly.

I remember when it was called Lingo and was a game show on Game Show Network hosted by Chuck Woolery. I truly hope the creators of that show are getting a piece of Wordle as its gameplay is identical, from what I've seen.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

NYT didn't take over, they just outright bought it. They're using it as a way to increase online paid subscriptions up to 25 million by a certain date. Can't remember when, exactly.
    I remember when it was called Lingo and was a game show on Game Show Network hosted by Chuck Woolery. I truly hope the creators of that show are getting a piece of Wordle as its gameplay is identical, from what I've seen.

They're bringing back Lingo

https://nypost.com/2022/02/11/rupaul-to-host-wordle-type-game-show-lingo-for-cbs/

#23 2 years ago

I do, but I refrain from discussing it at all due to the phenomenon we know all too well here, whereby anything somewhat popular attracts braggadocious naysayers who think it's really important that the world knows that they not only don't partake in it, but that they also have some pseudo-dogmatic ideal rooted in some societal bias that justifies their dripping hatred for the thing. .

#24 2 years ago

I've been using different start words like "IRATE", "ARISE" or "ADIEU". That gets most vowels in play.

#25 2 years ago

Started this 10 days ago, so addicting. The wife and I both play each day and compete against each other.

So far I've solved the word in 3 tries 3 times, solved in 4 tries 4 times, and solved in 5 tries 3 times.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I've been using different start words like "IRATE", "ARISE" or "ADIEU". That gets most vowels in play.

I was using Adieu for a while but find I'd rather just guess words but its a good strategy for sure!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

I was using Adieu for a while but find I'd rather just guess words but its a good strategy for sure!

I've played the online one 4 or 5 times to see what the fuss was about. I don't like the one word a day thing, but I see how having everybody solve the same puzzle every day, plus the social sharing of results, has caused it to go viral. I downloaded some app version of it you can play as much as you want. I've solved 185/188. I usually start with something like "rated". Popular letters that are often there 2-3 times in the first try.

#28 2 years ago

If you like world geography, try this:

#Worldle #26 2/6

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

#29 2 years ago

Im in. Wife chirped me for playing what everyone is talking about. Now she’s playing daily, and downloaded the multi game app in the meantime!

#30 2 years ago

Anyone remember Jotto? Similar to Wordle, but against an opponent, and you only ascertain the number of common letters, not correct letters or placement of letters. Loved the shit outta that game.

#31 2 years ago

I'm doing a DIY version - - hard mode plus using a different starter word each day in alphabetical order, i.e. a word starting with "a" day 1, a "b" word day 2, a "c" word day 3, etc. Makes it more interesting than using just a handful of "optimal" starter words.

#33 2 years ago

The only kind RuPaul seeks out.

#34 2 years ago

Interesting Wordle experience today. I've been continuing my "starter word first letter moves through the alphabet" plan and today was to use as my first guess a word starting with N. Wordle came back with all five letters being in the word, and all 5 in the wrong position! Since this meant it was just an anagram, it was a simple matter to get it on guess #2. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience yet?

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Interesting Wordle experience today. I've been continuing my "starter word first letter moves through the alphabet" plan and today was to use as my first guess a word starting with N. Wordle came back with all five letters being in the word, and all 5 in the wrong position! Since this meant it was just an anagram, it was a simple matter to get it on guess #2. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience yet?

Today was "bloke", now did you get an "N"?

#36 2 years ago

Our whole family plays it, I sure hope the Times doesn’t attach it to a subscription.
    We all compare our scores everyday. I seem to be the one with the lowest record but moving up fast!

#37 2 years ago

What is it? Never heard of it.

#38 2 years ago

Here’s a screenshot

7F0FF889-48F8-42FF-A03C-B178A4E61689 (resized).png7F0FF889-48F8-42FF-A03C-B178A4E61689 (resized).png
    #39 2 years ago

Could be on the old website still. A friend and i figured this out when she said she didnt know what the answer meant. Which for me was a common word so i made fun of it. Turns out she was still on the powerlanguage.co.uk (or watever) whereas mine had switched to the NYtimes site.

#40 2 years ago

There is a free Wordle app and you can play as much as you want.

#41 2 years ago

I play it... my claim to fame is that I had a streak of 3 straight of getting it on my second guess (and 4 out of 5!) So far I have only missed 1 (Ulcer).

1 week later
    #42 2 years ago

There's now heardle for music lovers:

https://www.heardle.app/

#43 2 years ago

It is an interesting game; it mainly it gives something for the extended family to group text about in the morning. I usually will be the last to share my pattern with my group because everyone in my circle knows I use the same starting word every time (before I even heard about the CRANE strategy), so I do not want to inadvertently give hints to them.

At the onset when I was introduced to the game, I suspected the average would fall between 3-4 tries. From what I have heard, there are computer algorithms working on improving the average and some are around 3.4 to 3.5. (I am at 3.69 in 39 games, easy mode, with 4 as my mode and no 1's and no 6's. I would be shocked if my starting word ever was *the word*)

Clearly there is some luck in the game, especially to get the word within 1-3 tries-even 3 requires some luck. It is very hard to force the word in 3.

The skill comes from having a decent vocabulary, knowing what letters often group together and choosing subsequent guesses to eliminate common spots for the letters. Sometimes the best choice is to not use the known letters as this can lead to a corridor trap. (I think in hard mode the known letters have to be used)

For example, suppose the wordle is STAKE. If guess 1 was STAVE, then STA-E is exactly correct, and there are several candidates such as: STADE, STAGE, STAKE, STALE, STANE, STARE

So instead of guessing STADE, and moving down the list hoping to hit the mark, it would make more sense to try and pick a word with as many of the possibilities (D,G,K,L,N,R) to use as many of those letters as possible. So for example choose GLAND which would encompass 4 choices. The A of course should be correct and if another lights up, the missing letter is known. If not, then those 4 letters are eliminated and can consider the other choices. In hard mode, this scenario is actually terrible since there can only be one new letter per guess.

What is interesting is to see how many different paths our group takes to arrive at the same answer. What I have been doing as a puzzle extension is trying to decipher the words that lead up their answer.

Anyway, fun topic, nice diversion from work

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Today was "bloke", now did you get an "N"?

Might have rolled the calendar by the time I posted; it was the "THORN" day; my initial guess was NORTH. Back to beginning of alphabet this week, used Abort yesterday, that set up guess 2 pretty well.

One other way to make it harder would be to limit your guesses to one vowel each for as long as possible.

#45 2 years ago

My sister sent me a link to Octordle. 8 games at once, 13 guesses. I predict next week’s game to be dodecahedrodle lol

#46 2 years ago

ugh, yes. 45 games, 100%, max streak 14 (I forgot to play a few days).

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

My sister sent me a link to Octordle. 8 games at once, 13 guesses. I predict next week’s game to be dodecahedrodle lol

Crazy game. Managed to get all eight by my last guess, but it wasn't easy. Different strategy than Wordle.

#49 2 years ago

There's a Wordle clone called "Words with Freds" that's free on Nintendo Switch if you own the games Love or Kuso.

It kinda loses its magic when you can just play it unlimited vs. once a day....but hey, it's a free game, can't complain.

2 weeks later
    #50 2 years ago

Check out these stats.
    Yes,I guessed the word on first try. Like winning the lottery.

20220325_083354 (resized).jpg20220325_083354 (resized).jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-play-wordle-daily?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.