(Topic ID: 213389)

Do you play the lottery? What is the most you've won?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ballypin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220114-161223_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20220105_140103 (resized).jpg
    20211231_144621 (resized).jpg
    C0CCA7BF-0128-4E0C-983D-80F877B9877B (resized).jpeg
    C758E6A3-1C26-4439-8A54-F5C328FE2602 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20211214-143101_Texas Lottery (resized).jpg
    lottery_ticket (resized).jpg
    010 (resized).JPG
    53E4A250-567C-4FD5-895C-0C5C648EB10F (resized).jpeg
    880390F0-857A-4863-B868-8175B209678A (resized).png
    005 (resized).JPG
    002 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3106 (resized).JPG

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago

$40 on a scratchy.

#152 2 years ago

This video is a bit annoying but the guy bought $1,000,000 in scratch offs. They spent $1 million and got $720,000 in return, goes to show how rare the big winners are considering they didn't even get a single win over $1k out of 20,000 tickets.

#154 2 years ago

I knew this guy well before he went to prison. Once the state released the audio of the purchase, many of us in the industry knew who it was right off the bat.

For all of the winner stories here......I am the only true winner. They pay me to work here! lol Been in the industry for many years after retiring from State Law Enforcement. I thank you all every two weeks....lol

Seriously though, there is a lot of mis-information all over the place, including this thread. I can answer any questions except "how do I win?"....I hear that every day of the week from any new person I meet. If I had that answer, I would be on a beach somewhere or in prison with Eddie.

#155 2 years ago

Do tell. I'm sure we would all love to hear stories and information about how the lottery is rigged.
    My wife and I wonder all the time when they print the big winning tickets and put them out into circulation.

Quoted from Manimal:

I knew this guy well before he went to prison. Once the state released the audio of the purchase, many of us in the industry knew who it was right off the bat.
    For all of the winner stories here......I am the only true winner. They pay me to work here! lol Been in the industry for many years after retiring from State Law Enforcement. I thank you all every two weeks....lol
    Seriously though, there is a lot of mis-information all over the place, including this thread. I can answer any questions except "how do I win?"....I hear that every day of the week from any new person I meet. If I had that answer, I would be on a beach somewhere or in prison with Eddie.

#156 2 years ago

I forget sometimes that Americans pay tax on winnings…

#157 2 years ago

Sure, playing the lottery or buying a few scratch-offs now and again is cheap entertainment compared to some things, but sadly many folks without a pot to piss in will blow what money they do come into by buying scratch-off after scratch-off under the misapprehension that they are "overdue" and "deserve to win" based on all the money they wasted on them previously. Sad!

The few big "winners" get to have their likenesses used to draw in more suckers. How about some ads showing all the thousands of losers for a little perspective?

#158 2 years ago

Hey. If someone here plays Powerball and is the sole winner tonight. Please send me a post card from somewhere exotic once you get settled.

LTG : )

#159 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

The results so far. We have to do the $3 books yet. We have bought $1 and $2 books before but not in quantities like this.
    [quoted image]

How do you get those entire booklets of tickets? Just ask at the gas station? Do they have to scan each one when you buy them?

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

How do you get those entire booklets of tickets? Just ask at the gas station? Do they have to scan each one when you buy them?

Our local grocery stores and gas stations sell tickets. Go up to the store service counters and ask.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Our local grocery stores and gas stations sell tickets. Go up to the store service counters and ask.

Oh every place around here sells them. I just wouldn't want to get in line and ask for 500 tickets when people are in a hurry to get gas. Can they just scan the book as a whole and ring it up as one item?

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Oh every place around here sells them. I just wouldn't want to get in line and ask for 500 tickets when people are in a hurry to get gas. Can they just scan the book as a whole and ring it up as one item?

They scan the bar code on the wrapping. One scan and done.

#163 2 years ago

Still learning , not very good at it though .

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hey. If someone here plays Powerball and is the sole winner tonight. Please send me a post card from somewhere exotic once you get settled.

I hope I’m DM’ing for your address tomorrow morning.

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

The results so far.

I did not know that they were in books of 100 now.

About 25 years ago the one and only time I ever bought a book it was a book of 300 I thought.

I paid 300 and got back around 237. It was fun, but I never messed with it again.

Since my girlfriend loves scratchers, I will have to start remembering these books when her birthday comes around. (And Christmas).

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I did not know that they were in books of 100 now.
    About 25 years ago the one and only time I ever bought a book it was a book of 300 I thought.
    I paid 300 and got back around 237. It was fun, but I never messed with it again.
    Since my girlfriend loves scratchers, I will have to start remembering these books when her birthday comes around. (And Christmas).

That's actually what started this. Christmas 2020 I bought my wife 2 books as Christmas gifts!

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Do tell. I'm sure we would all love to hear stories and information about how the lottery is rigged.
    My wife and I wonder all the time when they print the big winning tickets and put them out into circulation.

Actually, there is a ton of effort that goes into making sure it is not rigged. A lot of work goes into separation of duties and making sure no one person has all of the pieces to the puzzle. In the case of Eddie Tipton (the guy who rigged those drawings)....he didn't really find a vulnerability, he kind of created it himself. He worked for MUSL, which is the regulatory agency that oversees many of the different state draws. They are supported by the participating lotteries, and started out overseeing Powerball. Eddie and his partner (also named Ed ) were the guys that traveled around the country to audit the lotteries and make sure they were following all of the rules set out to keep anyone from rigging things. They were supposed to be the 'watchers" and above reproach, and that obviously was not the case. Because multi-state draw games became so popular in being able to drive bigger jackpots, the industry looked to MUSL more and more to oversee all of those drawings. Eddie helped to develop the electronic draw solutions they put into place, and he was able to insert malicious code to allow him to predict some numbers for specific draws. He had more "pieces" than he should have....such as managing the servers controlling the building camera system, code compiling, etc....so while they were making sure the lotteries were following all of the rules, they were not necessarily held to the same standard. In the end, he got caught like they all do.....by getting greedy. He thought he was smarter than everyone else, and he was for a while. so long as their are millions and millions at stake, there will be someone trying to figure out a way to rig the system to their favor. They always get caught in the end.

I am not an advocate for gambling, nor am I against it. I think what people do for entertainment is their own business, so long as they operate within their means and aren't doing anything illegal or asking for a bailout. I always get a kick out of the folks that tell me "I only play when it gets above $500 million"....like the base $10 million wouldn't be a life-changing event for 99% of us. either play or don't....but never base it on the jackpot. There is actually less chance you will have to split a smaller jackpot, since there are fewer people playing. And if you are going to play, then play your in-state games. they usually have much better odds (still astronomical). Granted, the jackpots are not near as high, but having a million in your pocket is worth much more than a $500 Million dream.

I will save scratch tickets for another day.........lol

#168 2 years ago

Two Powerball winners. One in Wisconsin. I hope it's one of my customers. Nice guys. A lot of great pinball fans in Wisconsin. Couldn't happen to a better person if it is.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Would you like a post card from exotic Bel Air, Md?

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Would you like a post card from exotic Bel Air, Md?

If it was you. Yes. Please.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If it was you. Yes. Please.

I got two numbers on one line.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I got two numbers on one line.

Swimin pools movie stars. Come and listen to my story about a man named @gliebig. A poor pinball man from Maryland. Well one day shooting at some fool. And up comes two numbers and bubbling crude.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Swimin pools movie stars. Come and listen to my story about a man named gliebig. A poor pinball man from Maryland. Well one day shooting at some fool. And up comes two numbers and bubbling crude.

...well I did just get my heating oil tank filled.

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well one day shooting at some fool

I love this, but it makes me wonder what LTG thinks the plot of the Beverly Hillbillies was ...

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I love this, but it makes me wonder what LTG thinks the plot of the Beverly Hillbillies was ...

Simple plot. The Clampetts ran out of revenuers to shoot in Bugtussel and were expanding their kill zone.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

We bought these packs for new years eve fun for the family. 3 $1.00 packs and 2 $3.00 packs. $900.00 total. Our goals is to recoup about 50% of the money spent, anything else is a bonus.
    Side note. We explained to both our kids and their girlfriends, that all of our bills get paid, we fully fund our retirement accounts and that all responsibilities are taken care of before things like this get done. Informed them that lots of people are addicts and spend before life's obligations are taken care of first.
    I will update how we made out when they are all scratched if anyone is interested.
    [quoted image]

Any updates on the $3 tickets? I won $20 on a $1 ticket last night. Most I've ever won on a $1 ticket. Also bought 5 $2 tickets with part of those winnings, but only won $2 on one of those. Overall I quit while I was $9 ahead. Just something to kill the time until bowling league time.

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Any updates on the $3 tickets? I won $20 on a $1 ticket last night. Most I've ever won on a $1 ticket. Also bought 5 $2 tickets with part of those winnings, but only won $2 on one of those. Overall I quit while I was $9 ahead. Just something to kill the time until bowling league time.

We did about as expected on the $3.00 tickets.
    100 per book/$300.00 book.
    $153.00 return on the naughty and nice book.
    $163.00 return on the bingo book with 4 tickets left to scratch off.

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

100 per book/$300.00 book.

I asked the store while ago, and all the books here are $300.00.

$1.00 tickets 300 per book
    $2.00 tickets 150 per book
    $3.00 tickets 100 per book
    $5.00 tickets 60 per book
    Etc.

#179 2 years ago

You don't get even a small volume discount when you drop $300?

What a rip off.

#180 2 years ago

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess every states lottery system is run differently.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I asked the store while ago, and all the books here are $300.00.
    $1.00 tickets 300 per book
    $2.00 tickets 150 per book
    $3.00 tickets 100 per book
    $5.00 tickets 60 per book
    Etc.

#181 2 years ago
    Screenshot_20220114-161223_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220114-161223_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #182 2 years ago

That's some efficient scratching you did there! Not your first time I take it.

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

That's some efficient scratching you did there! Not your first time I take it.

He scratches the same way I do. I first scratch off all "MY" numbers and then one by one, scratch a "WINNING" number to see if there is a match.

*IF* there is a match, I then scratch the prize amount and hope to at least win back the cost of the ticket.

When there is no matching number, I pick one of my losing numbers to see what I "could have" won.

That really makes it a dream tax.

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-play-the-lottery-what-is-the-most-youve-won/page/4?hl=midniight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.