Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballAir
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you play with the lights on or off?”

• Lights on 55 votes
      35%
    • Lights off 101 votes
      65%

(156 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

99777DC5-9FCF-4F17-B6C4-EC145D453206 (resized).jpeg
    7ABD41DA-FF30-4CB5-BF3D-8A3DF7614C6E (resized).png
    20160225_192044_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20150618_111305_(resized).jpg
    tron-guy_(resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I have a simple question for everyone (and a poll). Do you play pinball with the lights on or off?

I know some people may have games on the main level and have daylight shining in so I am talking about basement or night time play.

I always play with the lights out (games are in my basement) but some of my friends have said that it is hard on their eyes with only the pinball machine lights shining on them.

I am curious to the results of this poll.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I play in the dark only

#3 8 years ago

Full darkness is too much for my eyes. I add a small amount of indirect light for a good balance.

#4 8 years ago

I like dark, but my wife won't play her Addams unless it's at least 50% lighting in our game room. Yes, Addams is my wife's, you have to get at least one pin wifey likes.

#5 8 years ago

I need some ambient lighting. Dim but need some or my eyes get tired

#6 8 years ago

I'm almost always playing on location, so lights are on.

#7 8 years ago

I purposefully have lights on a separate switch above the machines and they are never on when the games are being played. I would call it a low-light environment but not completely dark.

#8 8 years ago

All pins on. All lights off. Pinglow only.

#9 8 years ago

As long as the game is lighted properly, darkness is fun.
    Although, the Gameroom isn't very dark when all the games are on.

#10 8 years ago

Yeah generally in the dark.

It's annoying on games like Big Guns and Creature that don't have enough lights down by the flippers. Never understand why they cheap out like that sometimes.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'm almost always playing on location, so lights are on.

Which locations are you playing at?!

NYC bars are all pretty dark. Everybody looks better that way.

#12 8 years ago

playing in the pinglow

#13 8 years ago

You need a "vote" option for both. If I'm playing by myself...I shut off all the lights in the house except for the machines and I LOVE IT. If my wife and/or friends are over who are definitely more of the casual players, lights on. I think it helps with ball tracking and such, and they don't seem to get as distracted by the flashing lights vs. a completely dark room.

#14 8 years ago

I like to play with the lights down low.

#15 8 years ago

It's normally just me and the husband near my pins. He suffers from severe migraines, so when he occasionally plays the whole room is lit so there's less bright flashing lights. If other people come over, I've got the room lit up so they can see everything and be comfortable. (And then they'll play maybe one game and quit, sigh.) But when it's just me, I've got the room pitch dark and love it. The darker the room and the flashier the pin, the better.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I like to play with the lights down low.

Same here, lights on, but dimmed to 25% or so.

Basically have two rooms down there, one with Pins/arcade, and the other with bar/TV. Bar/TV is where the kids play the Wii and there's also a music-cube thing that projects mirror ball/strobe lighting when on, so the kids like having that room dimmed or dark as well.

Dark but fun!

#17 8 years ago

We have some neons and led strips that provide ambient lighting without making it beight.

#18 8 years ago

I used to have F-14 and could never play it in pure darkness, that game required some form of indirect lighting or you would definitely lose track of the balls when all the flashers, inserts and strobes go off. With most games with spots, and the ambient monitor lighting on RFM it can be played in total darkness. I have my overheads on a dimmer so I just play in dimmed light.

#19 8 years ago

Didn't used to, but AMH is so much awesomeness with the lights off.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

but some of my friends have said that it is hard on their eyes with only the pinball machine lights shining on them.

That's why I have lots of other stuff that lights up in the room, black light carpet, neons, lit playfields on the walls and ceiling, lit signs and other stuff. So my room really isn't dark so to speak but it sure is colorful. Even the steps are lit with color changing strips from Ikea.

#21 8 years ago

So I have always kept my arcades lights on, and the PA Coin Op Hall of fame is lights off. The game scores are MARKEDLY lower with the lights off. I mean, like it's not even remotely close. Lights off = better visuals, but it's far worse on your eyes trying to track ball movement.

1.) Many games are horribly lit. Spot lighting can help, but only to an extent, as you then have light/shadowing issues. Ambient lighting addresses this.
    2.) Games with a lot of flashers and strobe can temporarily burn your retinas, taking at least 10 seconds for your eyes to readjust to the darkness. Ambient lighting offsets this problem almost 100%.
    3.) Glare. Backglass/DMD glare onto the playfield is GREATLY magnified and can make it hard if not next-to-impossible to see the rear playfield on some games. I have used bent-plastics to eliminate the display glare, but it does not solve DMD glare. Glare can even occur from adjacent games.

That being said, avoid direct lighting (like cans overhead). Dimmed/diffuse ambient lighting is best.

#22 8 years ago

IMHO the best way to light a playfield is with high quality LED overhead lighting, dimmed to a comfortable level. I use Cree CR4-575L-35K-12-E26 recessed lights, with a CRI (color rendering index) of 90. Most of my pins have PDI glass, so glare isn't a problem.

For me the goal is that the plastics are lit by the game's own bulbs, but the playfield is still easy to see using the overhead light. Brighter GI bulbs just shut down the iris of the eyes, and make it harder to see the playfield - unless they are spotlights aimed down at the playfield.

#23 8 years ago

Depends if I'm playing WOZ or not...

I was a dark only guy....I just got rid of the dinning room and now that the pins are there with a chandelier above them....lights on (coming straight down on them) looks great....it's nice to really see the entire playfield at all times.............Joey

#24 8 years ago

I don't keep my games ultra bright, so i can and will occasionally play in the dark, but i typically prefer a lamp or two on (but no overheads). Otherwise, it will start to bug me much like an undimmed phone in the dark after awhile. That said, i have no idea which option to vote for.

#25 8 years ago

I keep the lights off in the pinball room, but a small light on in the adjoining room. Scores are better with a little light on.

#26 8 years ago

It really depends on the game. With a game like KISS Pro, there is so much light, it's easy to play in a dark room. But my Game Show doesn't have the best playfield lighting, so I have to dim up the lights a bit so it's easier to see everything.

#27 8 years ago

I was at a location once that had those upward-facing lights, but they'd painted the ceiling tiles flat black. Fail.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's why I have lots of other stuff that lights up in the room, black light carpet, neons, lit playfields on the walls and ceiling, lit signs and other stuff. So my room really isn't dark so to speak but it sure is colorful. Even the steps are lit with color changing strips from Ikea.

I should say you have a fantastic overall gameroom lightning. I tend to be hostile to full led pins in the dark, but you found a way to improve GI of all games while keeping a beautiful colorful light show in the room. The black light carpet is very cool. And all pins are 100% playable under these conditions.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Which locations are you playing at?!
    NYC bars are all pretty dark. Everybody looks better that way.

Many of the Cleveland area locations are more family type places rather than bars, so they're pretty well lit. The main three being Kidforce Collectibles, Stonehedge (bowling alley), and the Happy Dog (bar/restaurant).

#30 8 years ago

Both. In the dark is good for a change sometimes.

#31 8 years ago

Space Invaders arcade in Cleveland back in the eighties used to be totally dark. At closing they'd turn on all the lights and all you could see was a smoky haze and all the rats scurrying for cover.

#32 8 years ago

Dark.

#33 8 years ago

Both. At night. Low Lighting on, and no lighting. During day light hours there is no practical way to make the room dark.

#34 8 years ago

Dimmed, rarely off.

#35 8 years ago

In the dark and in my underwear

#36 8 years ago

I play in the dark. It's easier to play with the lights on, but I like the look and feel of playing in the dark better. There's nothing quite like Strobe Multiball on AFM in a dark room.

#37 8 years ago

I prefer dimmed, but not fully off.

I was in an arcade once recently that had all the lights fully turned on, and it was awful. The place was completely empty, which was odd, especially since it was during prime weekend hours.

Arcades were never traditionally brightly light nor fully lacked lighting.

#38 8 years ago

Definitely need to add a dimmed/50% option to the poll.

#40 8 years ago

the only way to play.... in the dark. lights out / glow on

tron-guy_(resized).jpgtron-guy_(resized).jpg

#41 8 years ago

I play in low/ambient light. My game room is L shaped so in the alcove portion of the room I have ambient lighting provided by a group of 3 lights aimed at the ceiling/walls. In the longer part of the room, I have can lights that are dimmed for play time.

Dave

#42 8 years ago

Full dark, no stars

#43 8 years ago

I normally play my machines with the lights on.

The exception was when I had my Tron LE, that was just magical with the lights off.

#44 8 years ago

Blackout by myself dim with friends.

#45 8 years ago

dark for sure

#46 8 years ago

The comet led in my 4 games makes ample light to play in the dark. Like a giant row of night lights. Fastbreak is now gone but you get the idea

20150618_111305_(resized).jpg20150618_111305_(resized).jpg

#47 8 years ago

Like everything in life... "it depends."

IF the machine has good GI and perhaps some extra spots, playing in the dark can reduce reflections etc. And it's awesomely cool.

But some machines, you HAVE to have the lights on to see that ball at all!

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

I should say you have a fantastic overall gameroom lightning. I tend to be hostile to full led pins in the dark, but you found a way to improve GI of all games while keeping a beautiful colorful light show in the room. The black light carpet is very cool. And all pins are 100% playable under these conditions.

Why thank you sir Your just gonna have to stop in again cuz I've add more light up stuff.

#49 8 years ago

A great post. I prefer playing on the dark or with a dim light on. With clothes on most of the time. Lol

#50 8 years ago

I've got a row of dimmable track lights above the machines....about 20% brightness w 40w bulb....the one above TRONLE is out as it looks cool dark....WOZ, TZ, and TAF benefit from a little overhead....

Have to get around to carrying this theme to second row....just lazy lately....

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-play-pinball-in-the-dark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.