(Topic ID: 222791)

Do you pick up a penny off the ground?

By joemagiera

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4540 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20180810-214109 (resized).png
    20180809_183843 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    2213565842_13b50f1fb3_b_fountain-coins-750x500 (resized).jpg
    2fjktl (resized).jpg
    download-2 (resized).jpeg
    m9aFBYUjFb5yM2lwVmU6sbg (resized).jpg
    5J5A0697 (resized).JPG
    5J5A0698 (resized).JPG
    c-600wi (resized).jpg
    PART_1533768498057_1533768498221 (resized).jpg
    PART_1533768466149_1533768466312 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    300-CSA_50c_1861_o (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Her name penny I'm taking it?

Penny's from heaven.

#102 5 years ago

Face up equals good luck!

download-2 (resized).jpegdownload-2 (resized).jpeg
    #103 5 years ago

I pick up change every time I see it on the ground even pennies. I have a 5 gallon jar that I throw just pennies in that I've been doing for 20 years. Over half full. It helps my hoarding tendencies and doesn't take up much space.
    Also cut grass for a chain of car washes and the vacuum areas always have lots of change.

#104 5 years ago

I try not to make eye contact and hope it didn't see me

#105 5 years ago

I used to keep all my change in a 5 gallon Sparkletts bottle. And it was near full. Until it went missing. Never again!

I spend it now as fast as it comes in.

#106 5 years ago

... I think we went to High School together

#107 5 years ago

I only pick them up in case I ever go to San Angeles and have to have my car smog inspected. I can pay in pennies then give a bad yelp review on how they called me a cheapskate.

#108 5 years ago

Tools at the shop I used to work in always found a way to grow legs. Fake money probably would not discourage people from taking stuff but at least it leave them a little disappointed.

#109 5 years ago

I only do heads up, but think I will start turning over the others for the next person. I once was shopping for a bed for my daughter and was getting no service at this store I found a 100 dollar bill. I looked around and I was the only one in the store so I grabbed it. Couldn't tell you if was up or down.

#110 5 years ago

Sockets grow the most legs.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I only pick them up in case I ever go to San Angeles and have to have my car smog inspected. I can pay in pennies then give a bad yelp review on how they called me a cheapskate.

2fjktl (resized).jpg2fjktl (resized).jpg
    #112 5 years ago

When I was in my late teens or so, I used to hang after work with a couple of coworker dudes around same age (maybe college). We weren't close friends (they were with each other), but we would party a little and walk around town checkin out college tail.

Anyway, one day we are walking down a sidewalk (about five of us); I am towards the rear of group. I watch as they each step over a 20 dollar bill on sidewalk. I noticed it, bent down to pick it up and found that it was pretty stuck down and wrinkley as though it had rained on it and already been stepped on. I instantly thought it was fake or a joke, but carefully peeled it up and....NOPE real deal! I picked it up, made and exclamation and immediately one of the dudes I was with said he just dropped it. I kinda laughed figuring he was being a smart ass; then his buddies starting chiming in claiming they saw him drop it so I need to give it to him!!

After a minute or two of realizing they were being serious, I flat out told them to get fucked! What balls! I knew it was there a long time....plus, I'm no small dude to screw with and they were.

Last time we hung out. Lol.

#113 5 years ago

...double...

#114 5 years ago

When I was waiting tables I used to get those fake $20 Jesus bills it's the worst tip ever

#115 5 years ago

Penny from The Magicians? He’s a traveler, so I would pick him up just so he could teleport me to the PHOF at least twice a week.

#116 5 years ago

Heck, I don't even have to put on my diving gear.
    2213565842_13b50f1fb3_b_fountain-coins-750x500 (resized).jpg2213565842_13b50f1fb3_b_fountain-coins-750x500 (resized).jpg

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Heck, I don't even have to put on my diving gear.
    [quoted image]

Those look "dropped" to me. Go for it!

#118 5 years ago

Pennies and up, including soda cans if I'm on my way to the car.
    Think about your true intrinsic 24/7 per minute value. For me the 10 seconds it takes to pick up a penny is a >10% pay raise for that one minute.
    What's your true per minute of life value? Take your net weekly pay, divide it by 7, divide that by 1440 (24 hours in minutes). That gives you what you're really worth per minute.

#119 5 years ago

Sure, I'd pick up a penny. A dab of superglue, and stick it back to the ground..

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It was sort of covered earlier today.
    In WWII the copper was used for the war effort so pennies were made out of steel.
    [quoted image]

Any idea how many steel pennies were made?
    I guess I could Google it but I guess I am asking, are all steel pennies valuable now, depending on condition?

#121 5 years ago

Only heads up or wheat year

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Any idea how many steel pennies were made?
    I guess I could Google it but I guess I am asking, are all steel pennies valuable now, depending on condition?

They made a bunch in 1943. Some worth a little more than others. Maybe worth a couple dollars a piece.

The real valuable ones are from 1944 when they had gone back to copper, so there are very few out there. Same with the copper from 1943 as most were steel and only a few copper examples exist. Those are two of the highest priced pennies out there. Further research shows nice ones have sold for several hundred thousand at auction.

So next time you look down and see a penny on the ground that doesn't look exactly new, it might not be a bad idea to at least bend down and give it a look.

#123 5 years ago

Hottest thread on Pinside! Next time someone’s rolling their eyes about a $20k Lebowski, direct them to this thread for the $100k penny.

#124 5 years ago

Yes sir. Specially in front of someone. Lol.

#125 5 years ago

Yes my girlfriend and I do when we’re out together or alone and share how much we find. We actually put all found change in a Hulk giant piggy bank. I also got her the penny Pandora charm so it’s been a little thing we have done over the years.

#126 5 years ago

I’m impressed with the number of people that have convinced their girlfriends/wives that collecting loose change is a suitable couples’ hobby. Well played, gentlemen, well played.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What do you expect out of some random CL guy?!?!

My bad, Spellcheck got me

Kind of like when you do all your research for the perfect car, then smash it into a tree...

#128 5 years ago
    Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #129 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I remember as a kid my dad had a strange looking penny (or 2) in his coin tray in his dresser. I thought it was made of lead or steel, maybe copper. It was a lighter color, not copper at all. Maybe steel..I wish I could remember better.

You're in the wrong thread, you need to go to "you know you're old when". Try not to get lost on your way...….sir

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

One of my jobs in college was working an overnight shift at the Veterinary Hospital. Each night I'd look under all the vending machines and more often than not came away with a dollar or more each time. Having long arms came in handy.

I use a tape measure.

#131 5 years ago

We went through some change that has been sitting in our cottage for years. Found some old ones and starting looking them up to see if they where worth anything. We about shit our pants when we pulled this one up.

20180809_183843 (resized).jpg20180809_183843 (resized).jpg
    #132 5 years ago

I worked as a tool sales guy for Sears before.

Had a guy come in saying he ran a laundromat and was wondering if I had any sort of tool to help fish coins out from under machines. Showed him some grabber tools etc....he says NO, like a special magnet for coins or something. I chuckled ...... he didn't. ..... awkward!

Apparently, he wasn't joking and honestly thought I would have some magic magnet. Had to try SOO hard not to insult or laugh!

Best I could offer was a yard stick and some rope caulk type stuff. I suggested he try bubble gum on end on end of stick as well. No joke. Lol

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

We about shit our pants when we pulled this one up. [quoted image]

As in "Goddammit, even in 1936 Canadian pennies were slipping across the border and infiltrating our grandfathers' loose change"?

#134 5 years ago

We went through some change that has been sitting in our cottage for years. Found some old ones and starting looking them up to see if they where worth anything. We about shit our pants when we pulled this one up. [quoted image]

Holy shit! I had to look that up! 1 of 3 known to have been made!!??

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh:

Holy shit! I had to look that up! 1 of 3 known to have been made!!??

The 1936 "dot" cent would have a tiny dot under the date on the reverse side, which differentiates the three of them from the millions of other 1936 Canadian pennies.

Still a nice old piece.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The 1936 "dot" cent would have a tiny dot under the date on the reverse side, which differentiates the three of them from the millions of other 1936 Canadian pennies.

http://o.canada.com/business/rare-dotted-canadian-penny-from-1936-sells-at-u-s-coin-auction-for-250000

#137 5 years ago

Yep.. pick them up and when paying for things I always round up to the next dollar and get change back... put it in a container and save it up. Wife gives me hers and I put it up and after awhile .. like a couple years... it's seriously quit a bit. When I separate it I look for old coin and put it aside and roll the rest. For real have put 2k down in cash from cashed in coin on a new car before.... it adds up... but is heavy as f@#k !

#138 5 years ago

We looked at that dam thing all night trying to see a dot. Lol, wife was screaming "We are building a new cottage!" The internet on our phone barely works up there so it was like dial up speed back in the day loading the pages.

#139 5 years ago

We looked at that dam thing all night trying to see a dot. Lol, wife was screaming "We are building a new cottage!" The internet on our phone barely works up there so it was like dial up speed back in the day loading the pages.

That was like me last night putting on my Mr Magoo glasses and staring at those old steel pennies dreaming at least one said 1944 instead of 1943 on it.

Instead all I've got is some old tarnished metal.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I was a rides supervisor, which meant I just walked around making sure the ride ops were checking seatbelts and making sure they weren’t letting the hot chicks jump the queue, but we were always supposed to walk around with a broom and dustpan to help the park keep clean.

You realize they really didn't have"ride supervisors. "You were a park sweeper.

How else would they ever get people to take that job if they didn't boost the title to protect egos?

#141 5 years ago

Never. What am I gonna do with a penny?

I occasionally throw them out when cleaning the apartment too. I can’t be the only one.

#142 5 years ago

I pick up pennies. Or I take them as change. If there is a penny tray at the cash register, change pennies go in there.
    All the others go in a big cup at home. Once a year the local Cancer Service does a penny fundraiser, and I drop off the pennies there.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I pick up pennies. Or I take them as change. If there is a penny tray at the cash register, change pennies go in there.
    All the others go in a big cup at home. Once a year the local Cancer Service does a penny fundraiser, and I drop off the pennies there.

If I could give you
    a double thumbs-up,
    I sure would.
    Nice post.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Look what I just found!
    [quoted image]

Seriously?!? That's worth a lot more than $0.01.

#145 5 years ago

I'll bend over for a quarter or more. When I drop a penny, I pretend Not to notice. What I hate is when I drop a penny at the register and someone picks it up and gives it to me. I feel a little guilty. It really pisses me off when someone says "you dropped a penny" and expects me to pick it up. I just respond, "I know" and go about my life.

Edit: Last night I was at a 7-11 and my total was $3.01. I gave the cashier a $5 and was fumbling in my pocket for a coin when the she said don't worry about it. She then preceded to try and give me a dollar bill and 99 cents in change. Are you serious? I took a penny out of the little dish on the counter and said gimme my 2 bucks.

#146 5 years ago

No pennies on the ground anymore.
    Stopped circulation in 2013.
    But I will pick up quarters 1's and 2's.
    Screenshot_20180810-214109 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180810-214109 (resized).png

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

No pennies on the ground anymore.
    Stopped circulation in 2013.
    But I will pick up quarters 1's and 2's.
    [quoted image]

No penny Canadough, but pennies are in circulation in the USA.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Look what I just found!
    [quoted image]

Gotta look at these carefully, lotta low-lifes have been plating them to look like copper.

#149 5 years ago

I saw ~$1 worth of change next to a toilet in a public restroom. I did not pick it up.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I saw ~$1 worth of change next to a toilet in a public restroom. I did not pick it up.

Alrighty then...
    There are always exceptions

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-pick-up-a-penny-off-the-ground/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.