87 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by krivoap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 87 days ago

Everything you read says check all switches and wires before starting a pin. I’m curious to know how many real do this when they get a pin, or who just plugs it in to see what happens. Me, I’ve done both, knowing I should have done it the right way. What do you do?

#2 87 days ago

I check all board connectors first, then turn it on & hope for the best.

#3 87 days ago

I check all connectors, wires, boards, screws, nuts, bolts, etc. amazing what you find either in bottom of cabinet or loose. Of course I inspect cabinet, playfield, plastics and rubbers!

I usually then wait an hour or 2 if winter time (for condensation).

Then I power up and do diagnostics checks etc.

Then put cliffys on.

Then finally play few games.

Then add mods.

Then wax her up and clean glass and put her in her new home for longer term play.

#4 87 days ago

I just turn it on.

#5 87 days ago

Assuming someone secretly dropped off a game in my driveway and I know nothing about it (which never happens), it would depend. If it's a clean 6 month old Stern pro, I'm going to fire it up and play. If it's a 40 year old beater, I'm going to check typical problem areas first. Batteries, burnt/ loose connectors, blown fuses, stuff like that.

Pretty rare to get a game that you know nothing about. The vast majority of the games I've bought I've played first and looked under the playfield and in the back box. Know what you have before handing over the cash and you won't get any surprises when you get home.

#6 87 days ago

I’ll give it a quick once over maybe 1/3rd of the time I’ll find a broken wire. Otherwise power up and see what’s working and what’s not and start addressing as needed.

#7 87 days ago

Having important many games from Europe, I take my time....unless I am being an impatient child, in which case I convert the power, look for obvious issues, and then flip it on. Sometimes that doesn't go so well. Other times, it's fine. More often than not, patience pays a valuable dividend.

#8 87 days ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I just turn it on.

Me too. If it starts smoking or explodes, I'll know where to focus my attention.

#9 87 days ago

I check:

all fuse values
    power cord for damage
    loose debris near transformer & power switch
    clean jones plugs
    manually exercise all plungers for binding
    look for burnt coils

Then plug it in and see what happens and go from there.

#10 87 days ago

For any game in an unknown state, I always go through the game systematically before even flipping on the power switch.

For games that are new to me, I still go through it thoroughly to avoid potential future problems.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Post-Purchase_Checklist

I never flip a game on and just hope for the best. IMHO, that's a bit foolish. You never know if there's a loose part or wire somewhere that could potentially short something out and cause damage.

#11 87 days ago

On EMs I'll just turn it on and listen for coils locking on. Nothing can get burnt out that easily.

Solid states I'll do a lot more checking, since bad voltage or something could cause more more extensive issues

#12 86 days ago

For em's, i visually check each relay to make sure the switches are changing state, make sure any steppers move freely, look for burnt coils..then turn it on if it all checks out.

#13 86 days ago

I look for obvious issues; burnt wrappers on coils, seized steppers and more importantly, the mains lead aka power cord then fire it up and see what I have. Or not....

#14 86 days ago

It depends...having learned the hard way after powering on a game that was over fused and destroying a few boards...I now check for obvious damage and that the fuses are correct then fire it up regardless if it is NIB or HUO or routed

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 32.00
    $ 350.00
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 12.50
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Nerd Decals
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside