Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you miss your pool table?”

• Miss mine 48 votes
      28%
    • Not at all 81 votes
      47%
    • Duh... 3 more pins! 45 votes
      26%

(174 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4992[1] (resized).JPG
    3F78BDE9-EA72-46C3-BB4F-75B31506C044 (resized).jpeg
    B5B89A7B-315F-439D-B27A-C14A6B3C08BC (resized).jpeg
    040C3941-95DE-4B7C-A905-601C4A3B41F8 (resized).jpeg
    Pool table #2 (resized).jpg
    Pool table #1 (resized).jpg
    DSCF6792 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6791 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6749 (resized).JPG
    Gold Crown I #2.jpg
    Gold Crown I.jpg
    PR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpg
    Pool Table (1024x555) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1154 (resized).JPG
    20180203_102657 (resized).png
    20171219_094747 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 8 years ago

My pool table is located on the 5th level of our home and is a Brunswick gold crown 4 pool table at regulation size 4 1/2' x 9'. It's going on 25 years we have it. I almost sold it 6 months ago to make some space in the house since I have 3 other gamesrooms which are full with my 42 pinball machines.

bingos_090_(resized).jpgbingos_090_(resized).jpg

bingos_101_(resized).jpgbingos_101_(resized).jpg

bingos_102_(resized).jpgbingos_102_(resized).jpg

bingos_105_(resized).jpgbingos_105_(resized).jpg

NEW_PIC'S_111_(resized).jpgNEW_PIC'S_111_(resized).jpg

PR_TBT_SS_017_(resized).jpgPR_TBT_SS_017_(resized).jpg

2 years later
    #181 6 years ago

Pool always has been my number one favorite game. Don't get me wrong I love flipper and bingo pinball and almost every other sport and games possible, but pool was king on my list. I played from when I was 6 years old in 1962 and only took a break from the game for a couple of years in the early 1980's and then starting playing again in 1983 to 2014. I had a routine where I played every Tuesdays night for over 30 years and only missed a few Tuesdays in that time period.

I use to go pay to watch the pro's play at the West End pool hall in New Jersey and took lessons for a short period of time. You name it and they were there....Nick Varner, Mike Sigel, Allen Hopkins just to name a few and the list goes on. During the week there they had local tournaments I would get in but a lot of the pro's would attend and even with balls spotted I'd end up knocked out in the early rounds. I did love just part of that scene though.

Since I totally game up the past 4 years, I did try a few times to pick back up the cue and get back into the game again, but lately I've been less motivated with the game and seemed to not have the desire to put the effort back in to where my level of playing was. Maybe when I retire from my full time day job in the HVACR field I'll have some stamina to play again.

Love the game to death and glad I never sold my pool table.

cor-flp 281 (resized).jpgcor-flp 281 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Not only played with them, you look like a pro there!
    For me, if/when I ever get back into shooting, I'm thinking that I'll never be at the level
    that I once was. Mostly because of the very sharp angle shoots I had once consistently
    had success on making. Once I hit 50, the eyes slowly began to distant themselves further
    from 20/20. Perhaps it has effects on some other shots, but those pin pointing sharp cuts where
    the cue ball travels full speed, yet the object ball barely makes it to the pocket is what I believe
    will never come back. Still maybe at times can make those shots, but not so much where a
    little guessing isn't involved..

I started wearing prescription goggles in my early 50's like the professional athletes wore when my eye sight staring failing me for my pool game when my prescription standard eye wear wasn't working. The goggles worked like a charm and I could see everything sharp and clear and was a life saver for my pool game. I didn't look cool but the goggles worked and solved my vision issue and my pool was right on again. Finally just before I gave up my pool game four years ago, I had lasek eye surgery and my vision was 20/20 again and I was ecstatic since this surgery was the perfect cure for my pool game and off went the goggles.

I was in Florida last month and pinball/jukebox collector I knew from NJ for over 20 years had just settled in on his new home. It was just about an hour from my place in south Florida. He also has a Brunswick gold crown that he brought with him to his new home and called me to come by because of he was having a pinball party. I show up there and playing pool never entered my mind, since in my head I haven't played in four years and he hadn't played in 2 years, so I didn't think we would play at all.

After being at the party and just hanging around with the pinball crowd, my buddy asks me if i wanted to play some pool. At first my reply was hesitant and he knew each of has had long lay offs from the game and said lets just play for fun. I the past we had some real good matches against each other, but what happened was a total shock for me. I racked up and he broke and didn't make a ball.

I picked up a excellent condition house cue and just a like a light switch went on, I started playing like I never took a four year lay off from the game. We played for a little over an hour and I shot so well, I couldn't believe it. It was so strange to me to have a such an awesome hour of pool where everything clicking like a swiss clock. I was making shots and position without any problem at all. Even my buddy couldn't understand what he was seeing, since he was a bit rusty for sure. I can't explain why this happened, but it felt fantastic and I thought to myself my game is still near the very level it was when I gave it up four years ago. Can this be possible?

Anyway, I haven't picked up the pool cue since that day last month, but have been giving some thought to returning to the game of pool soon. Not sure when this might happen...but I will know when the time is right.

Are you the guy in the picture holding the pool cue?

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Looks like you might play straight pool based on the scoring beads. That's been my favorite game over the last few years.
    And you have a proper dart board! Well done

My Tuesday pool night format consisted of a match of Straight Pool, Nine Ball and 8 ball one week and then the next week it would be Straight Pool, One Pocket and a game called Scratches. The game of Scratches was where the first player to scratch 8 times in one rack wins the match.

Love the game of darts too!

#194 6 years ago

Is that a Gold Crown 4?
    Nice table!
    I have the same overhead light fixture in my pool room.

PR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpgPR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpg

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

If that Brunswick is 30 plus years old (which I'm very certain that it is), it's a
    very good table. After the 90s, they were non-US made and completely different
    material had been used. Like I had read from an expert. If it wasn't for their name,
    today they wouldn't even have a share of the market. I don't mean to speak negatively,
    just trying to give a "heads up"..

I like the look of the early Gold Crown 1 which were made from 1961 to 1974. Their lacquer painted wood sections were attractive to the eye really stood out nicely in the gameroom and in pool halls back in the day. They came in Tangerine, Gold, Blue and White. The problem with these near 50 year old tables is the Monarch super speed cushions need to be replaced on most of them. I have two pool buddies that both have the very early Gold Crown models. When restored the didn't paint then the original colors. They restored them to look like Gold Crown 3's and 4's.

I once owned an early 1960's snow white with gold metal pockets and gold metal feet National 4 1/2' x 9' professional table. I found this table just as good as the Gold Crowns and better for different reasons. I wish i never sold my National pool table.

1 month later
    #203 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm a big fan of the GC 1 as well. I think they are beautiful with classic retro lines. There is one I am considering that is a bit more than I want to spend. It was restored about a year ago to the original blue color. Here's a couple photos of it ...

The blue color is my favorite out of the GC 1. Looks nice.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-miss-your-pool-table?tu=Vic_Camp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.