New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109089)

Do you miss your pool table?

By Butch2099

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you miss your pool table?”

• Miss mine 48 votes
      28%
    • Not at all 81 votes
      47%
    • Duh... 3 more pins! 44 votes
      25%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 60 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4992[1] (resized).JPG
    3F78BDE9-EA72-46C3-BB4F-75B31506C044 (resized).jpeg
    B5B89A7B-315F-439D-B27A-C14A6B3C08BC (resized).jpeg
    040C3941-95DE-4B7C-A905-601C4A3B41F8 (resized).jpeg
    Pool table #2 (resized).jpg
    Pool table #1 (resized).jpg
    DSCF6792 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6791 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6749 (resized).JPG
    Gold Crown I #2.jpg
    Gold Crown I.jpg
    PR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpg
    Pool Table (1024x555) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1154 (resized).JPG
    20180203_102657 (resized).png
    20171219_094747 (resized).jpg

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 6 years ago

I still have my pool table. I thought about selling it but, it gets alot of use during parties and family get togethers. My wife insists it stays for those reasons. My 8 year old son enjoys playing it with me as well. As others mentioned it is nice to have diversity. I have 13 pins setup around the outside of the gamroom. Then the pool table, foosball table, and super chexx down the middle. I will say that pool, foos, chexx do not get nearly the play my pins do. But, I enjoy them enough to keep them. The really nice part is there is next to no maintenance with those things. With 13 games, I always have repairs to do.

#102 6 years ago

where's the "still have mine" option in the poll ?

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

where's the option in the poll "still have mine" ?

Me too! Its a great serving table at parties. I put a double layer of bath towels on top of the surface and have two 3/4" pieces of plywood I put on top of those. The heaveyweights pool cover then lays flat and its a great serving table that wont let warm dishes or spilled liquids get to your pool table surface. Right now it has parts and tools on it for working on some games to get ready for the winter.

It really only takes 5 minutes to convert it back to pool table use when people want to play pool.

#104 6 years ago

I took mine apart when the basement flooded last winter. I've been slowly putting it back together... been kinda stuck at leveling. I like some variety - got pool, ping pong, skee ball, and fooz ball in addition to the 6 pins downstairs.

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#105 6 years ago
    #106 6 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I found one for cheap and moved it myself.
    There's no way I'd ever do that again.
    What was I thinking?

Thus why people give used ones away. You want a pool table, buy a new one. Why do you think new pool tables come with free delivery? If not, nobody would ever buy one.

3 weeks later
    #107 5 years ago

T1RJ9yXmpGXXXPxkLa_121741.jpg

#108 5 years ago

If I had a picture of that on my pool table I would get rid of the table and just get a big mural pic on the wall like that.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

If I had a picture of that on my pool table I would get rid of the table and just get a big mural pic on the wall like that.

http://www.cart100.com/product/13133829360/Baby+billiards+billiard+posters+posters+picture+'+own+billiard+room+picture+frame+billiards+beauty+3C

#110 5 years ago

Hot...but its not a picture of her on MY pool table in MY man cave

3 months later
    #111 5 years ago

Going to bring back this thread again because once again, I'm at a cross roads. Getting rid of the table would allow me so much more room. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm all about diversity, especially with 2 younger daughters in the house. I had mine re-felted about 2 years ago now and I doubt its been used 20 times since. I have a good sized basement but with all the different items I have something is going to have to go and its clearly the biggest obstacle.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Going to bring back this thread again because once again, I'm at a cross roads. Getting rid of the table would allow me so much more room. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm all about diversity, especially with 2 younger daughters in the house. I had mine re-felted about 2 years ago now and I doubt its been used 20 times since. I have a good sized basement but with all the different items I have something is going to have to go and its clearly the biggest obstacle.

I think you may have already answered it. Its been used only 10 times a year? You will take a big hit on selling it but you can always replace it with a used table if you find yourself missing it. CL is always full with people looking to move them.

#113 5 years ago

My wife preemptively vetoed the pool table, said I was destroying the kids playroom. Pool is for people who don't wear glasses anyways.

#114 5 years ago

Just got rid of the pool table to make room for more machines. It was either pool or fozball. More people play fozball at parties so winner winner chicken dinner.

#115 5 years ago

The wife wouldn't let me remove the pool table. It only gets used at parties but meh, I kind of like the variety it brings to the mancave.

#116 5 years ago

Actually I'm going to size down to 5 pins so I can put a pool table!

#117 5 years ago

I haven't gotten rid of a pool table, but missed it after moving out of my folks place where they always had a nice table. We usually still play when visiting.

Currently shopping for houses and one of the front-runners is leaving a pool table behind in a big finished basement. That and my air-hockey table would take up a good bit of room, but lots of room still available for pins. I also have a MAME machine and darts, I like the diversity.

But if my pin collection ever got to the point where it was so big it was crowding out the table, I'd be so far gone I don't think I'd miss it!

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

T1RJ9yXmpGXXXPxkLa_121741.jpg

Now THAT'S a curve ball with class
    To address the question at hand though >>> As i have said before and others as well, a pool table not only adds variety but for some people is much more familiar to them!! For example >>> I've had Many people come around to the "cave" and, although they do play the pins/video games, i have, (and despite all the encouragement and explaining of how to play said machines) found that the pool table is quite often the center of attention (especially playing Kelly Pool). If you have the room for a pool table and it's getting regular use, then KEEP the bloody thing.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I think you may have already answered it. Its been used only 10 times a year? You will take a big hit on selling it but you can always replace it with a used table if you find yourself missing it. CL is always full with people looking to move them.

My parents bought it for me 20 years ago, its been in storage, moved several times, etc. So no big hit on selling. Yeah, maybe 10 times a year. I have 2 girls, 5 and 7, they have zero interest in it. Its not so much because of extra pinballs either, I have a dual driver, looking at getting another and those things are huge. Just picked up a Super Chexx and the kids love it, no real space to play it and pool at the same time. Plus I have 2 HUGE retail display cases full of sports memorabilia, a wine barrel and an actual wine display/rack from a liquor store, as well as my bar. Throw in the pins, redemption games and vids and I'm tapped for space.

#120 5 years ago

Anybody in Seattle/Tacoma looking for a decent 8footer cheap let me know.In answer to the OP...no I won't.

#121 5 years ago

1947 Brunswick anniversary 9ft will be going in the Gameroom as soon as the floor is done. It's in my shop in pieces getting refinished as we speak. Oh yeah and it's never leaving. In my opinion every Gameroom needs a pool table.

image.jpg
    #122 5 years ago

Great thread BTW

I have a slightly different but similar story. I'm 60 and grew up with a stick in my hand and a 9' Brunswick I bought when I was 17. i considered myself to be a damn good player until my eyes started to take a crap and with glasses on, I couldn't play the same, really disappointing.
    My gameroom had the table and 7 pins in it and once the table was gone I was able to put 14 more pins where the table was. I kind of miss the table, but now no way would I want shrink down from 21 machines in there back to 7. The table is still here, downstairs in storage keeping a bunch more pins company.

Probably should say hi to everyone here. I'm kind of new around here but have been on RGP for quite a while. Busy place here

#123 5 years ago

Hi walt, nice to have you join us. I had a 7ft and one pin then I got another then I wanted more so my table had to go. I really miss it and could have kept it with room for 7 pins but I got the sickness. My table is torn down and in the garage and would like to sell it. I see you have the same ailment.

#124 5 years ago

"You look beautiful, Fats, just like a baby, all pink and powdered up."

Picture-36.png

#125 5 years ago

There are times I miss mine. Pins won out. I will never....never move a one slate pool table again

image.jpg
    #126 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

There are times I miss mine. Pins won out. I will never....never move a one slate pool table again

image.jpg

YOU MOVED IT. What are you CRAZY!! My 3 piece still needed 2 guys on every piece.

#127 5 years ago

Whose signature is on those gloves?

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

YOU MOVED IT. What are you CRAZY!! My 3 piece still needed 2 guys on every piece.

LOL!!! Me and 1 friend...holy hell that was heavy. The table I bought (you see in the pic) also had the automatic ball return. So the base (with all the ball return guts) was equally as heavy as the slate. NEVER AGAIN!

#129 5 years ago

Arturo "Thunder" Gatti & "Irish" Micky Ward....Arturo is my all time favorite boxer!

Gattie.jpg
    #130 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I've got an 8' x 4' ,1 Inch slate base one piece, no ball return (has rails) and nearly had 2 hernias and a busted pooper trying to move the bugger with a mate

#131 5 years ago

Nice Pool Table for sale in Denver--give a great deal to pinsiders. Message me.

#132 5 years ago

Had one growing up. Loved to play it. Built our house so that I could fit a 9' table. Bought a load of13 pins and so much for the idea of getting one. That was 25 years ago and I really haven't missed the idea of having one.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Nice Pool Table for sale in Denver--give a great deal to pinsiders. Message me.

Sold...don't miss it yet

#134 5 years ago

Mine only gets used as a workbench for my pins

#135 5 years ago

Few shots of my table. Full 1" slate and took it all apart myself. Those were the days Edith.
    IMAG0026.jpgIMAG0022.jpg The only pool table Donnie and Bitch Olhausen have ever signed together. IMAG0015.jpgIMAG0016.jpg

#136 5 years ago

Anyone interested in it? PM me.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Anyone interested in it?

Tip: if you put it on CL you will get 10,000 of the flakiest tire kickers responding and wasting your time...though I did sell eventually. Apparently the part about "moving" a pool table gives people trouble. They all want it if I could magically make it appear in their basement.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Tip: if you put it on CL you will get 10,000 of the flakiest tire kickers responding and wasting your time...though I did sell eventually. Apparently the part about "moving" a pool table gives people trouble. They all want it if I could magically make it appear in their basement.

Tip find a local pool table moving company first and have that info available for the buyers.

#139 5 years ago

My pool table is my restrictor plate from buying more pins. I'll probably sell it once my daughter heads to college(she and friends use it all the time now).......

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Tip find a local pool table moving company first and have that info available for the buyers.

Tip: I did. They still squawked...

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Few shots of my table. Full 1" slate and took it all apart myself. Those were the days Edith.
    IMAG0026.jpg (Click image to enlarge)IMAG0022.jpg (Click image to enlarge) The only pool table Donnie and Bitch Olhausen have ever signed together. IMAG0015.jpg (Click image to enlarge)IMAG0016.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Dang, that looks kind of like mine, it's broken down in the garage now. If my garage were bigger I'd set it up in there.

IMGA0220.JPG IMGA0234.JPG
    #142 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I wouldn't waste my time with Craigslist or Ebay.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang, that looks kind of like mine, it's broken down in the garage now. If my garage were bigger I'd set it up in there.

IMGA0220.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMGA0234.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Yeah, looks just like it in lighter wood.

Very nice.

3 weeks later
    #144 5 years ago

Bringing back an old thread for a bit.

Long story short, my wife and I are building a home with a finished basement, and the main portion is 30' x 14' with a 14' x 10' "morning room" in one corner, so I am considering a pool table. I have ALWAYS loved "Valley bar boxes" - the good ol' 3.5' x 7' tables with the coin-operated ball returns and all.

I'm not looking to get on ESPN (read: I don't want an 8' or 9' table), yet I've noticed nearly no one ever owns a Valley table at home. Any particular reason as to why?

This is an area that I have little to no experience in (buying a table), so I was just curious. Thanks for any insight!

#145 5 years ago

I've never heard of someone missing it...

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Bringing back an old thread for a bit.
    Long story short, my wife and I are building a home with a finished basement, and the main portion is 30' x 14' with a 14' x 10' "morning room" in one corner, so I am considering a pool table. I have ALWAYS loved "Valley bar boxes" - the good ol' 3.5' x 7' tables with the coin-operated ball returns and all.
    I'm not looking to get on ESPN (read: I don't want an 8' or 9' table), yet I've noticed nearly no one ever owns a Valley table at home. Any particular reason as to why?
    This is an area that I have little to no experience in (buying a table), so I was just curious. Thanks for any insight!

See my pictures in post 141. 14x10 is to small for even a 7ft. Rule of thumb is 5ft clear on all sides so you can use all lengths of cues. My 7ft was in a part of the room where a support pole was at the 11ft wide mark which put it 3ft from the table, major pain to shoot around but the rest of the side was open to the room. The other side wall was 4ft 3inches from the table but you couldn't use a long cue on that side. The break end had a full 5ft and was nice. The other end was open to the room. The 30x14 would be nice for a 7ft table, a bar and a movie section. The 14x10 would be for pins.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

The 30x14 would be nice for a 7ft table, a bar and a movie section. The 14x10 would be for pins.

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

Have to get the house built first . Once it's built, I'll definitely be considering doing this. I'm good with about 7 pins, which there is another room in the basement for that I didn't mention. I like the idea of variety for if we ever have social gatherings, and I have a feeling a pool table will help round out the pins for guests.

Still, any reason why it seems like no one ever has the "bar boxes" ?? Are they one solid piece of slate vs layers or something?

#148 5 years ago

Bought another machine yesterday, guy tried to sell me his pool table for next to nothing, in the same state of I'd say 95% of those that buy one - covered and unplayed for years. Yucky.

#149 5 years ago

Mine gets played pretty much every weekend wife and I have date nights after the little one goes down for the night pool, jukebox and several beers makes for a great evening.poolpic.jpg

#150 5 years ago

You I wanted the space for pins but dang we play ours often and it's the gathering spot for all the parties .
    Plan b is to keep begging to dump the formal dining room and make it for billiards

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 349.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 103.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside