5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 206 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Indusguys
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you miss your pool table?”

• Miss mine 46 votes
      27%
    • Not at all 80 votes
      48%
    • Duh... 3 more pins! 42 votes
      25%

(168 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pool table #2 (resized).jpg
    Pool table #1 (resized).jpg
    DSCF6792 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6791 (resized).JPG
    DSCF6749 (resized).JPG
    Gold Crown I #2.jpg
    Gold Crown I.jpg
    PR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpg
    Pool Table (1024x555) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1154 (resized).JPG
    20180203_102657 (resized).png
    20171219_094747 (resized).jpg
    D6786F94-D1AB-4F20-8280-37B61A9AF688 (resized).jpeg
    cor-flp 281 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1152 (resized).JPG
    Gold Crown (resized).jpg

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 5 years ago

At the point where if any more keepers come in something would have to leave...Unless the pool table goes (a couch would get the ax too). Then I could probably fit 3 more
    I'm sure some of you have done that so let me ask, do you miss it? I keep mine for a little diversity in entertainment. However it really doesn't get used much except for being a place I can lay out all of the playfield parts when I'm shopping them.

#2 5 years ago

Getting rid of ours at the time meant getting a usable living room back and allowing us to expand from 3 to 6-7 pins.

Now that I am starting over? I would probably get another pool table. It didn't get a lot of play but, if you learn what to look for they are cheap. They are a nice bit of furniture. They have no real upkeep cost if you take care of it.

The real question is what do you have to give up if you got one?

#3 5 years ago

For me, it was the ping pong table.

While I miss it sometimes, I'm happy with more pins.

Pool tables just take up so much room. Heck, you need all the space surrounding it, too....you might be able to add 6 pins in the spot of one pool table.

Pete

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I keep mine for a little diversity in entertainment.

This is what the big picture is all about. But that being said I miss mine less than it was played. Having a pool table IS fun but the play ours got was very limited. Like dung said what are you giving up on both sides, weigh your options and future considerations. Good Luck.

#5 5 years ago

Butch -

We got our pool table several years ago. Although I don't play it much, I would miss it if it left. It gets used more when we have parties, but I still like to run a rack every now and then

On a side note, I am not far from you, so if you need to "store" anything instead of letting it go, let me know. I have references from others who have games in my basement. Not $100 games either.

It is an option

Chris

#6 5 years ago

Still have mine, don't think it'll go anywhere anytime soon

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Pool tables just take up so much room. Heck, you need all the space surrounding it, too....you might be able to add 6 pins in the spot of one pool table.
    Pete

My pinball room has 6 pins and I wouldn't even nearly be able to fit a pool table in it with clearance all around. I'm lucky I've got a pool table at work so I'm never tempted to take up so much room.

#8 5 years ago

I used to have air hockey, shuffle board, fooseball, and 21 arcade games....now I have 7 arcade games.....pinball took over.

I am considering selling off some pins and getting back air hockey.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah I think I was able to add 8 more pins yanking the pool table! I miss it but 8 more pins hell ya!!!

#10 5 years ago
    #11 5 years ago
    #12 5 years ago

I've been thinking about getting rid of my ping ping table and getting a pool table. I love pool!

#13 5 years ago

Before I got into to pinball I played league pool and owned three tables.
    (Only one set up)

Since the first pinball haven't missed them much, plus pool tables are easy to find in the wild.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

it really doesn't get used much except for being a place I can lay out all of the playfield parts when I'm shopping them.

Isn't it it's purpose? I know that what I do with mine LOL

#15 5 years ago

If it was up to me it would go and be replaced by pins.

#16 5 years ago

I took down my gorgeous one of a kind Olhausen pool table to fit my pins in and I do miss it. But as much as I miss it IVoted that I miss mine), I must admit, it's tough when no one is ever around to shoot some pool with you. Whereas with a pinball machine, you can have a ton of fun all by yourself.

That said, after reading this thread, I may just sell or trade mine. It's in absolute perfect condition and is the ONLY pool table in the world autographed by both Butch and Donnie Olhausen. They are the owners and founders of Olhausen Pool Tables.

What do you guys think, should I keep it, or sell/trade it? It's a $5000 table without the autographs so maybe $7-$10K with them?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've been thinking about getting rid of my ping ping table and getting a pool table. I love pool!

You could always get a ping pong top for the pool table! Problem solved

Chris

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

You could always get a ping pong top for the pool table! Problem solved

If I get a pool table, it will probably be a 9 footer. You can't really put a ping pong top on those. It's too big.

#19 5 years ago

AH, ok. I sit corrected

Chris

#20 5 years ago

My parents had a pool table when I was a kid, and I have had a few friends with pool tables. My experience has been that a pool table ends up being one big, catch-all storage shelf/table, above and below. Cleared off for use maybe once or twice a year for family get together or holidays. Just my observations….

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I took down my gorgeous one of a kind Olhausen pool table to fit my pins in and I do miss it. But as much as I miss it IVoted that I miss mine), I must admit, it's tough when no one is ever around to shoot some pool with you. Whereas with a pinball machine, you can have a ton of fun all by yourself.
    That said, after reading this thread, I may just sell or trade mine. It's in absolute perfect condition and is the ONLY pool table in the world autographed by both Butch and Donnie Olhausen. They are the owners and founders of Olhausen Pool Tables.
    What do you guys think, should I keep it, or sell/trade it? It's a $5000 table without the autographs so maybe $7-$10K with them?

Trade/Sell and get The Big Lebowski.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

My parents had a pool table when I was a kid, and I have had a few friends with pool tables. My experience has been that a pool table ends up being one big, catch-all storage shelf/table, above and below. Cleared off for use maybe once or twice a year for family get together or holidays. Just my observations….

I think most people treat pool tables and treadmills the same way...

We are fortunate enough to have a large basement so we were able to fit a good number of pins and a pool table all in the same "room" so to speak. I knew I wanted a pool table so we got a nice one. We don't play it all that often, but I'm not even considering dumping it for more pins. I like the diversity and at some point you just need to cap the number of pins.

#23 5 years ago

My pool table was enjoyed by me and guests almost as much as all of my games, though it did make room for 4 pins, the biggest benefit was to consolidate games into one area. I suppose the reason I don't miss yet because I don't play in a pool league -- it was awesome practice in the comfort of my home rather than a smoke-filled bar.

#24 5 years ago

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Isn't it it's purpose? I know that what I do with mine LOL

That's the only thing saving it right now

#26 5 years ago

I think about selling it all the time. But every family event its where everyone ends up from 9-3am. So while I play the pins more when I am home the truth is the kids and family use the pool table more for get togethers. Cant let that go even for my cherished pin space.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

At the point where if any more keepers come in something would have to leave...Unless the pool table goes (a couch would get the ax too). Then I could probably fit 3 more
    I'm sure some of you have done that so let me ask, do you miss it? I keep mine for a little diversity in entertainment. However it really doesn't get used much except for being a place I can lay out all of the playfield parts when I'm shopping them.

Didn't actually get rid of ours as it has been in Hubby's family since the year he was born. We did put it in storage about 5 years ago, and that is one thing we are working on...adding on to the house so we can add another gameroom so we can put the pool table back up along with getting the rest of the furniture out of the storage unit and getting rid of the storage unit (we have 2).

Phoebe

#28 5 years ago

I have one....but am getting rid of it. Rarely ever gets used. Toronto Maple Leafs themed Man Cave going to be sold......to make room for the pins.

The Man Cave 1.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0477.JPG

#29 5 years ago

I miss playing pool, i grew up playing 9ball and one pocket. Played it obsessively for about 10 years. Gambled constantly in a smoke filled dump of a pool hall (ah man the stories I could tell). Where I live now, no one really plays pool except for bar tables and 8 ball, I refuse to play 8 ball. If I had the room I would definitely have a table.

#30 5 years ago

The air hockey table is jammed in the storage area sideways. I need to donate it to my church or something. Storage rooms are for project pins.

#31 5 years ago

I'm actually getting a 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown 5 pool table in the near future and don't plan on ever giving it up as long as I have a gameroom. I'm even getting a Bonzini foosball sometime in the future as well.

You need to have some variety in the games you have. Having just pinball doesn't do it for everybody, it might do it for you, but its good to have other options. Having a nice table game is a must in my opinion and is a big crowd pleaser.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

don't plan on ever giving it up as long as I have a gameroom.

tell me this in a year of pinball

#33 5 years ago

I dig pool and guests, Women especially, do. It takes you a lot of space though.

#34 5 years ago

No, just took up too much space!

#35 5 years ago

I could only get a few dozen game in a year. Had to have the perfect mix of guests, be the right type of event, and have the available time. And I stopped playing solo a year or so after I bought the table. Pinball made more sense for me since it's a great solo activity, takes up less space, and is still great for multi player.

#36 5 years ago

I spent most of my young life in pool halls and love to play! I was able to finally buy an original 9' Brunswick Gold Crown I back some time ago. It fit perfectly in the game room with 7 pins and looked/played awesome, but as time went on I played less pool and more pinball... I still have the pool table in storage, but now have 12 pins in the game room with no extra space at all.

IMG_1286.JPG

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#37 5 years ago

I really hope I never turn into the pool table in storage type of guy. At the very least I would want to be the pool table in garage type of guy with the cars parked outside

For those few of us in this thread that love Billiards the Brunswick Gold Crown, no matter what version, is the table to have. If you had a pool table and it wasn't a Brunswick or at least a Diamond, that 's the problem, you didn't have a real pool table.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Pete

I'm still having to keep the ping pong table.....kids like it too much ( it is a great place to lay blanket for glass of and pinball parts too)......trying to convince my Son he doesn't like his arcade basketball game ( 2 player, side by side thing) ......would make a killer spot for my Alien, so I have time to work on him...( he's an absolute " no" at this point)......

#39 5 years ago

as much as i liked it, more pins was the better choice. can always switch back later

#40 5 years ago

My pool table is going no where!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

If you had a pool table and it wasn't a Brunswick or at least a Diamond, that 's the problem, you didn't have a real pool table.

I agree 100%!!! I have played on a lot of different tables during my life, but Brunswick was always the most solid playing table. Thanks for sharing that video as well. I idolized Willie Mosconi when I was a kid. He was not only a great player, but a class act as well. I used to love to watch him mop the floor with Minnesota Fats on ABC Wide World of Sports back in the early 70's!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#42 5 years ago

Mosconi was the best that ever lived. I used to study films of him back in my hustling days.

#43 5 years ago

My wife sold my pool table and when I protested she asked when was the last time I played it. The sad truth was it was about 1.5 years. My wife really needed the space so I lost that one. I never really missed it.

When it came time to get a pin it took up a lot less space than the pool table so I got spousal approval. I have got way more entertainment from the pin.

When my little ones get older I'd very much like to get another, nicer pool table than I had before. It would provide good bonding time with my two boys.

#44 5 years ago

I've got a 9 footer in my basement. I love playing straight pool, or 14.1. It takes up a lot of space, sure, but I love having the diversity. Without it there, I could probably fit 10 pins in the space..

Pool is social. You can carry on conversations or listen to music, even effectively watch a ball game. Pinball demands your full attention the entire time your ball is in play, which can last upwards of 10 minutes if you're having a game. I like to keep pool and darts around as a great passive activity.

It requires almost no maintenance. I try to keep the top clean, but keep some things stored underneath. I play in streaks, up until about a month ago I was playing for at least an hour three times a week. It's served pretty well as a poker table, x-wing miniatures table (nerd!), or as a table during shop jobs.

#45 5 years ago

Not a lot of votes missing it..lol

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Pool is social. You can carry on conversations or listen to music, even effectively watch a ball game. Pinball demands your full attention the entire time your ball is in play, which can last upwards of 10 minutes if you're having a game. I like to keep pool and darts around as a great passive activity.

Deacon hit it right on the head for me. I miss it for the social aspect of the game. Some nights we would talk more than shoot. My friends miss it more than I do since they don't seem to stay as late anymore.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Not a lot of votes missing it..lol

I didn't do the poll because I only miss mine sometimes. I don't miss it in the sense I'm looking for a new one. Right now that is.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well I have a beautiful 7ft slate American Heratige that's perfect with all the extras including an electronic dart board I could sell ya.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Pool is social. You can carry on conversations or listen to music, even effectively watch a ball game. Pinball demands your full attention the entire time your ball is in play, which can last upwards of 10 minutes if you're having a game.

Hit the nail on the head. Now when people come over everyone just drifts away and does their own thing and forget about music being played it interfears with the game sounds. Took my table down to buy more pins, still have in broken down but do miss it. If I had a bigger game room you bet I'd have one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pinball Haus
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 21.00
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 49.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside