New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175432)

Do you make use of the Upvote / Downvote post feature, why or why not?

By sevenrites

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Fytr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you use the upvote/downvote feature on topic replies?”

• Yes, I think it's a great feature. 39 votes
      37%
    • Yes, I think those who provide useful Info should get some type of credit for it. 30 votes
      28%
    • Yes, no explanation required. 30 votes
      28%
    • No, I am too busy to worry about it. 1 vote
      1%
    • No, people don't deserve any praise for contributing positive discussion to this site. 1 vote
      1%
    • No, I could care less about the feature. 4 votes
      4%
    • No, no explanation required. 1 vote
      1%

(106 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Its what I asked Santa for (resized).jpg
    youll get nothin and fckin like it (resized).jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I think the upvote/downvote feature is a nice addition to posts. So I'm just curious as to what others think. Reason being is that while it can't be taken completely seriously or used as a completely accurate example, it does seem to help form some sense of whether or not a person here offers value to the website or degrades from it.

My question was prompted tonight in relation to forum topics, and whether or not the OP actually takes the time to "thank" the thread respondents who contribute useful information, whether or not they don't care to rate the post in that way, or if they find it useful to help discourage off topic or ignorant responses that add nothing of meaning to the conversation.

Crap. I forgot to add "Yes, it's a great way to help put the trolls in their place and cement their legacy with a low favorability percentage" to the poll, and have no idea how to edit the poll itself. I suppose I'll have to make a post about that as well.

#2 3 years ago

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to downvote or upvote the previous post

#3 3 years ago

I like the upvote feature, I feel like nobody on any forum uses the downvote correctly. I've always felt downvotes should be used to handle trolling or posts that do not contribute. Instead it's almost always an "I disagree" or an "I simply don't like you" button. And often it's just another kick in the ribs to a post where someone's opinion goes against the hive mind (posts that hit -1 are a lot more likely to go further into the negatives). Nothing can really be done to fix that though.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I like the upvote feature, I feel like nobody on any forum uses the downvote correctly. I've always felt downvotes should be used to handle trolling or posts that do not contribute. Instead it's almost always an "I disagree" or an "I simply don't like you" button. And often it's just another kick in the ribs to a post where someone's opinion goes against the hive mind (posts that hit -1 are a lot more likely to go further into the negatives). Nothing can really be done to fix that though.

But the down vote literally means "I disagree".

#5 3 years ago

I don't really use it but I will make sure to thank someone in the thread or send a quick PM if they helped me with an issue.

#6 3 years ago

Yup. To indicate agreement or disagreement.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yup. To indicate agreement or disagreement.

And that's it in a nutshell. I agree, I disagree. At times, it is used to say you are a troll. But that is it. If you need to say something more severe, respond.

#8 3 years ago

I never use the downvote because it just seems to piss people off and can create lifelong enemies.

#9 3 years ago

Not worth it. Thread is a self-study in why the voting feature could use improvement.

#10 3 years ago

Hi
    I agree with (probably many others and) GotAQuestion (post-3, post-9) - the "downvote" should be a help (by the many pinsiders) to (the few) "officials": I would like the "officials" look from time to time who got downvotes - WHY - and then the "officials" get active on these "trollvoters".

I would like to have the OP NOT beeing able to "upvote" a post - just as a person cannot upvote his own posts --- the upvoting shall not be used to say thanks, greetings Rolf

#11 3 years ago

I use a downvote to show my disagreement with someone. I use the upvote when someone contributes to the thread in a valuable way be it joke or info.

I don't get upset at downvotes like some people who worry about their percentage.

#12 3 years ago

I use the upvote when people contribute or provide the correct answers to questions or if they post something that I find worth reading (technical info or funny)

I use downvote when someone makes a comment that de-rails the thread or if they aren't providing valid or correct information.

I don't think that the people who ask questions are using the upvote [enough] to "reward" those that provide answers and solutions to their issues and/or questions

#13 3 years ago

I don't post very much, but I do like to use the up/downvote. Like others, I also use it to agree/disagree with statements.

#14 3 years ago

Isn't that how we can tell who are friends are?

#15 3 years ago

Bump,Frolic! This has happened to me!!

#16 3 years ago

It's an obnoxious feature that they really should just get rid of.

Of course they DID get rid of it and everybody went apeshit so they brought it back, so what do I know?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I never use the downvote because it just seems to piss people off and can create lifelong enemies.

I just downvoted this comment.... because downvoting means I disagree with this statement. Now if you are pissed, or consider me a lifelong enemy because I disagreed with your comment, that is your problem. I guess some folks need a little thicker skin than that.

#18 3 years ago

I just turned off the voting feature so I do not see it and forgot about it. So much better, IMHO.

#19 3 years ago

I would prefer a middle finger option as well

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's an obnoxious feature that they really should just get rid of.

They should just keep the upvotes. They at least allow someone to say "this is good information".

#21 3 years ago

A downvote SHOULD be for things that don't contribute anything of value or blatant misinformation.

The drain post button is great for helping hide posts that contribute nothing to the thread. Down voting lets others see your disagreement. The nonsense ads in the marketplace are one of the best uses of the down vote IMO.

#22 3 years ago

My point is though that it should NOT be used to show disagreement. It should be more nuanced than that. Sure, if someone posts "clean your playfield with Novus 2 every day" they deserve a downvote because that's objectively a bad idea in all situations.
    However, if two people are having a discussion and both are posting facts that are true and useful, but they disagree with each other, they both deserve upvotes. They have both contributed something of worth. Things in life are very rarely only one way or the other, it's often true that two opposing views are equally correct and valid.
    A downvote SHOULD be for things that don't contribute anything of value or blatant misinformation. If you post something accurate, you don't deserve a downvote just because I disagree. Wax discussions have this problem frequently, as a quick example.

does everyone get participation trophies in your world too?

#23 3 years ago

Point out where I mention participation trophies.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I just downvoted this comment.... because downvoting means I disagree with this statement. Now if you are pissed, or consider me a lifelong enemy because I disagreed with your comment, that is your problem. I guess some folks need a little thicker skin than that.

I think you are missing the point.

Disagree with someone's opinion on Milliwax or say you think Pokemon Go is stupid? You may have some asshole follow you around for the rest of your life downvoting you.

It has all of the impact of being hit with a cheese puff but it can all be a bit silly.

And people need to stop whining about participation trophies. I'm pretty sure I got a few of them on swim team 40 years ago and it didn't warp me for life. People latch on to the dumbest, pettiest things sometimes.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You may have some asshole follow you around for the rest of your life downvoting you.

I already have this. And it's looking like I might have picked up a second one for suggesting the downvote should be a useful feature for sorting validity of information. It's definitely silly and it's why I hold the stance that downvotes should be reserved for pointing out bad information and not simply disagreement. Using it as nothing more than a middle finger button because I like Road Show and you don't (made up example) is completely useless and only contributes to more and more of a negative atmosphere.

#26 3 years ago

Reminds me of being back in school.

Have a gold star or detention.

All the likes/dislikes all over the internet just create and add to the narcissistic world of the selfie and constant comparison to others.

Love it

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It has all of the impact of being hit with a cheese puff

I like cheesepuffs.

(Hopefully, that statement scores me a few up votes).

#28 3 years ago

Sometimes I'm too lazy to type when I agree or disagree with someone.

#29 3 years ago

i downvote religiously.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You may have some asshole follow you around for the rest of your life downvoting you.

I upvoted your post. I'm the asshole that's going to follow you around for the rest of your life UPvoting you

#31 3 years ago

Yep, use it all the time,
    ...as if MY approval or disapproval of something is of any significance whatsoever.

#32 3 years ago

You get a downvote !
    You get a downvote !
    youll get nothin and fckin like it (resized).jpg
    Everybody gets a mf downvote today !

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

You get a downvote !
    You get a downvote !

Everybody gets a mf downvote today !

That joke should be old and suck...but somehow it still isn't!

#34 3 years ago

Its what I asked Santa for (resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago

I'll offer a downvote only if the post is overly inflammatory, or crosses "the line" of decency. People still do have a right to their opinion, some of us will agree and some of us see things 180 degrees.
    Upvote for posts that are helpful, provide good advice and info.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That joke should be old and suck...but somehow it still isn't!

Wrong. It's old, and it sucks. Downvoted.

#37 3 years ago

Point out where I mention participation trophies.

However, if two people are having a discussion and both are posting facts that are true and useful, but they disagree with each other, they both deserve upvotes. They have both contributed something of worth.

pretty much right there.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

...as if MY approval or disapproval of something is of any significance whatsoever.

Well the way I look at it is this - if someone selling a machine on here has 80-100% positive ratio, I'm much more likely to buy from them than someone with 20-40% ratio, who I'd definitely steer clear from. So I do think it's useful in those aspects for getting to know people on here in a way.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And people need to stop whining about participation trophies. I'm pretty sure I got a few of them on swim team 40 years ago and it didn't warp me for life.

And look how you turned out: A miserable, judgmental, self-loather that prowls a forgotten hobby's forum propping up your disfigured ego by passing judgment on the unsuspecting public.

The preceding message is an example of satirical hyperbole. I like Levi.

#40 3 years ago

I try to hand out the upvotes to posts that I find appealing, and downvote all the tripe floating around in the pinside broth. But downvoting seems like the ultimate in passive-aggressive nerdlinger behavior (especially when you notice the same muhfuhs downvoting every single thing you type!) so I'm trying not to engage in it as much.

All in all, it's a silly popularity contest.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

especially when you notice the same muhfuhs downvoting every single thing you type!

Yes, this is irritating, and although I don't think Pinside needs to immediately stop what they're doing to put some kind of fail safe for this in place, there should be something, and I think there is in fact something that stops you if you try to down vote the same person in more than 5 different posts. It's a daily cap though I think, so it can still be abused.

#42 3 years ago

I use them for all the reasons stated in the 800 other threads aboot this.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I use them for all the reasons stated in the 800 other threads aboot this.

Lol, sorry - I did search for topics before starting this one as I try to do before I start any topic, and somehow missed the 800 other threads or I would have chimed in on one of those. Plus this one has a fancy poll.

#44 3 years ago

The system is a fine system, but like everything else it's the users that fuck it up.

As said above, one issue is when you get those weirdo stalkers, usually from Brazil, following you around down voting everything you type but oh well, let's everyone know whom the losers are...if they didn't before. They can also be fan boys that jerk off all over a game and if you don't want to plant your seed in it they follow you. Or the people that PM asking aboot why you downvoted them.

Freaks man.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

pretty much right there

So you're saying that if two people are posting true, useful, factual statements that are at odds with each other then one of them deserves to be....? What exactly.

Can you not imagine a world where two opposites can be true at once? Is your world 100% black and white? Nothing is gray?

I recently saw two people disagree over which wax should be used. Both recommended equally valid waxes, and guess what - neither was the wax I prefer (Blitz 1 Grand). What should I have done in this situation? Downvoted both? No, I upvoted both for contributing useful brands that may be more accessible to players in different world regions.

#46 3 years ago

So you're saying that if two people are posting true, useful, factual statements that are at odds with each other then one of them deserves to be....? What exactly.
    Can you not imagine a world where two opposites can be true at once? Is your world 100% black and white? Nothing is gray?
    I recently saw two people disagree over which wax should be used. Both recommended equally valid waxes, and guess what - neither was the wax I prefer (Blitz 1 Grand). What should I have done in this situation? Downvoted both? No, I upvoted both for contributing useful brands that may be more accessible to players in different world regions.

no, if you didn't agree, don't up vote that you do.

#47 3 years ago

But I do agree that they were listing acceptable brands. Just not the one I choose to use. They weren't wrong. In fact they were providing information that benefits everyone, because the wax I like is hard to find, and not available in all countries. Their comments will certainly help international players, and I like when people benefit the others around them. True success comes when you raise up not only yourself, but the others around you.

So again, if two people are posting true, useful, factual statements that can benefit everyone and are at odds with each other then one of them deserves to be....? What exactly. You never answered.

#48 3 years ago

Most of my Down votes are for people being unnecessarily rude.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Most of my Down votes are for people being unnecessarily rude.

Shut up!

#50 3 years ago

But I do agree that they were listing acceptable brands. Just not the one I choose to use. They weren't wrong. In fact they were providing information that benefits everyone, because the wax I like is hard to find, and not available in all countries. Their comments will certainly help international players, and I like when people benefit the others around them. True success comes when you raise up not only yourself, but the others around you.
    So again, if two people are posting true, useful, factual statements that can benefit everyone and are at odds with each other then one of them deserves to be....? What exactly. You never answered.

asked and answered, agree up, disagree down.
    slightly longer version: agree- up, disagree- down, dont care- nothing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 15.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside