(Topic ID: 29766)

Do you lubricate your shooter rod?

By Crash

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Lubricate?”

• Yes 22 votes
      18%
    • No 100 votes
      82%

(122 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170228_205107 (resized).jpg
    #1 11 years ago

It looks like there are different opinions on this. If the plunger feels rough or gritty it should be rebuilt, not lubricated. How many of you knew this?

#2 11 years ago

My understanding is that pinball and oil/lubrication don't mix for the most part.

#3 11 years ago

Agreed with Crash. I take them apart, use steel wool to get all the crap off, clean out the assembly, change out the springs and you're good to go. No lube needed usually

#4 11 years ago

Ok.....I'll say what everyone will be thinking

.....only when she's not in the mood

#5 11 years ago

...but to take the question seriously.....no lube.

I would either try and clean it or just buy replacement parts (they are cheap enough). Even though it won't hurt the machine at that spot, I always keep any sprays/lube/oils away from the pins.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Ok.....I'll say what everyone will be thinking

#7 11 years ago

Just clean everything and change that sleeve.

#8 11 years ago

The general rule I've gotten from here about pinball machines and lube is:

Metal on metal = it's ok to lube, but metal on plastic = no lube.

#9 11 years ago

You don't want a greesy shooter rod. All that metal dust is just going to stick to it like glue. The assembly just needs occasional cleaning. It is meant to operate smoothly without lubrication.

#10 11 years ago

Can you add this response to the poll?

That's what she said

#11 11 years ago

The plastic sleeve on coils and parts like the shooter is the lube. Lube oil is generally for metal on metal, etc.

#12 11 years ago

Like Wolf and others mentioned that a general rule is Metal on metal = ok. You dont need much - just a drop on the assembly like slingshots. Metal on plastic = wrong.

#13 11 years ago

There are certain things i lubricate. I use a 6in1 lubricant to clean and lubricate the shaft. That is about it

#14 11 years ago

Rule #1: NEVER lubricate anything that goes into a nylon sleeve.

#15 11 years ago

Data East/Sega/Stern ball shooter housing use a bronze bushing so that means metal-to-metal contact. Those MUST have occasional oiling.

Williams, Bally, and Gottlieb have a metal shooter rod going through a nylon sleeve. No oil here. Clean the sleeve out with lighter fluid on a cotton swab. Then polish the shooter rod with either Brasso or chrome polish.

#16 11 years ago

It depends... Oh wait; this is actually a serious question.... Never mind then.

#17 11 years ago

I sprayed a shot of WD-40 on my shooter rod and then wiped it off. Much smoother action and bounce. I guess when WD-40 stops working in a couple years I'll spend the time to completely disassemble the shooter rod and replace the $0.75 sleeve.

#18 11 years ago

A

Quoted from S37VEN:I sprayed a shot of WD-40 on my shooter rod and then wiped it off. Much smoother action and bounce. I guess when WD-40 stops working in a couple years I'll spend the time to completely disassemble the shooter rod and replace the $0.75 sleeve.

and when the WD40 fumes catch on fire...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Data East/Sega/Stern ball shooter housing use a bronze bushing so that means metal-to-metal contact. Those MUST have occasional oiling.

Williams, Bally, and Gottlieb have a metal shooter rod going through a nylon sleeve. No oil here. Clean the sleeve out with lighter fluid on a cotton swab. Then polish the shooter rod with either Brasso or chrome polish.

That is what I do.

LTG : )

#20 11 years ago

I can't help but giggle when I read this post and responses.

#21 11 years ago

I'll use a light coat of wax on the rod after I polish and rebuild it to keep corrosion away. That acts as a kind of lube, I guess.

#22 11 years ago

I have heard in the past that operators would lube things to keep them moving instead of rebuilding them, but it is just a temporary thing and will end up gumming up anyway. Sort of like throwing saw dust in an engine so it runs smoother. Obviously not a good idea, but it will run smoother for a bit

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

I have heard in the past that operators would lube things to keep them moving instead of rebuilding them,

In the good old days. Probably. How much rebuilding are you going to do in a busy location ?

Keep them going, and pull into the shop for an over haul before going to the next location.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

In the good old days. Probably. How much rebuilding are you going to do in a busy location ?
    Keep them going, and pull into the shop for an over haul before going to the next location.

No argument here!

#25 11 years ago

I do. I use the same teflon grease (super lube) I use on EM steppers. VERY lightly. So light that if you touched it you probably wouldn't notice. The action is super smooth and I've never seen it attract gunk.

#26 11 years ago

I use wadding cotton metal polish on my shooter rod, and if the sleeve is dirty but still in good shape, some Novus 1 and a Q-tip. If it's in rough shape, I just replace it.

#27 11 years ago

No lube. Clean everything well, replace the sleeve and put the rod on my 6 inch bench buffer with a little polishing compound. Buff it out to a mirror shine. In a home use situation it should be a looong time before any other maintence is needed.

1 week later
    #28 11 years ago

I just polish the shooter rod real nice and clean the pins that have the cast bronze bushing and everything seems to work just fine.

#29 11 years ago

Oh, now I get it.
    Please leave the dirty innuendos at RGP.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

No lube. Clean everything well, replace the sleeve and put the rod on my 6 inch bench buffer with a little polishing compound. Buff it out to a mirror shine. In a home use situation it should be a looong time before any other maintence is needed.

Exactly.

Had a B/W game still dragging with a new sleeve...a few minutes on the bench-top buffer with some green rouge and now it's like day one.

Nice and shiny too.

#31 11 years ago

My Mrs cleans all my shooter rods.

#32 11 years ago

Nooo. Change the sleeve, and the springs, rubber. Only few $s, but it will work like a new one, for years...
    And...You can feel yourself like a professional repairman.

#33 11 years ago

It depends on what I'm shooting.

4 years later
    #34 7 years ago

I'm not sure what you all are talking about when you say a nylon sleeve. My walking dead premium's plunger has this brass looking thing on the outside, does that mean my sleeve is metal, or would there be a nylon sleeve inside of the plunger still?

If this is a metal sleeve, what kind of oil/lubricant should I use? WD-40 sounds like a bad idea because of the fumes and also because it is a degreaser and not a lubricant I've heard.

Thanks .

IMG_20170228_205107 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_205107 (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

That looks like an Oilite bush not brass. If it is Oilite it should carry lubrication in it. The best way to service an Oilite bush is clean it and leave it sat in some light oil for a while. Wipe it down before refitting.

#36 7 years ago

Homepin recommends using graphite powder

#37 7 years ago

I wouldn't use graphite powder on Oilite.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I wouldn't use graphite powder on Oilite.

We don't use phosphor bronze bushes so graphite on our shooter rods works fine.

I would also suspect that graphite will work equally well on shooter rods with nylon sleeves.

7 years later
    #39 6 days ago

Old thread. I use a drop of oil on the rod-so much smoother. I just like the buttery smoothness. It doesn’t add anything else.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-lubricate-your-shooter-rod?hl=goldant and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.