New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110704)

Do you love Full Orbit shots?

By mof

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by akm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-7.jpg
image-249.jpg
image-653.jpg
image-911.jpg
image.jpg
orbit.jpg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Not just ANY orbit shots...

I'm talkin' orbit shots WITH a spinner that returns the ball to the OTHER orbit, back to the flippers at FULL SPEED a la "High Speed"? (That's my favorite shot in that game, are there others like it?)

I'm wondering:

1. What was the first post-EM game to have a full orbit shot WITH a spinner that returned the ball to the other orbit and to the flippers (so you can repeat the shot)?

2. What game can you name with a Left OR a Right orbit shot AND a spinner that returns the ball to the other orbit and then directly to the flippers?

3. What's your favorite game with a full orbit shot to flippers + spinner ?

What games do I *NOT* want to list here?

* EM Games (however, if the first orbit+spinner shot *was* an EM, it would be cool to know which one it actually was)
* Games with a diverter that SOMETIMES diverts the ball to the POP PEN.
* Games with a half orbit shot that ALWAYS diverts the ball to the or other ball-hostage situation.
* Games with one-way gates that CONTAIN the orbit shot up top, and hold the ball in the top center of the table for a short time before it dribbles down.
* Games where you can only make the shot once and then it's not easily repeatable.

As always, if you agree with the choice of another Pinsider as having the "BEST" "favorite game" -- please give them a thumbs up. If we get 10+ popular votes, it will be time for a fun poll.

thanks!
-mof

#2 5 years ago

"Re-rippable spinner shots"

1986, High Speed
1990, Rollergames
1992, Lethal Weapon 3
1993, Star Trek the Next Generation
1993, Tales from the Crypt
1994, Tommy
1995, No Fear
1997, No Good Gofers
2006, World Poker Tour
2007, Family Guy
2010, Iron Man
2013, Metallica LE (sadly, the Pro has no spinners)

* inside orbit - closer to a horseshoe in feel
1995, Pinball Magic*
1995, Theatre of Magic*
1995, Johnny Mnemonic*

** upper flipper only
1979, Flash

#3 5 years ago

The only other game in my collection with a FULL orbit+spinner shot is the Right orbit shot on Whirlwind. I've never tried hitting it 2x in a row, I'm wondering if the issue is that the pops get in the way sometimes, and ruin the flow of the shot.

Yep, Whirlwind doesn't make the cut. The pops kill the flow to the flippers...

-mof

#4 5 years ago

NGG ! nice sound effect too.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

NGG ! nice sound effect too.

Very cool.

Looks like it has both an L and a R WITH spinners -- do they both ALWAYS return to the other side ? (no diverters?)

-mof

#6 5 years ago

Seawitch has a full orbit shot from either the L or R side (but only a spinner on the L flipper shot), but it's not repeatable from the lower flipper. Removing it from the list.

-mof

#7 5 years ago

I love orbit shots, but I don't like orbits that lack shot diversity (like a conditional gate or diverter to make things interesting). There's not much here for me.

However, white water seems to fit the bill (without a spinner) as does Cirqus Voltaire (inner orbit), TOM (inner orbit) and Pinball Magic.

#8 5 years ago

Double post

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

do they both ALWAYS return to the other side ?

A weak orbit will/can fall into the back of the putting green and come out in the pops.It's a bit like the secret passage on Wh02.Moderate flips will keep sending the ball around and around to your hearts content,if you're good with your shots.

#10 5 years ago

Sorry Whitewater.
No Spinner = No sound reward. I'm all about the sound rewards.

Do the TOM/CV inner orbit + spinner shots 'fit the bill' with the only caveat being they are not wide left/right to start? If so, I'll include them with an asterisk for "inside orbit entrance".

-mof

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

A weak orbit will/can fall into the back of the putting green and come out in the pops.It's a bit like the secret passage on Wh02.Moderate flips will keep sending the ball around and around to your hearts content,if you're good with your shots.

Fine by me -- sounds like the same action as High Speed.
-mof

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Sorry Whitewater.
Do the TOM/CV inner orbit + spinner shots 'fit the bill' with the only caveat being they are not wide left/right to start? If so, I'll include them with an asterisk for "inside orbit entrance".
-mof

Don't ignore Pinball Magic. It's a prime candidate for your list.

Also, No Fear I believe fills all the criteria.

#13 5 years ago

Provided you don't use the upper flipper, Shrek/ FG has this. With spinner and sound

#14 5 years ago

Favorite orbits:

Long & Short Track on NASCAR
Right Orbit on TFTC
Lit orbits on HRC
Right loop on TOTAN

#15 5 years ago

AC/DC does it from left to right depending on what mode is running. It also passes through the spinner.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you only want games that do it on every shot.

#16 5 years ago

Yes, I love them. I don't have one yet that fits all your criteria.

#17 5 years ago

Iron Man ?

Maybe im confused..

#18 5 years ago

1994 World Cup soccer. Most of the time the orbit drops it in the pops but when the travel is lit that shot gets back quick to the right flipper

#19 5 years ago

STTNG...but it only returns to the lower flippers if you can resist going for the Picard maneuver.

--Luke

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

Favorite orbits:
Long & Short Track on Nascar
Right Orbit on TFTC
Lit orbits on HRC
Right loop on TOTAN

I love them. We need more in games. This nailed it.

#21 5 years ago

Tommy - if the pitch is right, a hard shot to the left orbit (lighting the mode start) comes around to the right and can dead bounce of both flippers and right into the scoop (starting the mode). However, a couple of those modes raise a diverter post and would put a subsequent orbit shot into the pops.

The right orbit is a little harder to zing. And its too tempting to use the upper flipper on the way out.

Drum solo spinners on both orbits FTW.

#22 5 years ago

I love TFLE orbit shots; all 3.

#23 5 years ago

Twister has both left and right orbits when the magnet doesn't stop the ball. Lightning fast too so you better be prepared!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Don't ignore Pinball Magic. It's a prime candidate for your list.
Also, No Fear I believe fills all the criteria.

I reviewed game film for those 3 games. Can you repeat the shot over and over for TOM and PM ?

It seemed to me that the CV inner orbit could not be repeated.

-mof

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

No Fear I believe fills all the criteria.

No Fear seems to BEG for you to combo the orbit shot. Nice one.
-mof

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

Favorite orbits:
Long & Short Track on Nascar
Right Orbit on TFTC
Lit orbits on HRC
Right loop on TOTAN

Do any of these have a repeatable orbit shot with spinner and no diverter?
-mof

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How about the orbit in Indy 500? The zoom sound of a racecar speeding past you as the ball zips round the orbit is a pretty good sound reward IMO. Follow it with an upper-flipper slam into the turbo.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

How about the orbit in Indy 500? The zoom sound of a racecar speeding past you as the ball zips round the orbit is a pretty good sound reward IMO. Follow it with an upper-flipper slam into the turbo.

L or R?
Is there a spinner on the input side?
=)
-mof

#29 5 years ago

Sorry, should have clarified. The reason I was even asking rather than telling is because it has no spinner. But when you appeared to qualify the reason for a spinner being 'sound reward' I realised that spinners aren't exclusive in offering a good sound reward.

Only the left orbit goes the whole way round with optional upper flipper. Right orbit goes to saucer with VUK.

#30 5 years ago

I'm doubting that Seawitch and High Speed are the only two from the 1980's with a repeatably shootable orbit with spinner? I wonder what the first game with one was?

-mof

#31 5 years ago

I hate orbit shots - for the record.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

Twister has both left and right orbits when the magnet doesn't stop the ball. Lightning fast too so you better be prepared!

And a spinner on each side.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I hate orbit shots - for the record.

Hate is a strong word.I love opening up the orbits on AFM and CV's right orbit - just plain fun.

#34 5 years ago

For me the orbit shots are usually the beginning of the end (ball moving too fast, start flailing around, etc etc).

#35 5 years ago

Full orbits I could take them or leave them... I'm a bigger fan of mini orbits, like GnR's upper orbit or ST's Warp ramp.

#36 5 years ago

#37 5 years ago

I love full orbits so much that I rubber banded the upper left gate on my Firepower and Liberty Bell. I know it's not the way the designer intended but doing so added a little more variety.

#38 5 years ago

How about T2 sans the spinner....???....I love that shot....I think 5 in a row is my best..........Joey

#39 5 years ago

Rollergames has left and right loop orbit shots that are super fast and yes, both have fast spinners on them also. With the left orbit, you have the option to use the Upper right flipper to hit the Wall ramp for a combo shot award(very satisfying shot) and whatever else might be lit for the ramp shot (lock, Millions, Jackpot), etc. (Similar to WW and Getaway). When the orbits are lit by going thru an inlane, you collect a team award that counts towards lighting extra ball, special, etc. The loops are pretty fast but can be repeated on the Fly..

#40 5 years ago

Travel shot on WCS. It's particularly satisfying since it's linked to the theme and only happens when the rear gate is opened.

#41 5 years ago

+1 for rollergames, love the orbits on that one.

#43 5 years ago

If you make a complete counter clock-wise orbit on my High Speed, you had better be ready. If you snooze, the ball will go screaming right down the middle.

#44 5 years ago

Lethal weapon 3
Full orbit with a spinner on each side.

#45 5 years ago

Blackout! It actually has Orbit in the callout.

#46 5 years ago

Most people remove the upper left gate on WPT. This leaves you with two awesome full orbit shots, both with spinners.

#47 5 years ago

Flash. Full orbit shot from the lower or upper right flipper around the orbit and rip the spinner.
Early Steve Ritchie goodness.

#48 5 years ago

Would T2 qualify? The right lane can whip around to the left flipper pretty fast, and when hit consecutively, can really get some speed....

#49 5 years ago

By the way on a side note.....the Arcade in my hometown was called "Orbit's Pizza and Arcade". My class mate was Lumpy Lombardo, who's dad owned it. Every year for his birthday, he would close down the place and put all the games on free play for his party......talk about heaven for a kid in 5,6,7,8 grade!!!!!

#50 5 years ago

I like when you hit the long cast orbit on FT and it comes back full speed to the left flipper, you hit it again and it comes back even faster, then you hit it a third time and it just lifts off and bangs into the ramp.*
*There is a spinner, but it hits it on the way back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumbull, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brighton, MI
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside