Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stpcore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 5 years ago

This thread is an awesome read for me. Very interesting to see what everyone gravitates toward (or runs away from).

I will say this...for those of you that may think that the pinball podcasters are in it to drive huge money from a Patreon page I think I can speak for just about all of us and say that's not the goal at all. For those that have chosen to set up a Patreon or ask for donations it's simply to recoup a little bit of the cost associated with podcasting (equipment, monthly fees for hosting, time and rescources, etc.). The most valuable item that I donate to our weekly podcast is time. That said, we don't do our show because we want to "hear ourselves talk", "make big money" (or any money for that matter), or anything like that. We do our show because we enjoy pinball and it's a small way to give back to a hobby that has been so fun for us for so many years. We just genuinely like talking pinball and sharing our thoughts with those that are interested. That is it...nothing more. I just wanted to put some of this in perspective.

I can completely appreciate all the feedback here and I respect the hell out of all of it (for the most part). I would say that most people can find at least one pinball related podcast that calls to them. I encourage you to not judge all podcasts by one or two that haven't interested you. If you have never given it a try I encourage you to give some of these great podcasts a listen!

To the OP...thanks for starting this thread. It's a fun and informative read. Oh, and I think that Bryan Kelly listens to more podcasts than anyone else I know.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've listened to a couple for a minute or two, and to tell you the truth, I prefer the sound of a dentist's drill over what I have heard so far.
    Sometimes it makes me wonder what kind of hobby I've gotten myself into.

Curious as to what you mean when you say that because of listening to a couple minutes of a few podcasts it makes you question the hobby in which you are a part of?

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I assume that 99% of content is not relatable to him; I'm in that boat too

Is it the way in which pinball is discussed during podcasts just not your style? I'm trying to wrap my head around 99% of content not being relatable to you if you are on this pinball forum, as much is what is discussed on podcasts is also discussed here (Pinside). This thread for instance has been discussed as well. I'm not trying to be confrontational as I'm legitimately trying to understand. As someone that does cohost a podcast I find some of this information useful. Thanks!

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just like what's going on in the pinball industry right now.
    Yeah, not just that, but also don't care much to listen to people that act like they do, but have not much idea what they are talking aboot.
    I have to be really high or hungover as heck just to read pinside anymore, let alone want to listen to the ramblings of some overly enthused nerds.

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for your honesty.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Why? It's not stopping you from listening to them.

Nope.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure sure... Right off the bat let me just say I don't listen to any podcasts really as I'm aTV guy, although I guess i could watch the YouTube videos... My point is I'm not the target demo for this and I don't expect anyone to cater to my tastes.
    So the content I have seen, and I'm not super knowledgeable aboot all of them, falls in a couple categories.
    1. Explaining things I already know. Lots of newer people in the hobby which is great but seeing the game play, or lack of it and just talking aboot, WWF/LW3 pin is possibly the least interesting thing I could think of. Junk games that I didn't like when they were first out and don't like them now. Or games I do like and don't need to watch people play.
    2. Current topics relevant to prem+ models. Pro buyer not really interested in things prem+ offers. Toppers, colors, somone telling me what I need to buy doesn't jive with me.
    3. Mods, see above. Already had my fill years ago and it interested. If your video had pinstadium or otherwise color puked I'm it interested.
    4. Idiots. I don't need recaps of Pinside, I'm kind of here enough, or listening to somone that knows absolutely nothing aboot pinball.
    5. I had surgery again today and I'm in a lot of pain and drugs, so go easy on me.
    Sure I'm leaving out a bunch both sides. I'm sure people do a great job, I've even watched a video or 2, but just not in my wheelhouse. Rule and strategies is probably more the side I'm on, but I hear people talk about 2 hour shows and Jesus that sounds like torture.

First, hope your recovery is going well from your surgery!

Second, thanks for that very thorough and articulated reply. When you explain it the way that you just did I can understand better how you feel. I think the main thing that you stated that immediately jumped out at me is that you are more of a TV guy and not really drawn into podcasts in general. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. We are kind of similar that way because I didn't even realize what a podcast was until a couple of years ago. Thanks for taking the time to share.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No way!
    Although there are other things I'd rather do with my time, when I'm at work pinside is much more relaxing than listening to the endless stories from a deaf 91 year old in your face man with the shaking hands who just happened to forget his hearing aid today so he could not hear a word I would say. I bet he would be a perfect podcaster.

Maybe he didn't "forget" his hearing aid. I kid...

#313 5 years ago

If some of you are considering giving Special When Lit Pinball Podcast a listen we'd like to share with you our interview with Brian Eddy of Stern Pinball that took place a couple nights ago. Brian came in studio for the first podcast of his career and we had a lot of fun talking with him. We understand that our style may not be for everyone but we certainly enjoy offering content to those that care to listen.

Thanks to everyone that supports the podcast community and/or offers respectable advice/feedback.

http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-28-brian-eddy-stern-pinball

Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpgBrian Eddy 1 (resized).jpgBrian Eddy 2 (resized).jpgBrian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    #326 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

That interview was on-point!
    I was hoping you'd ask who did the writing for the callouts and such for MM, the humour in that game is so well done.
    Any ideas?

I know that Tina Fey did some voice work on that game. Not sure how involved (if at all) she was in the creative process.

Thanks for listening and for the feedback.

1 week later
    #497 5 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Great recent Holiday Special episode of Special When Lit. Amazing how many voices they got on the episode and all the work that went into it. Fantastic listen if you get the chance!

Thanks! Lots of work went into that and I appreciate the nice words. We had 40 people on that show including Zombie Yeti, Chritopher Franchi, Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies), Jersey Jack, Chuck Emery (Spooky Pinball), Zach and Greg (SDTM), Marty and Ryan (Head2Head), Kaneda, Jack Danger (Dead Flip), George Gomez, Gary Stern, and more. Fun listen regardless of what podcast you listen to as so many contributed. Link below if anyone cares to listen. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-30-holiday-special

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stpcore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts?tu=stpcore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.