Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 5 years ago

I listen to a variety of podcasts during my daily commute and when I’m working on pinball projects (usually on weekends). Of the pinball related ones I most consistently listen to:

Slam Tilt! (guilty pleasure #1): My fav I like the expertise and tech knowledge they bring to the show and their campy attempts at humour. Would agree that they seem tired lately and should take a step back. I hope they keep at maybe once a month or so. Would love a tech focussed podcast with Zach and Greg?, those guys really know their stuff.

Head2Head: very well done and can be good to great. Don’t mind a long podcast if there’s a reason for it. Not a fan of the negative slam the top 100 segment since they rarely have enough experience on the games it’s just a farce and a waste of time. Lately Martin has sounded like he’d rather be somewhere else so maybe it’s time to ease up a bit for these guys as well.

Special K: I auto download this so I can listen to episodes he deletes after he sobers up. Which is of course one reason he deletes episodes... His interviews are generally quite good he’s not afraid of putting folks on the spot a bit (without being too rude) which can lead to some compelling listening. However I can’t tolerate his solo episodes at all. It’s like you’re stuck in his head while he loops through the same boring negative crap over and over and over. Not a fan of how he conducts himself personally either, he lacks (necessary) healthy boundaries. My advice for him would be to stop drinking altogether.

I guess I’ll be in the market for a new regular once Slam Tilt! goes on hiatus. Any suggestions for someone who likes the repairs and technical topics?

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

K's is the only one unless one of the other shows have a guest I want to hear. There is a reason he won the TWIPY. To all the people making comments about how he talks or pronounces words feel free to upload a clip of yourself doing a podcast so we can hear the correct way. I respect anyone who does a podcast cause I surely couldn't do it and I would never make fun of how they talked regardless of whether or not I liked their podcast.

You sound very “fustrated” by these criticisms...

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Since I haven't seen anyone mention it (after skimming the thread) I will mention Spooky. Without them, would we have all of these podcasts? Yes, I admit, I do skip through the EM dungeon but there is something warm about a father and son doing a podcast together. As a Dad, it makes me smile. Rock on Charlie and Bug!

Forgot about Spooky, though it’s more of a “pinball manufacturer lifestyle” podcast than anything else, I do enjoy listening.

Also love the EM Dungeon - I had it on in the car the other day and my son is “what are you listening to?!?”

#277 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Special When Lit has quickly become my favorite. Anyone who hasn't listened should give them a try.

I just started to listen to their latest episode. Unfortunately after 40 minutes of them discussing a bunch of non-pinball stuff and recapping their last two episodes, sprinkled with a healthy mix of passive-aggressive whining from one host about how Special-K stole their interview guest "but I'm fine with it" -I'd had enough. I switched over to the lastest Slam Tilt! episode instead.

Is there a particular episode of Special When Lit that you would recommend as being a better "first listen" than the current one?

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from daudioguy:

I'll be live (via Skype) on the Buffalo Pinball Twitch Podcast starting at 8PM tonight Dec 14th. Going to chat and share audio clips of the 28 pins that I've contributed to. This stream will end up on YouTube if you are interested in a sound guy that never worked for Williams.

REACTOR 4-ever!

...oops, not a pin.

#325 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

If some of you are considering giving Special When Lit Pinball Podcast a listen we'd like to share with you our interview with Brian Eddy of Stern Pinball that took place a couple nights ago. Brian came in studio for the first podcast of his career and we had a lot of fun talking with him. We understand that our style may not be for everyone but we certainly enjoy offering content to those that care to listen.
    Thanks to everyone that supports the podcast community and/or offers respectable advice/feedback.
    http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-28-brian-eddy-stern-pinball[quoted image][quoted image]

That interview was on-point!

I was hoping you'd ask who did the writing for the callouts and such for MM, the humour in that game is so well done.
    Any ideas?

#328 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It was written by Scott Adsit and Kevin Dorff who were members of The Second City improv troupe, which Tina Fey was also a member of.

Well that explains it. Hire those guys again please!

#330 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah they need to hire a bunch of young, hungry, comedic performers again. They're cheap and best case scenario they break out and it's a selling point later.
    Deadpool was written by Brian Posehn and had some notable voice actors. So maybe they're realizing that investing a little money into the writing and voice acting can pay off. Then again, Deadpool didn't set the world on fire because it wasn't funny/adult enough. It's wild that Medieval Madness is more raunchy than Deadpool.

Yes. DP was a miscalculation on the source material IMHO. Should have an adult mode.

I tend to think that it's ridiculous to expect all new pinball games to be completely asexual in nature. Look at any other popular media (Movies, TV, god help us music) and it's filled with sexuality and sexual themes. Why does pinball have to be this antiseptic wasteland of banality? That's not its heritage and not every game needs to appeal to every player anyway, they already don't so if it fits the theme, then why the heck not?

#345 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Is his latest episode worth listening to or is it just another Stern worshipping session? Only got a few minutes into it...

It's complete and utter garbage, like most of his non-interview opinion pieces.

1 week later
    #516 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

30 minutes of pinball "hype" buying advice from a guy that CAN'T BUY ANOTHER PINBALL MACHINE was kind of a joke. As if the self proclaimed "greatest marketer in the world" really had some kind of insight that anybody didn't already know and realize in this pinball hobby?

Mostly agree. I guess not everyone is as clear in their thinking/understanding of these things so maybe it was useful to spell it out.

The HUGE thing that Special K misses about the hype train is that it can be really FUN to be on it! ...and that's the whole point, isn't it? Spend your money how you like and if jumping on the pre-order LE bandwagon sight-unseen is your thing, go for it!

Honestly, I don't see Special K actually enjoying much related to pinball these days, except his nipples get hard if he can find or manufacture a "scandal" to focus on. His idea of humour is always cringy as hell too. That H2H laugh track is just stalkerish/creepy - and he wonders why Ryan might not be his buddy anymore? He seems to be envious that H2H have a genuine blast doing their show and he, well, doesn't. Hard to party by yourself I guess. I kind of pity him when so often his behavour is a huge cry for attention/help.

Having said that, when he's upbeat and professional it's a much better experience for everyone involved. Since he's apparently not going to go away anytime soon, here's my advice for improving the show: Don't try to be explictly funny, not your strength. It's okay to be positive about the hobby while still being "realistic". No need to make anything personal, keep it professional. Try not to dwelve on the negatives excessively, everything in life is a mixed bag of good and bad. Find a regular partner or two to join you, the shows with others on them are always better and it's a lot easier to have fun with someone else to bounce energy off of. Oh, and the biggy, avoid compulsively posting episodes in the "heat of the moment". Sleep on it and then decide if it meets your criteria before posting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.