Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 5 years ago

Yep. I've cut down on the number I listen to since I started the thread below a couple of months ago, but I still follow 6 or so.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-podcasts-fatigue

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I tried to listen to the podcast that cannot be named. Never heard so much bitching. Ironically, half of it was bitching about other people's bitching. Maybe I chose a bad time to start listening or maybe just too much of a primadonna for my liking.

The K-man does tend to bitch a bit, but on the flip side, he speaks his mind and is not afraid of pissing off the various pinball manufacturers as most other podcasters seem to be. He also says a lot of positive things too, but these seem to get overshadowed by his reputation rightly or wrongly.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Too much negativity on his podcast.
    The thing that rubs me the worst with him is he'll pump and promote a new game, flip his pre-order for cash, then either forget about it is trash it in later episodes. He has a good format and "radio voice", but I just don't thing he's sincere or even a very good person.

Interesting. Personally, I don't doubt his sincerity at all. I don't always agree with his views (particularly on games as he's not really an avid pinball game player) , but he's informative, has a good marketing sense, and is entertaining most of the time.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I agree, Nate was always very professional.

I'm a big fan of Nate's Coast2Coast podcast and wish he still had the time to do them more frequently.

My one wish (and I fully realize that this is a double edged sword) was that he was a little less risk averse in his interviews and information provided. Tended to ask too many "softball" interview questions and provide less than a completely objective business/games perspective.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheCreature:

I started listening to Nate. Loved C2C back in the day. Was sad when the production dropped off.
    Then i found K-man. My favorite by far. I don’t always agree- but most of his points are well reasoned and he’s not afraid of controversy. The sheer volume he puts out is amazing. I find him entertaining. I think he’ll be a two-time TWIPPY winner.
    Also love Greg and Zach from SDTM.
    For me- it’s about personality and information. These 3 podcasts have it in spades. No offense to any other podcasts- but I’m not as entertained as I am with these guys and after a while it becomes over-saturation. Not too interested in tournament play or anything like that. I like the business talk. I like the opinions of machines new and old.

+1

I like the SDTM YouTube episodes, but have stopped listening to Zach's TWIP podcast as it's just too dull (and redundant) for me.

Although their episodes are typically REALLY long, I like Head2Head as well for the information and perspectives Ryan C and Martin ("Motty") provide.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

People seem to think if you type kaneda you will get moderated.

I have twice (recently) including a thread eject. Just for mentioning his name and podcast.

Silly in my opinion, but I don't control Pinside so it is what it is.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

... Just wanted to say thanks for those creating content. Hosts, guests, everyone involved.
    I really do enjoy the business side of the discussion, would love to see the numbers of all the companies. Deep dive on the games are good along with playing tips. Fun segments always welcome. Things I personally am not interested in... drama, tons of tournament talk. ...

Agree.

Thanks to all podcasters for all the time and effort you put into each of your shows!

And ball by ball, game by game, tournament recaps as well as tournament/IFPA rules discussions are usually excruciatingly dull for me.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

... Slam Tilt! (guilty pleasure #1): My fav I like the expertise and tech knowledge they bring to the show and their campy attempts at humour. ...

I think Ron and Bruce at Slam Tilt provide the best all-around tech advice for solid state and newer games. They are true pinball "geeks" and seem to really know early Bally and older Stern games inside and out. I also appreciate their extensive gameplay knowledge of non-EM games.

Unfortunately (for my interests), they probably spend half their show on tournament related talk. I also wish that they weren't so dismissive of Pinside as a whole and a bit more open minded regarding certain aspects of the hobby. They've earned their pinhead stripes though and I can fully understand them wanting to take a break from weekly podcasting. I don't envy Bruce's work schedule at all in owning, managing, and maintaining a pinball bar; that has to be brutal!

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Listening now....oof.
    I start to cringe when he sets up a bit. Going movie Dickie Goodman is almost as painful as his Tony voice.
    He needs to stick to what he does best and drop the bits.

Agree. His "Master" and "Tony Montana" characters are tolerable in small bits only (<30 secs every once in a while). "Less is MORE" applies here.

Please dump the sound clip phony interviews altogether. They're just bad. Definite fast forward material.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And when he calls Crazy Levi “Leveee”

Levi has stated that the correct pronunciation of his name is Lev - ee (rhymes with heavy).

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

But judging by this thread people make a coffee or get a beer. Sit down in their lounge room and listen to podcasts like it's TV show or a movie. I still don't get it.

I commute. A lot. My thanks to you and Martin for helping to make it better. Great interview with Lyman!

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me. As long as your post does not break any Pinside community rules, it’s cool. ...

Well now ... there are numerous pinball podcasts worth listening to (IMHO of course), but if I could only listen to one, it would be Kaneda's. It's often far from perfect, but it's the best combination of information, objective opinion, and entertainment in less than an hour typically.

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kolchak357:

The Pinball Podcast - I miss Don, but still enjoy the show. Opening bit of "what they have been doing in pinball lately" goes on a bit too long for me. But I listen to every episode.

Their "What have you been up to?" opening segment became WAY too long to hold my interest. I stopped listening to this podcast after Jeff and Jessica typically spent the first 45 min of each show recapping unimportant stuff such as every game they had played, where, and with whom. They also seemed to lose their energy for doing the show at some point. Too bad as I had been a long-time listener, but it made my podcast list downsizing easier.

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

For some reason, listening to people talk about the details of how they played in a tournament is like listening to someone give the nitty gritty details of a dream they had - for like 30 minutes. For me, painful.

lol - so true for me as well. But admittedly, I'm not a tournament player.

AND another plus for me re: Kaneda's podcast - NO tournament talk! Thank you Chris.

#318 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Special When Lit has no tournament talk, either. And they're good dudes. And it's a super high quality show. Win-win all the way around

Yep - that's one of the things I like about it too. Good podcast and they're from my former stomping grounds.

#359 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

OK defenders of K, explain the value of that episode.

I'm a fan of Kaneda's podcast, but the latest Jersey Jack episode got old VERY quick. Similar to his Master and Tony Montana segments - a little goes a LONG way. I wish he would just dump this stuff from his show. Or at least make these segments much shorter.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

... Listen Kris, here’s the deal with Pirates. It’s a phenomenal game; players know this, and non-owners know this. Your unwarranted targeting of this title is getting ridiculous. Think of JJPOTC like SFII. The more SFII evolved, the more characters got introduced. And learning new characters, techniques, and strategies were a huge part of playing SFII champions edition, alpha, and capcom vs SF. That’s how you need to approach JJPOTC. Learn the basic structure of the game (which is way easier than you make it out to be), then pick a character or two and stick to them until you really start picking up the pieces and peeling all the layers the game has to offer much like all the SFII games.

One of Chris's weaker points for me is that he's not really a pinball "player". As such, I don't think he really plays games enough or in a suitable (ideally home) environment to properly evaluate them. Accordingly, I feel he has unfairly judged Houdini to be a bad game as well. Ironically, he apparently is in agreement with Hilton on this particular opinion.

#399 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Looks like Kaneda deleted yesterday's JJP episode.

This is why I have his podcast set to automatic download. Never miss out on the occasionally deleted "Oh shit!" second thoughts cast!

#452 5 years ago

Just finished listening to Chris's latest episode from this morning. Whoa. That was ... something. I like the positive, happy Kaneda much more.

Don't be mean Chris. Think happy seasonal thoughts like ...

Oktoberfest!!!

#458 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

so I'm an avid supporter of fellow NY'ers and gave the latest podcast a listen. For anyone who cares - impressions of this Kaneda guy:

Good takeaways and points.

FWIW, if this was the first episode of Kaneda's podcast that you've listened to, it was far from one of his best IMHO. Too much repetitive ranting as in some past drunk episodes of his.

#475 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

Then what's Batman 66's excuse? It's a good game with a good theme? ...

No - it's a good game with an EXCELLENT theme!

#477 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Damn 1500 is very low imo bc to me that game is just so good. I'm surprised. I wonder what the numbers on WoZ or hobbit are to compare. Did JJ comment on that number?
    I'm continuing to listen to earlier episodes of this guy (kaneda) and it's much more calm/less trivial comments about pinsiders and he makes a lot of good points that I agree with. I def don't like the game interviews with sound clips though. Enjoying it.

Enjoy - better late than never eh? Only 293 episodes (not including deleted ones) to savor.

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I actually thought the hype one was decent, as someone who doesn't go after the all the latest games.

I thought it was an interesting episode as well. I've definitely succumbed to the hype train in the past and regardless of the fact that Kaneda is unable to own more than one game at a time himself due to space limitations, I think he raises a lot of good questions that many of us in the hobby should be asking ourselves.

I do agree with iceman regarding the "CEO Dave" episodes though in that I've found them to be boring for the most part. Enough with the pinball company over-analysis already!

1 month later
    #540 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

.. Big K killing it.

Yeah - good info and entertainment overall. A lot more time invested in playing and understanding games by Kaneda would be nice rather than simply condemning them based on limited gameplay as he has on some.

Oh ... and dump his "Master" too. No matter how that has been presented, it has been hard to listen to.

#552 5 years ago

LOL

#559 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I wouldn't say he doesn't know anything about them. I think he's expressing what many feel about JJP Pirates and that it's intimidating and hard to follow when you first start. I would agree with him as when I first played it I had no idea what the __ I was doing. Therefore, he's starting off with something i can relate to however he just needs someone who knows what's going on to help. Hardly something I would write him off for. ...

I agree that Kaneda's pinball opinions aren't his strongpoint, but they would be more impactful if he were more of a true player. As it is, he seems to try out newer games, but not play most enough to form a fully informed opinion beyond initial impressions, casual observations, and what others report. For example, Kaneda formed a negative opinion about Pirates from playing one in a NYC bar that was one of the first locations to have one. While he has admitted to knowing nothing about its code or shots, he has always since complained about the complexity of the game (22 characters to choose from, too many inserts, etc.), which ironically, is its greatest strength for the majority of those who own one - home collectors. To Kaneda's credit, he has asked for a JJP rep or someone familiar with it to explain to him why it's such a good game. Unfortunately, until someone does, he'll probably never appreciate the game's qualities as, unlike the typical pinhead, he won't invest the gameplay time on his own into learning how to truly enjoy it.

#564 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The way he reacts to games is a good barameter of how the casual or standard non die hard would. My initial reaction on jjp was the same. When I had people over for Christmas I literally had someone not approach my pirates bc they were overwhelmed by it.

Which is all well and fine except his podcast is geared to and listened by pinball enthusiasts and he expresses STRONG opinions about games. Opinions that would be of much more value if he spent a little more effort on doing his gameplay homework (including understanding the basic objectives and code features).

Your Christmas guest experience with Pirates is, unfortunately, typical for most non-pinheads who look at any of my newer games. Too many flashing lights and overwhelming playfield artwork/features leave many of my gameroom visitors hesitant to press the start buttons. Chris makes a good point in citing this as well in his constant urging for manufacturers not to rely on animations and artwork so much in creating a "magical" pinball experience.

2 weeks later
    #578 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It has nothing to do with flashing lights and art it has to do with poor design. Any non-pinhead can drop coins into an AFM or a Stern ST and know what to do on the first ball.

My post didn't attribute non-pinheads' confusion simply to just flashing lights and artwork, but regardless, I disagree with your contention that it's due rather to "poor design". There is A LOT going on with nearly all newer pinball games and non-pinhead visitors to my gameroom seem to universally be overwhelmed regardless of the game they step up to and play - including the Star Trek Premium that I own.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.