Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

1-1.5 hours. Covers the topics the blog covers.

Kinda makes me not want to listen then. But I appreciate the blog for what it is. I like being able to quickly read all the major news. I don't need an audio version of reading the news headlines from the blog I already read.

After years of listening to the Giant Bombcast, I get why some people are into the 3 hour shows as being white-noise like while working on machines (although I think covering the video game industry gives them a lot more fodder for conversation than covering the pinball industry). That pod scratches that itch for me, so I'm not really looking for it in a pinball podcast.

In a pinball podcast I mostly want just the major news, interviews with interesting people, and a splash of drama to keep things interesting. If Kaneda would just chill out about a few certain things and post less frequently, I'd actually recommend his podcast. Currently I don't recommend subscribing to any pods to anyone who asks me. I'll name the majors and suggest trying them out. I might name particular episodes with good interviews, but that's about it.

#252 5 years ago

"deleted post"

#253 5 years ago

As most of you know I did one of Special K's podcasts. Take the guy for what he is. If he is a tool to you, then he is a tool. If he is ok in your book, then he is ok. I take him for someone who knows exactly what he is doing and he lives by the theory it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. He is actually a pretty smart dude, but his tactics do tend to backfire on him and he hates to lose. To me, he and I made our peace. I still listen to the podcast on occasion. Look at it this way, his podcast keeps rolling on.

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

As most of you know I did one of Special K's podcasts. Take the guy for what he is. If he is a tool to you, then he is a tool. If he is ok in your book, then he is ok. I take him for someone who knows exactly what he is doing and he lives by the theory it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. He is actually a pretty smart dude, but his tactics do tend to backfire on him and he hates to lose. To me, he and I made our peace. I still listen to the podcast on occasion. Look at it this way, his podcast keeps rolling on.

Which episode did you do?

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What you get with TWIP is pure news and substantiated rumors are noted with a source. There are interviews, giveaways, celebrity voices and plenty of attitude.
    News cycle - I read the TWIP newsletter first thing Monday am and that takes 20 minutes if you click on a few links. A supplemental newsletter is released on Tuesday that takes 10 minutes to read and goes into depth on an issue or any breaking stories. By Wednesday, I'll listen to the TWIP podcast from Monday to add some flavor and that lasts 90 min.
    Beginning to think I may have a TWIP problem.

Sounds more like a pinball solution

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sorry about all the craziness today, guys. There was some confusion behind the scenes, which lead to a bunch of posts getting moderated in this thread, which then lead to a topic deletion. I have talked to the mod team and we have realigned our thoughts on some matters. This then lead to us restoring the deleted thread and posts, as you can see. And (most of) the moderations also got removed.
    I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me. As long as your post does not break any Pinside community rules, it’s cool. However, Please do not ask for Kaneda's return to Pinside. I already answered that question a lot of times: it's not going to happen.
    And now back to your regularly scheduled posting ...

I’m glad the comments were restored. When looking through reply’s, I was totally floored by my comments being deleted, then receiving a moderated notification hours later.

Kudos on the ruling, and restoring also my faith in pinside.

#257 5 years ago

I have tried to listen to several different pinball podcasts. So far the only one that I can listen to that does not make me want to claw my eyes out is the one that is frowned upon mentioning.
    I don't have a lot of free time lately to browse pinside, so it is like a digest version of what is going on and relevant. He looks so I don't have to. The only downside is that I don't interact as much on the forum. But realistically, no one cared whether I did anyway.

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

K-man podcast drinking game idea! Take a shot every time:
    "But here's the thing..."
    Reminds you what car he drives
    Uses "literally" incorrectly
    Praises Stern
    "World under glass"
    That last one might be coma-inducing

Add these to the drinking game:

"FUSTRATED"

Every time he refers to himself as "we"

Every time he says:
    Eright?
    Eright!
    Eright.

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Add these to the drinking game:
    "FUSTRATED"
    Every time he refers to himself as "we"
    Every time he says:
    Eright?
    Eright!
    Eright.

Sounds like you listen to this podcast a lot more closely than most of us.

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Sounds like you listen to this podcast a lot more closely than most of us.

I mean....it's literally the words coming out of his mouth. If you listen, you hear the words....right? I mean...do you turn it on and not listen? I'm confused at this attempt at a potshot.

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I mean....it's literally the words coming out of his mouth. If you listen, you hear the words....right? I mean...do you turn it on and not listen? I'm confused at this attempt at a potshot.

I don’t understand or it’s confusing to me why ... am I wrong??

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Bottom line, you love Kaneda podcasts! No need to twist the words around.

Nothing wrong with it. Right? I'd say its right down your alley.

#263 5 years ago
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    #264 5 years ago

K

#265 5 years ago

Tip of the cap to the moderating team and everyone who came together to allow this discussion to continue.

Sometimes, when you intentionally avoid something, or make it prohibitive, it adds to its mystique and allure for people to dig on and just sends people towards it. I think allowing discussion is the right move. Standing firm on his exclusion from the site is the right of anyone here that runs it, owns it, or enjoys it.

#266 5 years ago

I listen to K's podcast at work, because at times i'm so fucking bored and easily entertained by some of the shit that comes out of K's mouth
    I will admit that almost 8 times out of 10 Chris will be on point and his passion for pinball and drive to be controversial and reprehensible towards manufacturers while always chasing pinball dirt can be amusing. Right !. Right ! you are all good Chris keep plugging away, you are attracting listeners with controversy and manufacturer exclusion so well done.

H2H are great and always good for some fun, the tourney talk does not appeal to me but i'm sure many appreciate it.
    Marty and Ryza are the Dynamic Duo, nice work with all the amazing interviews guys !
    Bring on that funny shit with Petey and the gang !

I really like Special when lit. best audio quality from Ken and Bill.
    You guys are doing great ! Keep up the cool podcast.

This Flippin' podcast is super cool as well, the stonrs hardcore dudes of pinball are cool !
    Rockin’ tunes and hardcore action ! Tommy and Taylor rock !

Mr Meny of TWiP is cool, ohhh, ohhhh

Eclectic is cool as well, I like that Dennis has some amazing insight and his knowledge of pinball and arcade is next level.

Slam Tilt podcast, Beavis and Butthead, ooohhh yeah, party on dudes Ryan and Bruce , nutters, Knowledgeable and funny lol , U10 rock , I like the tech talk ,

And finally Master Voice Jeff Teolis Pinball Profile can be very entertaining

To all you Pinball Podcasters

THANK YOU !

You guys are awesome !

Pinball Addicted

Ando

ps,

best times for pinball podcasts are preparing meals and driving at work

20181213_180407 (resized).jpg20181213_180407 (resized).jpgwrk again (resized).jpgwrk again (resized).jpg
    #267 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

I listen to K's podcast at work, because at times i'm so fucking bored

And I thought my job sucks.

An old lady once told me "never look a gift horse in the mouth"

Whatever the fuck that means.

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

never look a gift horse in the mouth

Just to be a wise ass . . .

the expression comes from the fact when people buy horses they look at the teeth as a way to assess the health of the horse, so, when it is a gift, don't do that, just be grateful and accept it for what it is.

I guess the pinball equivalent is, if someone gives you a free machine, don't look for dimples

#269 5 years ago

Doing a podcast by yourself is a good way to keep them a manageable length. More than one person and the tangents/rants/laughing adds up quick!

#270 5 years ago

Um, what's a podcast.

#271 5 years ago

There’s nothing better than checking the forum on my lunch hour at work and seeing the SDTM has released a new YouTube episode. I think those guys are the best.

I’ll tune into an occasional Deadflip or Buffalo on YouTube if something looks interesting, but SDTM brings a level of entertainment beyond watching them flip.

#272 5 years ago

I used to listen to a lot of them while working. I'm down to 3 now.

The Pinball Podcast - I miss Don, but still enjoy the show. Opening bit of "what they have been doing in pinball lately" goes on a bit too long for me. But I listen to every episode.

K Pinball Podcast - Short and to the point. My favorite for getting any news or rumors. But his comedy bits almost always fall flat for me. Also when there is no real pin news he resorts to basically reading Pinside. Listen to just about every episode anyway.

SDTM - My favorite for the review of a new pin. Love those episodes. Only listen based on topic though.

#273 5 years ago

I listen to a few while I work.
    My favorite is special when lit, a good mix of content. Easy to listen to
    Head 2 head, good banter between the two of them, don't mind the long run time, I just break it up.
    Twip podcast, best place for the news

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It's kind of a bummer that a lot of old podcast episodes aren't currently accessible through iTunes taylorva / tsskinne , c2cpinball, robcraig, Pinheadz... (Coast 2 Coast, This Flippin Podcast, SilverBall Podcast, etc) all have shows with links that lead to an unavailable error. Unfortunate, those shows represent a lot of hard work and good entertainment. But also are good resource for folks just finding them.

Hey @27dnast, I just saw this. I was unaware our show was currently working with Itunes. I checked on my phone and our most recent episode played but perhaps that was because I downloaded it. I will look into our hosting site and we should have a new episode up in the coming week. Sorry for an inconvenience this has caused anyone. -Tommy

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kolchak357:

The Pinball Podcast - I miss Don, but still enjoy the show. Opening bit of "what they have been doing in pinball lately" goes on a bit too long for me. But I listen to every episode.

Their "What have you been up to?" opening segment became WAY too long to hold my interest. I stopped listening to this podcast after Jeff and Jessica typically spent the first 45 min of each show recapping unimportant stuff such as every game they had played, where, and with whom. They also seemed to lose their energy for doing the show at some point. Too bad as I had been a long-time listener, but it made my podcast list downsizing easier.

#276 5 years ago

I don't listen to Podcast.

I do watch Video / Youtube quiet a bit.

#277 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Special When Lit has quickly become my favorite. Anyone who hasn't listened should give them a try.

I just started to listen to their latest episode. Unfortunately after 40 minutes of them discussing a bunch of non-pinball stuff and recapping their last two episodes, sprinkled with a healthy mix of passive-aggressive whining from one host about how Special-K stole their interview guest "but I'm fine with it" -I'd had enough. I switched over to the lastest Slam Tilt! episode instead.

Is there a particular episode of Special When Lit that you would recommend as being a better "first listen" than the current one?

#278 5 years ago

K is by far the best podcast i've heard on pinball. He's actually very smart and his points are completely valid.

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Their "What have you been up to?" opening segment became WAY too long to hold my interest. I stopped listening to this podcast after Jeff and Jessica typically spent the first 45 min of each show recapping unimportant stuff such as every game they had played, where, and with whom. They also seemed to lose their energy for doing the show at some point. Too bad as I had been a long-time listener, but it made my podcast list downsizing easier.

I'm in full agreement. It seems like the Pinball Podcast lost steam ages ago, and the hosts sounded bored. That in turn makes the listeners bored. It's okay to end a podcast if the hosts don't have the energy or the time. It's not like there's a shortage of other casts to listen to.

#280 5 years ago

I'm a recent convert to pinball podcasts. It certainly helps make those long drives seem shorter.

Kaneda is my favorite by far. He can be very entertaining, has a very listenable relaxed and natural voice, and rarely pulls any punches. His opinions only line-up with mine about 50-60% of the time, but he has definitely made me look at some things in the hobby differently. And yes, it is true that he can come across as narcissistic, repetitive, and bafflingly contradictory to his own previous pronouncements on the hobby. That said, he's ballsy, and is not afraid to be the (mostly amusing) turd in the punchbowl.

The Head2Head guys are also very much worth a listen, and do great interviews. They are almost always entertaining, but sometimes the sheer length of their shows puts me off.

Pinball Profile is definitely also very good. I've only listened to a few so far, but Jeff Teolis is a pro and I really need to go back and listen to all his older stuff.

Got a few other podcasts saved on my phone, but the ones above are the ones I've enjoyed the most.

#281 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Which episode did you do?

Way back, episode 93

#282 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Hey 27dnast, I just saw this. I was unaware our show was currently working with Itunes. I checked on my phone and our most recent episode played but perhaps that was because I downloaded it. I will look into our hosting site and we should have a new episode up in the coming week. Sorry for an inconvenience this has caused anyone. -Tommy

Hey Tommy - recent episodes work... but (at least on my end) old episodes come up as unavailable. Todd

#283 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The new version of the show became just a little bit too tournament heavy for me... but I was losing interest in the show’s vibe before Don retired.

For some reason, listening to people talk about the details of how they played in a tournament is like listening to someone give the nitty gritty details of a dream they had - for like 30 minutes. For me, painful.

#284 5 years ago

I love tournament talk and really long episodes. I realize that’s in the minority though. Haha

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I just started to listen to their latest episode. Unfortunately after 40 minutes of them discussing a bunch of non-pinball stuff and recapping their last two episodes, sprinkled with a healthy mix of passive-aggressive whining from one host about how Special-K stole their interview guest "but I'm fine with it" -I'd had enough. I switched over to the lastest Slam Tilt! episode instead.
    Is there a particular episode of Special When Lit that you would recommend as being a better "first listen" than the current one?

Well they just intervied Todd Tuckey and Roger Sharp. Not sure what you are looking for. I like them because it just feel like you are hanging out with friends listening in while working on my machines. Ironically once I started listening, one of them answered a want as of mine and we worked something out.

#286 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I also cannot stand bitching and negativity. I know some people love it and thrive on it, and that is fine, but not for me. When I hear someone say how bad a machine is or "it's the worst game ever", it just turns me away. I figure someone own "x" machine and loves it and paid a good bit for it. I am not even talking about Kaneda either. I also do not care that others enjoy these things. They have a right to bitch and you have a right to listen. Fortunately I have the right to not listen. Sorry for the rant

#287 5 years ago

My favorites are Eclectic Gamers and Head2Head. The best podcasts from the past are Topcast, the Silverball Podcast and Coast2Coast.
    I must admit that Kaneda's podcast is my guilty pleasure. It's weird - I find myself disagreeing with him and shaking my head most of the time, I can't say I really like his personality and I find some of his past actions reprehensible (most notably his abuse of the Pinside team) but for some reason I still listen. I guess some forms of entertainment are just like that.

#288 5 years ago

H2H "tell it like it is" as far as I'm concerned...they do lay pretty heavy praise on industry guests, but ask some interesting and pointed questions (see the Keith Johnson interview).

I do understand the skepticism, though...when Nate from Coast2Coast gave Stern relatively mild criticism around the GoT art and BM66 "beg to spend $15k" business model, they got their backs up real quick.

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

For some reason, listening to people talk about the details of how they played in a tournament is like listening to someone give the nitty gritty details of a dream they had - for like 30 minutes. For me, painful.

lol - so true for me as well. But admittedly, I'm not a tournament player.

AND another plus for me re: Kaneda's podcast - NO tournament talk! Thank you Chris.

#290 5 years ago

Spooky Pinball is my favorite. Well done & with a variety of topics. EM Dungeon is a great segment. I like to have it on in the background while I am working on my pins. Once a month is just right.

Whatever happened to One & Done?

#291 5 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

Spooky Pinball is my favorite. Well done & with a variety of topics. EM Dungeon is a great segment. I like to have it on in the background while I am working on my pins. Once a month is just right.
    Whatever happened to One & Done?

You’re looking for this flippin podcast. Haha

#292 5 years ago

In true pinhead form:
    H2H, TFP, ST, Bro, THE Pinball Podcast, TWIP, Spooky and more. So many good pods out there. Thanks to all of those who take time to create content.

Podcasts are my way to tune shit out, focus on work and also hear conversations from people I enjoy hearing talk about a subject I love.

Life is way too short to listen to an internet troll whine and cry so I’m not even going to dignify that sad sad waste of server space with mentioning the name.

@falconpunch - You guys are effing awesome. The length and girth are just right. Cheers!

#293 5 years ago

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
    Pig Vomit: How can that be?
    Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
    Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
    Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
    Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
    Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

This is a great post and very relevant. I have listened to pretty much every podcast out there. I will give anything a try. The ones I still listen to on a regular basis - I WANT TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL SAY NEXT.

Once you stop caring what they say its over. Several should have ended months or years ago. The listenership cannot be that high for many of them unless people are using them as a torture mechanism. Usually because they veer into complete off topic nonsense or personal day to day drivel, the voices are so grating its impossible to listen without wanting to stab your eyeballs out, or of course, tournament talk....nothing worse than recapping how you did at a tournament. Not a single living soul cares.

#295 5 years ago

I'll be live (via Skype) on the Buffalo Pinball Twitch Podcast starting at 8PM tonight Dec 14th. Going to chat and share audio clips of the 28 pins that I've contributed to. This stream will end up on YouTube if you are interested in a sound guy that never worked for Williams.

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

the voices are so grating its impossible to listen without wanting to stab your eyeballs out

One of the rare humans that listens with their eyes!

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Bummed he is getting rid of his master. That was one of my favorite skits. Won't miss Tony though because that was painful.

Kaneda's Master is a wise man and speaks many truths. Enjoyable in small doses.

#298 5 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Kaneda's Master is a wise man and speaks many truths. Enjoyable in small doses.

That's when I accelerate the podcast to 2X speed.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

That's when I accelerate the podcast to 2X speed.

You might as well just skip it. He'll reiterate his same points in the next half dozen episodes, but in a way where you can actually understand what he's saying.

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from daudioguy:

I'll be live (via Skype) on the Buffalo Pinball Twitch Podcast starting at 8PM tonight Dec 14th. Going to chat and share audio clips of the 28 pins that I've contributed to. This stream will end up on YouTube if you are interested in a sound guy that never worked for Williams.

REACTOR 4-ever!

...oops, not a pin.

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.