Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
    #201 5 years ago

I like Kaneda’s podcast quite a bit. I also enjoy SDTM, except when Zach does his Mr. Mackey psychologist voice from South Park.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I assume that 99% of content is not relatable to him; I'm in that boat too

Just like what's going on in the pinball industry right now.

Yeah, not just that, but also don't care much to listen to people that act like they do, but have not much idea what they are talking aboot.

I have to be really high or hungover as heck just to read pinside anymore, let alone want to listen to the ramblings of some overly enthused nerds.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just like what's going on in the pinball industry right now.
    Yeah, not just that, but also don't care much to listen to people that act like they do, but have not much idea what they are talking aboot.
    I have to be really high or hungover as heck just to read pinside anymore, let alone want to listen to the ramblings of some overly enthused nerds.

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for your honesty.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:Sorry to hear this.

Why? It's not stopping you from listening to them.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Why? It's not stopping you from listening to them.

Nope.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

As someone that does cohost a podcast I find some of this information useful. Thanks!

Sure sure... Right off the bat let me just say I don't listen to any podcasts really as I'm aTV guy, although I guess i could watch the YouTube videos... My point is I'm not the target demo for this and I don't expect anyone to cater to my tastes.

So the content I have seen, and I'm not super knowledgeable aboot all of them, falls in a couple categories.
    1. Explaining things I already know. Lots of newer people in the hobby which is great but seeing the game play, or lack of it and just talking aboot, WWF/LW3 pin is possibly the least interesting thing I could think of. Junk games that I didn't like when they were first out and don't like them now. Or games I do like and don't need to watch people play.
    2. Current topics relevant to prem+ models. Pro buyer not really interested in things prem+ offers. Toppers, colors, somone telling me what I need to buy doesn't jive with me.
    3. Mods, see above. Already had my fill years ago and it interested. If your video had pinstadium or otherwise color puked I'm it interested.
    4. Idiots. I don't need recaps of Pinside, I'm kind of here enough, or listening to somone that knows absolutely nothing aboot pinball.
    5. I had surgery again today and I'm in a lot of pain and drugs, so go easy on me.

Sure I'm leaving out a bunch both sides. I'm sure people do a great job, I've even watched a video or 2, but just not in my wheelhouse. Rule and strategies is probably more the side I'm on, but I hear people talk about 2 hour shows and Jesus that sounds like torture.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure sure... Right off the bat let me just say I don't listen to any podcasts really as I'm aTV guy, although I guess i could watch the YouTube videos... My point is I'm not the target demo for this and I don't expect anyone to cater to my tastes.
    So the content I have seen, and I'm not super knowledgeable aboot all of them, falls in a couple categories.
    1. Explaining things I already know. Lots of newer people in the hobby which is great but seeing the game play, or lack of it and just talking aboot, WWF/LW3 pin is possibly the least interesting thing I could think of. Junk games that I didn't like when they were first out and don't like them now. Or games I do like and don't need to watch people play.
    2. Current topics relevant to prem+ models. Pro buyer not really interested in things prem+ offers. Toppers, colors, somone telling me what I need to buy doesn't jive with me.
    3. Mods, see above. Already had my fill years ago and it interested. If your video had pinstadium or otherwise color puked I'm it interested.
    4. Idiots. I don't need recaps of Pinside, I'm kind of here enough, or listening to somone that knows absolutely nothing aboot pinball.
    5. I had surgery again today and I'm in a lot of pain and drugs, so go easy on me.
    Sure I'm leaving out a bunch both sides. I'm sure people do a great job, I've even watched a video or 2, but just not in my wheelhouse. Rule and strategies is probably more the side I'm on, but I hear people talk about 2 hour shows and Jesus that sounds like torture.

First, hope your recovery is going well from your surgery!

Second, thanks for that very thorough and articulated reply. When you explain it the way that you just did I can understand better how you feel. I think the main thing that you stated that immediately jumped out at me is that you are more of a TV guy and not really drawn into podcasts in general. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. We are kind of similar that way because I didn't even realize what a podcast was until a couple of years ago. Thanks for taking the time to share.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

I miss pinheadz podcast. That podcast rocked. what happened to those guys?

I don't speak on behalf of Rod... But.... Life.
    Do you know how much editing is required for the production value they produced? It's insane.

So when you have a new family, move house, and get a new job it's easy to stop doing something that requires so much time and efffort.

I think I will send Rod this thread and he might use it for inspiration to start up again..

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm kind of here enough

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #210 5 years ago

Is Odin about to ban himself for the 15th Time?!

Don’t do it man! You have too much wisdom to spread here!

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is Odin about to ban himself for the 15th Time?!
    Don’t do it man! You have too much wisdom to spread here!

No way!

Although there are other things I'd rather do with my time, when I'm at work pinside is much more relaxing than listening to the endless stories from a deaf 91 year old in your face man with the shaking hands who just happened to forget his hearing aid today so he could not hear a word I would say. I bet he would be a perfect podcaster.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No way!
    Although there are other things I'd rather do with my time, when I'm at work pinside is much more relaxing than listening to the endless stories from a deaf 91 year old in your face man with the shaking hands who just happened to forget his hearing aid today so he could not hear a word I would say. I bet he would be a perfect podcaster.

Maybe he didn't "forget" his hearing aid. I kid...

#213 5 years ago

I had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom and he was still jabbering when I got back.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I don't speak on behalf of Rod... But.... Life.
    Do you know how much editing is required for the production value they produced? It's insane.
    So when you have a new family, move house, and get a new job it's easy to stop doing something that requires so much time and efffort.
    I think I will send Rod this thread and he might use it for inspiration to start up again..

Some of those podcasts go for 6 hours. I put them on while I'm in garage struggling with projects. They put a smile on my face when I'm at wits end with some of these pins.

#215 5 years ago

I only listen to three podcasts myself. I listen to the K-man because he does not sugur coat anything and I like hearing about new upcoming games. I also like to watch SDTM they always put on a fun show and i like watching the reviews and unboxing vids. The last one I listen to is pinball profile.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

Some of those podcasts go for 6 hours. I put them on while I'm in garage struggling with projects. They put a smile on my face when I'm at wits end with some of these pins.

That's exactly what I've been doing this week. Struggling to fix old games in my garage and the voice of someone talking about pinball is better to me than a song I've heard 1000 times.

But judging by this thread people make a coffee or get a beer. Sit down in their lounge room and listen to podcasts like it's TV show or a movie. I still don't get it.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

That's exactly what I've been doing this week. Struggling to fix old games in my garage and the voice of someone talking about pinball is better to me than a song I've heard 1000 times.
    But judging by this thread people make a coffee or get a beer. Sit down in their lounge room and listen to podcasts like it's TV show or a movie. I still don't get it.

I’m similar. I listen to podcasts all day long. Not all pinball, but I’d say 3-4 pinball, 3-4 sports, and 3-4 true crime.

I’m not even listening half the time. Just like to have it on cause I hate working in silence. If something peaks my interest, I start paying attention then tune it out after what I care about is done.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

5. I had surgery again today and I'm in a lot of pain and drugs,

I am sorry. I hope you are better soon !

LTG : )

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

If it takes a year to get guys like Lyman Sheats, Gomez, Roger Sharpe on I'll let him talk for as long as they want and ask him as many questions as I can.
    These guys are super busy. It's not like we are going to get access to them every single time we want.
    If you want I could split each episode up into 45 minute chucks and upload 1 every 3 days... But isn't that the same thing?
    If something is $100... And you pay for it in 5 easy instalments of $20 are you really saving anything? Just save up for the entrie thing aka use the pause button.

Love the show, don’t change a thing. The shows are long but you guys are hilarious and like you said, I can just pause at any point and listen to the rest later.

Big thanks to you guys and all the podcasters out there doing this not only for free, but frankly at a loss in both money and time. Just for our entertainment. Online, you’ll always get more complainers than praisers. That’s just the nature of the beast. Doesn’t reflect the majority of your listeners though.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Dude, you have 44,217 posts!

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I commute. A lot. My thanks to you and Martin for helping to make it better. Great interview with Lyman!

#222 5 years ago

Not that they were podcasts, but I really miss when Chris Bucci did his pinball collection videos back in 2009. Those are such great videos. Under 10 minutes (most of them), well edited, great info on each game, and a personal story about each one. I would listen to any pinball video done by him. He is really good at creating and editing videos!!

#223 5 years ago

When I was recovering from brain surgery earlier this year I wasn’t able to get around much and my eyesight was a little messed up so I passed a lot of time listening to pinball podcasts. My favorite is Kaneda's Podcast, he kept me caught up on Pinside & pinball related stuff until I was able to get back on and read pinside myself and start playing my games again. I literally listened to every episode, at first just lying in bed for weeks and then when I was able to start taking walks, it helped me Pass the time and to keep my spirits up.. thanks Kaneda!

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikeincali:

I miss pinheadz podcast. That podcast rocked. what happened to those guys?

Rod's background is in radio broadcast/production so he knew what makes for good content.

#225 5 years ago

So weird. I wrote a reply this morning and I can’t find it now. Did I get moderated for discussing something I shouldn’t? And if that’s the case- do they send me a message or something to let me know? :/

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheCreature:

So weird. I wrote a reply this morning and I can’t find it now. Did I get moderated for discussing something I shouldn’t? And if that’s the case- do they send me a message or something to let me know? :/

Wow. Went back for shits and giggles to see if my post was still there. It’s gone also.

In Soviet pinside, comments delete you!

#227 5 years ago

My post from the other day is gone too. I guess I should not have written that Special When Lit is my current favorite podcast or expressed any other opinion.

I know that the moderators have the right to delete things and I have no beef with that (it's their ball), but it would be helpful to let me know what I did wrong to avoid it in the future. I am not a mega-poster nor do I feel I am ever controversial when I do post, so it feels kind of crappy to be censored without explanation.

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Says the man with over 44 thousand post

#229 5 years ago

My post was deleted as well. I don't understand either.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

Wow. Went back for shits and giggles to see if my post was still there. It’s gone also.
    In Soviet pinside, comments delete you!

Quoted from Burley9043:

My post from the other day is gone too. I guess I should not have written that Special When Lit is my current favorite podcast or expressed any other opinion.
    I know that the moderators have the right to delete things and I have no beef with that (it's their ball), but it would be helpful to let me know what I did wrong to avoid it in the future. I am not a mega-poster nor do I feel I am ever controversial when I do post, so it feels kind of crappy to be censored without explanation.

Did you mention the one that should not be mentioned? I see everyone who was laughing at others for avoiding it and posting that it is fine to post about got deleted.

#231 5 years ago

An analogy comes to mind. Whenever I see a car driver pulled over on the side of the road and a policeman with his ticket pad in hand, I think to myself ... doesn't that policeman have anything better to do with his time? Shouldn't they be busting down criminals' doors instead? Or catching thieves and recovering the loot from gangs that are a menace to society? Or saving girls from human trafficking and locking up violent criminals? I conclude that it must be a better use of policemen's time to pick the low hanging misdemeanors and push the fines.

But what's the point on Pinside? Maybe the rules should be relaxed and the ban removed to allow discussion of a former Pinsider and his podcast. I can see plenty of reasons to support upholding the lifetime ban on him and his account. I can't see why a discussion can't take place. I'd go so far as suggest an "Official" thread be created to allow the comments to collect in one place. Put the thread in the basement (or does it belong here?) and we can all go on our merry way.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Says the man with over 44 thousand post

Smoke weed every day!

#235 5 years ago

I've listened to all at least once partially...
    I was on the evil K guy's podcast
    which was fun early in his show's run...
    https://m.soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-45-kaneda-interviews-cody-melior
    Head 2 Head is quite good at times.

#238 5 years ago

Sorry about all the craziness today, guys. There was some confusion behind the scenes, which lead to a bunch of posts getting moderated in this thread, which then lead to a topic deletion. I have talked to the mod team and we have realigned our thoughts on some matters. This then lead to us restoring the deleted thread and posts, as you can see. And (most of) the moderations also got removed.

I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me. As long as your post does not break any Pinside community rules, it’s cool. However, Please do not ask for Kaneda's return to Pinside. I already answered that question a lot of times: it's not going to happen.

And now back to your regularly scheduled posting ...

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sorry about all the craziness today, guys. There was some confusion behind the scenes, which lead to a bunch of posts getting moderated in this thread, which then lead to a topic deletion. I have talked to the mod team and we have realigned our thoughts on some matters. This then lead to us restoring the deleted thread and posts, as you can see. And (most of) the moderations also got removed.
    I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me. As long as your post does not break any Pinside community rules, it’s cool. However, Please do not ask for Kaneda's return to Pinside. I already answered that question a lot of times: it's not going to happen.

Cool, thanks for responding . I apologize if I added to any confusion

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I don't want to derail this anymore than it has been, but is it possible to implement a better system for informing people 1) that they've been moderated and 2) why their posts are moderated. I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I noticed one of my posts just disappeared for no rhyme or reason, and I couldn't even look at it to review why it might have been moderated.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don't want to derail this anymore than it has been, but is it possible to implement a better system for informing people 1) that they've been moderated and 2) why their posts are moderated. I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I noticed one of my posts just disappeared for no rhyme or reason, and I couldn't even look at it to review why it might have been moderated.

It appears they just deleted your post because when you are moderated you will receive an PM with an explanation. Here is one I received a few weeks ago and according to what Robin stated above it should have never been moderated since all I did was mention his name.

pasted (resized).pngpasted (resized).png
    #242 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me. As long as your post does not break any Pinside community rules, it’s cool. ...

Well now ... there are numerous pinball podcasts worth listening to (IMHO of course), but if I could only listen to one, it would be Kaneda's. It's often far from perfect, but it's the best combination of information, objective opinion, and entertainment in less than an hour typically.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thank you Robin!

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I would also like to clarify that mentioning Kaneda (or “K”) or his podcast is fine with me.

Finally. I've been moderated in the past because I just mentioned something that was said in his podcast or commented about a great interview he did.

#245 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Normally there are. But we messed up for a bit.
    Again, apologies for the confusion!

Quoted from chooch:

It appears they just deleted your post because when you are moderated you will receive an PM with an explanation. Here is one I received a few weeks ago and according to what Robin stated above it should have never been moderated since all I did was mention his name.[quoted image]

Actually, we don't allow the "Hi Kaneda" posts. But for an entirely different reason; We don't want public witchhunts of people who think they see a fake account. That doesn't just go for Kaneda (although he notoriously opened tons of dupes).

So please, if you think you see a fake account: report it to the mods instead of openly challenging someone. Because it's really rude and unwelcoming to new members when they are accused of being someone they're not. And that has happened way too often.

#246 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Actually, we don't allow the "Hi Kaneda" posts. But for an entirely different reason; We don't want public witchhunts of people who think they see a fake account. That doesn't just go for Kaneda (although he notoriously opened tons of dupes).

So please, if you think you see a fake account: report it to the mods instead of openly challenging someone. Because it's really rude and unwelcoming to new members when they are accused of being someone they're not. And that has happened way too often.

Thanks for the explanation and that wasn't noted in the feedback I received. In my case I didn't really think it was him and was just having some fun. I will refrain from using it in that context going forward.

#247 5 years ago

I don't listen to many pinball podcasts anymore. I used to listen to C2C all the time - it usually lasted just the right amount of time while mowing the lawn. I've come and gone with Kaneda...I'd listen, get annoyed, stop listening, and then come back (rinse and repeat). I haven't listened in a long time (and think I am finally done). His negativity and hypocrisy finally wore me out for good. When Head 2 Head first started, I was really into it...but the long episodes ultimately steered me away from listening. Really enjoy those guys, however.

I've never listened to TWIP podcast. I read his updates almost every Monday and Tuesday. Does the TWIP podcast primarily cover those topics, or is there more to it? Average episode length?

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

I don't listen to many pinball podcasts anymore. I used to listen to C2C all the time - it usually lasted just the right amount of time while mowing the lawn. I've come and gone with Kaneda...I'd listen, get annoyed, stop listening, and then come back (rinse and repeat). I haven't listened in a long time (and think I am finally done). His negativity and hypocrisy finally wore me out for good. When Head 2 Head first started, I was really into it...but the long episodes ultimately steered me away from listening. Really enjoy those guys, however.
    I've never listened to TWIP podcast. I read his updates almost every Monday and Tuesday. Does the TWIP podcast primarily cover those topics, or is there more to it? Average episode length?

1-1.5 hours. Covers the topics the blog covers.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

ZMeny goes over the twip news with different co hosts that usually lasts 60-90mins or more. Usually very enjoyable, informative and fun

#250 5 years ago

What you get with TWIP is pure news and substantiated rumors are noted with a source. There are interviews, giveaways, celebrity voices and plenty of attitude.

News cycle - I read the TWIP newsletter first thing Monday am and that takes 20 minutes if you click on a few links. A supplemental newsletter is released on Tuesday that takes 10 minutes to read and goes into depth on an issue or any breaking stories. By Wednesday, I'll listen to the TWIP podcast from Monday to add some flavor and that lasts 90 min.

Beginning to think I may have a TWIP problem.

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/5?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.