Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.
    #151 5 years ago

You guys really don’t need to listen to k-dogs podcast anymore...instead you can just print out this post which sums up all past and future p.casts, then read it anytime you feel the urge:

cadence cadence cadence cadence hilton cadence cadence marketing cadence cadence demon cadence cadence told you so cadence cadence cadence aurich cadence cadence cadence iceman cadence cadence Batman 66 cadence cadence cadence bubba cadence cadence cadence world under glass cadence levi cadence cadence rotor Dave cadence cadence patreon cadence cadence cadence...

501AB9BE-C3F2-4A0B-A8DF-002EDE6D69A2 (resized).jpeg501AB9BE-C3F2-4A0B-A8DF-002EDE6D69A2 (resized).jpeg
    #152 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Kaneda to his credit will at least speak out and hold his viewpoint regardless on political hot potato issues.
    H2H won't touch any subject that will negatively affect their local online forum standing - e.g. the rise and inevitable fall of Homepin. Covered the first part in spades then went radio silent on the second because he was at the time active as a commercial sponsor on at least one local forum.

Therein lies the problem sometimes with other podcasts, and video game magazines. If EA is buying advertising in your magazine, you wouldn't want to give a bad review of an EA game in the same issue. EA pulls out. Having no sponsor/ad deal, and being kicked off of pinside(thus no account to lose) gives full freedom to say what you want.

#153 5 years ago

Mr68 posted public financial docs indicating Heighway was having financial issues here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/141#post-3301083

All the comments following are ripping him for the most part.

K posted a podcast around the same time talking about the financials of the company as well, it's even mentioned in the thread. So what part of the timeline do I have incorrect here? They reported issues, got blasted for it.

#154 5 years ago

I’m a big fan of K-Man as I mentioned earlier- and I even like his ‘Master’ character. But if there’s three things that need to go it’s

1. The Worst Tony Montana Impression Ever
    2. The ‘Interview’ Clips Schtick from the most recent episode
    3. The laugh-track from Head 2 Head

That said though- give the man credit. He has zero f’s to give.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheCreature:

I’m a big fan of K-Man as I mentioned earlier- and I even like his ‘Master’ character. But if there’s three things that need to go it’s
    1. The Worst Tony Montana Impression Ever
    2. The ‘Interview’ Clips Schtick from the most recent episode
    3. The laugh-track from Head 2 Head
    That said though- give the man credit. He has zero f’s to give.

Also, the Patreon thing is seriously cheesy. Don't dilute your message by begging for money. Yet another contradiction from someone who claims to be rich...why lower yourself to begging for a buck a month from a handful of folks? Is it some kind of dick measuring metric to compare yourself to the other podcasts?

#156 5 years ago

My current favorite podcast is Special When Lit and highly recommend it to those wanting to sample a pinball podcast for the first time. They seem like two guys with whom you would want to hang out AND they have had some great interviews. (I wonder how good the beer is?)

I will listen to Head 2 Head if I am interested in the interview, lately they have had some really good ones, but cannot get through the additional hour+ of the show.

I still enjoy listening to Kaneda's Pinball Podcast (there is nothing else like it, for better or worse) though I agree about the Patreon thing. If you are going to be a rebel, you don't look for sponsors.

#157 5 years ago

Well I think what current future podcasters should really be taking from this is the whole "Keneda isn't great but he's not in anyone's pocket" apparently means a lot to people. I'd heard a bit in the SDTM but I didn't know realize how big it is.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Also, the Patreon thing is seriously cheesy. Don't dilute your message by begging for money. Yet another contradiction from someone who claims to be rich...why lower yourself to begging for a buck a month from a handful of folks? Is it some kind of dick measuring metric to compare yourself to the other podcasts?

He also makes plenty of money from shilling and flipping new Stern LE pre-orders on his platform, too. Only after he cashes out will you here his genuine feelings on the game.

"I'm really thinking that I'm going to keep this one."

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Also, the Patreon thing is seriously cheesy. Don't dilute your message by begging for money...

The problem is people love handing over monies here...they're asking pod people to use Patreon
    ... So weird.

#160 5 years ago

He's been begging me to do his show for years, using his charming, relentless, and admittedly effective flattery/neg routine. But I refuse to debase myself!

I'm gonna start up a Patreon. I'll go on his show for 1000 bucks. I'll debase myself for 1000 bucks.

I will be donating the entirety of it to my favorite charity: me.

Let's make this happen people!

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

K-man podcast drinking game idea! Take a shot every time:
    "But here's the thing..."
    Reminds you what car he drives
    Uses "literally" incorrectly
    Praises Stern
    "World under glass"
    That last one might be coma-inducing

In college, we used the play "The Scarface Game". We'd put on Scarface, and every time they dropped the f-bomb, we'd take swig of beer. When you hit you're favorite scene, you'd need to shotgun one. An hour in you were absolutely HAMMERED.

I think we'd be drunker with the K-Man game, though.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In college, we used the play "The Scarface Game". We'd put on Scarface, and every time they dropped the f-bomb, we'd take swig of beer. When you hit you're favorite scene, you'd need to shotgun one. An hour in you were absolutely HAMMERED.
    I think we'd be drunker with the K-Man game, though.

I really preferred this movie on TV, as it was absolutely hilarious.

"This town like a great big chicken, jus waitin' to get plucked!"

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He's been begging me to do his show for years, using his charming, relentless, and admittedly effective flattery/neg routine. But I refuse to debase myself!
    I'm gonna start up a Patreon. I'll go on his show for 1000 bucks. I'll debase myself for 1000 bucks.

I'd be happy to send you 13 cents...link?

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He will be charming during the interview. For months or years after you become a target.

#165 5 years ago

You could make a drinking game from Slam Tilt podcast: Every time you hear "Oh my!"(with Taikei voice), take a drink.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not many mentions of the bro crew - bro do you even Pinball. They only do it once a month; but like they’ve said, more than that is overkill for a pinball podcast. Their content and material is top notch, to the point, and very well organized. I can listen from start to finish.

I like the Bro podcast a lot. Good content and production value, but the shows are so infrequent that I often forget about them.

They have good taste in games, too.

#167 5 years ago

I forgot what podcast it was(it was not Mrs. Pin), but it was hosted by a couple. They did 1 or 2 brief episodes that were nararrated like "Welcome to Night Vale", documenting something. It made zero sense, and went off any sort of pinball-related topic. A quick dismissal from my RSS feeds.

I did listen to the Topcast episodes many years ago, before I got into pinball. It was fascinating to hear podcasts in their earliest,crudest pre-patreon form. You could even hear caller ID data piped through. There were homemade commercials. There was even a Laurel & Hardy resemblence with one guy being the "straight man" in the act.. Definite pioneers of podcasting(in general, not just pinball)

#168 5 years ago

I only listen to kaneda. His personality quirks sit well with me. I find him funny (my wife disagrees after the latest episode where he interviews a bunch of pinball companies), entertaining, informative, and anyone that can monologue like this man can for an hour plus whilst holding my attention span, deserves a medal! I truly believe he missed his calling in talk radio.

I have listened to other podcasts...most of them I clicked off within minutes. Not to say they weren’t good, I just didn’t find them as refreshing/entertaining. Kaneda can be a jackass, we all know this. Despite it, I thoroughly enjoy his rants, talking points, and his zany characters (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TONY “MONTANYA” as he says it). Is the guy Russian? I don’t even know wtf accent it’s supposed to be...I’ll tell ya Colombian ain’t it! The whole “kanedas master” bit I found to be....different. In a good way.

None of these guys making podcasts are getting rich, and are doing it for the love of the hobby. I respect and appreciate all who step up to the plate to deliver their various points of view, humor, and dedication to the hobby!

My two cents

#169 5 years ago

PinLen83 Tony Montanya is Italian.

Try adding some other podcasts now. The quality of content and delivery have improved across the board and one might strike your fancy. Guest interviews can be interestingly good too.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

He also makes plenty of money from shilling and flipping new Stern LE pre-orders on his platform, too. Only after he cashes out will you here his genuine feelings on the game.
    "I'm really thinking that I'm going to keep this one."

Come on... like this isn't happening all over the collecting community all of the time. Please. The instances we see where someone is truthful about their true feelings for a game are far and few between.

#171 5 years ago

It's kind of a bummer that a lot of old podcast episodes aren't currently accessible through iTunes TaylorVA / Tsskinne , @c2cpinball, @robcraig, Pinheadz... (Coast 2 Coast, This Flippin Podcast, SilverBall Podcast, etc) all have shows with links that lead to an unavailable error. Unfortunate, those shows represent a lot of hard work and good entertainment. But also are good resource for folks just finding them.

#172 5 years ago

This morning, it looks like the big K already heeded many of the pieces of advice already offered so far. Smart move. How many other podcasts can learn from this thread and improve their shows?

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not many mentions of the bro crew - bro do you even Pinball. They only do it once a month; but like they’ve said, more than that is overkill for a pinball podcast. Their content and material is top notch, to the point, and very well organized. I can listen from start to finish.
    The others’ mentioned here are top notch too. For pinball related stuff; head to head and bro crew are my go to’s. For entertainment factor it’s K-man and SDTM. Keep up the hard work all.

Quoted from Allibaster:

I like the Bro podcast a lot. Good content and production value, but the shows are so infrequent that I often forget about them.
    They have good taste in games, too.

Thanks guys!

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

This morning, it looks like the big K already heeded many of the pieces of advice already offered so far. Smart move. How many other podcasts can learn from this thread and improve their shows?

Bummed he is getting rid of his master. That was one of my favorite skits. Won't miss Tony though because that was painful.

#175 5 years ago

I typically find interviews to be the best podcasts, getting some behind the scenes peak at the process or the thinking behind a game, etc. The topics being covered or person being interviewed is typically what influences whether I will listen or not. There are so many too chose from.

I can also enjoy a podcast where they give their take on things happening in the industry. And while I have no issue with a podcast giving its opinions on a machine, what I do have an issue with is when they do it when they have had zero exposure to the game. If you have not seen it in person and have not played it more than once, then you should not be "reviewing it". It is one thing to give you initial reactions to what you have seen, but I have seen more than one podcaster do what they are calling a review of a game, that they flipped one time or based on watching a stream of game play. That is a disservice to their listeners and the manufactures. Makes me cringe when I hear "the sound package did not wow me, but I only played one game on it on location and the volume was too low" or "it was on location and there was an issue with the flippers, and I could not make all the shots" -- then how the heck can you review it? I get they need for content, and wanting to talk about what is current, but, either do it right or don't do it all. There is one podcast I have crossed off my list, since on more than one occasion I heard a game reviewed based on a single play of the machine, and I don't care if they loved it or hated it, that review is basically meaningless. Reviewing a game you played one game on, or based on a stream, is far worse then when a pinsider rates a machine they played one time, which is also ridiculous.

The good thing is there is plenty of content to choose from.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

pinlen83 Tony Montanya is Italian.

And.....no. He’s Cuban!

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And.....no. He’s Cuban!

Aaaaand, my point exactly. No one knows what he’s supposed to be lol

#178 5 years ago
    scarface (resized).pngscarface (resized).png
    #179 5 years ago

Why is there a large amount of grown men calling someone K-Man because they refuse to say Kaneda like he’s the boogeyman.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

Why is there a large amount of grown men calling someone K-Man because they refuse to say Kaneda like he’s the boogeyman.

When you get moderated you will know why!

#181 5 years ago

I kinda laugh whenever I see the "grown men" card played around here. Even if I've probably played it.

I mean...everyone here collects and plays pinball games, and many spend a significant amount of their time comparing and buying plastic dolls. I don't think we should have any expectations that anybody here has embraced being a grown man.

#182 5 years ago

Regarding K-man’s podcast and Patreon:

I understand how some people would say the Patreon requests dilute the message. I don’t disagree with that on principal. It would be odd to watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and have Robin Leach ask for Patreon donations at the end of the show.

That said- I don’t begrudge people for asking for Patreon supporters. There are costs to podcast production and travel, etc. (though perhaps not as much for K-man’s as say, SDTM who have gone the extra mile with pin purchases, travel, and increasing video production. Thanks Zach and Greg for that! It’s appreciated!) But there are VERY SUCCESSFUL YouTube channels with people raking it in who still ask for supporters or sell merch. “If you’re good at something, never do it for free.”

One more thing- I wasn’t there for the drink throwing scandal. I don’t know the whole story because it seemed verboten to explore on here. Sounds like it was terrible behavior. BUT - the guy seems genuinely sorry about it. Proper boundaries is fine. And it takes time to build up trust. People are allowed to feel the way they feel about him. I just want to say this in regards to his overall personality-

Many big radio personalities are polarizing and sometimes outright jerks and blowhards. They do the ‘contradictory stuff’ in the broadcasting world all the time. Colin Cowherd immediately comes to mind. Jim Rome. The ‘undisputed’ style of Sharpe and Bayless is highly confrontational with ‘hot takes’ and aggressive dialogue. These things seem to be very popular. Of course it extends into political and news shows- Limbaugh, Savage- etc. They cultivate that aggressive, ‘sandpaper’ image. Love him or hate him, K-man has done a good job of cultivating that image and style.

About the ‘pump and dump’ of machines- or ‘flipping.’ I want to give someone the benefit of the doubt. I seem to remember him flipping a NIB Ghostbusters. And I certainly remember him singing the praises of Iron Maiden LE and flipping that. It was pretty transparent. I understand how that leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths. BUT - to me, it’s a real world example of what happens in our hobby all the time. To me, watching that play out over several episodes reinforced valuable lessons about patience, hype, over-paying, the ‘marketing and sales window’ and how crazy this hobby/addiction can be.

And Levi- I’ll support you. First post from you I think I upvoted

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I kinda laugh whenever I see the "grown men" card played around here. Even if I've probably played it.
    I mean...everyone here collects and plays pinball games, and many spend a significant amount of their time comparing and buying plastic dolls. I don't think we should have any expectations that anybody here has embraced being a grown man.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And yet grown men and screaming in anguish, writhing in emotional agony, and soiling their game rooms with first world problem tears.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I may be wrong - and I think we all know there's got to be some people who who can tell us the real deal - but I believe these grown men are turned on by My Little Pony the same way we are about pinball. Most of us aren't having sex with our pinball machines.

Seriously, it's just another weirdo nerdy subculture.

#184 5 years ago

"EVEN IF I'VE PROBABLY PLAYED IT."

Nice work detective. How's that job with 60 Minutes coming along?

#185 5 years ago

I've tried a few episodes from all the usual suspects, but most of them aren't very good. K's is the only one I listen to with any regularity. Like him or not, he is at least entertaining and is able to deliver a passionate, persuasive argument. I also appreciate the short length of episodes, although he definitely puts up too many. There is not enough going on in the hobby for 3 45 minute podcasts a week. I'm actually glad when he starts to describe the latest drama on the forum and I have no idea what he's talking about. Not because I want to know the drama, but because it's reaffirming that I don't spend all my waking time here. (He also needs to let go of some grudges).

So beside K's, I'll only check out the rest if I hear an interview that I want to hear. Tip for all you podcast hosts, get Ben Heck. He has a similar straight from the hip style as K, but his background provides a unique viewpoint. I could listen to Ben go from one tangent to the next for hours.

#186 5 years ago

So, no slight on anyone I don't listen to, I just haven't gotten into them for whatever reason. I'll usually listen to:

1. Head2Head because they are genuinely amusing and having a good time. When I went on, I could've easily talked to those guys another couple hours, heh. I listened to them before I did the show.

2. SDTM: More fun talk. Admittedly didn't start following them until just before I went on, but now I'm in! The Lost World Jurassic Park love eludes me, I have to say.

3. Pinball Profile: Jeff's a class act, what can I say.

4. Bros: Not on very often, but usually genuinely insightful.

Only listened to K once when Jack went on it. By all accounts, a fairly tame episode from what I gather. Don't feel like I'm missing much.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My feedback for you guys would be to split it up into 45 min to 1 hr chunks
    It really does make a difference imo
    People just tune out if it’s any longer. Last podcast you guys did I went to about the 30 minute mark and started listening during my workout and then 45 min later I’m done
    When I do my seminar presentations it’s REALLY hard to keep it at an hour but after hundreds of them I finally started listening to the audience and other professionals and make sure I didn’t go over that 1 hr now
    Went from 2 hours down to 1. Much better AND it makes you more focused and concise versus rambling on to hear yourself talk
    But hey, it’s your gig, do what makes you happy. Just a suggestion

The other thing about shorter episodes is it's easier to come back to. If I pause during a 3 hour podcast and start it up eight hours later, I spend the first few minutes trying to remember what they're even talking about and what all is being said. And if my podcast app loses my place in the episode? Screw the whole episode!

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

When you get moderated you will know why!

The name Keneda has been typed like 10 times in this thread alone.

#189 5 years ago

H2H have great interviews.

Just seen they have Lyman on today's - that for me is an ESSENTIAL listen

Off to hear what the plans are for AC/DC!

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The name Keneda has been typed like 10 times in this thread alone.

Maybe they are allowing it because this is a thread about podcasts however I got moderated 3 weeks ago just for mentioning his name in a thread so it happens.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

... his name in a thread so it happens.

Yeah I'm sure it happens off and on because people moderate diff'rently, but I think for the most part people just assume it csnt be said when clearly it can.

#192 5 years ago

Whysnow you post 3 CrazyLevi posts but don't speak a single word for your self how lame

#193 5 years ago

I've listened to a couple for a minute or two, and to tell you the truth, I prefer the sound of a dentist's drill over what I have heard so far.

Sometimes it makes me wonder what kind of hobby I've gotten myself into.

#194 5 years ago

has anyone compiled a list of the individual podcasts to vote on?

#195 5 years ago

Create a new pole to see what is this thread’s favorite podcast.

#196 5 years ago

I’m thinking about doing a “drunken bi polar” podcast

IF Odiner would co host it with me

Special appearance by Crazy Levee

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've listened to a couple for a minute or two, and to tell you the truth, I prefer the sound of a dentist's drill over what I have heard so far.
    Sometimes it makes me wonder what kind of hobby I've gotten myself into.

Curious as to what you mean when you say that because of listening to a couple minutes of a few podcasts it makes you question the hobby in which you are a part of?

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Curious as to what you mean when you say that because of listening to a couple minutes of a few podcasts it makes you question the hobby in which you are a part of?

I assume that 99% of content is not relatable to him; I'm in that boat too

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I assume that 99% of content is not relatable to him; I'm in that boat too

Is it the way in which pinball is discussed during podcasts just not your style? I'm trying to wrap my head around 99% of content not being relatable to you if you are on this pinball forum, as much is what is discussed on podcasts is also discussed here (Pinside). This thread for instance has been discussed as well. I'm not trying to be confrontational as I'm legitimately trying to understand. As someone that does cohost a podcast I find some of this information useful. Thanks!

#200 5 years ago

I miss pinheadz podcast. That podcast rocked. what happened to those guys?

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/4?hl=twoheartedmale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.