Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
    #51 5 years ago

I listen to many podcasts when I exercise, three of which are pinball related.

K
    Love him or hate him, the man can talk nonstop for an hour and keep it interesting, which is difficult to do.

H2H
    Informative and occasionally funny, if only they wouldn't stray off topic with non pinball related content so much. Recently, I had to fast forward a long drawn out discussion about tacos.

TWIP
    Good podcast that, like H2H, could use some editing.

#52 5 years ago

IMO, C2C was really good in the beginning. I've tried a few since then and even though I dislike the guy, K can be entertaining sometimes. But to be honest, I don't really listen to any of them anymore. They all just seem to say the same thing with a different spin.

#53 5 years ago

I occasionally listen for interviews. The Chris Granner (H2H podcast) and Lyman (Slam Tilt) episodes were a few of the best this year and worth the time.

#54 5 years ago

I listen to too many podcasts in general, so I have periods where I listen to nearly every pinball podcast I can find. I actually just cut back so that the remaining episodes of Slam Tilt don't get buried in the huge backlog I managed to amass...as long as you listen regularly (and on 1.5x speed...) keeping up can be somewhat manageable, but I hadn't been doing that, so I had several episodes from August in December and my phone storage was a bit cramped.

At this point, there are pincasts for most niches within the hobby, and several podcasts are interview-focused and/or region focused. When I'm not on a severe podcast diet like I am now, I listen to podcasts from any region and from any niche, since talking about pinball, in general, is something I find entertaining and interesting. Even podcasts that I'm not 100% thrilled with can be entertaining to listen to with some segment or other or with a particular interview, and it is fun seeing how the hobby manifests in different areas and seeing it from different perspectives.

As for my personal podcast preferences beyond "support ALL the pincasts," the one I most regularly listen to is Slam Tilt; beyond that, I guess it's Head 2 Head, Mrs. Pin, Pinball Players, and Pinball Profile, though I have no idea how my listening habits will be affected once Slam Tilt's distinctive yellow icon stops showing up in my feed. My plan is to reintroduce all of the feeds I've temporarily backed off from, but we'll see. Slam Tilt would be the podcast I looked forward to most in my overabundance of episodes. It may be less tolerable to maintain a heavy listening habit without that carrot popping up regularly in my feed, and I have no idea what will replace it as my Favorite Regular Podcast.

Pinball podcasts are good, though. There's a few lists of podcasts floating around Pinside and elsewhere and those are a good starting point for finding the ones that jive with your tastes. Different lengths, different focuses, and, overall, it's pretty much all good.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I occasionally listen for interviews. The Chris Granner (H2H podcast) and Lyman (Slam Tilt) episodes were a few of the best this year and worth the time.

I will admit, when I have listened, it's when someone interesting is being interviewed. Although, I've been to enough shows and listened to enough seminars where I've heard most everyone I'm interested in. I also don't have time to listen to a 1 1/2 to 2 hour interview. An hour long podcast is about right. Longer than that and I get bored.

#56 5 years ago

K's is the only one unless one of the other shows have a guest I want to hear. There is a reason he won the TWIPY. To all the people making comments about how he talks or pronounces words feel free to upload a clip of yourself doing a podcast so we can hear the correct way. I respect anyone who does a podcast cause I surely couldn't do it and I would never make fun of how they talked regardless of whether or not I liked their podcast.

#57 5 years ago

I only listen when a new pin comes out so they can tell me whether or not to buy it!

Say what you are going to say in less than hour. At least the hypocrite narcissistic Kman gets that part

Honestly I don’t get why they do it? I mean it’s great to hear from some interviewees but the rest is crap for the most part

Edit: These guys are trying to earn big $$ via Patreon

A lot of wasted time but hey some people love to hear themselves talk

#58 5 years ago

I like the Zach unboxings. Funny is good!

This is a hobby. Should be fun and light

#59 5 years ago

I really enjoy SDTM on YouTube. I think those guys have great banter and seem to have fun while discussing the games. I especially enjoy “This or That”.

I also really enjoy K’s podcast as well. I, like many on this thread, don’t always agree with K, but the show is entertaining and covers the topics I’m interested in. I just wish he would refrain from the personal attacks a little more, but the passion is what makes him interesting, so I can live with it.

I am open to listening to other shows, but time is at a premium!!!

#60 5 years ago

Only the K-man's currently. I used to listen to others but he's basically the only podcast that isn't afraid to tell it like it is...everyone else has too many friends in the industry or is afraid of being cut off

#61 5 years ago

I listen to K’s and I skim through H2H because they are way to long. I used to like TWIP but got tired of them just re-reading what was already said in other podcasts.

#62 5 years ago

I also enjoy SDTM but I guess that doesn’t count as a podcast.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Podcasts excite me about as much as the thought of hemorrhoid surgery.

Had a root canal, crown and extraction done in one sitting. Found it relaxing. Not sure if a ‘roid surgery would be as pleasant.

#64 5 years ago

Honestly, what’s the difference between saying k-man vs. the full name which isn’t even his real name but that of a character?

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Honestly, what’s the difference between saying k-man vs. the full name ....

People seem to think if you type kaneda you will get moderated.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That’s the point. You will...I posted the name once and my post just disappeared magically

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Is there a rule somewhere that you can't say kaneda?

H2H have good stuff but way too long, so only go to a part that I really want to listen to.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Perhaps a mod could chime in and clear the confusion.

And perhaps if there is such a ban, have it officially updated to pinside’s TOS

#69 5 years ago

This thread is an awesome read for me. Very interesting to see what everyone gravitates toward (or runs away from).

I will say this...for those of you that may think that the pinball podcasters are in it to drive huge money from a Patreon page I think I can speak for just about all of us and say that's not the goal at all. For those that have chosen to set up a Patreon or ask for donations it's simply to recoup a little bit of the cost associated with podcasting (equipment, monthly fees for hosting, time and rescources, etc.). The most valuable item that I donate to our weekly podcast is time. That said, we don't do our show because we want to "hear ourselves talk", "make big money" (or any money for that matter), or anything like that. We do our show because we enjoy pinball and it's a small way to give back to a hobby that has been so fun for us for so many years. We just genuinely like talking pinball and sharing our thoughts with those that are interested. That is it...nothing more. I just wanted to put some of this in perspective.

I can completely appreciate all the feedback here and I respect the hell out of all of it (for the most part). I would say that most people can find at least one pinball related podcast that calls to them. I encourage you to not judge all podcasts by one or two that haven't interested you. If you have never given it a try I encourage you to give some of these great podcasts a listen!

To the OP...thanks for starting this thread. It's a fun and informative read. Oh, and I think that Bryan Kelly listens to more podcasts than anyone else I know.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

H2H have good stuff but way too long, so only go to a part that I really want to listen to.

There was a rule, actually. You couldn’t mention him, and if you did, you got moderated up to the temporary ban hammer. Things have cooled off over time, and people don’t care or bring him up much anymore. But the dude is persona non grata around here for a reason, and for awhile he was a hot, polemic topic and things were touchy.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I have twice (recently) including a thread eject. Just for mentioning his name and podcast.

Silly in my opinion, but I don't control Pinside so it is what it is.

#72 5 years ago

This Flippin Podcast

#73 5 years ago

I enjoy the twipy award winning pinball podcast with a guy named Chris and SDTM

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

This Flippin Podcast

You and me both. Love this one.

#75 5 years ago

I listen to most of the K podcasts.

The thing podcasters, movie reviewers, game reviewers, that guy kicked out of the White House fear most is LOSING ACCESS. So they tow the company line.

Chris is already out. He has nothing to lose so says whatever he wants. Refreshing.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Chris is already out. He has nothing to lose so says whatever he wants. Refreshing.

I wonder why though? Dude just got married. I don't get wasting so much of your life reading Pinside and doing podcasts. I'm not sure he even really likes playing pinball, more just talking about it because he's banned here.

Maybe its because he's gotten rejected on so many different forums? Narcissistic for sure. But its just pinball and such a small group of people in this hobby.

Sometimes he's "refreshing" and other times completely idiotic. Just like his history here on Pinside! An interesting character for sure and why i do like him.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The thing podcasters, movie reviewers, game reviewers, that guy kicked out of the White House fear most is LOSING ACCESS. So they tow the company line.

Some people don't want to listen to negativity. Some people don't want to hear the prediction of the downfall of pinball ALL the time.

This company is going to collapse
    This company is going to collapse.

*company collapses*

See! I told you it would collapse! This is the ONLY podcast that will tell you the truth!

Oktoberfest is the worst theme ever

*no one from AP comes on his show*

I don't get why people don't want to come on my show! I'm respectful to all my guests!

Batman 66 SLE is a rip off and everyone who buys one is an idiot.

*buys Batman66 SLE*

It's the best game ever. It will hold price. But diamond edition Beatles is a rip off.

It's easy to be right when you take both sides and condridict yourself almost all the time.

Pinside can be an echo chamber sometimes especially when it pertains to negativity.

If only there was a way to prove that there are more people out there that enjoy things that aren't always concentrated on the negative.

Ohh wait there is.

Here is your episode on someone else's podcast.

And here is your episode 53 on our podcast.

The biggest thing I've noticed this year in Pinball is that everyone enjoys it differently. A title expensive games, cheap C titles. Restoring. Selling. Collection. P
    Playing tournaments, running tournaments. Creating pinballs, streaming.
    Let people enjoy the hobby they want to enjoy it.

If you spend time shitting on people for enjoying the same hobby differently than you then maybe you should take a step back. If someone wants to buy a supreme pinball machine then it shouldn't have any effect on your happiness in the hobby.

My tips for enjoying podcasts.
    Don't listen to them and do nothing else! Listen to them when you have time like driving, fixing pins etc.
    Don't listen on iTunes. Download a podcast app that's allows custom. Accelerated listening. Some people just sound better at 1.2 or 1.8x speed. Depending on how slow they talk and how fast your brain works.

Screenshot_20181209-163952_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181209-163952_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181209-164029_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181209-164029_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #78 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I don't get wasting so much of your life reading Pinside

Dude, Seriously? Like seriously? Guy who has made 17k+ posts talking about wasting so much time reading pinside? YOU'RE ON ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY.

LMAO

Just had to give you crap for that one.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

On a recent podcast, he even voted his own show "Worst Podcast" and explained it's because more than half of his inside info has turned out to be wrong.

So he's critical about his own show, too.

#80 5 years ago

I only listen to K-mans podcast and only when I'm driving to work. Don't always agree with him and I hate his Master and Tony voices. But I like that he doesn't kiss up to any companies.

I tried others but are too long or have too many inside jokes or stories that only the host knows (then laugh about for half the show). Also sometimes when they talk about something negative (K man lol) they get a whole clutching their pearls snowflake vibe.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Topic to answer the question and discuss.
    How many (if any) Pinball Podcasts do you regularly listen to/subscribe to?

I subscribe to 16, but a number of those do not even release an average of monthly (so regularly listen to is lower automatically). I have a long commute and got tired of paying for satellite radio. Pinball is the majority of my subscription list, but I also have video games, history, and a couple news-oriented ones mixed in.

I'm a bit confused at the broad-brush painting that all podcasts (well, except one) won't "tell it like it is" and are too soft on manufacturers. I have definitely had that vibe before, but only with a few shows. Slam Tilt and This Flippin' Podcast are two examples of where I listen and don't get the impression they pull their punches with any manufacturer. And some shows are pretty direct that they want their shows to be positive experiences and just avoid drama like that entirely.

Lots of choices out there. Style, content, duration, frequency, etc. I like a mix of these things to fill my drive. I have no recommendations really since what everyone likes is different, other than the full disclosure that I have a podcast too and don't recommend it here (if you didn't find it already then it probably isn't for you!).

#82 5 years ago

Pinball podcasts are part of my weekly routine given a long commute.

Just wanted to say thanks for those creating content. Hosts, guests, everyone involved.

I really do enjoy the business side of the discussion, would love to see the numbers of all the companies. Deep dive on the games are good along with playing tips. Fun segments always welcome. Things I personally am not interested in... drama, tons of tournament talk.

But reason for post is to say thx.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Dude, Seriously? Like seriously? Guy who has made 17k+ posts talking about wasting so much time reading pinside? YOU'RE ON ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY.
    LMAO
    Just had to give you crap for that one.

Lol, I thought about that as i was posting what i wrote. Yes i've wasted a lot of time and money on pinball. I love it though, not just talking about it

To be clear though, I'm NOT on all day, I actually have a job and work a lot. Dump breaks during the day? Sure

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Some people don't want to listen to negativity. Some people don't want to hear the prediction of the downfall of pinball ALL the time.
    This company is going to collapse.
    *company collapses*
    See! I told you it would collapse! This is the ONLY podcast that will tell you the truth!
    *no one from AP comes on his show*
    I don't get why people don't want to come on my show! I'm respectful to all my guests!
    *buys Batman66 SLE*
    It's the best game ever. It will hold price. But diamond edition Beatles is a rip off.
    It's easy to be right when you take both sides and condridict yourself almost all the time.
    Pinside can be an echo chamber sometimes especially when it pertains to negativity.
    If only there was a way to prove that there are more people out there that enjoy things that aren't always concentrated on the negative.
    Ohh wait there is.
    Here is your episode on someone else's podcast.
    And here is your episode 53 on our podcast.
    The biggest thing I've noticed this year in Pinball is that everyone enjoys it differently. A title expensive games, cheap C titles. Restoring. Selling. Collection. P
    Playing tournaments, running tournaments. Creating pinballs, streaming.
    Let people enjoy the hobby they want to enjoy it.
    If you spend time shitting on people for enjoying the same hobby differently than you then maybe you should take a step back. If someone wants to buy a supreme pinball machine then it shouldn't have any effect on your happiness in the hobby.
    My tips for enjoying podcasts.
    Don't listen to them and do nothing else! Listen to them when you have time like driving, fixing pins etc.
    Don't listen on iTunes. Download a podcast app that's allows custom. Accelerated listening. Some people just sound better at 1.2 or 1.8x speed. Depending on how slow they talk and how fast your brain works. [quoted image][quoted image]

I think even Chris would admit the over the top hypocrisy that he spins non stop. Excellent post btw.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

... Just wanted to say thanks for those creating content. Hosts, guests, everyone involved.
    I really do enjoy the business side of the discussion, would love to see the numbers of all the companies. Deep dive on the games are good along with playing tips. Fun segments always welcome. Things I personally am not interested in... drama, tons of tournament talk. ...

Agree.

Thanks to all podcasters for all the time and effort you put into each of your shows!

And ball by ball, game by game, tournament recaps as well as tournament/IFPA rules discussions are usually excruciatingly dull for me.

#86 5 years ago

Mr K does schill Stern a lot. And he was defending Beatles so hard you'd swear that game saved his life back in 'Nam.

His release schedule is rapid fire because it's just him. Doesn't have to rely on anybody. I do a monthly podcast with 2 other people and it's like herding cats to schedule times.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

K's is the only one unless one of the other shows have a guest I want to hear. There is a reason he won the TWIPY. To all the people making comments about how he talks or pronounces words feel free to upload a clip of yourself doing a podcast so we can hear the correct way. I respect anyone who does a podcast cause I surely couldn't do it and I would never make fun of how they talked regardless of whether or not I liked their podcast.

I wasn't making fun of him or saying I could do better. He holds himself above all others, trolls and stalks others he doesn't like and is quite nasty doing it. He also intentionally causes harm to people's businesses and calls it influence.

Given those things and many more, I have no bad feelings about pointing out his shortcomings.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Dump breaks during the day? Sure

17,600 posts
    7 years=2,555 days
    17,600 divided by 2,555 = 6.88 dumps per day

#89 5 years ago

17,600 posts
    7 years=2,555 days

Clearly Icey keeps up his fibre intake.

rd

#90 5 years ago

1. K’s Pinball Podcast
    2. Head 2 Head
    3. Mrs. Pin
    4. Straight Down The Middle

K drives me crazy but I enjoy his podcast the most. Someone compared him to Trump and I think that is a great comparison. K would be 100% more enjoyable if he could self-edit himself... just a little. Get rid of the most over the top language. Plus I kind feel like K disrespects his audience with his harsh statements (“you’re an idiot if you think this or that”). Odd behavior for someone in a sucesssful PR position. But overall, I’m drawn like a moth to the flame with good overall content delivered at a torrid pace.

Head 2 Head has really upped their game lately with some amazing interviews. I might have to vote for them this year in the Twippy’s.

Love me some Mrs. Pin when I need some happy pinball fun in my day.

For me, SDTM is more of a YouTube thing which I immensely enjoy. SDTM does the best new pinball machine reviews by far.

Every other pinball podcast I’ve heard is not good. I hate the tournament talk or “let’s see, what did I do this week...” that drones on for 20 minutes before any real talk begins.

#91 5 years ago

17,600 posts
    7 years=2,555 days

Actually close. 2 a day at least!

In my defense, many of those posts were before, during and after the Jpop fiasco! And of course the old days, when it was the wild west around here

I've done my share of drunk posting as well (not while in the toilet btw).

I like turning on a podcast when i'm hitting the bike, which is more frequent lately and a good thing.

#92 5 years ago

I listen to a variety of podcasts during my daily commute and when I’m working on pinball projects (usually on weekends). Of the pinball related ones I most consistently listen to:

Slam Tilt! (guilty pleasure #1): My fav I like the expertise and tech knowledge they bring to the show and their campy attempts at humour. Would agree that they seem tired lately and should take a step back. I hope they keep at maybe once a month or so. Would love a tech focussed podcast with Zach and Greg?, those guys really know their stuff.

Head2Head: very well done and can be good to great. Don’t mind a long podcast if there’s a reason for it. Not a fan of the negative slam the top 100 segment since they rarely have enough experience on the games it’s just a farce and a waste of time. Lately Martin has sounded like he’d rather be somewhere else so maybe it’s time to ease up a bit for these guys as well.

Special K: I auto download this so I can listen to episodes he deletes after he sobers up. Which is of course one reason he deletes episodes... His interviews are generally quite good he’s not afraid of putting folks on the spot a bit (without being too rude) which can lead to some compelling listening. However I can’t tolerate his solo episodes at all. It’s like you’re stuck in his head while he loops through the same boring negative crap over and over and over. Not a fan of how he conducts himself personally either, he lacks (necessary) healthy boundaries. My advice for him would be to stop drinking altogether.

I guess I’ll be in the market for a new regular once Slam Tilt! goes on hiatus. Any suggestions for someone who likes the repairs and technical topics?

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

You sound very “fustrated” by these criticisms...

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

... Slam Tilt! (guilty pleasure #1): My fav I like the expertise and tech knowledge they bring to the show and their campy attempts at humour. ...

I think Ron and Bruce at Slam Tilt provide the best all-around tech advice for solid state and newer games. They are true pinball "geeks" and seem to really know early Bally and older Stern games inside and out. I also appreciate their extensive gameplay knowledge of non-EM games.

Unfortunately (for my interests), they probably spend half their show on tournament related talk. I also wish that they weren't so dismissive of Pinside as a whole and a bit more open minded regarding certain aspects of the hobby. They've earned their pinhead stripes though and I can fully understand them wanting to take a break from weekly podcasting. I don't envy Bruce's work schedule at all in owning, managing, and maintaining a pinball bar; that has to be brutal!

#95 5 years ago

My favorite podcast used to be Pinheadz, with their top notch production values. Definite podcast of the year. Then they stopped.

I only listen to one now, and that's K's podcast. It's 90 minutes or less(the optimal length), NO boring tournament talk, and 100% controversial. No filter on what he says. Yes, he's the Howard Stern of pinball podcasts, and wouldn't have it any other way. He also has great guests on.

#96 5 years ago

Special When Lit has quickly become my favorite. Anyone who hasn't listened should give them a try.

#97 5 years ago

Not many mentions of the bro crew - bro do you even Pinball. They only do it once a month; but like they’ve said, more than that is overkill for a pinball podcast. Their content and material is top notch, to the point, and very well organized. I can listen from start to finish.

The others’ mentioned here are top notch too. For pinball related stuff; head to head and bro crew are my go to’s. For entertainment factor it’s K-man and SDTM. Keep up the hard work all.

#98 5 years ago

Periodically, if I have no time to talk to industry providers regarding recent events.

Sometimes it is interesting to hear others opinions. BUT, the reality of present pinball, sometimes, is far from the points presented, meaning truth and fiction are not hand in hand, such as the industry health, production, unit costs, company progress, and so on. They simply are not accurate in providing a clear cut present levels of success.

However, these days I have stepped away from the potential drama, especially after watching the wheels of time turn over again.
    Some of the best podcasts are those from the past with interviews from designers, company management, technicians, and distributors in the earlier days of the internet (10+ years ago) when things were less political and "filtered". Right now there are a number of people that are afraid of being "blacklisted", due to the size of present industry, and others who simply are not active anymore to care and left. This limits the pool of people who really understand and can report what is going on.

#99 5 years ago

Ive listened to many and only listen to 2 these days. SDTM on youtube is great. And K! I dont think anyone else even comes close to these guys.

#100 5 years ago

slam tilt podcast is the only one i listen to. head2head is too long. kpp is grating. tried others also, but didn't catch at all.

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/2?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.