Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
    #551 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some are pretty entertaining but man did he beg for twippy votes!!

I’ve enjoyed his latest shows, but he was definitely begging for votes.

Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm sure his dog and all his dog's friends voted for him, too.

27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    #552 5 years ago

LOL

#553 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Posted this to the wrong thread! Should have gone here. Sorry
    So I'm officially a fan of kanedas pinball podcast. Listening consistently now for a few months no question the best one I've heard period. Yes he has trouble reading emails and basically sounds illiterate but the guy is brilliant on the mic and thanks to this thread I now have what appears to be a pretty constant inflow of episodes that summarizes pinball in short enough bursts to effectively listen to.
    As a jjp POTC owner I would love to explain how easy that game is to understand once you pay attention but baby steps. Big K killing it.

I'm surprised you feel that way considering you own a POTC and recently owned a DI. Every time he talks about those games, it's obvious he doesn't know anything about them. Actually, when he talks about most pins, he just regurgitates on the negative aspects posted on Pinside.

I'm not sure he really even plays pinball all that much. His pinball obsession seems to be almost exclusive to failing manufacturers and new game releases (primarily due to his flipping of NIB pre-orders).

#554 5 years ago

Yes. Special When Lit is a great podcast. I look forward to it every week!

#555 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He was absolutely the first pinball podcaster and launched a genre

Two in particular to be podcasts and not just rambling tear everything down casts.

Talk Pinball and Top Cast.

LTG : )

#556 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

I'm surprised you feel that way considering you own a POTC and recently owned a DI. Every time he talks about those games, it's obvious he doesn't know anything about them. Actually, when he talks about most pins, he just regurgitates on the negative aspects posted on Pinside.
    I'm not sure he really even plays pinball all that much. His pinball obsession seems to be almost exclusive to failing manufacturers and new game releases (primarily due to his flipping of NIB pre-orders).

I wouldn't say he doesn't know anything about them. I think he's expressing what many feel about JJP Pirates and that it's intimidating and hard to follow when you first start. I would agree with him as when I first played it I had no idea what the ___ I was doing. Therefore, he's starting off with something i can relate to however he just needs someone who knows what's going on to help. Hardly something I would write him off for.

What this guy does so well is he delivers the latest in pinball effectively and efficiently. No long intro BS, no blabbing on about nonsense that is not pinball related - it's right into the show. Half these podcasts talk about how hard they work, but they don't get paid and then it's ass kissing city. I like this style - give me the news, comment on your opinion (right or wrong) and get out. No time for anything else. I like that.

#557 5 years ago

TopCast shows for those that were looking for them:
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

#558 5 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

TopCast shows for those that were looking for them:

Episode 42 is quite entertaining. In fact they all are, especially listening to some of these interviews at a time when the pinball industry's future was not looking so hot. I believe the Keith Johnson one was soon after he was laid off from stern.

#559 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I wouldn't say he doesn't know anything about them. I think he's expressing what many feel about JJP Pirates and that it's intimidating and hard to follow when you first start. I would agree with him as when I first played it I had no idea what the __ I was doing. Therefore, he's starting off with something i can relate to however he just needs someone who knows what's going on to help. Hardly something I would write him off for. ...

I agree that Kaneda's pinball opinions aren't his strongpoint, but they would be more impactful if he were more of a true player. As it is, he seems to try out newer games, but not play most enough to form a fully informed opinion beyond initial impressions, casual observations, and what others report. For example, Kaneda formed a negative opinion about Pirates from playing one in a NYC bar that was one of the first locations to have one. While he has admitted to knowing nothing about its code or shots, he has always since complained about the complexity of the game (22 characters to choose from, too many inserts, etc.), which ironically, is its greatest strength for the majority of those who own one - home collectors. To Kaneda's credit, he has asked for a JJP rep or someone familiar with it to explain to him why it's such a good game. Unfortunately, until someone does, he'll probably never appreciate the game's qualities as, unlike the typical pinhead, he won't invest the gameplay time on his own into learning how to truly enjoy it.

#560 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I agree that Kaneda's pinball opinions aren't his strongpoint, but they would be more impactful if he were more of a true player. As it is, he seems to try out newer games, but not play most enough to form a fully informed opinion beyond initial impressions, casual observations, and what others report. For example, Kaneda formed a negative opinion about Pirates from playing one in a NYC bar that was one of the first locations to have one. While he has admitted to knowing nothing about its code or shots, he has always since complained about the complexity of the game (22 characters to choose from, too many inserts, etc.), which ironically, is its greatest strength for the majority of those who own one - home collectors. To Kaneda's credit, he has asked for a JJP rep or someone familiar with it to explain to him why it's such a good game. Unfortunately, until someone does, he'll probably never appreciate the game's qualities as, unlike the typical pinhead, he won't invest the gameplay time on his own into learning how to truly enjoy it.

True. I agree with your assessment. Maybe that's why I relate to him bc unlike many here, I'm not a "true" player either. I don't do leagues, I don't spend a ton of time playing pinball, I'm not very good but I love the hobby, the passion the product and everything that is developed to make it better.

The way he reacts to games is a good barameter of how the casual or standard non die hard would. My initial reaction on jjp was the same. When I had people over for Christmas I literally had someone not approach my pirates bc they were overwhelmed by it.

I think we need to think broader appeal here. Similar argument for folks who say these games are too easy. Maybe for some who are the rain men of pinball but they shouldn't represent the "pinball" player. At least they can't if we went to see this game expand.

Just like I did, he will need to actually play jjp more to understand but his point is valid which was simply out of the gate first impressions - that game is not the clearest on what's going on.

#561 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

That makes two of us.
    I listen to his podcast at a minimum of double speed and that laugh track always cracks me up.

Make it three of us! The laugh track always brings a smile to my face. I even enjoy Kaneda's Master in small doses.

#562 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It was pretty much the exact same template people seem to love today.
    Lots of shittalk about RGPers (the pinsiders of the previous decade), lots of polarizing opinions, and interviews with not only RGPers but plenty of industry folks who were dumb enough to do his show.
    The only thing different is he wasn't very prolific...maybe once a month? But there was also only one pinball company at the time so it seemed to work for him.
    For all his faults - and there were many, he was a genuinely awful guy in many respects - you have to give ol' Gary Cubeta credit. He was absolutely the first pinball podcaster and launched a genre that at times overfills a much-needed void. For better or worse he proved there was an audience for it.

Yup.. just goes to show... the formula to manipulate people is old and faithful... and people keep falling for it over and over.

#563 5 years ago

I agree that Kaneda's pinball opinions aren't his strongpoint, but they would be more impactful if he were more of a true player

His problem is he's taken his opinion as a casual... along with his hairbrain marketing background (where you are rewarded for just spitballing and getting marginal success)... and taken that to mean he knows how to be successful in coin-op. What it takes to be successful, what makes games good or not. What is talent or not... and preaches from his flat as if he were the undiscovered truth the world really needs.

He takes the classic formula of just say a few things your audience agrees with, then use the credit to leap out to some unsupported spot and slip that into the narrative. It's the same formula used by alt-news and other skewed media to build credibility while projecting whatever your message is. "say what the lay really want to say..." - the audience grows an attachment like "hey, he is just like me...". And in doing so they build a connection that means the audience is more forgiving and open to suggestion from the source.

#564 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The way he reacts to games is a good barameter of how the casual or standard non die hard would. My initial reaction on jjp was the same. When I had people over for Christmas I literally had someone not approach my pirates bc they were overwhelmed by it.

Which is all well and fine except his podcast is geared to and listened by pinball enthusiasts and he expresses STRONG opinions about games. Opinions that would be of much more value if he spent a little more effort on doing his gameplay homework (including understanding the basic objectives and code features).

Your Christmas guest experience with Pirates is, unfortunately, typical for most non-pinheads who look at any of my newer games. Too many flashing lights and overwhelming playfield artwork/features leave many of my gameroom visitors hesitant to press the start buttons. Chris makes a good point in citing this as well in his constant urging for manufacturers not to rely on animations and artwork so much in creating a "magical" pinball experience.

#565 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

along with his hairbrain marketing background (where you are rewarded for just spitballing and getting marginal success)...

Come on now... He got Bonnie Tyler on a cruise ship. That's quite the accomplishment and the result of months of hard work!

#566 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yup.. just goes to show... the formula to manipulate people is old and faithful... and people keep falling for it over and over.

He's selling gold & silver below market prices. Should I buy some?

#567 5 years ago

Simply put Kaneda throws rocks and hides his hands. He sh!ts on manufactures on one episode & then invites them on the next one. When they don't accept his invitation he then spins the incident as if they are refusing to address some exaggerated issue as if he's the spokesperson for pinball. If I were a manufacture I wouldn't entertain his rhetoric either because he's a narcissist with nothing to lose but listeners vs customers! And what was with the podcast ceasefire episode!?!? He put H2H logo up as click bait when most podcasters wont even mention his name. Even when "Special when lit" was nice enough to include him in their year-end episode he turned around and cried victim because they edited his segment at the request of H2H. This bothered him so bad that he then played the unedited version on his show like it was a CNN world premier. DUDE GET OVER YOURSELF. And please explain to me how he's a high end collector with one (1) freakin' pin...WTF.

#568 5 years ago
    Quoted from rgb635:

Simply put Kaneda throws rocks and hides his hands. He sh!ts on manufactures on one episode & then invites them on the next one. When they don't accept his invitation he then spins the incident as if they are refusing to address some exaggerated issue as if he's the spokesperson for pinball. If I were a manufacture I wouldn't entertain his rhetoric either because he's a narcissist with nothing to lose but listeners vs customers! And what was with the podcast ceasefire episode!?!? He put H2H logo up as click bait when most podcasters wont even mention his name. Even when "Special when lit" was nice enough to include him in their year-end episode he turned around and cried victim because they edited his segment at the request of H2H. This bothered him so bad that he then played the unedited version on his show like it was a CNN world premier. DUDE GET OVER YOURSELF. And please explain to me how he's a high end collector with one (1) freakin' pin...WTF.

I’m a big fan of Kaneda, his podcast is quite entertaining.

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I’m a big fan of Kaneda

Jersey Shore & Jerry Springer both had many fans. You don't have to be good to be entertaining.
    Pinball Profile put out a couple great interviews this week.

#570 5 years ago

Clearly 2 sides...would be interesting to see a poll

Is Kansas a douchebag?

Yes
    No

#571 5 years ago

You can be a douche and still entertaining and have a valid POV. I should know, I fit firmly in this category.

#572 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I’m a big fan of Kaneda, his podcast is quite entertaining.

I see you're also from NYC.

You must see him out on location playing pinball all the time. I mean, how else would he be able to develop such well informed opinions on the hobby's newest pins?

#573 5 years ago

Great kaneda episode with Joe from Pinball Star. I thought he had a lot of good insight.

#574 5 years ago

I was grabbing the mini level out my pinball tackle box today and noticed these old stickers from The Silverball Podcast. I miss Rob and Steve (RIP). The original pinball smart asses before Kenada. They’d tell you if the pin was a “pooper.”

3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #575 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

His problem is he's taken his opinion as a casual... along with his hairbrain marketing background (where you are rewarded for just spitballing and getting marginal success)... and taken that to mean he knows how to be successful in coin-op. What it takes to be successful, what makes games good or not. What is talent or not... and preaches from his flat as if he were the undiscovered truth the world really needs.
    He takes the classic formula of just say a few things your audience agrees with, then use the credit to leap out to some unsupported spot and slip that into the narrative. It's the same formula used by alt-news and other skewed media to build credibility while projecting whatever your message is. "say what the lay really want to say..." - the audience grows an attachment like "hey, he is just like me...". And in doing so they build a connection that means the audience is more forgiving and open to suggestion from the source.

When k-man started his podcast he trashed JJP and praised Stern then he went trashing Stern and praising JJP. He has flip flopped twice now and is back to trashing Stern for the second time.That being said he must be alienating fans of the two biggest pin companies so the audience attachment theory does not seem to hold water

#576 5 years ago

Which is all well and fine except his podcast is geared to and listened by pinball enthusiasts and he expresses STRONG opinions about games. Opinions that would be of much more value if he spent a little more effort on doing his gameplay homework (including understanding the basic objectives and code features).
    Your Christmas guest experience with Pirates is, unfortunately, typical for most non-pinheads who look at any of my newer games. Too many flashing lights and overwhelming playfield artwork/features leave many of my gameroom visitors hesitant to press the start buttons. Chris makes a good point in citing this as well in his constant urging for manufacturers not to rely on animations and artwork so much in creating a "magical" pinball experience.

It has nothing to do with flashing lights and art it has to do with poor design. Any non-pinhead can drop coins into an AFM or a Stern ST and know what to do on the first ball.

#577 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Any non-pinhead can drop coins into [game] and know what to do on the first ball

Totally agree.

Totally disagree, unless you think they''ll understand "shoot flashing shots that all look equally important, keep randomly switching on you, and eventually disappear (until you shoot either of the two hardest shots in the game)...all while giving you completely non-obvious paths to multiball".

Lots of non-pinheads can step up to modern Sterns and figure out what to go for, but Star Trek is much closer to the bottom of that list than the top.

Agree that JJPs are the worst in that respect. (Although to be fair, lots of interesting mechanical things will happen if you just shoot around, even without knowing what you're doing).

#578 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It has nothing to do with flashing lights and art it has to do with poor design. Any non-pinhead can drop coins into an AFM or a Stern ST and know what to do on the first ball.

My post didn't attribute non-pinheads' confusion simply to just flashing lights and artwork, but regardless, I disagree with your contention that it's due rather to "poor design". There is A LOT going on with nearly all newer pinball games and non-pinhead visitors to my gameroom seem to universally be overwhelmed regardless of the game they step up to and play - including the Star Trek Premium that I own.

#579 5 years ago

My post didn't attribute non-pinheads' confusion simply to just flashing lights and artwork, but regardless, I disagree with your contention that it's due rather to "poor design". There is A LOT going on with nearly all newer pinball games and non-pinhead visitors to my gameroom seem to universally be overwhelmed regardless of the game they step up to and play - including the Star Trek Premium that I own.

I do think that the worst thing one could do with a non-pinhead is try and explain the rules. That in its self will just confuse them including Stern ST on the other hand they can step up and shoot at the lit shots and do quite well go figure lol

#580 5 years ago

Still one of the best "old skool" pinball podcasts, and I don't mean EM machines.
    New enthusiasts could learn a lot from this pinball history, especially considering the number of special guests, developers, artists, designers, and engineers. Unfortunate, the show only lasted 3 years.

logo.giflogo.gif
    #581 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Still one of the best "old skool" pinball podcasts, and I don't mean EM machines.
    New enthusiasts could learn a lot from this pinball history, especially considering the number of special guests, developers, artists, designers, and engineers. Unfortunate, the show only lasted 3 years.

They ran out of people to interview and called it a day.

Doesn’t stop people from continuing their shows well past their welcome these days, unfortunately.

3 weeks later
    #582 5 years ago

Is there a spot to download The Silverball Podcast? I can't find it anywhere

#583 5 years ago
    Quoted from NovaPin:

Is there a spot to download The Silverball Podcast? I can't find it anywhere

Rob dropped the website hosting. Is it still on iTunes?

#584 5 years ago

RobCraig said it's off line for now. Hopefully he'll upload the episodes to youtube. They're awesome

2 months later
    #585 4 years ago

I listen to this new one:
    (But I may be a bit biased.)

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3wXN3sxD4lDnpMuztonply?si=VWfvCR0eRMeN7LDI5X2LNw

Also available on Google,Breaker and RadioPublic.

https://www.breaker.audio/the-classic-pinball-podcast

-David (Dr. Dave)

(PS: George and Dave's Classic Pinball Podcast was months in the making and we really liked how episode one turned out. =)
    Hope you enjoy it as much as George and I enjoyed creating this with minimal editing. Just created this past Friday evening.
    Will be trying to put out a new episode out every week. Planning on recording Sundays and dropping into Spotify feed on Monday.)

1 week later
    #586 4 years ago

Pintastic's 1st TRIPLE CROWN WINNER of Best in Play Pintastic 2019 Ryan McQuaid is interviewed as well as the other 8 category / era winners as well as our take on the Pintastic show this past weekend on our freshly released episode 2 of The Classic Pinball Podcast:

https://www.breaker.audio/the-classic-pinball-podcast

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/12?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.