Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from CarShark:I used to subscribe to many different podcasts, but I've dropped nearly all of them over time....At least everybody gets what they ordered in a reasonable time with Spooky.

perhaps you shouldnt have stopped listening to podcasts.

#502 5 years ago

There are opinions, and then there are informed perspectives when it comes to podcasts. It is like fine wine when it comes to providing entertainment and information at the same time.

Many podcasts rarely go into detail of companies such as the overlooked Deeproot's present claim to mythical greatness, P3's lack of continued sales, JJP's absence of profitable income after FOUR games, Spooky delivery deadline drops, and AP's production capability shortfalls. We are not at the end of companies that will falter, it is partially recession based and the rest on the "one and done" potential failures of games of how many times a company can absorb losses.

It is easy to cite companies that failed now (some which were accurately predicted as early as late 2014 and early 2015!), but many people were unwilling to accept it at the time even when poor business practices were clear and financial evidence was provided.

Interested pinball purists need a cohesive understanding source, not a cheerleader podcast. This means actual research (including history) and solid guests. Tournament podcasts don't offer much in this area. It is not a particular surprise that quite a few podcasters are stopping, because the industry is also showing signs of slowing due to recession, which is not the same area as private sales or general pinball interest. You cannot report industry developments that do not exist. Old game reviews don't endear audiences. The other primary reason is those listed podcasters have simply moved onto other hobbies, or are becoming "dormant" for a multitude of reasons, but machine cost is a common occurrence. This hobby can lose its luster pretty fast when a person is priced out.

#503 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is not a particular surprise that quite a few podcasters are stopping,

You also run out of people to interview pretty fast if you do a lot of podcasts.

LTG : )

#504 5 years ago

Many podcasts rarely go into detail of companies such as the overlooked Deeproot's present claim to mythical greatness, P3's lack of continued sales, JJP's absence of profitable income after FOUR games, Spooky delivery deadline drops, and AP's production capability shortfalls. We are not at the end of companies that will falter, it is partially recession based and the rest on the "one and done" potential failures of games of how many times a company can absorb losses.

the ability to present and openly discuss actual industry issues such as these is woefully lakcing. if addressed, an open exchange of ideas might actually bring about improvement through change for the better. instead, it rarely happens due to political correctness and a lack of free speech fostered by a conditioned environment.

It is easy to cite companies that failed now (some which were accurately predicted as early as late 2014 and early 2015!), but many people were unwilling to accept it at the time even when poor business practices were clear and financial evidence was provided.

buyers continue to turn a blind eye to industry issues, even when the truth is directly in front of their faces. instead, they view the hobby through their rose colored glasses as manufacturers mesmerize them with the prospects of the next new title; regardless of whether is it complete enough, tested properly, or when they may actually receive it.

the industry is also showing signs of slowing due to recession ... machine cost is a common occurrence. This hobby can lose its luster pretty fast when a person is priced out.

nice to see someone who can present a cohesive summary of the pinball 'renaissance'.

renaissance02 (resized).jpgrenaissance02 (resized).jpg
    #505 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

the ability to present and openly discuss actual industry issues such as these is woefully lakcing. if addressed, an open exchange of ideas might actually bring about improvement through change for the better. instead, it rarely happens due to political correctness and a lack of free speech fostered by a conditioned environment.

..or asking you right??

Your shtick is so blatant...

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:Your shtick is so blatant...

does that mean you agree with xtheblacknightx as well?

#507 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You also run out of people to interview pretty fast if you do a lot of podcasts.
    LTG : )

Kman is "hyper podcasting" late in the game here to ramp up TWIPY votes if he can.

The problem is you can't do so many podcasts and make them all interesting.

The CEO Dave episodes were F ing AWFUL and boring BUT the last one talking about "hype" gets my vote for one of the all time worst podcasts.

It goes to show you what a HUGE gap there is on how he thinks about himself and how others view him.

30 minutes of pinball "hype" buying advice from a guy that CAN'T BUY ANOTHER PINBALL MACHINE was kind of a joke. As if the self proclaimed "greatest marketer in the world" really had some kind of insight that anybody didn't already know and realize in this pinball hobby?

Then he finishes it off by whining about Special When Lit editing his "contribution" to their year end podcast.

Dude, the Team Mafia act isn't funny, neither is the non stop playing of the "laugh trax" of Marty and your former buddy. It's STUPID and NOT FUNNY.

Thus, my vote for Worst podcast of the year!

It did at least end before my bike workout did thankfully.

#508 5 years ago

I really enjoyed the Special When Lit podcast interview with Todd Tuckey. It was a interesting and entertaining look into the hobby. I’d definitely recommend you listen to that episode if you enjoy arcade and pinball. Great work guys, enjoying your podcasts

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Kman is "hyper podcasting" late in the game here to ramp up TWIPY votes if he can.
    The CEO Dave episodes were F ing AWFUL and boring BUT the last one talking about "hype" gets my vote for one of the all time worst podcasts.
    It goes to show you what a HUGE gap there is on how he thinks about himself and how others view him.
    30 minutes of pinball "hype" buying advice from a guy that CAN'T BUY ANOTHER PINBALL MACHINE was kind of a joke. As if the self proclaimed "greatest marketer in the world" really had some kind of insight that anybody didn't already know and realize in this pinball hobby?
    Then he finishes it off by whining about Special When Lit editing his "contribution" to their year end podcast.
    Dude, the Team Mafia act isn't funny, neither is the non stop playing of the "laugh trax" of Marty and your former buddy. It's STUPID and NOT FUNNY.

Well Doug, I liked this last one a helluva lot more than the CEO Dave one. The hype jive is real brother, just wait till Munsters is revealed.

#510 5 years ago

k-mans podcasts are still the best like it or not!!

Back to Back TWIPY on its way...

#511 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Well Doug, I liked this last one a helluva lot more than the CEO Dave one. The hype jive is real brother, just wait till Munsters is revealed.

The "hype" story is real as we both know! Everybody does. It's not a surprise to anyone.

You can always wait and get any pin cheaper later on down the road. That's the smart thing to do in every case Kvan.

BUT, people just like to buy what they want and play it from day one.

The LE wheels are about to fall off anyhow.

500-600 of anything at those prices is not "scarce". Been saying it for years.

$5500-$6500 is the sweet spot for most newer pins on the secondary market. People are gonna get tired of paying $9k for a pin they can't sell after the fact.

And yes he's 100% right about JJP re their clueless CE/LE/SE strategy. Stupid.

#512 5 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

k-mans podcasts are still the best like it or not!!
    Back to Back TWIPY on its way...

That's saying very little. That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's saying very little. That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

What podcast is better? I do not drink coffee.. LOL.

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I actually thought the hype one was decent, as someone who doesn't go after the all the latest games before playing them. I've been waiting for years for people to stop buying on hype. People didn't buy new games on hype until Tron, now a large portion of the people in the hobby do, which has also led to things like poor code for quite a while. It's basically priced me out of the hobby for the past 6 years, my last NIB was AC/DC premium.

So you as a buyer who typically is on the hype train, I can see why you wouldn't find that episode entertaining, but for people not on it, I thought it was decent.

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I actually thought the hype one was decent, as someone who doesn't go after the all the latest games.

I thought it was an interesting episode as well. I've definitely succumbed to the hype train in the past and regardless of the fact that Kaneda is unable to own more than one game at a time himself due to space limitations, I think he raises a lot of good questions that many of us in the hobby should be asking ourselves.

I do agree with iceman regarding the "CEO Dave" episodes though in that I've found them to be boring for the most part. Enough with the pinball company over-analysis already!

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Mostly agree. I guess not everyone is as clear in their thinking/understanding of these things so maybe it was useful to spell it out.

The HUGE thing that Special K misses about the hype train is that it can be really FUN to be on it! ...and that's the whole point, isn't it? Spend your money how you like and if jumping on the pre-order LE bandwagon sight-unseen is your thing, go for it!

Honestly, I don't see Special K actually enjoying much related to pinball these days, except his nipples get hard if he can find or manufacture a "scandal" to focus on. His idea of humour is always cringy as hell too. That H2H laugh track is just stalkerish/creepy - and he wonders why Ryan might not be his buddy anymore? He seems to be envious that H2H have a genuine blast doing their show and he, well, doesn't. Hard to party by yourself I guess. I kind of pity him when so often his behavour is a huge cry for attention/help.

Having said that, when he's upbeat and professional it's a much better experience for everyone involved. Since he's apparently not going to go away anytime soon, here's my advice for improving the show: Don't try to be explictly funny, not your strength. It's okay to be positive about the hobby while still being "realistic". No need to make anything personal, keep it professional. Try not to dwelve on the negatives excessively, everything in life is a mixed bag of good and bad. Find a regular partner or two to join you, the shows with others on them are always better and it's a lot easier to have fun with someone else to bounce energy off of. Oh, and the biggy, avoid compulsively posting episodes in the "heat of the moment". Sleep on it and then decide if it meets your criteria before posting.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Mostly agree. I guess not everyone is as clear in their thinking/understanding of these things so maybe it was useful to spell it out.
    The HUGE thing that Special K misses about the hype train is that it can be really FUN to be on it! ...and that's the whole point, isn't it? Spend your money how you like and if jumping on the pre-order LE bandwagon sight-unseen is your thing, go for it!
    Honestly, I don't see Special K actually enjoying much related to pinball these days, except his nipples get hard if he can find or manufacture a "scandal" to focus on. His idea of humour is always cringy as hell too. That H2H laugh track is just stalkerish/creepy - and he wonders why Ryan might not be his buddy anymore? He seems to be envious that H2H have a genuine blast doing their show and he, well, doesn't. Hard to party by yourself I guess. I kind of pity him when so often his behavour is a huge cry for attention/help.
    Having said that, when he's upbeat and professional it's a much better experience for everyone involved. Since he's apparently not going to go away anytime soon, here's my advice for improving the show: Don't try to be explictly funny, not your strength. It's okay to be positive about the hobby while still being "realistic". No need to make anything personal, keep it professional. Try not to dwelve on the negatives excessively, everything in life is a mixed bag of good and bad. Find a regular partner or two to join you, the shows with others on them are always better and it's a lot easier to have fun with someone else to bounce energy off of. Oh, and the biggy, avoid compulsively posting episodes in the "heat of the moment". Sleep on it and then decide if it meets your criteria before posting.

Excellent observations and advice Fytr! If you are going to host a podcast you must be able to articulate your views as opinions when warranted and source your facts to give legitimacy to your presentation. Special K mostly speaks as if he's all knowing and factual or as if he sits on the executive board of many of these companies when in fact his views are simply outsider pontification. Very annoying when compared to other more sensible podcast that address the negative and positive within the hobby in humble and informative ways. And how can you be a high end collector with one machine??? The last Hype episode was average for him but the damn "CENSORING" rant was just sad....OMG such a cry for attention. As lucky as he was that Special When Lit even included him in their year end episode you can all but bet that was the last time that will happen! Geez man...

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I actually thought the hype one was decent, as someone who doesn't go after the all the latest games before playing them. I've been waiting for years for people to stop buying on hype. People didn't buy new games on hype until Tron, now a large portion of the people in the hobby do, which has also led to things like poor code for quite a while. It's basically priced me out of the hobby for the past 6 years, my last NIB was AC/DC premium.
    So you as a buyer who typically is on the hype train, I can see why you wouldn't find that episode entertaining, but for people not on it, I thought it was decent.

The “hype train” is part of the FUN Taylor! Without it, Pinside would be like watching paint dry

And I don’t want to die of old age waiting for prices to come down

I honestly am a big believer in waiting EXCEPT for great themes that I love. And Stern has been pumping out some favorites for me lately so I don’t wait on those

Let’s see, TWD, GB, BM66, AS and Beatles. Love em. Sold IMDN.

#519 5 years ago

Kman is very thin skinned for a guy that likes to troll and beat up on everybody.

Like you said Fytr, that laugh track he does mocking Marty and Ryan is terrible and not funny and he wonders why people avoid him

I do view it as “fun and games” but he doesn’t understand where the line is on good natured ball busting

The podcast is good for him. He can be the legend in his own mind! “I’m the greatest marketer and podcaster in the world”

If you were around long enough on Pinside, just think about those threads and what he did and how he acted. An Over the line non stop drama filled dumpster fire.

His podcast is no different than his posting, just now there is no one to beat him down. Just like he likes it

And “at the end of the day” he’s just a harmless dude that craves attention. Definitely an interesting character

#520 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Kman is very thin skinned for a guy that likes to troll and beat up on everybody.
    Like you said Fytr, that laugh track he does mocking Marty and Ryan is terrible and not funny and he wonders why people avoid him
    I do view it as “fun and games” but he doesn’t understand where the line is on good natured ball busting
    The podcast is good for him. He can be the legend in his own mind! “I’m the greatest marketer and podcaster in the world”
    If you were around long enough on Pinside, just think about those threads and what he did and how he acted. An Over the line non stop drama filled dumpster fire.
    His podcast is no different than his posting, just now there is no one to beat him down. Just like he likes it
    And “at the end of the day” he’s just a harmless dude that craves attention. Definitely an interesting character

975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    #521 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The “hype train” is part of the FUN Taylor! Without it, Pinside would be like watching paint dry
    And I don’t want to die of old age waiting for prices to come down
    I honestly am a big believer in waiting EXCEPT for great themes that I love. And Stern has been pumping out some favorites for me lately so I don’t wait on those
    Let’s see, TWD, GB, BM66, AS and Beatles. Love em. Sold IMDN.

RGP was totally fine without the hype train. I was on it for 6 years before the Tron/Pinside explosion.

If you bought 5 games without waiting, you're not really a believer in waiting, lol. Unless you bought them like a year or two after release when they were more finished.

The same thing happens in video games, people get hyped up to preorder them as well at collectors edition prices before the reviews even come out. Even waiting 2 days there will get you a review and save you money like 1/2 the time. Hype only benefits the seller.

#522 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I tried looking back at some of his old posts. Honestly, I couldn't find that much...if that was the hurdle to be crossed to be banned, there are a lot of other people that probably deserved the same ban. I think the KLOV thing followed him over and made it impossible for him to exist. I think the post that got him banned was the hobbit ramp thing where he was just reporting a location problem? I do remember some of his posts to be rather pointless though, no more than anyone else's like ODin.

As far as the podcasts go, I do know that he has gone out of his way to give props to other podcasts on occasion. When I listen to those other podcasts though, that same gesture is not returned, in fact I've listened to some pretty childish behavior from some of the others (not saying there hasn't been childish behavior on Kaneda's, there has, but the others are not innocent). In fact the whole Ryan and Marty thing, I think that they originally started the thing making fun of him during a pretty long segment on their podcast where they took his sayings and made fun of him (they were friends at the time, all in good fun I think). So he just took their laugh track and now that relationship is evidently gone. I think the Slam Tilt podcast was one way back when he gave them props and I actually started listening to them because of him...then on a later episode they go out of their way to crap on him, and I haven't listened to them again.

I honestly don't remember him saying anything that bad about any pinsiders except Whysnow and Aurich. And now it's just Whysnow. He generally says good things about you, Levi, etc. I think he did give you a ribbing over your Beatles sales thread though, lol.

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I honestly don't remember him saying anything that bad about any pinsiders except Whysnow and Aurich.

Oh he was taking the piss out of me for a while until we buried the hatchet...and then I did the show a few times lol

#524 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I tried looking back at some of his old posts. Honestly, I couldn't find that much...if that was the hurdle to be crossed to be banned, there are a lot of other people that probably deserved the same ban.

I never found his posting that bad actually...but he just wouldn't stop talking when told.

#525 5 years ago

Listened to Head 2 Head for the third time Zach Sharp interview once again love the interview had to turn off soon as the interview was over as I hate to listen to them talk thank god for their interviews

#526 5 years ago

I am on strike in 2019 until random dude on the internet 'JY64' enjoys my podcast.
    Or at least gets his thumbs ratio from 37.2% to 50%. All this miserable dude needs is some love.

#527 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

... I've listened to some pretty childish behavior from some of the others (not saying there hasn't been childish behavior on Kaneda's, there has, but the others are not innocent)... then on a later episode they go out of their way to crap on him, and I haven't listened to them again.

I'm in the same boat. There are two podcasts that really decided to act just as childish about the situation (either here or on podcast)... then take their ball home. It's lame. Ultimately, it's obvious that these guys are all buddies and have all decided to follow the same script. It's easy to see why it happened, especially since they all seem super friendly with each other. But it's the way that it's executed that's lacking class. You don't fight classlessness with classlessness.

These same podcasts jump all over the vibe on pinside, ironically by complaining and ripping on pinside. It's a cycle that I really have zero interest in focusing on... and, honestly, the entire pinside experience is easily shaped and controlled by user controls. You can wipe out annoyances in a matter of weeks by hitting the mute button and going to threads you enjoy. I don't understand why they can't just use the controls and move on?

A lot like you, I've decide to cut bait and just focus my listening on things that fall outside of the echo chamber.

This is all one of the reasons Tommy and Taylor on TFP are awesome... they pretty much keep their head above water and give you great hobby talk. What a great show.

#528 5 years ago

I guess I am in the minority, but I liked the CEO Dave shows. Found the SWOT analysis thing an interesting tool (I'm not a business/marketing guy). However, as with most of his interviews, K interrupts the other guy a lot or makes his own opinions the center of discussion. "But don't you agree about _", seems to be his most frequent line. But, at the end of the day, his is the Podcast I listen to the most. I'd like the Buffalo guys a lot more if they'd dial back the tourney talk...I do really enjoy their game reviews. Oh, and I also must be the only one who enjoys the well placed Marty/Ryan laugh track bit. But K needs to drop the Mafia pinball hate and dial back the negative JJP rants. "I love JJP and want them to succeed, but...." ENOUGH K-man...I know you are reading this!

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I also must be the only one who enjoys the well placed Marty/Ryan laugh track bit

That makes two of us.
    I listen to his podcast at a minimum of double speed and that laugh track always cracks me up.

#530 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I never found his posting that bad actually...but he just wouldn't stop talking when told.

aka Whysnow

#531 5 years ago

No I've found many many many issues with Whysnow's postings

#532 5 years ago

so update on my experience of listening to this kaneda's podcast - never knew who he was before, don't know the details of what happened in the past. Just judging the current podcasts I've been listening to for the first time (his recent ones) and.....I love them. I really enjoy listening to the guy. I don't always agree with his comments (latest example - applauding munsters and saying he can't understand how the MET/GOTG/you name it recycled layout is not fresh.....whaaa?? While not acknowledging true fresh layouts like POTC, even DI and others like Octoberfest which at least looks fresh is a little jarring) BUT I really think he puts things into perspective and generally hits the nail on the head. Less pinball ass kissing is a little refreshing and he's concise - gets to the point and doesn't drag on like many of the others do (resulting in shorter but effective episodes) plus, and I could be wrong but at the very least, I'm not hearing about how much effort he puts in and how he doesn't get paid for it like I hear all the time recently from others. Seriously don't do the damn podcast if you need to remind people of this every time.

To summarize, it's def my fav podcast along with my boys in Buffalo. NY / Upstate representing.

#533 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

gets to the point and doesn't drag on like many of the others do plus,...

First time that's been uttered by fan or foe.

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

As you know Law, the forum has dramatically "evolved" over our time here.

When Pinside went from wild to mild he didn't adjust or conform

I don't care what anyone thinks, when you commit to 300 podcasts and counting, that is an impressive feat in and of itself.

To get up at 6 am and crank out a podcast rant is WAY beyond anything I'd ever think to consider!

There is a lot to love and hate about Kman. That's the beauty of busting his balls and vice versa!

I look forward to a visit with him soon

#535 5 years ago

K's podcast is his way of communicating to pinside members.
    That's my take on it anyway.

#536 5 years ago

ok so circling back around here a bit... due to short commutes to work I was never really a podcast kind of guy, and I hate to wear headphones at work so I cant listen there... but I have been trying out more and more... love the new Slap Save guys (although I think I have to call the tip line on a few items. LOL) I enjoy TWIP... and I can do Kaneda's (although to me its Canada) lol, but him and I are going to have to work on his "t's" ... Kaneda, its not buddon, its BUTTON... come on brother.

the newest one I am trying is "special when lit", and so far I like what I am hearing there as well. so kudos to you guys for putting this content out there for us to enjoy. thank you keep up the great work my pinball friends.

#537 5 years ago

I only listen to Kaneda and have from day one and still enjoy his podcasts. After listening to Special when lit I found I also enjoyed there podcasts very perfesonal keep up the good work guys.

1 week later
    #538 5 years ago

I started listening to a lot of different podcasts lately. I’m relatively new to the hobby, so I really appreciate Mrs Pins pinball for dummies segments. I do enjoy hearing about new games, however, I’m someone who won’t be able to afford a NIB game for a year or so, so hearing about Munsters on several podcasts is overkill. I also like the shows that are under 1 hour. 3 hours even at 1.5 times is too long! I’ll check out Kaneda now that I know the spelling. Right now, my two favorites are Mrs Pin and Slap Save.

2 weeks later
    #539 5 years ago

Posted this to the wrong thread! Should have gone here. Sorry

So I'm officially a fan of kanedas pinball podcast. Listening consistently now for a few months no question the best one I've heard period. Yes he has trouble reading emails and basically sounds illiterate but the guy is brilliant on the mic and thanks to this thread I now have what appears to be a pretty constant inflow of episodes that summarizes pinball in short enough bursts to effectively listen to.

As a jjp POTC owner I would love to explain how easy that game is to understand once you pay attention but baby steps. Big K killing it.

#540 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

.. Big K killing it.

Yeah - good info and entertainment overall. A lot more time invested in playing and understanding games by Kaneda would be nice rather than simply condemning them based on limited gameplay as he has on some.

Oh ... and dump his "Master" too. No matter how that has been presented, it has been hard to listen to.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

started listening to a lot of different podcasts lately. I’m relatively new to the hobby,

Listen to the old episodes of TOPcast. Interviews with some of the giants of the industry.

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Listen to the old episodes of TOPcast. Interviews with some of the giants of the industry.

Agreed. If you’re looking for pinball history, TOPcast is the best. Clay had a hard time getting many of those interviews and they were done at a time when pinball wasn’t too popular. The Pat Lawlor one in particular was really good. You can hear the disgruntled man in some of his discussion.

#543 5 years ago

I had all of the TOPcast in my old iTunes library but they disappeared...anyone know how to get these back?

#544 5 years ago

Top Cast is great.

Few remember TopCast was a reaction to the original pinball podcast troll, Gary. That dude invented the pinball troll playbook, and then one day, POOF, he was gone! It was a strange time. The Top Cast archive is the best thing to come out of it.

I thought it was funny when new Gary came around and nobody seemed to remember we'd seen it all before. Not sure if Gary's RGP Radio podcasts still exist anywhere but if you can dig 'em people here would absolutely love 'em.

#545 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yeah - good info and entertainment overall. A lot more time invested in playing and understanding games by Kaneda would be nice rather than simply condemning them based on limited gameplay as he has on some.
    Oh ... and dump his "Master" too. No matter how that has been presented, it has been hard to listen to.

Some are pretty entertaining but man did he beg for twippy votes!!

Does anyone really care that much? Or at all?

#546 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some are pretty entertaining but man did he beg for twippy votes!!
    Does anyone really care that much? Or at all?

oh you did it now, the next K podcast will have ANOTHER 30 minute rant about how important (or impordant in his words.) TWIPY's are to him...

#547 5 years ago

I didn't mind Kaneda asking for votes on his show, and I voted for him; but I rolled my eyes when he was posting in regional facebook groups asking for votes.

It's ok if you need the award for validation of the hard work and time commitment (because apparently the 1,500+ regular downloads aren't enough validation?), but saying you didn't beg is fodder for those to make fun of you. The award clearly means more to you than most others. There's nothing wrong about it, just admit it because it erodes trust in regular listeners like myself.

#548 5 years ago

I'm sure his dog and all his dog's friends voted for him, too.

#549 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

thought it was funny when new Gary came around and nobody seemed to remember we'd seen it all before. Not sure if Gary's RGP Radio podcasts still exist anywhere but if you can dig 'em people here would absolutely love 'em.

I tried to find them out of sheer curiousity, but never was able to. They seem to have been lost forever.

TOPCast was interesting. It was a pioneering podcast, even before podcasting in general caught on. It was funny to hear the caller ID data audio piped in.

#550 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I tried to find them out of sheer curiousity, but never was able to. They seem to have been lost forever.

It was pretty much the exact same template people seem to love today.

Lots of shittalk about RGPers (the pinsiders of the previous decade), lots of polarizing opinions, and interviews with not only RGPers but plenty of industry folks who were dumb enough to do his show.

The only thing different is he wasn't very prolific...maybe once a month? But there was also only one pinball company at the time so it seemed to work for him.

For all his faults - and there were many, he was a genuinely awful guy in many respects - you have to give ol' Gary Cubeta credit. He was absolutely the first pinball podcaster and launched a genre that at times overfills a much-needed void. For better or worse he proved there was an audience for it.

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/11?hl=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.