Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
    #451 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why? What's the point? What's the desired outcome?

True that Law. If it was “respectful” Jonesy it wouldn’t be any fun and certainly not worth listening to

It would have to be an unedited and unfiltered cage match and I’m not sure I’d want something like that floating around the internet. The T man doesn’t seem to care though

It would be funny but what’s the point right?

#452 5 years ago

Just finished listening to Chris's latest episode from this morning. Whoa. That was ... something. I like the positive, happy Kaneda much more.

Don't be mean Chris. Think happy seasonal thoughts like ...

Oktoberfest!!!

#453 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ok just finished my workout

#454 5 years ago

love ya Ice don't go changing on me!

#455 5 years ago

so I'm an avid supporter of fellow NY'ers and gave the latest podcast a listen. For anyone who cares - impressions of this Kaneda guy - first time listening:

1) The podcast is definitely different than others b/c he's much more critical - for an industry where so many have heads up companies asses, I appreciate that. He's saying things that others like myself and some other critical guys have said on these boards although that brings me to point 2.

2) I disagree with a lot that he says. This concept of lack of magic in new games - I don't agree. Example - he goes on and on about not being able to shoot the cannon in POTC - that's b/c he clearly doesn't understand the rules. I know that b/c I couldn't shoot the damn cannon either when I first played it! If it was super easy, it would lose that magic. I do agree with his assessment of sterns success....

I do like his passion even if I don't agree. I think in the points where I don't agree I can see the silver lining and what is likely his point though (JJP cannon doesn't shoot = how can JJP make the rule set clearer to the newbie and JJP making dumb decision = JJP needs to be more effective in building and marketing their superior product).

3) Here's my biggest takeaway that I think could really help the show. He obviously cares SO much about what people think but then says he doesn't care. It comes across as weak. I know he's reading this thread (and this website) so my suggestion to him would be to not talk about others comments so much and defending yourself. I would suggest continue what you're doing, giving your opinion and move on to the next topic. Let your opinion and underlying support speak for itself. Naming people like "ice" and others - it comes off as childish and whiny. Who cares. The only exception would be responding to someone news worthy - for example, I like Ice but he's a random pinsider in Texas. However if Jack or someone from JJP makes a comment about the podcast, you jump on that and respond. It spotlights your product and would be a good choice to respond back. See the diff?

Overall I can see how he can piss people off - def a direct guy on many things. I'll continue listening and maybe check out some of the older shows. Always enjoy more pinball podcast.

One last (non kineda related) comment - one thing that bothers me on podcasts is when the person says how hard the podcast is to do and how much time they spend and how they don't make money, etc. Not sure how others feel but it's really annoying to hear. No one is requiring you to do it. If you don't want to spend the time, don't do it. I appreciate that folks are doing it as I enjoy listening and I've given cash to some to support but I rather not hear about this during the show.

#457 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why? What's the point? What's the desired outcome?

Entertainment. Because neither of them are curing cancer or eradicating homelessness, I would take the time to listen to those two talk pinball. That's it! I could read the 9 paragraph post on his thoughts each time Kaneda puts out a show but to be honest I dont, but I would listen to two people interact about it. Like the rest of our society, why read the book when you can watch the movie?

#458 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

so I'm an avid supporter of fellow NY'ers and gave the latest podcast a listen. For anyone who cares - impressions of this Kaneda guy:

Good takeaways and points.

FWIW, if this was the first episode of Kaneda's podcast that you've listened to, it was far from one of his best IMHO. Too much repetitive ranting as in some past drunk episodes of his.

#459 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

Entertainment. Because neither of them are curing cancer or eradicating homelessness, I would take the time to listen to those two talk pinball. That's it! I could read the 9 paragraph post on his thoughts each time Kaneda puts out a show but to be honest I dont, but I would listen to two people interact about it. Like the rest of our society, why read the book when you can watch the movie?

Exactly. Totally agree.

#460 5 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

love ya Ice don't go changing on me!

I workout now to drink more beer Billy!

#461 5 years ago

Honestly, to spend the time all of them do on these podcasts, including Chris, is pretty impressive in and of itself

I like the F bombs and critical analysis for Chris

Good variety of podcasters. Everybody kind of has their lanes

#462 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Good takeaways and points.
    FWIW, if this was the first episode of Kaneda's podcast that you've listened to, it was far from one of his best IMHO. Too much repetitive ranting as in some past drunk episodes of his.

Yep - first one. I am now listening to an episode where he's talking about predator and whether this guy who traded it for POTC CE was a good deal and I COMPLETELY agree with him. What in the hell was that guy thinking - selling one of the rarest games for POTC CE which will drop 1.5k as soon as its unboxed - that was a dumb move. So I agree with that.

He also seems MUCH more calm - I'm digging this episode.

#463 5 years ago

Well Predator is a horrible game.

#464 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Yep - first one. I am now listening to an episode where he's talking about predator and whether this guy who traded it for POTC CE was a good deal and I COMPLETELY agree with him. What in the hell was that guy thinking - selling one of the most rarest games for POTC CE which will drop 1.5k as soon as its unboxed - that was a dumb move. So I agree with that.

Well, are you assuming it was a straight swap?

Also... predator is a novelty... not a pinball to play

#465 5 years ago

I don't know just going off the podcast apparently it was straight swap. If so that was a bad deal for the predator owner.

Also he talks about Beatles being a collector's game only - totally agree. Primus being garbage except for art package and completely missed the market demands - agree as well although I think Stern was already paid for those right?

I'm def more in favor of this episode.

He's spot on with the topper market that Stern is just missing out on as fools are paying whatever for toppers to add. BIG money is there for someone who actually takes the time and designs a topper that is available DAY 1 of the game release as people are super hyped.

#466 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well Predator is a horrible game.

You're missing the point. I'm not taking about the quality of the pin I'm taking about and he's talking about the perceived market value. The rarity alone propels this game past the value of POTC CE especially considering that game drops big time once it's open. They haven't even sold out of those yet.

#467 5 years ago

I just assumed he didnt really know that trade details and was just talking.

Then he amazingly came up with the idea that toppers would sell if they made them... Truly a visionary.

#468 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I don't know just going off the podcast apparently it was straight swap

Not according to the owner of the game - Tim Fife - when he told everyone else on Facebook about the sale in the first place. This is just yet another example of how people can't trust what they hear on that podcast. He doesn't know what he's talking about and is more eager to say something to get a reaction than he's worried about what it means.

As for Primus - its going to be the easiest selling of the WoahNellie-Rethemes - make note of that now.

#469 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Not according to the owner of the game - Tim Fife - when he told everyone else on Facebook about the sale in the first place. This is just yet another example of how people can't trust what they hear on that podcast. He doesn't know what he's talking about and is more eager to say something to get a reaction than he's worried about what it means.
    As for Primus - its going to be the easiest selling of the WoahNellie-Rethemes - make note of that now.

Yeah no idea if that's really what happened just reacting but again it's pinball so I don't take it that seriously!

He also mentioned dialed in only sold 1500? I'm assuming that's not confirmed bc that's crazy low of so.

#470 5 years ago

Great recent Holiday Special episode of Special When Lit. Amazing how many voices they got on the episode and all the work that went into it. Fantastic listen if you get the chance!

#471 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

He also mentioned dialed in only sold 1500? I'm assuming that's not confirmed bc that's crazy low of so.

Jack confirmed it several months ago. The high end pin market is never going to see high quantities like Stern Pros and even Stern Premiums.

Batman66 also appears to be a light seller, likely due to the pricing. According to Pinside ownership, there's a lot more Dialed In owners than Batman66 owners.

#472 5 years ago

Dialed In suffered because it's an original theme.

#473 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

And a bad one....

#474 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Then what's Batman 66's excuse? It's a good game with a good theme? Similar pricing to JJP games.

#475 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

Then what's Batman 66's excuse? It's a good game with a good theme? ...

No - it's a good game with an EXCELLENT theme!

#476 5 years ago

Damn 1500 is very low imo bc to me that game is just so good. I'm surprised. I wonder what the numbers on WoZ or hobbit are to compare. Did JJ comment on that number?

I'm continuing to listen to earlier episodes of this guy (kaneda) and it's much more calm/less trivial comments about pinsiders and he makes a lot of good points that I agree with. I def don't like the fake company interviews with sound clips though. Enjoying it.

#477 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Damn 1500 is very low imo bc to me that game is just so good. I'm surprised. I wonder what the numbers on WoZ or hobbit are to compare. Did JJ comment on that number?
    I'm continuing to listen to earlier episodes of this guy (kaneda) and it's much more calm/less trivial comments about pinsiders and he makes a lot of good points that I agree with. I def don't like the game interviews with sound clips though. Enjoying it.

Enjoy - better late than never eh? Only 293 episodes (not including deleted ones) to savor.

#478 5 years ago

I really think JJ should do a Dialed In reskin at some point. I really enjoy the gameplay, but the theme doesn't resonate with me.

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I really think JJ should do a Dialed In reskin at some point. I really enjoy the gameplay, but the theme doesn't resonate with me.

Well they can't all be your motordome or Hollywood heat.

#480 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Agreed.

#481 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I'm continuing to listen to earlier episodes of this guy (kaneda) and it's much more calm/less trivial comments about pinsiders and he makes a lot of good points that I agree with. I def don't like the fake company interviews with sound clips though. Enjoying it.

It's not that it's a bad podcast, it's the person behind the podcast that is the main driver of all the angst and strong opinions on the show.

He's proven time and time again to be narcissistic, vindictive, dishonest, and manipulative. I think it's a shame people feed his ego, but whatever.

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

it was a straight swap

#483 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

it was a straight swap

According to who?

#485 5 years ago

I listen to Kaneda most of the time, it helps with my insomnia. He has a soothing voice (except when he’s drunk and angry) but the problem with his podcasts is that they’re so damn repetitive. All he talks about are the manufacturers, and if there’s no crisis going on with any of them, a la Dutch or Heighway, he’ll just concoct something such as he does with JJP.
    POTC is a classic case in point. He is too lazy or disinterested to learn the rules so it’s all too hard for him. The ball doesn’t do enough exciting stuff for him...it gets slapped around a rocking boat, gets spun on a disc and gets fired from a cannon - but that’s seemingly not enough! If ever there was his ‘world under glass’ it’s Pirates - but he needs some drama and a target and that’s about all there is for him. If he bothered to explore the machine properly he’d undoubtedly have a different view. But he’s not interested in the game of pinball, all he cares about is any drama with the manufacturers and after a while that well gets pretty dry.

And how cringeworthy was it in the last episode when he was crying about how Ryan C from H2H wasn’t his friend any more! I do wonder what went down there (but would be surprised if Ryan ever classified his relationship as friendship)

#486 5 years ago

Enjoyed the recent (like last month) episode of Slam Tilt with Eclectic Gamers as guests; they did about 90 min of “game you like, game you hate” for 15 or so solid state manufacturers. Also loved their episode with the game designer from Sega from a couple months back.

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well they can't all be your motordome or Hollywood heat.

Not all of us are rich, self appointed gods of pinside.

#488 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigStiffy:

It's not that it's a bad podcast, it's the person behind the podcast that is the main driver of all the angst and strong opinions on the show.
    He's proven time and time again to be narcissistic, vindictive, dishonest, and manipulative. I think it's a shame people feed his ego, but whatever.

LOL the irony is you are feeding his ego by quoting a pinsider praising the Kcast and continuing keeping him in the thread spotlight

#489 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

OK defenders of K, explain the value of that episode.

Pure entertainment if I blocked all egotistical ass holes on pinside all the habitual poster would be blocked and there would be nothing to read

#490 5 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Pros
    Friendly, respectful and good vibe
    No slamming, no shilling, no drama
    Long sometimes very long
    Good mix of interviews, tech talk, news that should be covered and recently plumbing disasters lol
    Cons
    Only monthly so to most that follow Pinside are listening to older news
    More off topic ( if you only want pinball )
    All I can say is give em a listen and enjoy!
    On a side note, I am likely to be voting Head2Head, I didn't do any twipy voting last year and oh my.....I hope this year's results are more realistic.

I find what you say funny as because of this thread I listened to two head2head podcasts and in one they did both shill and slam love their interviews but in the future that is all i will listen to

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You know how some people say "don't buy the first year of a new car..."? The same can be said about the first samples of a complex mechanical assembly like a pinball machine. Nearly ever game has these kinds of growing pains on the assembly line. Be greatful it's just production issues at this point and not design failures or parts reliability.
    This is not some JJP specific issue... every vendor goes through this. Would you like to see zero issues? Of course... but early games are really susceptible to this. If that's the kind of stuff that freaks you out... don't be at the front of the line. That's how you insulate yourself if you don't want to be bleeding edge
    The problem with the podcast commentary on this is he takes valid observations and leads them into complete bs like this. Critiquing and telling people how it needs to be fixed? Who made chris a production and manufacturing expert?

I call BS JJP fans go on and on how JJP has these long wait times so that they can put games out in the wild and iron all the issues out

#492 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I find what you say funny as because of this thread I listened to two head2head podcasts

I am not sure you read me correctly. Broken token was my pros and cons list.

I jumped around in my post.

And Kman's true colors episode. How perfectly titled. Listen at about 34min -35:30min mark. Yeah that's the true colors of that guy.

#493 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Not all of us are rich, self appointed gods of pinside.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm "Rich."

#494 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I call BS JJP fans go on and on how JJP has these long wait times so that they can put games out in the wild and iron all the issues out

Well their made up stories don't have anything to do with my comment.

And besides.. unless those early samples are going down the same production steps... they really have little to do with later games in terms of assembly issues.

#495 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

they really have little to do with later games in terms of assembly issues.

Whether it does or does not have little to do with later games I have heard many time from fans that is why for the long wait time

#496 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Whether it does or does not have little to do with later games I have heard many time from fans that is why for the long wait time

"I heard it on the internet.."

#497 5 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Great recent Holiday Special episode of Special When Lit. Amazing how many voices they got on the episode and all the work that went into it. Fantastic listen if you get the chance!

Thanks! Lots of work went into that and I appreciate the nice words. We had 40 people on that show including Zombie Yeti, Chritopher Franchi, Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies), Jersey Jack, Chuck Emery (Spooky Pinball), Zach and Greg (SDTM), Marty and Ryan (Head2Head), Kaneda, Jack Danger (Dead Flip), George Gomez, Gary Stern, and more. Fun listen regardless of what podcast you listen to as so many contributed. Link below if anyone cares to listen. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-30-holiday-special

#498 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Thanks! Lots of work went into that and I appreciate the nice words. We had 40 people on that show including Zombie Yeti, Chritopher Franchi, Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies), Jersey Jack, Chuck Emery (Spooky Pinball), Zach and Greg (SDTM), Marty and Ryan (Head2Head), Kaneda, Jack Danger (Dead Flip), George Gomez, Gary Stern, and more. Fun listen regardless of what podcast you listen to as so many contributed. Link below if anyone cares to listen. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
    http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-30-holiday-special

Sounds great will definitely listen thanks guys and merry Christmas!

#499 5 years ago

I used to subscribe to many different podcasts, but I've dropped nearly all of them over time. Most of them because the people running it just stopped doing it, like C2C and Coinbox. Broken Token is one I never got into, mostly because of their interminable length. The only I remember actively dropping because I didn't like it anymore was This Flippin' Podcast. That was mostly due to the lack of integrity of its hosts. They spent an entire episode lecturing listeners about women in pinball, and the next episode...oops! Tommy was cheating on his girlfriend for a year. Taylor complained about Stern quality control for almost half an episode, then bought Ghostbusters a week later while insisting he wasn't a hypocrite. That pretty much knocked me out of the box for them.

In general, what's kept me from enjoying more podcasts is that they are usually current events based, and the current events have been:

1) Stern cheaping out, charging huge prices and not finishing code for years. (Is KISS finally done?)
    2) JJP having themes people don't like, charging huger prices and being months (years?) behind schedule.
    3) Skit-B's a scam.
    4) Jpop's a scam.
    5) Heighway's a scam.
    6) Dutch is a scam.
    7) Homepin's a scam.
    8) Wrath of Olympus was stillborn.
    9) Spooky's cool, but small.
    10) Older games are even more expensive now.
    11) A billion tournaments I don't care about.
    12) Trudeau's a pedo.

How are you supposed to get people excited about that? Without really trying, the overwhelming negativity surrounding the hobby made the podcasts more negative, and I'm not about that. It's left me with Spooky, For Amusement Only and Bro Show Monthly. At least everybody gets what they ordered in a reasonable time with Spooky. The EMs are something different. Buffalo Pinball is in with JJP, but I've never felt like they were biased. They've given too many high grades to Stern for me to think that. I've started with Pinball News and This Week in Pinball, but it sounds like they're mostly about stuff on their web sites, so I'm not sure if I'll continue. Podcasts were a big part of my pinball fandom, and its a shame how quickly it's fallen the past few years.

#500 5 years ago
    Quoted from CarShark:

Podcasts were a big part of my pinball fandom, and its a shame how quickly it's fallen the past few years.

I disagree with this. I miss Coast2Coast and Topcast and Pinheadz and others, but there are so many podcast choices now you should be able to find something you like!

You didn't list Head2Head - have you checked them out? Just glancing at their website, in the last few months they've interviewed Zach Sharpe, Lyman Sheats, Jack Guarnieri, Chris Granner, Chris Franchi, Joe Kaminkow, Raymond Davidson, Josh Kugler, Jean-Paul de Win, Roger Sharpe, George Gomez, Tanio Klyce, Scott Danesi, Dennis Nordman, etc.

Also if you haven't seen it, here is a list of pinball podcasts: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/definitive-pinside-pinball-podcast-list

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/10?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.