Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you listen to pinball podcasts?”

• Zero 149 votes
      35%
    • One 77 votes
      18%
    • Two 59 votes
      14%
    • Three 58 votes
      14%
    • Four 19 votes
      4%
    • Five or more 64 votes
      15%

(426 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

logo.gif
    3627410F-7F6C-4B2B-8058-444D5A3EB381 (resized).jpeg
    27AF85DD-03DB-4F85-8AF6-B8077711836B (resized).jpeg
    975ED4CB-83ED-4AB4-A352-D848103A1958 (resized).jpeg
    renaissance02 (resized).jpg
    Citizens Arrest (resized).jpg
    jersey-shore (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    never (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 2 (resized).jpg
    Brian Eddy 1 (resized).jpg
    wrk again (resized).jpg
    20181213_180407 (resized).jpg
    656DDDF3-0784-448F-B031-F51D212985EB (resized).jpeg
    pasted (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
    #1 5 years ago

Topic to answer the question and discuss.
    How many (if any) Pinball Podcasts do you regularly listen to/subscribe to?

#4 5 years ago

I listen to a few (particularly for Roger Sharpe, Ben Heck, manufacturer, designer, artist, etc. interviews), can't stand most, but only listen to one on a regular basis, and will even listen to some episodes multiple times (this being K's Podcast while working on mods). As long as he never does the Tony Montana accent again, I'll keep listening

#5 5 years ago

I don't listen to ANY podcasts, pinball or otherwise, but i have been mentioned on at least three pinball ones that i know of, so i finally listened to that part of one of them after several pinpals asked me about it.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

As long as he never does the Tony Montana accent again, I'll keep listening

AKA: Jamaican Dr. Evil.

#7 5 years ago

Pinball pods are fun. And if they aren’t, don’t listen.

What happened to C2C? He took everything down. Dude could sure talk about himself a lot (boring and annoying) but he was tapped in and had good guests.

K is good, love the drama and ego centrism, and he understands entertainment value. He does get repetitive and also contradicts himself constantly. But what would the village be without it’s resident fool?

I listen to Straight Down the Middle the least, but I enjoy it when I listen.

Head to Head is the best overall, but way too long. I never finish an entire podcast. Very entertaining though, and great guests.

#8 5 years ago

Mainly on planes and in the car. And sometimes when I’m in a different time zone and need help getting my mind off work to fall asleep - can even fall asleep to K’s tirades. Really enjoyed C2C and all the old Topcast episodes when getting into the hobby.

#9 5 years ago

I'll listen to one every so often if it looks like it has an interesting topic or guest, otherwise, I'm not a regular listener for any particular podcast.

#10 5 years ago

Podcasts excite me about as much as the thought of hemorrhoid surgery.

#11 5 years ago

I’m either listening to podcasts, watching YouTube, or streaming Apple Music. It’s great having what you want when you want. I’m subscribed to K, sdtm and H2H - they are all very entertaining.

#12 5 years ago

i used to hate the idea of podcasts. then i found out spooky started off as one so i gave em a shot. now i listen to 11 pinball podcast's. I was just interviewed on the Pinball Profile by Jeff Teolis, EP 166. I wear headphones while at work, and i spend my whole day thinking about pinball, so its nice to have other peoples voices in my head for a change.

#13 5 years ago

When a topic is listed that peaks my interest I will listen.

#14 5 years ago

I listened to my first pod cast earlier this year. I though it was ok but got boring very quickly. I haven't listened to another one yet.

#15 5 years ago

They make the time fly on those 4hr drives. Before falling down the pinball rabbit hole, I listened to tech and automotive podcasts, and now I have added most of the pinball podcasts to my playlist.

Setting the player to only download when connected to wi-fi saves a ton of cell data.

#16 5 years ago

Yep. I've cut down on the number I listen to since I started the thread below a couple of months ago, but I still follow 6 or so.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-podcasts-fatigue

#17 5 years ago

Tried a few times, but they just ramble about nonsense

#18 5 years ago

I was listening to a couple of them but they got boring to me so i dont listen to them much anymore.

#19 5 years ago

When machines are too expensive and you can't afford them you do 4 things. Buy a playfield to hang on the wall , play on location, listen to pinball podcasts, read pinside a lot.

This one was fun...

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Tried a few times, but they just ramble about nonsense

It's like pinside threads in audio format.

#21 5 years ago

Even though it seems like there are a fair number...is there room for more? Should they have a more narrow focus? There is: gossip, news, restoring, repair, playing, tournaments, collecting, the industry, and more. Everyone cares about some combination of these things...but they also don't want to hear about the stuff they're not into. What's the fix for that? Shorter episodes with a narrow focus that are tagged so that people can only tune into the ones they care about?

#22 5 years ago

I stopped listening to the podcasts that were over 2 hours long... boring. Keep it short and sweet. SDTM is the best.

#23 5 years ago

Like the apparent majority on this thread who actually bother, my podcast diet primarily consists of That One and SDTM.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Should they have a more narrow focus?

Yes

Quoted from ryanwanger:

What's the fix for that? Shorter episodes with a narrow focus that are tagged so that people can only tune into the ones they care about?

I think this would make a difference. Not everyone wants to listen for say an hour and would like to get the nitty gritty in 20-30 mins.
    -Mike

#25 5 years ago

I tried to listen to the podcast that cannot be named. Never heard so much bitching. Ironically, half of it was bitching about other people's bitching. Maybe I chose a bad time to start listening or maybe just too much of a primadonna for my liking.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I tried to listen to the podcast that cannot be named. Never heard so much bitching. Ironically, half of it was bitching about other people's bitching. Maybe I chose a bad time to start listening or maybe just too much of a primadonna for my liking.

The K-man does tend to bitch a bit, but on the flip side, he speaks his mind and is not afraid of pissing off the various pinball manufacturers as most other podcasters seem to be. He also says a lot of positive things too, but these seem to get overshadowed by his reputation rightly or wrongly.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The K-man does tend to bitch a bit, but on the flip side, he speaks his mind and is not afraid of pissing off the various pinball manufacturers as most other podcasters seem to be. He also says a lot of positive things too, but these seem to get overshadowed by his reputation rightly or wrongly.

Too much negativity on his podcast.

The thing that rubs me the worst with him is he'll pump and promote a new game, flip his pre-order for cash, then either forget about it or trash it in later episodes. He has a good format and "radio voice", but I just don't thing he's sincere or even a very good person.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

The thing that rubs me the worst with him is he'll pump and promote a new game, flip his pre-order for cash, then either forget about it is trash it in later episodes. He has a good format and "radio voice", but I just don't thing he's sincere or even a very good person.

Interesting. Personally, I don't doubt his sincerity at all. I don't always agree with his views (particularly on games as he's not really an avid pinball game player) , but he's informative, has a good marketing sense, and is entertaining most of the time.

#29 5 years ago

I don't know much about his reputation and had an open mind. Just do not like the negativity and arrogance. It's pinball. It's supposed to be fun.

#30 5 years ago

I listen to a couple on and off when there isn't a new tech or sports podcast available. It's usually while doing dishes, mowing the lawn or driving to work. I listen at 1 1/2 speed to get through them quicker and some are better than others. I like K-mans because it gets right to the point, I was listening to a different podcast on my fifteen minute drive home and they were still doing the opening banter BS when I got home. And that was at 1 1/2 speed, yikes.

#31 5 years ago

I drive around a lot for my job, so I listen then. Kanedas is by far the best. I appreciate an honest opinion, and tend to agree with most of what he says. There are certainly things I don't agree with though, but I appreciate his honest look on stuff.

Head to Head is good, but I tend to skip to the segments I'm interested in. All the other stuff is too much for me to listen to.

TWIP stdm is good. Only thing with that one is I like watching the YouTube show, so it feels too repetitive to do both.

All are decent to listen to while at work driving around all day. I have other podcasts I listen to as well not pinball related though.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I listen to a couple on and off when there isn't a new tech or sports podcast available. It's usually while doing dishes, mowing the lawn or driving to work. I listen at 1 1/2 speed to get through them quicker and some are better than others. I like K-mans because it gets right to the point, I was listening to a different podcast on my fifteen minute drive home and they were still doing the opening banter BS when I got home. And that was at 1 1/2 speed, yikes.

Head to Head I assume. Yea, way too long, some of the episodes go over 3 hours. I gave up on that one. Get the episodes down to an hour or less and I'll listen again.

#33 5 years ago

I respect everyone's opinion on these. They certainly aren't for everyone.

I, for one, listen to everyone I can and have for sometime. I think it depends on ones insatiable need to be completely enveloped in pinball and maybe even depends on your level of obsession for the hobby. Yes, some run a little long for sure. Every time I would be frustrated with a rambling episode that goes onto long though, I would run across a gem like the Chris Granner interview by Head2Head, which I consider to be one of the most enjoyable pieces on pinball I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

As someone who enjoys them, and appreciate the effort and passion required to make them, kidchrisso and I finally decided to start one. We plan to stay at the 30-45 min mark with a weekly show. We are a nobody at this point but we have enthusiasm in spades and hope that we can make a commute less boring for someone at some point some where.

We have no alternative or nefarious motive to this. Neither Chris nor myself are looking for popularity, money, swag or even praise. We just love the hobby, so much so in fact that we would like to expand our circle of interaction, make some new friends, and have a lot of fun doing it.

It takes time and the pay is pretty pour but we really enjoyed doing the single intro we have (currently awaiting Apple and Google approval for the RSS feed). If someone enjoys it, perfect. If it is annoying, and comes across as self serving in some way, it is certainly not our intention, but I certainly respect any ones desire and right to avoid us, and any of the others.

Jason

#34 5 years ago

Never tuned in...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#35 5 years ago

I listen to the TWIP podcast for a weekly dose of pinball news. It seems that any more is overkill.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

The thing that rubs me the worst with him is he'll pump and promote a new game, flip his pre-order for cash, then either forget about it or trash it in later episodes. He has a good format and "radio voice", but I just don't thing he's sincere or even a very good person.

Good radio voice? He still can't pronounce the letter t most of the time. He has about 50 fans that think like he does and about 1450 of us listening for the train wreck.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

He has about 50 fans that think like he does and about 1450 of us listening for the train wreck.

but you have heard of him.

and it sounds as though he believes that train runs from lakewood, NJ to benton, WI via streamwood, IL.

sparrow01.gifsparrow01.gif
    #38 5 years ago

Interesting. Personally, I don't doubt his sincerity at all. I don't always agree with his views (particularly on games as he's not really an avid pinball game player) , but he's informative, has a good marketing sense, and is entertaining most of the time.

Well, he's been banned from multiple online forums inside and outside this hobby for trolling and harassment. He recently created a Facebook profile matching the personal name of a Pinside user just to harass him and make him look bad. Imagine someone doing that with your personal name and photos! He doesn't sound so sincere to me.... a real dirt bag actually.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Good radio voice? He still can't pronounce the letter t most of the time. He has about 50 fans that think like he does and about 1450 of us listening for the train wreck.

I suppose you're right.

Maybe he's just a good communicator (in general)? I've found people that are usually successful in sales have a persuasive, clear, and confident communications style.

Nate with Coast2Coast Pinball (also in sales) had a similar speaking style that was easy to listen to. I miss that podcast.

#40 5 years ago

Eeerrrrright?

Says literally every other word.

The radio voices are the Jeff’s. Pinball profile and pinball players podcast.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

and "radio voice",

WAT? No.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I suppose you're right.
    Maybe he's just a good communicator (in general)? I've found people that are usually successful in sales have a persuasive, clear, and confident communications style.
    Nate with Coast2Coast Pinball (also in sales) had a similar speaking style that was easy to listen to. I miss that podcast.

I agree, Nate was always very professional.

#43 5 years ago

Head2Head and Pinball Profile for me.

Best ones IMO.

#44 5 years ago

I like to record myself grumbling about various pinball topics then play it back on my 8-track player while on the toilet. It helps keep me regular.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I agree, Nate was always very professional.

I'm a big fan of Nate's Coast2Coast podcast and wish he still had the time to do them more frequently.

My one wish (and I fully realize that this is a double edged sword) was that he was a little less risk averse in his interviews and information provided. Tended to ask too many "softball" interview questions and provide less than a completely objective business/games perspective.

#46 5 years ago

I started listening to Nate. Loved C2C back in the day. Was sad when the production dropped off.

Then i found K-man. My favorite by far. I don’t always agree- but most of his points are well reasoned and he’s not afraid of controversy. The sheer volume he puts out is amazing. I find him entertaining. I think he’ll be a two-time TWIPPY winner.

Also love Greg and Zach from SDTM.

For me- it’s about personality and information. These 3 podcasts have it in spades. No offense to any other podcasts- but I’m not as entertained as I am with these guys and after a while it becomes over-saturation. Not too interested in tournament play or anything like that. I like the business talk. I like the opinions of machines new and old.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheCreature:

I started listening to Nate. Loved C2C back in the day. Was sad when the production dropped off.
    Then i found K-man. My favorite by far. I don’t always agree- but most of his points are well reasoned and he’s not afraid of controversy. The sheer volume he puts out is amazing. I find him entertaining. I think he’ll be a two-time TWIPPY winner.
    Also love Greg and Zach from SDTM.
    For me- it’s about personality and information. These 3 podcasts have it in spades. No offense to any other podcasts- but I’m not as entertained as I am with these guys and after a while it becomes over-saturation. Not too interested in tournament play or anything like that. I like the business talk. I like the opinions of machines new and old.

+1

I like the SDTM YouTube episodes, but have stopped listening to Zach's TWIP podcast as it's just too dull (and redundant) for me.

Although their episodes are typically REALLY long, I like Head2Head as well for the information and perspectives Ryan C and Martin ("Motty") provide.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Podcasts excite me about as much as the thought of hemorrhoid surgery.

Until you have it, then Podcasts are waaaaaaaay better!

#49 5 years ago

It turns out I’m an auditory learner and already a huge consumer of Audible and audiobooks. Podcasts are a natural fit for my interests.

I listen to several, but skip episodes on all of them. I do enjoy both the content and the hosts presentation. Many times, the same news is recycled between shows.

There is a Podcast for everyone, if you are more tournament oreinted, there’s a whole group out there for that as well. These are the ones I seem to have gravitated towards that are still recording regularly.

This Flippin Podcast - This is not a re-hash of everyone else’s news. It seems like they have been at it longer than all of the ones below.
    Head 2 Head - Funny.
    Pinball Profile - depends on the guest, but Jeff is a good host.
    Special When Lit - I’m recently on board here, maybe 6 months.
    TWIP- I enjoy it more if there is a guest and or a co-host.

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.