(Topic ID: 241997)

Do you like the 5141 "HOT" coil for EM flippers?

By wrd1972_PinDoc

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Just recently installed some 5141 HOT coils on the flippers for a Gottlieb Duotron. Wow these really felt nice and definitely had more power that what I removed. BUT are the not TRUE to an EM machine? Are they too much for your basic EM and impact the "feel" of an EM?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-5141-HOT

Thoughts.

#2 4 years ago

I believe this was debated and agreed to 100% by everyone at one time. Search for yellow dot or orange dot for the results. I forgot how it turned out?

#3 4 years ago

I have orange dot coils on a game that I am considering removing.

I put yellow dots on one game and it was just too much.

If they're rebuilt well in most cases probably not needed. I've had better luck high tapping games.

#4 4 years ago

I have found yellow dot way over powerful for an Em. On the other hand on some games I have found orange dot a nice balance between too much and not enough power

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I have found yellow dot way over powerful for an Em. On the other hand on some games I have found orange dot a nice balance between too much and not enough power

Depends on the individual game, resistance in wiring, etc. I have the hot coils on Domino and they work fine.

#6 4 years ago

I have to agree with Wayner. Some Gottlieb machines from the early 70s just had marginal performing flippers and as an older game, needed to be rebuilt with new sleeves, bakelite links, and EOS switches and otherwise optimized. If the flippers still felt weak, I have had good experience with the orange dot coils that PBR sells. They seems to present an incremental improvement in strength. However, I found the yellow dot models to be too strong in the two machines I tried them in.

#7 4 years ago

An easy way to gain some power in the flippers without exchanging the coils is to loosen the flipper return springs. They are sometimes absorbing a lot of power. They are secured to the bushing and you can "loosen" them by 1/3rd, 2/3rd or a whole turn...as long as the bat is returning properly of course. It doesn't count for the latest EM games like Bronco where the newer flippermechanisms are used.

#8 4 years ago

Don't do it on games that have close to the flippers drop targets like fast draw.... snapped a couple of targets instantly after doing it and went back.

#9 4 years ago

put orange dot on my EM... wow really brought the game to life..

#10 4 years ago

I’ve fixed up maybe 50 EMs and never felt like any needed ‘bumped up’ flippers, pop bumpers etc. but if I was going to do it, I’d go with the smallest boost possible.

#11 4 years ago

I have a Gottlieb 1958 Double Action that had weak flippers, so I order 2 new coils (regular), cleaned everything up and it was a little better. After many games, I still wasn't satisfied so I order some 5141-yellow dots and did not have time to install them. Then I stumbled on this thread... and after reading.... what MarAlb wrote, I tried it and wow that made a difference which I'm happy with (now I have 2 yellow dot coils in my parts bin).

"An easy way to gain some power in the flippers without exchanging the coils is to loosen the flipper return springs. They are sometimes absorbing a lot of power. They are secured to the bushing and you can "loosen" them by 1/3rd, 2/3rd or a whole turn...as long as the bat is returning properly of course"

Thank you @MarAlb, I gave you a thumbs up on that one!

Steve

#12 4 years ago

My experience with the dot coils has been that they're more effective than going high tap.

#13 4 years ago

A-5141 coil feels normal on the right flipper of a Wizard! That is how the game was set up when I first played it back in the day.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-like-the-5141hot-coil-for-em-flippers?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.