Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like music pins?”

• Yes, love them! 110 votes
      43%
    • No, don't care for them. 58 votes
      23%
    • Indifferent, as long as the layout and code is good. 87 votes
      34%

(255 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B22551A8-5016-4FE1-953B-70B98911E094 (resized).jpeg
    21F1D698-B124-4499-8748-2495D1D2EC92 (resized).jpeg
    7B50D508-2465-4A53-8DE6-F7DBE5D71C75 (resized).jpeg
    24B4FB1B-3B71-43F9-BC28-C9DD92B79C6E (resized).jpeg
    989F4F4C-6E1F-4F3D-ADB6-E073F4AF723E (resized).jpeg
    F144AD32-E2BC-43E2-9700-CF0E61DC2FC2 (resized).jpeg
    B71C9C3A-F3C4-4FE2-A453-0EBC86838970 (resized).jpeg
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Generally speaking, yes, I do like music pins, especially MET and Maiden. I enjoy playing those. AC/DC and KISS are also fun.

I always enjoy playing music pins on location, but don't think I could ever own one in my collection. It would have to be something i'm really into.

Sometimes I see statements that list popular artists who have hundreds of millions in record sales are the most deserving of themes. I don't care how many album sales an artist has had, if their music doesn't translate well to a pinball experience, i'm not interested. I feel that way about Aerosmith. It's not a bad pin, but I just don't feel involved with the experience of that theme. Was never a fan of Aerosmith. I don't feel their radio-hit music.

Speed metal and Industrial music are the best genres that can be used for pinball. It's an adrenaline rush when I have a good game on MET while listening to "Ride the Lightning." I hope we get something down the road involving Industrial style music, with NIN being the best possible choice. Megadeth and Slayer would make great metal themes, also. I wish Sepultura had stayed as big as they were in the 90s.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from MacLean:

Sorry, gotta disagree. You don't have to love Iron Maiden or Metallica to enjoy 2 of the best pinball experiences ever!

I don’t have to love them to enjoy playing on location, but I have to love them to own the pins. Just my opinion, but I have limited space, and other themes appeal to me more.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from MacLean:

Tatman, you f'en rock, brother! You have my dream collection.
    Although, I don't see IM?

There is my IM

B22551A8-5016-4FE1-953B-70B98911E094 (resized).jpegB22551A8-5016-4FE1-953B-70B98911E094 (resized).jpeg
    #54 5 years ago

I don’t care how good a song is if I’ve heard it too many times I’ve heard it too many times.

#59 5 years ago

My issue with music pins is that I don't get any new music. Metallica is one of my absolute favorite bands. As of late I also have gotten into Iron Maiden (thank you, Pinside !). The early Alice Cooper stuff is great and so is his latest release. I enjoy very much Kiss and ACDC as well. Rocks and Toys in the Attic are about as good as it gets. That's why I have CDs and mp3s. I don't really need a pinball game to select which songs I hear. I want original music like on DI or clever, new variations on a theme like GB.

The use of already existing music is also an issue I have with most newer pins, not just the "music" pins.

#60 5 years ago

Music pins are great. I do think the music pins should be “theme’d” as well though. Iron Maiden is so awesome because it the “Legacy of the Beast” theme and not just “help them jam in concert”.

I’d love to see more music pins with themes, Nirvana fights off Alien Invasion; Smashing Pumpkins Defend a Medievil Castle; Megadeath fends off zombies; Offspring Crazy Taxi; etc

Spooky is doing this with the Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Until Stern releases an H&R Block pin, I’d give AC/DC another shot.
    The songs ARE the stories, few pins have them as well integrated.

I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me - I don't really enjoy AC/DC's music, so the songs mean nothing to me. You play the War Machine mode and they say "war machine, war machine", and you hit the spinner and a little animation of an airplane drops bombs. I like the Kerins tutorial because he says things like "you have to get all the stuff" and "I have five progress", which basically sums up my emotional involvement when I play it. Light X, apply multiplication factor of Y, associate with mode e2, factor via long division into multiball. You either have to really enjoy that style of play, or enjoy AC/DC's music, which admittedly is a pretty inclusive venn diagram, which is why I'm not really knocking the games themselves because clearly people enjoy them, but it's kind of like white noise to me.

#62 5 years ago

I'm into (among other things) punk and metal and rock. Music pins don't do it for me because they feature (by necessity) corporate milquetoast bands and scream "MID LIFE CRISIS." It's like hats. Does the band's merchandise include hats? If they make hats, they usually suck.

Aerosmith? Well, that's about as edgy as ordering a Big Mac with extra pickles. I had a buddy who worked as an Aerosmith roadie. His job was to operate the fan that blew Steven Tyler's hair back during the ballads. They also took naps every day on tour. Man, that's livin' WILD. The only appropriate use of the terrible song "Dude Looks like a Lady" would be in a Mrs. Doubtfire pin. I would play a Mrs. Doubtfire pin on location if you're reading this, DeepRoot.

Metallica? Kill 'em All was a good album, every other record was a commercial wimp-out and after Justice they were, without a doubt, the worst band in the world. Ever since I saw Some Kind of Monster I cannot, in any way, ever think those dudes in any way resemble cool people. I would only buy this pin if the object was to bash Lars Ulrich in the face, teach Kirk Hammett a new guitar lick, and get James Hetfield to start drinking again. And maybe there could be Wrath of Dave Mustaine and Zombie Cliff Burton multiballs. How do they do a Metallica pin and not let Pushead do the art? (Oh, right, because Metallica contractually screwed Pushead over because they are corporate dorks.). I'm surprised Lars Ulrich doesn't try to issue takedowns to the PAPA Channel for streaming footage of the gameplay without paying him a royalty. Metallica is so lame that nothing can redeem this game.

Kiss? meh. Rob Zombie is terrible. I don't want to look at AC/DC. Elvis ... I dunno if you're gonna go back to ancient history why not make a Liszt pin? At least the music would be public domain and fast as hell.

I like early Alice Cooper. Would be OK with this one depending on the modes and design; haven't seen enough of it.

Iron Maiden? Best music pin so far. I don't have to look at geriatric Nicko McBrain, Zombie Yeti's version of Derek Riggs' work looks fine. The design of the game is shockingly unlike a Stern game (it's fun, it looks like more than $200 worth of parts went into it, it's got some new design ideas, it wasn't designed by a sex offender, etc.). Cool N64-quality animations for the kids who are nostalgic for low-poly graphics of the the late '90s. Iron Maiden is the best of the bands with music pins, but they are still kinda "gifted class" metal in my book. Wouldn't mind this machine in my house but won't buy one because it will be on location for years most likely.

#63 5 years ago

The downer for me with music pins is that I don't like lyrics in the music on pinball. With the other sounds and callouts constantly going off it just gets messy. "Lick it up, lick .. DEMON LOCK ONE .. oooh oooh oooh" or "Run too the hills, run for your ... SHOOT THE SARCOPHAGUS" Ugh. No.

The only music pin I have is Metallica, and I replaced all the songs with instrumental versions (same songs) to remove the singing.

#64 5 years ago

I forgot to add that from a "this would be a cool pinball theme with good music" standpoint, it would be awesome to see a properly executed Wu Tang Clan pin. There are so many possibilities for modes, callouts, music, and tie-ins with the vintage low-budget kung fu film libraries that Wu Tang Clan own rights to. I'm not sure it would be marketable (you'd be looking at the 30 yo and up age demographic; WuTang's fanbase was ethnically diverse and pretty cultish).

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me - I don't really enjoy AC/DC's music, so the songs mean nothing to me. You play the War Machine mode and they say "war machine, war machine", and you hit the spinner and a little animation of an airplane drops bombs. I like the Kerins tutorial because he says things like "you have to get all the stuff" and "I have five progress", which basically sums up my emotional involvement when I play it. Light X, apply multiplication factor of Y, associate with mode e2, factor via long division into multiball. You either have to really enjoy that style of play, or enjoy AC/DC's music, which admittedly is a pretty inclusive venn diagram, which is why I'm not really knocking the games themselves because clearly people enjoy them, but it's kind of like white noise to me.

There are so many ACDCs out there that I think this would be a good candidate for a complete re-theme in like 25 years. Just strip it down and make something cooler out of it.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

I forgot to add that from a "this would be a cool pinball theme with good music" standpoint, it would be awesome to see a properly executed Wu Tang Clan pin. There are so many possibilities for modes, callouts, music, and tie-ins with the vintage low-budget kung fu film libraries that Wu Tang Clan own rights to. I'm not sure it would be marketable (you'd be looking at the 30 yo and up age demographic; WuTang's fanbase was ethnically diverse and pretty cultish).

WuTang would be amazing. Early 90s hip hop hits the late 30s to late 40s demographic. The problem is that most people that were into WuTang don’t care about pinball. Pretty sure you and I would be in the minority.

#67 5 years ago

I have to say no, I don't like music pins. Of course I'm picking top an IMDN Pro next weekend at SFGE, so... Iron Maiden happens to be one of my favorite bands, but beyond that this game doesn't have the usual music pin setup. The band is nowhere to be seen, none of the graphics or animations depict the band playing a concert, etc. As others have said the Legacy of the Beast comic theme makes this unlike the other music pins...

MET is very good also, making these the two standouts among music pins IMO.

I'll never own a AS, AC/DC, or Kiss, or any games in that style.

#68 5 years ago

oops, I meant Iron Maiden not Iron Man, but let me guess, it's on it's way ... right?

With a collection of music pins like yours, Iron Maiden is a must!

#69 5 years ago

double oops! just saw your Iron Maiden! Wow! Nice collection my friend.

#70 5 years ago

total # of edgelords in AL as of 11 hours ago: 1.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-like-music-pins-poll/page/2?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.